• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

TC1234

Hi everyone,

Just need some information about the application for the trainee train drive role at southeastern.
I applied at the beginning of March 2022 and received an email at the end of March 2022 stating that i have passed the screening process and that they will contact me as soon as they are able to continue with my application.

is this good news and how long will i have to wait to receive another email? It has almost been a month and i have not received another email yet.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CFRAIL

Hi everyone,

Just need some information about the application for the trainee train drive role at southeastern.
I applied at the beginning of March 2022 and received an email at the end of March 2022 stating that i have passed the screening process and that they will contact me as soon as they are able to continue with my application.

is this good news and how long will i have to wait to receive another email? It has almost been a month and i have not received another email yet.

Thank you in advance.
There are thousands that require assessments, hang in there buddy.

Sam1991

Morning All,

I'm also new this forum and would appreciate any more information regarding the trainee train driver route. I've recently applied for Southern Eastern, with my application being accepted. They've notified me that, there has been many applicants and i should expect my application to progress to the assessment stage in the next couple of months.

I've done a little bit of reading on the site, with regards to the process, but it will useful to get some up to date information as to what i should expect next.

Kind regards
Morning mate

I sent a follow up email and was told I’m through but awaiting next stage I.e organising ti go to a depot for assessment but am awaiting the confirmation email and details as they are prioritising candidates closer to london depots. That was south eastern. Sent a follow up to greater anglia still have heard nothing back.

railFly

Hey folks, Aspiring train driver here and I'm thankful for the vast information on this forum. I just have a few questions.

I see most if not all job application requiring the applicant to be within 60min of base station, Is it still work applying if you're flexible to relocate for a job ?

Secondly I see some application with a requirement for 'Passed the train driver psychometrics to the national standard in the last 5 years', is this essential before applying to roles or can this be done while applying? if it does need to be done before, what would be the best way to go about it?

Appreciate you help.
RF

NorthernTech

Hey folks, Aspiring train driver here and I'm thankful for the vast information on this forum. I just have a few questions.

I see most if not all job application requiring the applicant to be within 60min of base station, Is it still work applying if you're flexible to relocate for a job ?

Secondly I see some application with a requirement for 'Passed the train driver psychometrics to the national standard in the last 5 years', is this essential before applying to roles or can this be done while applying? if it does need to be done before, what would be the best way to go about it?

Appreciate you help.
RF
Welcome!
Most companies are pretty strict on the 45/60 minute rule due to fatigue and that many people offer to relocate and, in the end, don’t. They will at some point want to see some address verification.

The companies that want Psychometric Test passes to apply either don’t put anyone through testing or want to speed up their application process, but many companies will send you for testing should you pass the stages to get that far.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

railFly

Welcome!
Most companies are pretty strict on the 45/60 minute rule due to fatigue and that many people offer to relocate and, in the end, don’t. They will at some point want to see some address verification.

The companies that want Psychometric Test passes too apply either don’t put anyone through testing or want to speed up their application process, but many companies will send you for testing should you pass the stages to get that far.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the clarification. :smile:

Slinky252

Hi,
Scouring the forum to try and get best answer here. I have unfortunately just had notification of failed industry tests at stage 1, included GB, TRP1 & 2, Tee-Occ and DFFT. I think I performed well but i know I messed up TRP 2 and ran out of time and completed half the answers. Finding out Feedback does look like ( reading on the forum) very hard to get. So when applicants get to do stage 1 again. Do generally people have to wait till on the day they look at the database and let you know which ones to retake. Or can I definitely find out which ones I’ve passed/failed to both National and Enhanced standard. The TOC I have failed with is WMT. Thanks

Hi,
Scouring the forum to try and get best answer here. I have unfortunately just had notification of failed industry tests at stage 1, included GB, TRP1 & 2, Tee-Occ and DFFT. I think I performed well but i know I messed up TRP 2 and ran out of time and completed half the answers. Finding out Feedback does look like ( reading on the forum) very hard to get. So when applicants get to do stage 1 again. Do generally people have to wait till on the day they look at the database and let you know which ones to retake. Or can I definitely find out which ones I’ve passed/failed to both National and Enhanced standard. The TOC I have failed with is WMT. Thanks
You should be able to get all your results from the OPC if WMT are unable to help, but you won't get any feedback as they are a simple pass or fail. There is no official enhanced score as it seems to vary between TOC.

