• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Inthe4foot

Hello guys. Quick one, Being a shunter driver in depot, do you actually hold train driving license? Or it’s depend on toc ?
Hi can only speak for myself, I’m a shed driver at nittingham. We did the same course as mainline drivers do and same traction training so we get a driving licence. Then when we apply for an internal mainline job we go out do 2/3 weeks high speed handling before mentoring. From what I understand the amount of hours required with a mentor mainline can vary depending on time on the shed. im guessing because there no required set hours in shed before being allowed to go mainline.

i am new to the railway and only been on since start of October 2020 and passed out April 2021 so i don’t really know about other company’s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomDC

Hi can only speak for myself, I’m a shed driver at nittingham. We did the same course as mainline drivers do and same traction training so we get a driving licence. Then when we apply for an internal mainline job we go out do 2/3 weeks high speed handling before mentoring. From what I understand the amount of hours required with a mentor mainline can vary depending on time on the shed. im guessing because there no required set hours in shed before being allowed to go mainline.

i am new to the railway and only been on since start of October 2020 and passed out April 2021 so i don’t really know about other company’s
Thank you for the info

meerkatclue

Hi all
Been invited to a train driver OPC assessment day, any ideas on what to expect? Been sent the info pack but it's always good to have abit of background knowledge aswell!
Any help would be greatly appreciated

NorthernTech

Hi all
Been invited to a train driver OPC assessment day, any ideas on what to expect? Been sent the info pack but it's always good to have abit of background knowledge aswell!
Any help would be greatly appreciated
You will be expected to go through each of the tests in the pack they have sent you, one by one. Paper tests first then onto Computer tests should you have passed the paper tests. If you then pass the computer tests you will get to do the MMI. Info for the MMI you will find via the search bar at the top. The test pack they sent will set you up for the majority of the tests ok, most people seem to spend more time practicing the dots test (group bourdon). When are you at the test centre and which one are you going to if you don’t mind me asking?

Last edited:

gemma09xx

Thank you for the info
I currently work at Central Rivers in Barton under needwood and the majority of our drivers are Maitenance Assistance, operations controllers and service assistance, all the training is done internally however to become an MA you need Engineering qualifications, The majority of SA's are taken from traincare and given an apprenteship in order to become a MA. None of our drivers require a licence as such just competancy assesments. However our depot has no areas that our drivers are required to go onto or cross a mainline route, they only time they do is on arrival and departure which the TOC drivers would do.

Last edited:

Llanelliturk

Hi all, are there any qualified train drivers who could recommend some reading which would be beneficial once I hopefully start my training? Been in a talent pool for over a year so hoping I get an offer of a training place soon and figured using my spare time now to start the steep learning curve would be helpful......

Class2ldn

The general consensus is not to read up ahead, I know you've had a wait but you'll be taught everything you need to know so just stay patient, you'll get there in the end

Tibbins

So I failed an assessment the other day! Is it true you only get two life’s (attempts) at becoming a train driver?

Welsh lady

So I failed an assessment the other day! Is it true you only get two life’s (attempts) at becoming a train driver?
You get two attempts at each test type.. so two paper, two computer. Make sure you practice and stay calm. You'll get it!

NorthernTech

You get two attempts at each test type.. so two paper, two computer. Make sure you practice and stay calm. You'll get it!
This description seems rather confusing.. Even though the tests ‘may’ be split up into separate days or done all in one day, or that they are deemed Paper tests or Computer Tests plus the MMI, my understanding of it is whether you fail the first test or the last, you lose one of your two lives. If you fail any of the tests a second time, you are done (unless the tests are officially altered/changed). Your description sounded like, in a roundabout fashion, that you may have 4 chances as they are split up..

TeddyTinker

This description seems rather confusing.. Even though the tests ‘may’ be split up into separate days or done all in one day, or that they are deemed Paper tests or Computer Tests plus the MMI, my understanding of it is whether you fail the first test or the last, you lose one of your two lives. If you fail any of the tests a second time, you are done (unless the tests are officially altered/changed). Your description sounded like, in a roundabout fashion, that you may have 4 chances as they are split up..
What about if you fail Standard and then an enhanced?
By enhanced I mean the DFFT, VSE, SJE.

