• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

JJ4

Hi All,

Have the 2nd stage of my pschometric tests next week. I have been prepping for the MMI and was just hoping somebody may be able to shed some light on one specific question/scenario. Regarding the question that goes something along the lines of, 'Describe a time when you have been on a training course for over 2 weeks' I have written down an answer based around my time completing a year long (online) course as part of my policy apprenticeship. Would this be sufficient, or do they mean a training course where you're away from home for 2 weeks, given that you spend some time away (10 weeks?) learning the job if successful? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

B Boy 82

I’m still waiting to hear for October one I applied for. My application still says in process and I received an email stating they are still keen to review my application form but have so many applicants to review atm. I applied for Victoria so fingers crossed I’ll hear soon
Best of luck

Shunted

Hi All,

Have the 2nd stage of my pschometric tests next week. I have been prepping for the MMI and was just hoping somebody may be able to shed some light on one specific question/scenario. Regarding the question that goes something along the lines of, 'Describe a time when you have been on a training course for over 2 weeks' I have written down an answer based around my time completing a year long (online) course as part of my policy apprenticeship. Would this be sufficient, or do they mean a training course where you're away from home for 2 weeks, given that you spend some time away (10 weeks?) learning the job if successful? Thanks in advance.
It can be any type of learning course that requires you to study. The aim of this question is for you to show them that you are capable of completing the classroom training and are motivated to self study to achieve your goals.

Carl98k

It can be any type of learning course that requires you to study. The aim of this question is for you to show them that you are capable of completing the classroom training and are motivated to self study to achieve your goals.
Is there wrong or right answers? As in not happy how you’ve communicated the answer, or is it just more “I’ve been on a course” kind of thing

JJ4

That's really helpful, thank you.

Chelseas1990

Hi guys,

I’ve recently passed my MMI in Watford and been told I will be contacted as soon as dates become available for the DMI stage. Does anybody have any info on what to expect? I’ve seen posts on here but they mostly touch base lightly? Is it quite intense? Also I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis a few years back. However, it’s doesn’t affect my mobility and doesn’t cause me any discomfort as my medication keeps everything under control. Can this hinder my chances of becoming a driver?

12guard4

There's an awful lot of information about DMIs on here.

As long as your medication is allowed you will be fine but all of that will be covered in a medical.

GogoTime

I’ve been offered an apprenticeship train driver role with Northern Trains and really looking forward to a change of career. Does anyone work as a driver at Northern Trains at the Newcastle depot and give me any advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

NorthernTech

I’ve been offered an apprenticeship train driver role with Northern Trains and really looking forward to a change of career. Does anyone work as a driver at Northern Trains at the Newcastle depot and give me any advice or let me know what the role is like? Thanks I’m advance.
How have you managed to get to being offered a job without knowing what the role is like? Possibly a tad late in the day to research the role now no? Someone else who maybe knows the role, that they definitely want it has possibly been unsuccessful in lieu of you being offered the position.

GogoTime

How have you managed to get to being offered a job without knowing what the role is like? Possibly a tad late in the day to research the role now no? Someone else who maybe knows the role, that they definitely want it has possibly been unsuccessful in lieu of you being offered the position.
I’m just eager to start and putting it out there to get to know some employees in the same depot

ComUtoR

Established Member
How have you managed to get to being offered a job without knowing what the role is like?

Despite what this forum may say, you don't always need to know the ins and outs of the industry and TOCs to get a job. Many new Drivers know very little about the role before they get it.

Someone else who maybe knows the role, that they definitely want it has possibly been unsuccessful in lieu of you being offered the position.

Not sure of your point here. Are you suggesting @GogoTime isn't worthy of the job or is somehow underserving ? Many fail at interview for many reasons. Some of the most knowledgeable applicants simply do not get the job. For every single success there will be tens of dozens who failed.

I’ve been offered an apprenticeship train driver role with Northern Trains and really looking forward to a change of career.

Congratulations.

Does anyone work as a driver at Northern Trains at the Newcastle depot and give me any advice? Thanks in advance.

I'm sure there are a few people from Northern on here. Hopefully someone will ping you a message.

NorthernTech

Despite what this forum may say, you don't always need to know the ins and outs of the industry and TOCs to get a job. Many new Drivers know very little about the role before they get it.

Not sure of your point here. Are you suggesting @GogoTime isn't worthy of the job or is somehow underserving ? Many fail at interview for many reasons. Some of the most knowledgeable applicants simply do not get the job. For every single success there will be tens of dozens who failed.

