• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Woody27

It wasn’t really about practicing the test , more about checking it out, to get a feel of it, ended up cracking on and completing it, a very unnatural experience, I think I covered most things, however, I’m a bit worried by the video quality of my answers, but rather than discard them, I uploaded them anyway!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jaytee1977

Morning guys
I completed the online assessments on 4th August. I'm just wondering how long it takes to find out if I did well and what is the next step

Woody27

Morning guys
I completed the online assessments on 4th August. I'm just wondering how long it takes to find out if I did well and what is the next step
Hi jaytee, you should get an email saying either you’ve not met the requirements needed, or you’ve passed the assessment and would be moved onto the next step, the time scale of this is difficult to say!

MikeyFord

Morning guys
It was about 3 weeks for me before you get an email inviting you for interview I have no idea of timescale if your not successful though I'm afraid.

89jordanbj

Is there anyone in here work in the park junction box in Newport? Do you know the hours/shift pattern?
I cover Park Junction as part of my relief role. I don't have the exact roster for the residents but it is a 12 hour roster working 3 or 4 days a week with a block of 8 days off every 4th week. The residents also get 2 Sundays each month (1 day shift, 1 night shift).

Jaytee1977

Hi jaytee, you should get an email saying either you’ve not met the requirements needed, or you’ve passed the assessment and would be moved onto the next step, the time scale of this is difficult to say!
Thanks #Woody27

It was about 3 weeks for me before you get an email inviting you for interview I have no idea of timescale if your not successful though I'm afraid.
Patience is they key then. Cheers @MikeyFord

Chrisjhbrown

My LOM has said he is going to try and get me in at Uffington, but not sure. I start IST on October 17th!
Will u be doing ab cause they are ab in that box , they liaise with us for line blocks on the Stamford’s and we test the bells , i been up there see what it’s like there side , if u wanna know anything let me know in a message !?

Railrunnerjb

I cover Park Junction as part of my relief role. I don't have the exact roster for the residents but it is a 12 hour roster working 3 or 4 days a week with a block of 8 days off every 4th week. The residents also get 2 Sundays each month (1 day shift, 1 night shift).
That sounds perfect! Im starting in there on the 12th Sep before Signalling School.

Jaytee1977

As a Grade 2 signaller what is the realistic pay they receive as I keep getting told that it is way more than the advertised salary.
Just a bit concerned with the impending doom of the cost of living. Which I'm sure we all are cheers

Coppernob2014

As a Grade 2 signaller what is the realistic pay they receive as I keep getting told that it is way more than the advertised salary.
Just a bit concerned with the impending doom of the cost of living. Which I'm sure we all are cheers
I’ve got an app on my phone which says take home for grade 2 is £1721 every four weeks.

However, someone asked about grade three and were told a figure higher than what my app says so don’t take it as gospel!

I was wondering if NR staff get discounted rail fares? I know part of the rejected terms from the strikes was 75% discounted?

Currently new employees of NR don’t get travel discount except for on season tickets (and it’s quite complex to explain so I won’t..!) but yes it seems it may be part of the deal in the current dispute. The non ops deal which they accepted included 75% off leisure travel and a better season ticket deal.

In terms of take home pay it really depends. Normally you can add a Sunday day and a Sunday night shift to your standard salary per 4 weeks, plus a week of nights at time plus 10%, so at grade 2 that’s in the region of £650 on top of basic (all pre tax obviously)

If you’re in a box with no nights or no Sunday then you won’t get that, or if you’re somewhere in need of lots of overtime you can take a lot more.

Jaytee1977

I’ve got an app on my phone which says take home for grade 2 is £1721 every four weeks.

However, someone asked about grade three and were told a figure higher than what my app says so don’t take it as gospel!

I was wondering if NR staff get discounted rail fares? I know part of the rejected terms from the strikes was 75% discounted?

Currently new employees of NR don’t get travel discount except for on season tickets (and it’s quite complex to explain so I won’t..!) but yes it seems it may be part of the deal in the current dispute. The non ops deal which they accepted included 75% off leisure travel and a better season ticket deal.

In terms of take home pay it really depends. Normally you can add a Sunday day and a Sunday night shift to your standard salary per 4 weeks, plus a week of nights at time plus 10%, so at grade 2 that’s in the region of £650 on top of basic (all pre tax obviously)

If you’re in a box with no nights or no Sunday then you won’t get that, or if you’re somewhere in need of lots of overtime you can take a lot more.

Coppernob2014

Thanks for the response. Can I also pester people for their opinion on Pensions? I’m not sure which to opt in to. I want to make sure I and my family have a good pay out when the time comes

Signal_Box

Just make sure you take the one and only chance to join the Railway Pension Scheme in year 5 of employment.

illberries

Can I ask what the app is you use please? :)

Coppernob2014

Can I ask what the app is you use please? :)
Sure, link is below! It’s not specific to Network Rail, but I’ve used it for years and usually gets it accurate.

Leeward

Just had my interview for Worcester area vacancy.

Despite all the preparation I admit I had a little bit of a rush of terror attack 5 mins before going in, haha. The LOM however was lovely and put me right at ease. It was certainly a more laid back interview than I was expecting. May have fumbled/drawn a blank one or two times but I was flowing well for the most part so I'm about 80% sure I impressed.

Just so glad it's over... for now.

nom de guerre

Generic salary calculator apps will likely underestimate the real take home pay for a signaller as they do not account for some of the 'guaranteed extras' (eg Sundays, night shift allowances and, depending on where you're based, regional allowances).

For staff who joined NR or its predecessor after 1995, the only discounted rail travel currently available is a (75%) season ticket subsidy, up to a maximum value of £2750.

Woody27

Despite all the preparation I admit I had a little bit of a rush of terror attack 5 mins before going in, haha. The LOM however was lovely and put me right at ease. It was certainly a more laid back interview than I was expecting. May have fumbled/drawn a blank one or two times but I was flowing well for the most part so I'm about 80% sure I impressed.

Mines next week for another position, nervous doesn’t cut it! I’ll prep as much as possible, but will probably just freeze hope all goes well for you

Ozifer212

I was at 9.30 this morning!... my first interview in a long time so was a little nervous but I crammed hard and although I waffled a bit, felt I held my own. The advice from this thread was really helpful and the interview was as expected and as described.
The LOM was indeed lovely and set a relaxed comfortable tone....
Good luck to you!... guess we find out soon so let us know

Leeward

I was at 9.30 this morning!... my first interview in a long time so was a little nervous but I crammed hard and although I waffled a bit, felt I held my own. The advice from this thread was really helpful and the interview was as expected and as described.
The LOM was indeed lovely and set a relaxed comfortable tone....
Good luck to you!... guess we find out soon so let us know

Oh good, glad you thought the same. It was also my first interview in many years, let alone a video one.

Were you also told that decisions would be made within the next three days?