• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A quick poll about taking the vaccine.

How do you feel about taking a/the Covid vaccine?

• Completely happy to take it/Have taken it.

• Would rather wait and see for a while but maybe.

• Would rather not, but not completely turned off to the idea.

• Absolutely wouldn’t.

• Would consider it if it meant that I couldn’t travel abroad/go to various events etc.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWM

Established Member
Trouble is we were pathetically inept at "protecting the vulnerable" given the huge numbers of people who caught it in hospitals and care homes, which in theory should be "safe" places. If the vulnerable aren't safe in care settings, then it's impossible to "protect the vulnerable". We need a wholesale re think of how care homes and hospitals are built/operated if we're going to go down the route of locking up the vulnerable for a year or two whilst everyone else acquires herd immunity.

I'd agree we certainly haven't done a good job there. I'd expect that if we'd put some of the resources we've thrown at furlough etc. into that instead, we could have done rather better.

However, even if it isn't possible, then all we've done via lockdowns etc. is spread out the amount of time the vulnerable can catch it, and because people move from 'could cope with getting the virus' to 'too vulnerable to get the virus' all the time, through old age etc., that means we've exposed more people at that vulnerable stage. So we've probably killed more people than if we'd just gone for herd immunity to begin with.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve had mine (first jab - Group 6), reluctantly, as like others, I don’t really need it, however it will hopefully reduce transmission.

Injection didn’t hurt at all and I didnt notice it - unlike the blood test which I take very 3 months.

However about 8 hours later my arm was exceptionally tender for about three days - days two and three were the worst and I put my arm in a sling because it hurt so much. I was also ill with flu like symptoms from about 9p.m. on the day of the injection until I woke up the next day.

kristiang85

Established Member
I remember the BCG from back in the 60's, and there was no choice, you had it full stop, if I recall it was not just one needle but multiple needles all at one time, and it left the BCG mark on the arm, this jab is 100% different, you do not feel a thing, when I had mine was waiting for the medic (RAF) to say 'ready' but all he said was 'done' ! from time of sitting down to 'done' was about a minute, no more, and that time was taken up with just checking again who you were :)

There were two parts to the BCG (I had mine in the early 00s):

- The Heaf test, which showed whether you had antibodies or not. This was 6 needles in the wrist (although only through the top layers of skin so it wasn't too bad).
- The main jab, which was one needle - but it stung like hell and took ages to inject in.

Then it scabbed up and scarred, so it was a pain for a while.

And, even worse, being at an all-boys school, of course everybody punched each other after having it, to make the wound worse. Luckily I had mine a year after I should have done, so I escaped this, but some pupils' scars were far worse than they should have been due to this.

Interestingly, some studies have shown that those who've had the BCG have less serious COVID symptoms. I'm not sure how concrete this was, but thought I'd drop it in there as we are on the subject.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I'll have it as soon as I can please.

I almost have the opposite view.
If people don't want the vaccine but also don't want things like lockdowns / restrictions etc - then what do they suggest is the route out of the pandemic / the route to stop another hundred thousand people dying in one year from it?
You essentially have to pick one of the two. Either continue to have lockdowns / restrictions (which we know isn't really a feasible option longer term) or accept the roll out of the vaccine.
Dear goodness, please change the record because I think it is scratched. Once again, the majority of people at risk of dying have had the vaccine, and are now at least 80% less likely to be hospitalised let alone die. For the rest of the population the vaccine is an option, one that they should be allowed to make or not. I will not discourage a single person against it, if they want it then great, go for it. But continuing with this "you'll kill someone" narrative is not only inaccurate & morally wrong, but it might just convince people that there is something unpalatable about the vaccines & persuade them not to have it.

Trackman

Established Member
I remember the BCG from back in the 60's, and there was no choice, you had it full stop, if I recall it was not just one needle but multiple needles all at one time, and it left the BCG mark on the arm, this jab is 100% different, you do not feel a thing, when I had mine was waiting for the medic (RAF) to say 'ready' but all he said was 'done' ! from time of sitting down to 'done' was about a minute, no more, and that time was taken up with just checking again who you were :)

Almost same here, certainly no knowledge of the needle going in, and also had a choice to wait 10 to 15 after jab or go straight home....chose the latter :)
I had the multiple needles one at school, it actually scars you for life!
Needles have never bothered me though.
I know a real ‘hard case’ who is terrified of needles, when he had to have a jab at hospital they told him something to alleviate the problem. It was so childish, but it worked! -and no it wasn’t a just a ‘small scratch’ routine.
Back on-topic, not voted until I’m called up as once I had very bad side effects with a jab once, then will consult my GP.