Congratulations.

I'm sure there are a few people from Northern on here. Hopefully someone will ping you a message.
The OP asked to get some information about the role at the point of being offered it, not at early application. I find this quite staggering that someone can get through the entire process of train driver recruitment, including DMI without knowing ‘the role of a train driver’. Now if they meant to ask ‘what is it like working for Northern out of Newcastle depot’ then that would be a different question. I was purely reacting to the way the original question was asked. If gogotime has no idea of the role of train driver at this point, then I’d say they have gone for the job blindly and most likely based on the salary, and perhaps yes, someone who really wants the job may well be better suited. I think anyone going for any job, who researches the job and knows it’s for them, and they have a strong desire to do the job has a good chance of being better than someone possibly chancing their arm at a job application knowing little about what they are going for.
This was how it came across in the initial post and why I replied to it as I did. This forum is full of people who have spent years on here reading and researching the role, biding their time and applying as and when they can, giving it their all at any given chance, and some who are lucky to get it first time, but most know what they are applying to do. So a post that read like the person hadn’t even really researched the role is somewhat frustrating to say the least.
But if it was just a badly phrased question, as it sometimes is, then the poster should clarify that, and if that was so then I congratulate Gogotime on their success and wish them all the best with their new career, I’m sure they will enjoy it.
My question would have been more along the lines of “I have recently secured a position as Apprentice Train Driver for Northern out of Newcastle, can anyone shed some light on life working out of the Newcastle depot? What Routes do you sign, what shifts/links are they, how long are trainees training before being signed off, or similar…
Apologies if my response seems off to some, each to their own..

GogoTime

My initial post was worded wrong. My question was not based on what it was like to be a train driver; I’ve obviously researched the role and understand what it entails (I doubt you could pass all stages of the interview process if you hadn’t). I was asking for advice from people who work in the specific depot/TOC and was reaching out for a heads up for anything to be aware of or more to the point, what to look forward to as I’m extremely excited to begin this new career path.

Carl98k

My initial post was worded wrong. My question was not based on what it was like to be a train driver; I’ve obviously researched the role and understand what it entails (I doubt you could pass all stages of the interview process if you hadn’t). I was asking for advice from people who work in the specific depot/TOC and was reaching out for a heads up for anything to be aware of or more to the point, what to look forward to as I’m extremely excited to begin this new career path.
I took your question as exactly that, info about the depot ect. I hope you get the info you need and good luck with your career.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I find this quite staggering that someone can get through the entire process of train driver recruitment, including DMI without knowing ‘the role of a train driver’.

I find that many Trainees still enter the business quite clueless to what the role actually entails. Generally, yes, we drive trains. But how many know what a 'static day' is ?

then I’d say they have gone for the job blindly and most likely based on the salary, and perhaps yes, someone who really wants the job may well be better suited. I think anyone going for any job, who researches the job and knows it’s for them, and they have a strong desire to do the job has a good chance of being better than someone possibly chancing their arm at a job application knowing little about what they are going for.

I think this forum often romanticises the job. Many, many, just see it as a means to an end. Good pay, good conditions. I don't believe that desire means that you are suitable. What if your only desire to get the job is money ? I am someone who 'chanced their arm' I had no idea what the job entailed or what was involved. I turned up on the day and 'winged it' Just because someone has researched the role; it doesn't make them more deserving or more suitable.

This forum is full of people who have spent years on here reading and researching the role, biding their time and applying as and when they can, giving it their all at any given chance,

This forum spoils people with information. The forum is a great sales advert for the job. However, it is a tiny fraction of the jobs market and rarely representative. This forum is littered with applicants who have been trying for years and yet I hear plenty of Trainees at my TOC who applied barely a few months previous, some even weeks. Personally, I'd question those who have continually tried but failed, rather than someone who simply rolled the dice and got the job.

and some who are lucky to get it first time, but most know what they are applying to do. So a post that read like the person hadn’t even really researched the role is somewhat frustrating to say the least.

Frustrating yes, but certainly worthy of congratulations, not castigation.

I was asking for advice from people who work in the specific depot/TOC and was reaching out for a heads up for anything to be aware of or more to the point, what to look forward to as I’m extremely excited to begin this new career path.

My personal advice is to now take a step back. The path to Driver is a long one and you need to focus on the training. Going 'back to school' can be a bit of a culture shock to some and the classroom environment doesn't suit everyone. For me, that's the first hurdle.

