• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

AH23

Hello all, I received an offer for signaller at Feltham. There's not enough words in the dictionary to describe just how happy and grateful I am... Especially for all the helpful advice here.

I know there are others still waiting for their results but just wanted to encourage everyone here to stay positive and keep trying.

It was several applications before I was successful and the best piece of advice I can give is read "all" the content on this forum and don't be afraid to ask for advice.

Don't suppose anyone here has rough idea of what the rosters are like at Feltham please?
Congratulations
I’m waiting for a call back from HR about a few things and a proposed changed start date, what have they told you for a start date and IST?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jaytee1977

So pay in training for a grade 2 is around 26.5K, 12 months is the standard contract offered at the moment, after that a new offer will be made. Overtime is paid at 110% nights, 150% sundays, free day worked 125% and bank holiday 250% or 150% with day in lieu
Cheers @MikeyFord thanks for the info. So after signaller school I will be in training for the rest of the first 12 months then? Are there shift allowances paid or us it standard salary with additional money for what you have already mentioned?
Also if you are driven how fast can promotion come.
And can you give me an example of a typical roster. I am aware these differ between areas
Thank

I don't suppose anyone on here would know what signal boxes come under scarborough LOM's area by any chance

Last edited:

y0rkie287

If you’re given a start date two weeks before your IST date, what are you expected to do during those two weeks? In my case the start date is right before Christmas, with IST due to begin on the 3rd January. I emailed NR recruitment to ask them, but their reply didn’t make it clear what I’d be expected to do during those two weeks.
i'm in the same situation that you are, start date 19th december so waiting until after 19th september to do the medical due to the 3 month validity of the d&a test, then york at the start of january, which training centre are you going to?

Canonite

I’ve been reading this thread since I joined about 6yrs ago and I’m upto page 476, into early 2022.

The information everyone new needs is within this thread so I urge anyone to either read it or search within it.

I’m currently researching and prepping for my interview on 24th, having completed the Scenario Assessments.
I actually put too much effort into stressing about it, and should have just done it straight away. The things I read online were not the same as the questions I got so I think if you got this far, you’re already well equipped to do the test and clearly NR think that too.

Back to the prep I go

Woody27

I’ve been reading this thread since I joined about 6yrs ago and I’m upto page 476, into early 2022.

The information everyone new needs is within this thread so I urge anyone to either read it or search within it.

I’m currently researching and prepping for my interview on 24th, having completed the Scenario Assessments.
I actually put too much effort into stressing about it, and should have just done it straight away. The things I read online were not the same as the questions I got so I think if you got this far, you’re already well equipped to do the test and clearly NR think that too.

Back to the prep I go
Hi Canonite, I’ve been invited to interview and take the scenario assessment, I’ve also read all of this thread, taking screenshots of pages of interest, any up to date insights of the scenario assessment greatly appreciated!!

Leeward

Hi Canonite, I’ve been invited to interview and take the scenario assessment, I’ve also read all of this thread, taking screenshots of pages of interest, any up to date insights of the scenario assessment greatly appreciated!!

Which vacancy?

Canonite

To be totally honest the specifics on the forum threw a curveball. The questions and scenarios I took were different. However, all I would say is that all the information you need is either contained within the task Brief, or in the scenario description itself.
Info to help understand the role also available on Network Rail website. Also worth binge watching the specific videos on their YouTube channel also.

Woody27

To be totally honest the specifics on the forum threw a curveball. The questions and scenarios I took were different. However, all I would say is that all the information you need is either contained within the task Brief, or in the scenario description itself.
Info to help understand the role also available on Network Rail website. Also worth binge watching the specific videos on their YouTube channel also.
Thanks, any help really appreciated

Canonite

Thanks, any help really appreciated
I’m not sure what industry you’re from but they give you a Candidate Brief, digest and understand that prior to sitting down to do the scenarios. Make notes to cast back to as the Brief is relevant in terms of how you introduce yourself.

The scenarios themselves are fairly straight forward. If you’re of a safety first and hazard awareness mindset, with a methodical approach, the resolutions to the scenario will be second nature.

Before taking mine, I put too much attention into finding out exactly what the test involved. Reason I say I should have just done the test is that I read scenarios on here that I was not presented with on test which threw me a little bit.

Also, at this point I have no idea how I actually did as my virtual interview isn’t until next week, so it would be wrong of me to say “this is what you need to do” etc.

Leeward

I’ve also read all of this thread, taking screenshots of pages of interest

Yes, this thread is gold, embrace and absorb it. I have compiled an enormous package of reference material from this thread and from my own research which has proven VERY handy in my preparation for the interview next week. I feel immeasurably more confident than I did just a week or two ago.

Anybody else interviewing for the Worcester area vacancy?