Liam00086

Yes it’s only 2 try’s, unless they change the tests, in that case you get 2 try’s again.

Tibbins

I failed on the dots test, done like 7 lines but wasn’t fast enough! And also failed on a directory search test thing. Was really easy but the test wasn’t explained very well and there was a practice so basically went into it blind not knowing what to do! Annoying how easy I found these first set of paper tests but still failed! Never got to any computer tests!

richfoz84

Yes it’s 2 attempts! For me, I only say what I failed on my 2nd go! Took some stress away and could focus on the Bourdon test

NorthernTech

What about if you fail Standard and then an enhanced?
By enhanced I mean the DFFT, VSE, SJE.
The industry ‘standard‘ pass mark is the one where you have two attempts to pass, or that is chance over. The ’enhanced’ scores are TOC/FOC dependant. They may ask for higher scores in tests such as Group Bourdon and may ask for extra tests such as the DFFT. If you failed to hit the enhanced score for Group Bourdon (for example) but the score was above the standard pass mark, then you wouldn’t lose a life and are free to apply elsewhere unrestricted but you would not continue the testing at that point with that TOC/FOC. You may lose a life as such with that particular TOC (because they want a higher ‘enhanced’ score) but not with the industry as a whole, if that makes sense?! The SJE I don’t think is anything to do with enhanced scoring, just a test they use throughout all the psychometric tests to lead into the MMI.

JJ4

Hi All,
Firstly, a massive thank you to everybody on this site, the wealth of knowledge on offer here has been so helpful during the application process. I recently got past the shortlister interview for West Midlands Trains and I'm awaiting a date for the next stage but ideally want to start practising now. I have trawled through the varying threads (including this one) and seem to find differing info on what tests you do and whether they're on the same day, different days etc. Would be extremely grateful if somebody could just confirm the remaining stages of the application process and which ones take place on the same day. Is it as follows:
Psychometric assessments (paper based):
- Group Bourdon
- DFFT
- TEA-Occ

Psychometric assessments (computer based):
- WAFV
- ATAVT
- VSE

DMI

MMI

Medical

I've heard mention of a mechanical reasoning test also? I know the assessments probably vary depending on the TOC. Apologies, as I know this has probably been answered comprehensively and in length previously but I came up short using the search function and would welcome any pointers in the right direction.
Thanks in advance!

T-Karmel

Hi All,
Firstly, a massive thank you to everybody on this site, the wealth of knowledge on offer here has been so helpful during the application process. I recently got past the shortlister interview for West Midlands Trains and I'm awaiting a date for the next stage but ideally want to start practising now. I have trawled through the varying threads (including this one) and seem to find differing info on what tests you do and whether they're on the same day, different days etc. Would be extremely grateful if somebody could just confirm the remaining stages of the application process and which ones take place on the same day. Is it as follows:
Psychometric assessments (paper based):
- Group Bourdon
- DFFT
- TEA-Occ

Psychometric assessments (computer based):
- WAFV
- ATAVT
- VSE

DMI

MMI

Medical

I've heard mention of a mechanical reasoning test also? I know the assessments probably vary depending on the TOC. Apologies, as I know this has probably been answered comprehensively and in length previously but I came up short using the search function and would welcome any pointers in the right direction.
Thanks in advance!
As you mentioned, the order of the stages vary between TOCs/FOCs, however for what I know, DFFT and VSE forms the additional tests if required by the TOC. Now it seems that WMT have not given their permission to be on The OPC website and to disclose as to whether they use the national standard or an enhanced standard for their train driver recruitment
process, so I don't know which one they are.

There's more tests which form National Standard and they're missing on your list. These are:

Paper tests:
- Trainability for Rules & procedures Parts 1 and 2 (TRP)
- Written Communications Test (WCT)

Computerised tests:
- The Situational Judgement Exercise (SJE)

Worth mentioning for those who don't know that, MMI is part of the Psychometric assessments, whilst DMI and medical are not.