You'll be able to retake the tests you've failed after 6 months but should you fail them again, that'll be it I'm afraid.

Slinky252

You should be able to get all your results from the OPC if WMT are unable to help, but you won't get any feedback as they are a simple pass or fail. There is no official enhanced score as it seems to vary between TOC.

You'll be able to retake the tests you've failed after 6 months but should you fail them again, that'll be it I'm afraid.
Thank you for this, I have just had an email through from WMT and I am a little gutted I passed all apart from the DFFT, which I thought I did ok on. Ok well now I know I have one further attempt at that to get through. Hard to practice this one though. Just down to relaxing has much as possible next time and read thoroughly.

NorthernTech

Thank you for this, I have just had an email through from WMT and I am a little gutted I passed all apart from the DFFT, which I thought I did ok on. Ok well now I know I have one further attempt at that to get through. Hard to practice this one though. Just down to relaxing has much as possible next time and read thoroughly.
Good news is you won’t lose a standard ‘life’ as you only failed a test which is an enhanced one. So a small bit of positivity, and some operators will accept those you have passed, so next time you may not have to do those again.

Slinky252

Good news is you won’t lose a standard ‘life’ as you only failed a test which is an enhanced one. So a small bit of positivity, and some operators will accept those you have passed, so next time you may not have to do those again.
I will take positives out of this thank you for your comments.

Carl98k

I will take positives out of this thank you for your comments.
I also failed DFFT but passed everything else. So I applied to a FOC, I’m waiting on a start date. I must add that I did mine during covid so we did everything, and tests marked at the end.

Slinky252

I also failed DFFT but passed everything else. So I applied to a FOC, I’m waiting on a start date. I must add that I did mine during covid so we did everything, and tests marked at the end.
Cheers buddy, and congrats on getting your start date nice one. I’ll definitely look at other TOC or FOC’s. Thanks

SeanW90

Be aware of the possibility of passing the DMI and psychometrics to enhanced standard, only to be put into a talent pool and ending up “washing out” of the pool with no job offer after waiting for months. Railway recruitment can be incredibly frustrating and a very slow process.

Yellabowley

Afternoon all,

I applied for LNER, passed the online tests, passed my driver manager interview and was put through to psychometric testing, which they said was taking place during April. On the application it said that if you’d passed within the last 5 years you didn’t need to redo them. I passed two years ago for TransPennine (covid spoilt that recruitment drive) and so LNER said they’d check the database as soon as possible, and then let me know. That was at the end of March. I guessed that checking the database was just a case of a quick email and then there was only the medical left to do. However, I’ve heard nothing since. I’ve sent a couple of emails just to check that everything is ok and I’ve had no reply.

I’m not sure where to go from here. My application is still showing as live on LNER’s careers website. I don’t want to harass HR, as I imagine that’s a good way to talk yourself out of being on the next available intake, but I am getting more concerned with each week that I hear nothing. Can anyone advise is this normal?

Many thanks in advance.

TreacleMiller

Afternoon all,

I applied for LNER, passed the online tests, passed my driver manager interview and was put through to psychometric testing, which they said was taking place during April. On the application it said that if you’d passed within the last 5 years you didn’t need to redo them. I passed two years ago for TransPennine (covid spoilt that recruitment drive) and so LNER said they’d check the database as soon as possible, and then let me know. That was at the end of March. I guessed that checking the database was just a case of a quick email and then there was only the medical left to do. However, I’ve heard nothing since. I’ve sent a couple of emails just to check that everything is ok and I’ve had no reply.

