• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Grace28

Morning All,

I'm also new this forum and would appreciate any more information regarding the trainee train driver route. I've recently applied for Southern Eastern, with my application being accepted. They've notified me that, there has been many applicants and i should expect my application to progress to the assessment stage in the next couple of months.

I've done a little bit of reading on the site, with regards to the process, but it will useful to get some up to date information as to what i should expect next.

Kind regards
Hey I’ve just applied! How long did it take you to hear back? I’m so nervous! I’ve applied for southeastern

There are thousands that require assessments, hang in there buddy.
I’ve just applied for southeastern as well! I’m so nervous! Have you heard anymore back ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TreacleMiller

Plenty of information on here for what tests etc. You will also be sent a practice pack from the TOC which details each test.

Jaguar

Plenty of information on here for what tests etc. You will also be sent a practice pack from the TOC which details each test.
Hello Treacle, congratulations on your driver job. I applied for all the same as you and have now just got through to assessment. It’s the same as yours with northern, I saw your previous posts on the assessment day but just wanted to prepare myself better, I just wondered how the dots test looks now? In terms of sheet size A3/A4? How many lines on each and how long you have on each one? Apologies if this has been asked but was just wondering how it looks now at enhanced?

TreacleMiller

They are on a large sheet that is the equivalent of three A4 pieces of paper stacked side to side. The dots are a little larger and clearer than the "test" exams you can download online, there are less "patterns" of 4 to recognise too.

Jaguar

They are on a large sheet that is the equivalent of three A4 pieces of paper stacked side to side. The dots are a little larger and clearer than the "test" exams you can download online, there are less "patterns" of 4 to recognise too.
Thank you, last question, can you remember how many minutes you get on each?

TreacleMiller

2 mins per block.

I can say you'll need to get around 9 lines per block with no errors across the sheet to certainly pass.

Jaguar

2 mins per block.

I can say you'll need to get around 9 lines per block with no errors across the sheet to certainly pass.
Thank you, sorry to be a pain but was the “phone book” test just a case of looking for the double shapes rather than searching for plumber or restaurant etc from the key at the top? Was anything else thrown in like a fault finding exercise?

Shunted

Thank you, sorry to be a pain but was the “phone book” test just a case of looking for the double shapes rather than searching for plumber or restaurant etc from the key at the top? Was anything else thrown in like a fault finding exercise?
Just search for double symbols! Plumber, restaurant, phone numbers etc is irrelevant and there to test that you have read and understood the instructions properly

Jaguar

Just search for double symbols! Plumber, restaurant, phone numbers etc is irrelevant and there to test that you have read and understood the instructions properly
Thanks shunted, was just looking to see if that is still the case currently for assessments

TreacleMiller

Yeah, double symbols. Everything else is just to distract you. Literally go down each column on a big A3 sheet and circle symbols in Paris. There are no pairs that you should not symbol either.

jack.r

Hello every one, a very short introduction of my self i am a class one driver for a large super market chain. but always been interested in becoming a train driver for years, i finally applied for trainee train driver 6 months ago and have passed the screening process.
i had an email last Friday from the recruitment team saying Further to the communication regarding future assessments, if you have sat any of the Train Driver psychometric tests with any other test provider within the last three years please could you contact the recruitment team before the 15th of June. I am going on a whim and guessing they will be contacting me soon. i am basically going in blind, can any one tell me what a classroom assessment involves and is there any way i can practice for it?.

NorthernTech

They are psychometric tests. If you are invited they send you a full instructional booklet explaining it all.

Grace28

Hello every one, a very short introduction of my self i am a class one driver for a large super market chain. but always been interested in becoming a train driver for years, i finally applied for trainee train driver 6 months ago and have passed the screening process.
i had an email last Friday from the recruitment team saying Further to the communication regarding future assessments, if you have sat any of the Train Driver psychometric tests with any other test provider within the last three years please could you contact the recruitment team before the 15th of June. I am going on a whim and guessing they will be contacting me soon. i am basically going in blind, can any one tell me what a classroom assessment involves and is there any way i can practice for it?.
Same I received an email and have been shortlisted:) they said the assessment centre will be in the coming months so I hope it’s soon if you Google trainee train driver how to become there’s loads of information plus the dot test, I suggest you revise that as it catches people out x

jack.r

They are psychometric tests. If you are invited they send you a full instructional booklet explaining it all.
Ohhhhh ok thanks!

