• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A few changes to the Forum Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It would have been nice if there had been any type of pre-notification of matters, with advice added.
Unfortunately as I have advised in the past, it is not possible to know what kind of impact these things will have until they are implemented.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I see the quotation method has changed a lttle when replying - hopefully this will alleviate some of the challenges of broken quotes on responses across the forum :)

On the flip side, the quote button is much easier to get to
I seem to be unable to edit quotes now - that may be a good thing if people have been quoting out of context but it does mean we can't edit out parts of a quote that aren't relevant to our responses. Unless there's some other way of doing this?

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I seem to be unable to edit quotes now - that may be a good thing if people have been quoting out of context but it does mean we can't edit out parts of a quote that aren't relevant to our responses. Unless there's some other way of doing this?
Highlight what you want to quote and a 'reply' option comes up

Domh245

Established Member
You can also un-toggle BB code (with the square brackets) to get the traditional style back with [ quote] tags floating around. This does disable keyboard shortcuts however (the usual ctrl+B/I for bold/italic etc or ctrl+k for a link for example)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What do you mean can’t edit quotes? In rich text editor just click within the quote and delete like you’ve always been able to.

Or alternatively you can as someone else suggests highlight and then create your own quote. This has been available for several years.

RichT54

What do you mean can’t edit quotes? In rich text editor just click within the quote and delete like you’ve always been able to.

Or alternatively you can as someone else suggests highlight and then create your own quote. This has been available for several years.
If I click reply on a post I get a quoted block as before. I can click inside the quote and then use the Delete and Backspace keys repeatedly to delete characters.

However, I seem to remember being able to select a whole chunk of text in the quote using the mouse and then delete it with one key press. That doesn't appear to work now?

ABB125

Established Member
One thing I've noticed is that if I have a quote, be it from another user of from another website, if I press enter to add a new line within the quote it seems to split the quote box in two.
For example
This is a quote from myself.
I then pressed enter, and now the text is appearing here instead of in the quote box.

Let's try again.
That didn't work either.

However, if I switch to using the (QUOTE) brackets (note that I've deliberately not used squares here) I can press enter
like this
and
it
works
as
expected

Is this meant to happen?

Crossover

Established Member
Fine for me (on desktop, Firefox). You may just need to clear your browser cache or something

One thing I've noticed is that if I have a quote, be it from another user of from another website, if I press enter to add a new line within the quote it seems to split the quote box in two.
For example

I then pressed enter, and now the text is appearing here instead of in the quote box.

That didn't work either.

Is this meant to happen?
Not sure if it should or not, but I have the same issue

EDIT:

I also notice that when you click to go to new posts in a thread, it takes you to just under the banner (the one with the post time/number) so you don't see this information without scrolling

Trackman

Established Member
Fine for me (on desktop, Firefox). You may just need to clear your browser cache or something
I'm unable able to edit quotes in Firefox.
This reply, I have faffed about with pressing Enter.
I have cleared the cache for the website and logged back in too.
Works fine in Safari though.
I'm sure before you could see the BB code (or whatever) on Firefox.

Crossover

Established Member
I'm unable able to edit quotes in Firefox.
This reply, I have faffed about with pressing Enter.
I have cleared the cache for the website and logged back in too.
Works fine in Safari though.
I'm sure before you could see the BB code (or whatever) on Firefox.
Are you on a mobile or desktop/laptop? I'm guessing either iOS or a Mac? I'm on Firefox on Windows and it is OK and I can switch to BB code editing too

Trackman

Established Member
Are you on a mobile or desktop/laptop? I'm guessing either iOS or a Mac? I'm on Firefox on Windows and it is OK and I can switch to BB code editing too
I've sussed it- switch to BB code.
I must have pressed it inadvertently.
Cheers.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I seem to remember being able to select a whole chunk of text in the quote using the mouse and then delete it with one key press. That doesn't appear to work now?
That's also what I used to do and can't do any more, whichever of the various reply/quote options I use to generate the quote. I can drag from before the quote to after which highlights only the non-quoted text but if I then hit Delete it removes the quote as well.

But if I go to BB Code it works just as it did before.

Mcq

Any chance of putting the 'Trivia' posts in their own little pen - personnaly they drive me mad popping up all over the place?

AM9

Veteran Member
Any chance of putting the 'Trivia' posts in their own little pen - personnaly they drive me mad popping up all over the place?
I'd agree with that. Most of the threads seem to be trying to ''out trivialise' the last.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've sussed it- switch to BB code.
I must have pressed it inadvertently.
Cheers.

I'm having problems putting more than one quote in a reply... I can manually edit in a second quote, but it won't copy the header back to the post I'm quoting from.

Also, for some reason, although the link does go straight to my post in question, the bit displayed in the box above seems to be from the first posting on the same page as my linked post, so that's not working right either...

High Dyke

Established Member
Now, I just need my employer to update their browser system and it will operate correctly at work. Keep getting this message at the top of the page.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Apart from that it seems to work ok on Android.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Now, I just need my employer to update their browser system and it will operate correctly at work. Keep getting this message at the top of the page.

Apart from that it seems to work ok on Android.

What browser is working making you use?! :o

Greybeard33

Established Member
Previously, when the Preview button was pressed the preview appeared below the editable text of the draft post. Any required corrections, e.g. to faulty links or formatting, could then be made in the original draft before posting. Now the preview replaces the editable draft and does not accept further attempts to edit.

By experiment, I have found that clicking in the greyed-out edit bar, or refreshing the page, switches back from preview mode to edit mode. However, this is not at all intuitive and I imagine some users will find it frustrating in the absence of documentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.