Big Tim

I've no worries whatsoever on taking the vaccine. I was expecting to receive my invitation towards the end of April (I'm 41). However, at about 3.45pm I had a text asking me to make an appointment - so I'll be at the Vaccine centre at Askham Bar tomorrow at 3pm. Not sure why I have been selected yet, given my brother who is registered with the same practice is 12 years older and has yet to hear anything. I've no underlying health issues, however am always summoned for a flu jab each year, and had a hospital stay a few years back which had a few complications with some infections for what should have been a two hour "day unit" affair, ending up in being drip-fed antibiotics for 10 days before I was discharged.

Taken both of my parents for their vaccines at the same site, and was very impressed with the set-up: professional, helpful and friendly attitude of all the staff and volunteers. It's no surprise that we're vaccinating so many if other U.K. sites are as efficient as the one in York.

Established Member
Had my first jab in January (Pfizer), expecting the second later this month. A sore arm the following day, almost unnoticeable the day after that.

OF COURSE everybody should have it unless there is a very strong medical reason why it might be dangerous for them. Needle phobia because you didn't like the BCG jab in school? Be a brave boy and have it.

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
Had mine (Pfizer)10 days ago, felt bit of a sting but other injections in the past similar, for two days arm really ached & couldn’t sleep on that side, a small inconvenience.

My wife had bit of a small bleed & very noticeable bruising that’s only just going & her arm ached for a week. Neither of us have an aversion to needles.

Like everything we all react in different ways but bottom line we will get our second one in 12 weeks as soon as advised we can.

Tazi Hupefi

Already had the AZ.

Sore arm and felt a bit rubbish for 2 days, but only kicked in after about 8-10 hours from receiving the vaccine.

Interestingly the second dose no longer has to be the same brand.

Gadget88

Is there anyone on these forums not having the vaccine or atleast not right away? If so what’s your reasons?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is there anyone on these forums not having the vaccine or at least not right away? If so what’s your reasons?

I'm in group 9 ( age 50 - 54 ) with no known underlying conditions, so it'll probably be at least another 4 - 6 weeks before I get offered it... so that's not "right away" and that's my reason.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is there anyone on these forums not having the vaccine or atleast not right away? If so what’s your reasons?

That’s why I’ve made the poll confidential - Obviously there are people that have concerns/reasons for not taking it, but they may not feel like raising their heads above the parapet at this point which is entirely understandable.
I’m fairly neutral and a bit nonplussed about it all, but then I’ve worked all the way through all of this and I’ve also been lucky enough to live in an area with fairly low cases compared to some parts of the country.

bramling

Veteran Member
I'd agree we certainly haven't done a good job there. I'd expect that if we'd put some of the resources we've thrown at furlough etc. into that instead, we could have done rather better.

However, even if it isn't possible, then all we've done via lockdowns etc. is spread out the amount of time the vulnerable can catch it, and because people move from 'could cope with getting the virus' to 'too vulnerable to get the virus' all the time, through old age etc., that means we've exposed more people at that vulnerable stage. So we've probably killed more people than if we'd just gone for herd immunity to begin with.

It’s quite clear some of the furlough money should certainly have gone towards shoring up the protective measures for those genuinely vulnerable. It was one thing to have furloughing as an emergency measure, like the first lockdown, to buy time whilst we made adjustments to enable mitigation measures to be implemented.

However it’s utter lunacy to have paid young and healthy people to be off work for potentially a year and a half. Total and utter lunacy.

Mintona

Established Member
I’d rather not have it. I’d rather never have a needle stuck in me again. When I had my TB jab I was waiting in the line to have it and slinked off and away from the hall it was being done in to avoid it, which I did for a while. They caught up with me eventually though.

