• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A loft based N Gauge layout that never leaves home (some photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy R. A.

An amazing layout - love the Manchester Pullman - are the services based on an actual working timetable or your own creation.
The services run in sequence rather than by timetable. However all the formations are based on sets of the era from my time working at Euston 1974-79.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hst43102

I absolutely love this layout! Great design and very realistic for such a small area!
If you don't mind me asking, what is the total cost?

Andy R. A.

I absolutely love this layout! Great design and very realistic for such a small area!
If you don't mind me asking, what is the total cost?
It would be difficult to make an accurate assessment, as much of what has gone into the current layout has seen use in many others down the years (about 50 years of modelling in N now), being one not to throw anything away in case it can be used again. I suppose the investment in new pointwork for this one, plus miles of wire, and the woodwork that went into making the current baseboards, and some new scenery material must amount to a couple of 'K' at least ?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It would be difficult to make an accurate assessment, as much of what has gone into the current layout has seen use in many others down the years (about 50 years of modelling in N now), being one not to throw anything away in case it can be used again. I suppose the investment in new pointwork for this one, plus miles of wire, and the woodwork that went into making the current baseboards, and some new scenery material must amount to a couple of 'K' at least ?
Go on Andy. :lol:
I dread to think what my little layout cost to be honest. Best not think about it...

hst43102

That's a good policy, not to throw anything away! I only asked because I would love to have a layout like this, even if just for the pleasure of sitting down with a nice cup of tea and watching the trains go round! Unfortunately I'm just starting out in life and money is rather hard to come by - and there's plenty of more pressing costs to pay for! Still, a good project when I have some decent savings...

Andy R. A.

A few more recent pictures from the loft !

3999 22.09.20.JPG

The southbound Widnes to North Wembley BOC train passes Linslade as a northbound Express heads in the opposite direction.

4009.JPG

Passing through Harrow, looking south.

4030.JPG

Northbound at Linslade.

4040.JPG

Harrow.

4050.JPG

Heading for Euston, approaching Linslade Tunnel.

4056.JPG

Diverted service from Sheffield via Market Harborough and Northampton, about to enter Linslade tunnel.

4071.JPG

Northbound diverted Midland service for Sheffield at Linslade.

4133.JPG

Passing the Sports Ground at Headstone Lane.

Jaz avalley

I saw the layout and thought nice detail lots of interest nice water feature then I saw the control counsel, omg I am so jealous, that is probably the best control area I have ever seen, and I have spent a lot of time on forums, nice work,you lucky bugger :p

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I like your new avatar. :)
There is a story behind it.

When I was a kid I had a book with the picture in it. I think it was just called Trains and it was published by St Michael.

Anyway it was the scrapyard in South Wales - Barry? And it really upset me.

It’s still a running joke with my Mum and now my girlfriend however we always said “please don’t let me go”

Anyway I found the image the other month and the correct words. To be fair it’s so locked in to me if I was an actor and had to go to my sad place to shed a tear it will work!

UPDATE now I remembered the publisher I’ve found the book, it was called Steam

I’m going to buy it! Thanks for helping

I saw the layout and thought nice detail lots of interest nice water feature then I saw the control counsel, omg I am so jealous, that is probably the best control area I have ever seen, and I have spent a lot of time on forums, nice work,you lucky bugger :p

This is a similar style one I saw on YouTube in HO which I love too.

Last edited:

Andy R. A.

Still running the trains, think I got all this finished just in time for the lockdown crisis :rolleyes:.

4722.JPG

Finally crumbled to the impulse of getting a pair of EFE Claytons. Lovely models, even if they are a bit too far south to be working through Watford .

4726 20.01.21.JPG

"We apologise for the late running of the 0700 from Tring, this was due to a continuity error".

4730.JPG

Heading north through Harrow as a Derby Lightweight DMU arrives from 'The Village'.

4741.JPG

Looking north through Watford.

4769.JPG

Roaring through Linslade and heading for Euston.

Trainspotting Cat 093.JPG

"If that Loco for the 1533 Temple Mills doesn't come off shed in the next five minutes I'm going to have to knock it on the head (probably literally) until after the Evening Peak period" Ralph the Cat Controller in charge !

Passing the time I have been continuing to experiment with added sound for the video clips......

West Coast Main Line N Gauge Layout (Part 18) - YouTube

West Coast Main Line N Gauge Layout (Part 19) - YouTube

Jaz avalley

My brother used to have a basic set on a carpet,with a tunnel, but he would put kit e kat on the last wagon and we would spend ages amused by the cat following the wagon eating the food and negotiating the tunnel,so sad we never had a video in those days, cats gotta love them.

Iskra

Established Member
Still running the trains, think I got all this finished just in time for the lockdown crisis :rolleyes:.

View attachment 89964

Finally crumbled to the impulse of getting a pair of EFE Claytons. Lovely models, even if they are a bit too far south to be working through Watford .

View attachment 89965

"We apologise for the late running of the 0700 from Tring, this was due to a continuity error".

View attachment 89966

Heading north through Harrow as a Derby Lightweight DMU arrives from 'The Village'.

View attachment 89967

Looking north through Watford.

View attachment 89968

Roaring through Linslade and heading for Euston.

View attachment 89969

"If that Loco for the 1533 Temple Mills doesn't come off shed in the next five minutes I'm going to have to knock it on the head (probably literally) until after the Evening Peak period" Ralph the Cat Controller in charge !

Passing the time I have been continuing to experiment with added sound for the video clips......

West Coast Main Line N Gauge Layout (Part 18) - YouTube

West Coast Main Line N Gauge Layout (Part 19) - YouTube
Very good, it's certainly got a 'Watford' feel about it in those videos and the sound works well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.