• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A little help with the old East Lincolnshire Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

I am thinking that a train travelling north from Louth to Grimsby could not then continue on to Barnetby without reversing at Grimsby. Is this the case.
Also trains heading for Grimsby from Louth could not serve or proceed on to Cleethorpes at all.
All trains - other than ones coming from Cleethorpes - currently enter the station over the Wellowgate level crossing. In the days of the East Lincolnshire line, was it possible that trains along that line entered Grimsby Town over the Garden Street level crossing?
I am not from Grimsby (I was born in Staines) but I lived there for 11-12 years. At the beginning of that period, the East Lincolnshire Line was intact but I was too small to remember much about it, whereas at the time I left, the line had gone and the service was pretty much as it is now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martinsh

Established Member
the Louth line diverged just east of Grimsby Town station and went round a sharp curve to the south east. So direct running Louth - Grimsby - Barnetby was possible. Not sure if there was ever a third side to the triangle allowing Louth - Cleethorpes direct.

Tomnick

Established Member
There was indeed a curve from south to east, which I'd imagine would have been fairly heavily used by goods traffic out of the Docks. Some (most/all?) passenger trains between the East Lincs and Cleethorpes ran via a reversal at Grimsby Town, which must have been an interesting exercise with a long-ish loco-hauled train and a very cramped station!

Rich_D3167

There was indeed a triangle at Grimsby. Garden Street being the west end of it, Pasture Street being the north end, and Goods Junction on the south end. It was only a single line between the north & south junctions, and was only classed as a through siding, so any passenger services to/from Cleethorpes always reversed at Grimsby Town. Loco hauled services obviously ran round. Freight traffic from Grimsby Docks heading south via Louth certainly used the through siding from Pasture Street to Goods Junction.

Bevan Price

Established Member
There was indeed a triangle at Grimsby. Garden Street being the west end of it, Pasture Street being the north end, and Goods Junction on the south end. It was only a single line between the north & south junctions, and was only classed as a through siding, so any passenger services to/from Cleethorpes always reversed at Grimsby Town. Loco hauled services obviously ran round. Freight traffic from Grimsby Docks heading south via Louth certainly used the through siding from Pasture Street to Goods Junction.

1964/65 timetable shows 2 morning services from Cleethorpes to Kings Cross and 2 return services in late afternoon /early evening. All allowed between 10 & 12 minutes for reversal at Grimsby Town - probably enough time for loco to run round the train, although in steam days, I suspect they wold have used a separate loco between Cleethorpes & Grimsby Town.

Status
Not open for further replies.