Woody27

Yes, this thread is gold, embrace and absorb it. I have compiled an enormous package of reference material from this thread and from my own research which has proven VERY handy in my preparation for the interview next week. I feel immeasurably more confident than I did just a week or two ago.

It’s gold for sure, and the very best of luck to you mate

ArchangelA

Good luck! I've got 9 months in as a trainee signaller in the Birmingham area and you'll enjoy working in the Worcester area if you get the job. There are some good boxes down that way and some equally good people who work in them.

Kraken

Probably a stupid question, but is there any sort of uniform once you’re in your box?

You get issued jumpers, polo shirts, trousers and PPE if you need it. Down my way you can pretty much wear what you want to work though. I reckon I’d rather wear out company clothing that I don’t have to pay for rather than my own clothes.

Coppernob2014

You get issued jumpers, polo shirts, trousers and PPE if you need it. Down my way you can pretty much wear what you want to work though. I reckon I’d rather wear out company clothing that I don’t have to pay for rather than my own clothes.
I see you’re Lincolnshire, close to Stamford? My LOM is getting me a box near there apparently. Thanks for the answer! I’ll probably do the same. I imagine I’ll have boots at least because I’ll have a manual crossing not mechanical. (If I’m in the box my LOM says)

jimmyr4

Just been rejected for my second signaller application. Managed to get to the interview both times, and told I am on the reserve list, but still disappointing. However I will stick with it, this forum has been a massive help in preparing so thank you all!

Scooby123

H

I know I have asked before but keen to find out. Does anyone know which boxes fall under scarborough LOM's area. Thanks in advance
Hey,
As far as I’m aware there is Bridlington, Seamer, Weaverthorpe, Gristhorpe, Kirkham Abbey, Lebberston, Malton, Strensall and I believe maybe Barton Hill.

Jaytee1977

Hey,
As far as I’m aware there is Bridlington, Seamer, Weaverthorpe, Gristhorpe, Kirkham Abbey, Lebberston, Malton, Strensall and I believe maybe Barton Hill.
Scooby123 thanks for that helpful information.
I assumed Bridlington would be a separate area and I thought Malton, Kirkham Abbey, Strensall and Barton Hill would be a separate area or under York. Eye opener. Bigger area than I thought

ArchangelA

Just been rejected for my second signaller application. Managed to get to the interview both times, and told I am on the reserve list, but still disappointing. However I will stick with it, this forum has been a massive help in preparing so thank you all!
Stick with it and don't give up! It took me over 6 attempts and I was put on a reserve list (without even being told) and received a call out of the blue offering me the job. I know it can be painful but please be patient.

Kraken

Stick with it and don't give up! It took me over 6 attempts and I was put on a reserve list (without even being told) and received a call out of the blue offering me the job. I know it can be painful but please be patient.

Got the job on my 10th application here! Just got to keep plugging away, it is something of a numbers game.

Hylo

Nice to see people sharing their failures as well as successes. I've been applying, reading, learning and trying to improve my interview technique for nearly two years and I've just had a great interview today so here's hoping.

Woody27

Nice to see people sharing their failures as well as successes. I've been applying, reading, learning and trying to improve my interview technique for nearly two years and I've just had a great interview today so here's hoping.
Best of luck to you, got my interview in a couple of weeks, this forum as been a game changer, time for prep, prep and prep!!

Pablo65

Scooby123 thanks for that helpful information.
I assumed Bridlington would be a separate area and I thought Malton, Kirkham Abbey, Strensall and Barton Hill would be a separate area or under York. Eye opener. Bigger area than I thought
Not Strensall or Barton Hill. They come under Out Stations

Canonite

As others have said, they often end up on a reserve list or talent pool, then receive a call with a job offer completely out of nowhere, so don’t be disheartened and just keep trying. Id like to think when they see the same name cropping up for interview stage, they know that person ain’t going away until they get a job ;)

To get all the way through to interview is an achievement in itself when you consider the amount of people that apply.

Woody27

Hi all, I have a signaller scenario assessment that needs to be completed by tomorrow, if I login today to have a practice, after practice, will I then go straight to assessment for real, or will I be able to logout and go back to it tomorrow? Hope that makes sense

I think there’s only one ‘practice’ scenario so there’s no point doing it more than once, and really it’s there for you to the practice the actual process rather than the answers. I don’t think there’s a huge amount of point of redoing it. I don’t know if you can log out and back in again so probably not worth the risk unless someone else confirms it.

I think it’s also worth saying (in general for the forum - not specifically to Woody27) that responding to scenarios is your life as a signaller, and that’s what they are testing for. How you respond to a situation when it happens, whether your instincts are sensible or not, etc.
Yes, in signalling there’s lots of rules to remember and certain things are repeated so often that you can do them in your sleep, but it’s also about reacting safely, correctly and logically, about using those non technical skills that are talked about in the interviews, and expecting the unexpected. Practicing for a specific test over and over hopefully shouldn’t be necessary.