Same I received an email and have been shortlisted:) they said the assessment centre will be in the coming months so I hope it’s soon if you Google trainee train driver how to become there’s loads of information plus the dot test, I suggest you revise that as it catches people out x
Thanks I will do that , I wanna get as much practice as I can

Just to say I had a cab ride for the very first time last week and met 2 very nice Southern drivers, one male and one female. It was a really good and interesting experience to see things from the driver perspective and how early they can sight signals. I would recommend it to any signaller and hope that all you budding drivers are as considerate, professional and good humoured as the 2 I met. Best of luck.

S-Car-Go

Just to say I had a cab ride for the very first time last week and met 2 very nice Southern drivers, one male and one female. It was a really good and interesting experience to see things from the driver perspective and how early they can sight signals. I would recommend it to any signaller and hope that all you budding drivers are as considerate, professional and good humoured as the 2 I met. Best of luck.
That's really good that you get to do that. When I was in training, we did vice versa, and got to visit Birmingham New St box with the old style panels, and Worcester Shrub Hill semaphore box to get the Signaller's take on things.

Chris windsor

Hi all
I'm considering a career change and looking at applying to be a train driver for TPE in the North west.
I was just wondering if anyone could share an example rota so I can make the right decision.
I'm in the fire brigade currently and the shifts are superb - but the money really isn't.
Id just want to make sure I wouldn't be missing TOO much with the kids, I appreciate no shift is perfect.
And help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers

guard1

From what I've seen the TPE roster is all over the place with no rest day pattern. You can work 6/7/8 days on the bounce but you can also get weeks with a similar number of days as rest days instead. It didn't look too bad from my perspective. I work for Northern and we have a fixed rest day pattern (better for planning your life well in advance if that's what is important to you), however we get a lot of single days off in the form of Sundays. This is not something I particularly like but some people love having 3 out of 4 Sundays off. Moreover, having a fixed rest day pattern allows you to more easily swap shifts or do regular swaps- something that will be harder if your roster is all over the place like at TPE.

Slinky252

Hi all after receiving feedback from WMT. I passed GB, Tee Occ, TRP1 & 2 but failed the Enhanced DFFT with them. Question on the DFFT. I was confident I did well in the day, but after feedback on the ones I passed and failed, thinking about it I know I rushed the last question risking getting this wrong. A driver I know in WMT answered 7 when undertaking his tests. I answered 9. After speaking to him , his thoughts were better to get all you answer correct than 7 right and 2 wrong. So if you relax don’t rush and make sure of your best answers you will have a better chance. I may have got 7 correct but they negatively mark he feels. I understand this to be the case. Imagine he says being a driver even if your slower to get the answer, best to always find the correct fault and not make any errors , that’s what they are looking for. Yes there is an emphasis on speed. I 100% think this is the right way to look at this , and makes me feel better taking this test again. Anybody else echo these thoughts ?

paul weston

I've passed the online assessment for greater anglia back in January 2022 but since then nothing has anyone else applied for trainee driver and not heard anything back from Greater anglia

BAZ7369

My Beginners Guide to completing the Trainee Train Driver Application process.

The following is my account of how I recently completed the Trainee Train Driver application for West Midlands Trains. I suspect that it bares similar resemblance to that of other TOC’s and FOC’s, though I cannot confirm this having not completed any other applications.

Any opinions expressed are my own and not those of any other party, and any mention of supporting agencies/material is done so for reference. I am in no way receiving any endorsements for sponsorship or advertising.

I hope to offer this as a concise guide as I have seen questions and queries repeatedly asked across forums regarding the application process.

I hope you find this of use.

Step 1: Finding an advert.

Adverts for Trainee Train Drivers can be sparse, and when they are posted it may only be for a short time. Once a satisfactory number of applicants have been received, the issuing TOC/FOC may pull the advert before the closing date. At the time of my application (June 2020) I later found out that the post received over 6000 applicants! Clearly the job is highly sought after and competition will be fierce; getting an application in before the post disappears is the first objective!

To help find advertised posts, utilise as much support as possible.

LinkedIn, Indeed, CVLibrary, Glassdoor are all suitable for providing notifications of new positions becoming available. Sign up and use them. Forums can be a great resource so long as the posts are updated on time. Personally I joined ‘https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrainDriverRecruitment/?ref=share and https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/wmt-driver-pool-2021.205821/. Furthermore, amongst its many resources, the Career Search section within the https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/train-driver-academy/id1544659966 can provide links to the many TOC and FOC careers pages.

