• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sly Sloth

I’ve never told anyone that they won’t check your grades…

Think I’d rather sit them again then pay £100!
You said they rarely check……. That’s misleading
I had a route learner recently who had to do all 3 functional skills and he said it was a nightmare…. For the sake of £100!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gemz91

You said they rarely check……. That’s misleading
I had a route learner recently who had to do all 3 functional skills and he said it was a nightmare…. For the sake of £100!

Think you’ve mistaken me for another poster. I have no idea if they check or not but I would assume that they do, I wouldn’t advice lying on a job application though.

Sly Sloth

Think you’ve mistaken me for another poster. I have no idea if they check or not but I would assume that they do, I wouldn’t advice lying on a job application though.
Yes my bad was another poster…..the beauty of getting up at 3am for the 5rh day in a row making the mind believe the easy choice before it engages….apologies

Gemz91

Yes my bad was another poster…..the beauty of getting up at 3am for the 5rh day in a row making the mind believe the easy choice before it engages….apologies

No worries, just wanted to make it clear it wasn’t me, you never know who’s reading these forums and the trouble you can get into.

Sly Sloth

No worries, just wanted to make it clear it wasn’t me, you never know who’s reading these forums and the trouble you can get into.
Very true…. I worked out who someone on here was based on how they started every post/reply

gt1441

Hi All,
I used to work for a TOC as a depot driver about 3 years and left the company over a year ago for personal/family reasons.
Although I worked as a depot driver, I have full EU train driver license Issued by ORR. And I have had full train driver rules training with the mainline drivers in the academy. I have a small experience on driving on the mainline as part of the route from depot to the platforms was on the mainline and also I have done many mainline shunts but I didn't spend over 200 hours on the mainline with an instructor.
In the past year I have applied for a couple of qualified mainline driver jobs for different cities as I don't mind relocating but no luck.. Also applied for freight driving but same.. I sent emails to TOCs HR in order to see if I can apply mainline driver positions but no one got back to me, I also applied trainee train driver position, came to driver manager interview but I was unseccessful.
There was also no qualified depot driver advertising last year only trainee anywhere in the UK or I missed it.
I don't really know what to do. Should I keep applying for qualified mainline driver positions as there seems to be quite a few advertising? Should I wait to see if any TOC open qualified depot driver jobs? Should I try trainee jobs?
If anyone has got any suggestions, ideas or advice, I would be greatfull.

Class2ldn

Sorry to but to me you're not a mainline qualified driver, if you haven't done the minimum driving hours at your last toc then I dont see how you can be a qualified driver.
I've never heard of any depot drivers being classed a mainline qualified drivers.

gt1441

Sorry to but to me you're not a mainline qualified driver, if you haven't done the minimum driving hours at your last toc then I dont see how you can be a qualified driver.
I've never heard of any depot drivers being classed a mainline qualified drivers.
Thanks for the reply, any suggestions, ideas to get back to rail anybody?

Class2ldn

Its a shame you had to leave your old toc as obviously that would have been the best way of progressing to mainline.
I think now you'd have to apply for trainee jobs.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, any suggestions, ideas to get back to rail anybody?

At my TOC you would still be within competence as it takes 2yrs to fully expire. You could try and contact your old TOC and see if they would re employ you.

Samzino

There isn't any other options. Unless there is a qualified depot driver role(I haven't seen such personally) the only.option is to try and contact your old TOC as ComUToR says.

If you fall within the 2Yr validity and assuming you left on a good enough note then it could be possible to assume your old role. You would have to work an amount of time reliably if they gave you the chance again and then eventually they progress you to mainline if its something the TOC does.

From then as a Qualified driver could you possibly be able to return to service after a 1 or 2 year Gap by applying to Qualified Train driver roles.

Hope whatever is next goes well for you!

Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
I used to work for a TOC as a depot driver about 3 years and left the company over a year ago for personal/family reasons.
Although I worked as a depot driver, I have full EU train driver license Issued by ORR. And I have had full train driver rules training with the mainline drivers in the academy.
Blunt answer is that different companies will have different standards as to what they look for in qualified drivers. When they find the suitable candidate they will draw up a training plan for the elements needed to get you productive with your new company. Seeing as you weren't a mainline driver and have had a period out you will require significant additional training to become productive.

Companies will advertise for qualified drivers to get experienced staff in quickly.