JJ4

As you mentioned, the order of the stages vary between TOCs/FOCs, however for what I know, DFFT and VSE forms the additional tests if required by the TOC. Now it seems that WMT have not given their permission to be on The OPC website and to disclose as to whether they use the national standard or an enhanced standard for their train driver recruitment
process, so I don't know which one they are.

There's more tests which form National Standard and they're missing on your list. These are:

Paper tests:
- Trainability for Rules & procedures Parts 1 and 2 (TRP)
- Written Communications Test (WCT)

Computerised tests:
- The Situational Judgement Exercise (SJE)

Worth mentioning for those who don't know that, MMI is part of the Psychometric assessments, whilst DMI and medical are not.
Thank you so much!

Kauntrilla

Hi, i have another question regarding tones. Can someone have an idea which one is high tone and which one is low tones. As i was practicing the Test of everyday attention with how2become and the software was counting the louder tone as low tone? Can someone kindly help me. Thanks in advance

centro-323

That's why those how2become tests are a bit dodgy at times. You'll know which is 'high' and which is 'low' on the day, simply because one will be higher than the other. As with all the tests, you get a practice round and a chance to ask questions at any point before the real test begins

Tibbins

Hi, i have another question regarding tones. Can someone have an idea which one is high tone and which one is low tones. As i was practicing the Test of everyday attention with how2become and the software was counting the louder tone as low tone? Can someone kindly help me. Thanks in advance
I’ve not long ago gone through that tests! It’s very easy. You get practice test at the beginning. Also the first beep you hear will always be the low tone, this is pointed out to you by the assessment person on the day!

I’ve not long ago gone through that tests! It’s very easy. You get practice test at the beginning. Also the first beep you hear will always be the low tone, this is pointed out to you by the assessment person on the day!
Isn’t that a little specific to you though? For example if I said, ‘oh yeah the bourden dots were an absolute piece of cake’. You didn’t pass them yourself Tibbins (I’m sure you will next time) - so saying something like it’s very easy simply isn’t true. But yes the low tone is always the first one and you can tell it apart from the high tone.

Luckyflames

Ignore those that say its easy. My advice would be. Just listen to the tones. When it’s the directory and tones together. Best of luck.

Interested to see how you found the Dfft ?

Tibbins

Isn’t that a little specific to you though? For example if I said, ‘oh yeah the bourden dots were an absolute piece of cake’. You didn’t pass them yourself Tibbins (I’m sure you will next time) - so saying something like it’s very easy simply isn’t true. But yes the low tone is always the first one and you can tell it apart from the high tone.
Ok that’s very true! And very good point. I never really practiced this test before hand. On the day it was easier then what I expected. Almost a rhythm to it. “Low, high, low, high, low, low”.

Ignore those that say its easy. My advice would be. Just listen to the tones. When it’s the directory and tones together. Best of luck.

Interested to see how you found the Dfft ?
Is that when you gotta go though the directory why listening to the beeps? If so badly! Could count alright but I went into that test not understanding what I had to circle off on the page. Wasn’t explained very well and I should of spoke up and asked what the lady was going on about

Luckyflames

Ok that’s very true! And very good point. I never really practiced this test before hand. On the day it was easier then what I expected. Almost a rhythm to it. “Low, high, low, high, low, low”.

Is that when you gotta go though the directory why listening to the beeps? If so badly! Could count alright but I went into that test not understanding what I had to circle off on the page. Wasn’t explained very well and I should of spoke up and asked what the lady was going on about
I’m very confused. As you said it was easy. But posted this ??? What wasn’t explained ?

I failed on the dots test, done like 7 lines but wasn’t fast enough! And also failed on a directory search test thing. Was really easy but the test wasn’t explained very well and there was a practice so basically went into it blind not knowing what to do! Annoying how easy I found these first set of paper tests but still failed! Never got to any computer tests!