The rest comes with time. Build relationships within the Training School and with others on your course, learn more about the company from any internals you meet and ask lots of questions. Trust in the system and take each step as it comes. Slow and steady really wins the race here. When you hit depot, again, build relationships; especially one with your Manager. Think long term and you won't go wrong.

GogoTime

I find that many Trainees still enter the business quite clueless to what the role actually entails. Generally, yes, we drive trains. But how many know what a 'static day' is ?

I think this forum often romanticises the job. Many, many, just see it as a means to an end. Good pay, good conditions. I don't believe that desire means that you are suitable. What if your only desire to get the job is money ? I am someone who 'chanced their arm' I had no idea what the job entailed or what was involved. I turned up on the day and 'winged it' Just because someone has researched the role; it doesn't make them more deserving or more suitable.

This forum spoils people with information. The forum is a great sales advert for the job. However, it is a tiny fraction of the jobs market and rarely representative. This forum is littered with applicants who have been trying for years and yet I hear plenty of Trainees at my TOC who applied barely a few months previous, some even weeks. Personally, I'd question those who have continually tried but failed, rather than someone who simply rolled the dice and got the job.

Frustrating yes, but certainly worthy of congratulations, not castigation.

My personal advice is to now take a step back. The path to Driver is a long one and you need to focus on the training. Going 'back to school' can be a bit of a culture shock to some and the classroom environment doesn't suit everyone. For me, that's the first hurdle.

The rest comes with time. Build relationships within the Training School and with others on your course, learn more about the company from any internals you meet and ask lots of questions. Trust in the system and take each step as it comes. Slow and steady really wins the race here. When you hit depot, again, build relationships; especially one with your Manager. Think long term and you won't go wrong.
As I’m currently a teacher, the classroom environment won’t be an issue. Thanks for taking the time to reply with good advice

Kauntrilla

Hi guys,
Can you please help me with a one particular question in DMI " Have you ever broken a rule and why" ?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Twotwo

Hi guys,
Can you please help me with a one particular question in DMI " Have you ever broken a rule and why" ?

It's almost similar to a question about weakness and strengths. You have to turn something negative into a positive. Is there any examples you can think off where you've broken a rule because it was more harmful to do it and therefore breaking the rule was more safe?

Kauntrilla

It's almost similar to a question about weakness and strengths. You have to turn something negative into a positive. Is there any examples you can think off where you've broken a rule because it was more harmful to do it and therefore breaking the rule was more safe?
@Twotwo thank you mate.Now i have some direction to think an example. Thanks

Shunted

Hi guys,
A very basic example is where you might have to move through a red light to make way for an ambulance or something. Technically you are breaking a rule but for the benefit of possibly someone’s life

mic1610

Hi guys,
Look around the internet. I found youtube very helpful. A few videos explaining what it's like to be a driver

Simotrfc

Hi guys,
Just don’t use your example of anything to do with safety or cutting corners. or even just say I tend to follow all rules and procedures set out in my training Etc.

Shabbaos

Hey everyone, I’m new to this forum stuff. I’m 30 and applied for two TOC Greater anglia and Southeastern Railway. Greater anglia I was told last week I’m through to the next stage assuming I passed application stage but I’m still waiting to hear back… and southeastern I applied last year in October and am still awaiting to hear if I was successful. Are any of you guys in the same boat and still waiting? And how long shall I keep waiting.

Many thanks in advance everyone :)
Morning All,

I'm also new this forum and would appreciate any more information regarding the trainee train driver route. I've recently applied for Southern Eastern, with my application being accepted. They've notified me that, there has been many applicants and i should expect my application to progress to the assessment stage in the next couple of months.

I've done a little bit of reading on the site, with regards to the process, but it will useful to get some up to date information as to what i should expect next.

Kind regards

Gorlash1886

If you do a search for the southeastern threads and have a read through them, the process hasn't changed from what is in that thread. I know this as a friend is currently moving though the process as well, best of luck.

Chelseas1990

Hi All,

I had mine last week and I answered speaking about my 3 year degree. So this should be fine

B Boy 82

No need to explain yourself. Congratulations for to you. Don’t worry some people are just bitter. Best of luck in your new role.

TC1234

Hi everyone,

Just need some information about the application for the trainee train drive role at southeastern.
I applied at the beginning of March 2022 and received an email at the end of March 2022 stating that i have passed the screening process and that they will contact me as soon as they are able to continue with my application.

is this good news and how long will i have to wait to receive another email? It has almost been a month and i have not received another email yet.

Thank you in advance.