Say for example they require 1 qualified driver. It's you vs someone with 10yrs mainline experience, already signs the routes with their current company and maybe some of the same traction. It's an absolute no-brainer to choose the other person as while on paper you're a qualified driver you'll require a lot of time to become productive.

NicMaz

Hello Everyone,

I am new here so not sure I am posting in the right place.

I have recently passed the managers interview with a TOC for Apprentice TD role. The recruitment team got back to me asking for GCSE certificates.
I am not from the UK originally and because I have studied English as a second language, my grade isn't equivalent to GCSE. (they have accepted math's)
Recruitment told me they would get back to me on the day after about what English certificates I should obtain to be passed to psychometrics, but I haven't heard from them ever since.

At the moment I am being kept in the dark.

I find this all a bit frustrating as I have been living and working here for almost 10 years. I have already passed 2 spoken interviews with this TOC and I have extensive proof about my level of English, but apparently the company / government will only accept GCSE grades or an equivalent certificate as proof. I am just not sure which one.. I wonder how non-British drivers have made it before.

Has anyone experienced this in the past? Or have heard anything about this? How should I approach the TOC?

Many Thanks for your help and all the best to all trainee drivers!

Cheers
N

AverageJoe

Hello Everyone,

I have recently passed the managers interview with a TOC for Apprentice TD role. The recruitment team got back to me asking for GCSE certificates.
I am not from the UK originally and because I have studied English as a second language, my grade isn't equivalent to GCSE. (they have accepted math's)
Recruitment told me they would get back to me on the day after about what English certificates I should obtain to be passed to psychometrics, but I haven't heard from them ever since.

I find this all a bit frustrating as I have been living and working here for almost 10 years. I have already passed 2 spoken interviews with this TOC and I have extensive proof about my level of English, but apparently the company / government will only accept GCSE grades or an equivalent certificate as proof. I am just not sure which one.. I wonder how non-British drivers have made it before.

Has anyone experienced this in the past? Or have heard anything about this? How should I approach the TOC?

Cheers
N
I’m British and I had to provide proof of English, maths, IT qualifications.

I didn’t have them so I was assigned to sit the functional skills exams.

It’s nothing to do with you not being a national it’s the fact that trainee train driver is now an apprenticeship so there is specific things they require.

I’ve know of some who have had degree’s in IT or were high level engineers with qualifications far higher than GCSE C standard but they still had to sit the exams and do it again because the qualifications they had couldn’t be accepted.

Hopefully they will be in touch and offer you the chance to take the functional skills.

If they don’t however it’s something you can pay for yourself to make sure you have the qualification in the future.

Last edited:

AndySV1K

I’m British and I had had to provide proof of English, maths, IT qualifications.

I didn’t have them so I was assigned to sit the functional skills exams.

It’s nothing to do with you not being a national it’s the fact that trainee train driver is now an apprenticeship so there is specific things they require.

I’ve know of some who have had degree’s in IT or were high level engineers with qualifications far higher than GCSE C standard but they still had to sit the exams and do it again because the qualifications they had couldn’t be accepted.

Hopefully they will be in touch and offer you the chance to take the functional skills.

If they don’t however it’s something you can pay for yourself to make sure you have the qualification in the future.

What were the functional skills like to get through? Been a long time since I left school!

LAbirdy

English and IT was pretty straightforward but I found maths a nightmare.

In the end with some homework I managed it.
Hi AverageJoe

How long did it take to get through the functional skills stuff as part of the apprenticeship whilst a trainee driver?

I think I’ll need to do at least maths and IT and probably English if I can’t find my very old GSCE results.

AndySV1K

Hi AverageJoe

How long did it take to get through the functional skills stuff as part of the apprenticeship whilst a trainee driver?

I think I’ll need to do at least maths and IT and probably English if I can’t find my very old GSCE results.

I’ve just started the training and we only have maths and English to do, no ICT.

it’s quite tough going as it’s been so many years since I was at school but I’m trying to study a bit each day and hopefully it will sink in before the exams.

AverageJoe

Hi AverageJoe

1 day per subject.

you come in, have a few hours worth of revision and then sit a test.

We were sent study material via email but none of us did it as were also working full time driving with our instructors.

marco sadler

Hello Everyone,

Cheers
N
its all about you getting you apprenticeship completed which is why its required