• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A couple of questions re London to Manchester Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good Morning, I have a couple of questions about London to Manchester.

I was listing to a radio programme the other evening and it started off with an announcement of a train going to Manchester, I presume from Euston, calling at Milton Keynes Central, Macclesfield, Wilmslow, Stockport, Manchester Oxford Road and Manchester Piccadilly.

I am not an expert, but I don't think that is a normal routing, could it ever happen as a result of engineering works or other diversion?, I know there are alot of frieght lines in that area so unusual routes could be possible, indeed I have been on UK Railtours to Buxton and the ELR (Not on the same trip) which have used some of those lines. However it did sound a bit strange.

I seem to remember in the 1970s that there were regular trains going from St. Pancras to Manchester what route would they have taken then, would they have gone via the now closed route via Matlock, Bakewell & Buxton, or did they go another way? also did they go to Man Picc or Man Victoria?

Tks. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member

I seem to remember in the 1970s that there were regular trains going from St. Pancras to Manchester what route would they have taken then, would they have gone via the now closed route via Matlock, Bakewell & Buxton, or did they go another way? also did they go to Man Picc or Man Victoria?

I was in Chesterfield Museum the other day and they had a rail timetable up for 1972-73, one of the services on there was direct to Manchester Picadilly, timings:

Chesterfield (09:46)
New Mills (10:30)
Manchester Picadilly (10:56)

Unfortunately my pic of the whole board hasn't come out too clearly, so I've just got the bit from 0900-1700 and it looks to be the only such service during that time.

Attachments

• C02Rs-uWgAAM-Wo.jpg
    C02Rs-uWgAAM-Wo.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 50

Ash Bridge

Established Member

It was to/from Manchester Piccadilly running via Marple and the Hope Valley route, then using the South chord at Dore to join/leave the Midland Mainline, trains were normally a rake of mk1s hauled by a Peak and if memory serves correct two each way on weekdays, at least during the early 70s.

From London Midland Passenger Timetable 1 May 1972 to 6 May 1973:

London St Pancras Dep. 06:50, 18:25 Manchester Picc. Arr. 10:56, 22:31

Manchester Picc. Dep. 08:01, 18:09 St Pancras Arr. 12:32, 23:13 (22:52 SO)

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member

I was listing to a radio programme the other evening and it started off with an announcement of a train going to Manchester, I presume from Euston, calling at Milton Keynes Central, Macclesfield, Wilmslow, Stockport, Manchester Oxford Road and Manchester Piccadilly.

I am not an expert, but I don't think that is a normal routing, could it ever happen as a result of engineering works or other diversion?, I know there are alot of frieght lines in that area so unusual routes could be possible, indeed I have been on UK Railtours to Buxton and the ELR (Not on the same trip) which have used some of those lines. However it did sound a bit strange.

Was it a drama programme, or a news / factual programme.

Macclesfield & Wilmsow on the same journey are almost impossible on any normal service. Was a rail replacement bus service in operation between Wilmslow & Macclesfield. To get from Macclesfield to Wilmslow by rail, it would need to go south from Macclesfield to Stoke (reversal) and then via Crewe to Wilmslow.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I seem to remember in the 1970s that there were regular trains going from St. Pancras to Manchester what route would they have taken then, would they have gone via the now closed route via Matlock, Bakewell & Buxton
That line closed in 1968.

Someone made a mistake there!

Crossover

Established Member

I think I heard that radio show too - was it Peter Kay on R2 on Friday evening? Macclesfield and Wilmslow won't exist on the same journey without some reversing

Was it a drama programme, or a news / factual programme.

Macclesfield & Wilmsow on the same journey are almost impossible on any normal service. Was a rail replacement bus service in operation between Wilmslow & Macclesfield. To get from Macclesfield to Wilmslow by rail, it would need to go south from Macclesfield to Stoke (reversal) and then via Crewe to Wilmslow.

If it's the one I'm thinking, it was drama

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes it was the one on Radio Two with Peter Kay & Johnnie Walker. Friday at 1700 hours. Quite good infact, general chit chat and playing music.

Status
Not open for further replies.