I’m not sure where to go from here. My application is still showing as live on LNER’s careers website. I don’t want to harass HR, as I imagine that’s a good way to talk yourself out of being on the next available intake, but I am getting more concerned with each week that I hear nothing. Can anyone advise is this normal?

Many thanks in advance.

That's not normal no.

It took LNER about 4 hours to check my psychometric results which they got from the OPC. I told them during the closing bit of my DMI that i had passed them and had a job offer that day.

The team is part time and I know they've had covid issues... I would email, call if you've been given the number..

You can always try a message on ms teams as well as I dont their inboxes actually work the way you think they do.

Yellabowley

That's not normal no.

It took LNER about 4 hours to check my psychometric results which they got from the OPC. I told them during the closing bit of my DMI that i had passed them and had a job offer that day.

The team is part time and I know they've had covid issues... I would email, call if you've been given the number..

You can always try a message on ms teams as well as I dont their inboxes actually work the way you think they do.
That’s what I feared. I thought it should have been a quick process but I can’t understand why they aren’t replying. I have emailed both the specific person and the general recruitment email address. MS Teams might be a good shout. Thanks very much.

Robo12

Hi. My son only 16 but wants to go into hopefully a career as a train driver. We know he needs to be 18 but would the best route into the career be applying for an apprenticeship?
Is there any courses etc that you have to have done/passed etc before you can apply to be a driver at 21? Or, can you apply and then you do the training once accepted?
Any info gratefully received. Thanks.

skyhigh

Established Member
Hi. My son only 16 but wants to go into hopefully a career as a train driver. We know he needs to be 18 but would the best route into the career be applying for an apprenticeship?
Almost all trainee vacancies are apprenticeships now. They are not what you might traditionally consider an 'apprenticeship' but basically are structured so to receive government funding. To be a mainline driver you need to be at least 21 (as far as I understand) so a fair amount of companies will only accept applications from people aged 21 or over. It may be a good idea to look at starting in other jobs within the industry to gain experience and get a foot in the door - such as guard or dispatcher - though there is no guarantee that these will lead to a driver position.
Is there any courses etc that you have to have done/passed etc before you can apply to be a driver at 21? Or, can you apply and then you do the training once accepted?
Any info gratefully received. Thanks.
You don't need to have any prior background - if you are not a qualified driver, you apply for a trainee position and if successful you are provided with all the training that you require. People never do a driving course themselves and then apply for qualified roles. It's not like the airline industry where you might pay for the training yourself on a speculative basis in the hope of getting a role.

Robo12

Almost all trainee vacancies are apprenticeships now. They are not what you might traditionally consider an 'apprenticeship' but basically are structured so to receive government funding. To be a mainline driver you need to be at least 21 (as far as I understand) so a fair amount of companies will only accept applications from people aged 21 or over. It may be a good idea to look at starting in other jobs within the industry to gain experience and get a foot in the door - such as guard or dispatcher - though there is no guarantee that these will lead to a driver position.

You don't need to have any prior background - if you are not a qualified driver, you apply for a trainee position and if successful you are provided with all the training that you require. People never do a driving course themselves and then apply for qualified roles. It's not like the airline industry where you might pay for the training yourself on a speculative basis in the hope of getting a role.
Thank you for the information. Very helpful to know. I had thought he may be best going in as a trainee in another role. Thanks

JamieTemp

Good morning all. I am looking at applying for an apprentice driver role based at Leeds Station for LNER. I'd just like to know if anyone on this forum works there is anyone that knows the shift pattern for Leeds and would like a shift pattern from them if at all possible before I apply for the role. I understand its earlies, lates and nights but I would just like to see a shift pattern for example over a monthly period.

Many thanks

skyhigh

Established Member
Anyone know what’s happened to this link, I know it was really helpful ?
It was just a link to one of the other sticky threads on here -

Edit - sorry, it was the previous version of this current thread - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/group-bourdon-tool.156417/

TC1234

Good day to all,
I have received an email from southeastern saying i will have to pick a date for sit down assessment tests.
Can anyone provide any information on what these tests will be like and what will i have to focus on mainly. Tia