Step 2: Submit a good CV.

Assuming you applied in time, your CV may be the first look the TOC/FOC have of you. Make sure that you have invested sufficient time and effort in preparing your CV. Reading the advert and knowing the roles/responsibilities of the job will help you create a well structured CV that matches your abilities to their requirements. I’ll not labour on this topic as there is an endless supply of CV writing guides out there.

Step 3: Online Assessment.

A short series of SJT questions for you to complete, not to dissimilar to those completed later on in the OPC Psychometric tests. A means for the TOC/FOC to assess your suitability for the role depending on your thought process in a given situation. Not much I can offer here as your thought process is part of what makes you you! As with much of the later stages, your natural ability and characteristics are what will determine your success. Though you may be able to practise at some of the exercises and improve performance, your natural ability will be limited. All we can do is try our best.

Step 4: Shortlister Video Interview.

Notification that you’ve passed the initial sift and are now required to complete a shortlister interview. This consisted of a few questions covering topics such as the role you’ve applied for, your current employment and detail about yourself. As everyone has different circumstances, only you will know how to answer the latter two. As for the first, I would expect that you have researched the role you’ve applied for prior to applying, and therefore should be able to answer any such questions with ease. Good luck.

Step 5: OPC Assessment Stage.

Can be done in a single sitting or split over a couple of days, for me it was the latter.

Stage 1 was the pencil and paper tests completed during a half day session at a location arranged by WMT. Practice material is sent to you ahead of time with strict instructions. Straight forward enough, and a good reference to help find other suitable practice material elsewhere. During my search I reviewed https://www.theopc.co.uk/ and signed up to complete practice material for them to assess, whilst also locating a number of example tests.

The Group Bourden test is feared by many. Practice tests can be completed on the previously mentioned Train Driver Academy app, but I found a better representation at https://metodorf.com/tests/bourdon/group_bourdon.php which has been mentioned previously on the rail forums site.

TRP 1 & 2, DFFT and Tee-Occ were also completed. My personal choice was to purchase the How2Become: Train Driver Tests publication which contained a variety of example tests. Though not accurate representations of the OPC, they certainly focus on the skills required. All tests are done under exam conditions, and examples are completed under guidance from the OPC representative. The opportunity to ask questions and clarify understanding is given before each test begins, so use it!

Some of the attendees were required to resit or improve previous tests, and so departed early. Results of the test were communicated within a week of completion.

Stage 2 was the computer based tests and the Multi Modal Interview (MMI) conducted at OPC in Watford over the course of a day. Again, practice material will have been sent prior, though I also purchased the How2Become: Train Driver SJT’s. This contains a variety of SJT’s as there is more than one format in which these can be delivered.

WAFV (Grey square test), ATAVT (pictures test) and 2 Hand Coordination Test were completed in the morning, again with practice sessions being completed before the main test. All we’re done under exam conditions. Scores were then checked and verified, and anyone failing to meet the requirements was released from further testing.

The precursor to the MMI is the completion of the SJT then 6 scenario examples on paper. The responses you provide on the SJT and paper determine the questions you get in the MMI, though some applicants have been informed that they failed at the SJT!?! These are not timed exercises, so consider your responses carefully. Examples of the scenario type questions were available amongst the rail forums threads, so build a bank of examples and recount them accurately. Detail is key.

Step 6: DMI.

Essentially an extension of the MMI, this is a structured interview so each interviewee gets the same bank of questions asked by the panel of interviewers. Held face to face, so no opportunity to have notes/prompts laid out of sight during a teams/zoom call, this was at the TOC office with two Driver Managers. Dress smart and arrive on time.

I was soon put at ease by the panel, and a relaxed interview followed. My detail of the MMI scenarios, and knowledge of the TOC was tested, along with conversations about similar and relevant topics. General knowledge and understanding of the rail industry was sought through the internet and Modern Railways magazines.

To have gotten this far is an achievement in itself, and some individuals speculate that this is merely a formality and a assessment of you personality. I beg to differ. Others have made it known that they have failed at the DMI stage. Interestingly, I believe that some TOC’s/FOC’s conduct the DMI earlier, and therefore a pass is required to move on to the testing stages. Nevertheless, this may be the finish line, but you still need to cross it! Don’t relax just yet!

Step 7: The Talent Pool.

Having navigated the previous steps, confirmation that you have been successful will reach you shortly after the DMI. Any remaining admin will be raised and completed nearer to the start of a given course date. This includes completion of DBS paperwork, references and a medical examination. It is at this point that I now find myself, so can offer little in the way of information, however, much of it will be personal and differ between individuals so there would be little to gain in sharing such details.

Needless to say, I consider myself fortunate to have made it to this point. All in all, it has taken me 20 months to reach this point from the moment of submitting my initial application. Clearly COVID has had an impact on the processes involved, as did the number of applicants at the time. Some applicants have been processed far quicker, and others may now only just be starting the sifting. The rail industry is a constantly evolving entity, people retire and new recruits are sought. If you pass the tests, they are valid for 5 years, and for good reason. If you are patient and determined, you may be rewarded with a much sought after role within the rail industry. I sure hope I am!

Let me know if this is of benefit to some of you.

Best of luck.

Final update:

Medical - eyesight, colour perception, hearing, weight, height, breathalyser, ECG and urine sample. All in all it takes about an hour. Urine sample gets sent away for drug testing. Once the results get back, a report is compiled and sent to the TOC recruitment team. You won’t hear anything unless there is an issue.

Onboarding - online process following an email with personal login details. Contains a number of policy and information documents that need to be read and followed. Similarly, the DBS process is initiated and a certificate arrives in the mail once complete.

References - I provided contact details for a character reference as well as previous and current employer. The first two were chased up fairly quickly, with my current employer only being approached nearer to my notice period. Once this had been received and reviewed, a further email was sent advising that the terms and conditions of employment had been sent and needed accepting within the Onboarding portal. Once accepted I was informed that I could now hand in my notice to my current employer. A nice touch is the countdown timer letting you know how many weeks/days/hours/minutes left until your start date. All that remains is the Joining Instructions ahead of day 1 of training!

whoosh

Established Member
Hi all
I'm considering a career change and looking at applying to be a train driver for TPE in the North west.
I was just wondering if anyone could share an example rota so I can make the right decision.
I'm in the fire brigade currently and the shifts are superb - but the money really isn't.
Id just want to make sure I wouldn't be missing TOO much with the kids, I appreciate no shift is perfect.
And help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers

Have a look here for a rough idea:

I don't work for TPE, but where I do work has plenty of ex-Firefighters who've fitted in well and are good at their new job driving trains.
All the best!

Jordmurray23

Not sure if this is the right thread but wonder if anyone knew when Avanti will be recriuting for new train drivers? I heard June or July but no news.
Thanks very much in advance all

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Not sure if this is the right thread but wonder if anyone knew when Avanti will be recriuting for new train drivers? I heard June or July but no news.

People won’t know. You just have to keep an eye on the recruitment website regularly.

Tjt92

I've passed the online assessment for greater anglia back in January 2022 but since then nothing has anyone else applied for trainee driver and not heard anything back from Greater anglia
Hi Paul,
just wondering if you have heard anything or completed any stages in the process?

JJ4

Hi All,
I passed the Computer Tests/MMI back in April for WMT and have been awaiting a DMI date ever since. I have periodically contacted to see if there has been any movement and have been told that they're, "Waiting for the driver management team to confirm their availability." More recently have been told that the strike action has impacted availability. I was just wondering if there's a possibility of the rug being pulled out and never being called up to do the DMI? I suppose beyond that, given the current outlook on the railway, is there a likelihood of there being little need for more drivers and as a result, just languishing in the talent pool until it expires? I'm cracking on with work as most people advise but the uncertainty is chipping away at me a bit. Thanks in advance.

BAZ7369

Hi JJ, all I can say is be patient and don’t give up. If you have been successful so far, they will want to keep progressing you. As you say, there has been a lot going on lately, but there will always be a requirement for new drivers, it is just the rate that will alter.

NorthernTech

I used the How2Become Train Driver Software package and a couple of their books to help me. Seemed to get me sifted nearly every time after that as well as feeling confident with the Psychometric Test when I attended. I had to do full suite of tests in one day and knew what to expect. It has a dvd with the Dots/Group Bourdon which really helped as well as a Coordination one for the joysticks test, which I know worries people. I found quite a few when I looked on eBay. The search function on here really helped me too, made so many notes to read through.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
After the recent media issues surrounding Avanti you would expect it to be soon, unless DfT have a particular deathwish. A media report last week suggested Avanti were 220 drivers short, but it wasn't clear if that was short of pre pandemic levels.