Wife says I have to have it because she doesn’t want to be stuck in the UK for the rest of her life. I’ve told her she can go on holiday with friends instead.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Shouldn't "Already had the COVID vaccine" be a poll option for those who have now had it?

Gadget88

I’d rather not have it. I’d rather never have a needle stuck in me again. When I had my TB jab I was waiting in the line to have it and slinked off and away from the hall it was being done in to avoid it, which I did for a while. They caught up with me eventually though.

Wife says I have to have it because she doesn’t want to be stuck in the UK for the rest of her life. I’ve told her she can go on holiday with friends instead.
I managed to hide away from my TB vaccine they never got me. I wouldn’t worry a negative covid test will see you abroad.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Had mine on Friday (AstraZeneca) after only being told I was now eligible about ten days ago. The jab itself was fine, but then as I have type-1 diabetes I'm used to needles. No ill effects until I went to bed, and was unable to lay on that side. Woke up yesterday morning and felt like absolute trash, with a throbbing headache and chills, so spent most of the day in bed. Feel fine again today though so if that's all I have to deal with I'm quite happy.

The thing to remember is that if you have a medical reason that you shouldn't have the vaccine, you won't be offered one. If you don't, then you absolutely should have it. Of course you're within your rights to refuse it but don't expect me to respect a decision made for stupid reasons (e.g. you think it's a secret plot by the illuminati to plant microchips in your arm).

DB

The thing to remember is that if you have a medical reason that you shouldn't have the vaccine, you won't be offered one. If you don't, then you absolutely should have it. Of course you're within your rights to refuse it but don't expect me to respect a decision made for stupid reasons (e.g. you think it's a secret plot by the illuminati to plant microchips in your arm).

It's really not up to you to decide who should and shouldn't have the vaccine.

And most of those who don't want it won't be believers in conspiracy theories - they will largely be either those who aren't keen on unnecessary medical treatment and are at low risk so don't think it's justified, or those who have concerns about as-yet-unknown possible long term effects, given that the vaccine is still effectively in the final clinical trial stage and only authorised for emergency use (it can be argued that giving it to under-50s without any existing heath conditions is stretching the definition of 'emergency', but we've seen that stretching throughout the last year with all the restrictions so people are now accepting it as the norm, unfortunately).

kez19

Established Member
I had first dose about 10 weeks ago due second dose in a weeks time, was not wanting it originally as I am wary but felt I had to for the work I am in. (social care/care home), I hope second dose runs through me.

Side effects: Sore arm/head - was sick few days later (everyone is different)

Edit: thought to make it clearer than originally written

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

And most of those who don't want it won't be believers in conspiracy theories - they will largely be either those who aren't keen on unnecessary medical treatment and are at low risk so don't think it's justified, or those who have concerns about as-yet-unknown possible long term effects, given that the vaccine is still effectively in the final clinical trial stage and only authorised for emergency use (it can be argued that giving it to under-50s without any existing heath conditions is stretching the definition of 'emergency', but we've seen that stretching throughout the last year with all the restrictions so people are now accepting it as the norm, unfortunately).
No it isn't, and I didn't suggest it was. I just said that if a person chooses not to have it for a stupid reason, I'm entitled to think less of them.

When I was told I was now eligible for the vaccine my first thought was not to bother, precisely because I don't believe I'm as high-risk as my pre-existing conditions would suggest I am on paper. Upon looking into it further, I decided it was best to have the vaccine because it requires a reasonable level of participation in order to protect those who can't be vaccinated, through herd immunity.

317 forever

Established Member
I have my jab on Thursday. I accept that it is essential not just to avoid the risk of long Covid, but to help people I come into contact with even briefly.

Journeyman

Established Member
I'll quite happily murder other people in an effort to get vaccinated quicker.

Gadget88

Quite right too much discrimination going around if you refuse the vaccine too much peer pressure aswell.

Richard Scott

Established Member
It’s quite clear some of the furlough money should certainly have gone towards shoring up the protective measures for those genuinely vulnerable. It was one thing to have furloughing as an emergency measure, like the first lockdown, to buy time whilst we made adjustments to enable mitigation measures to be implemented.

However it’s utter lunacy to have paid young and healthy people to be off work for potentially a year and a half. Total and utter lunacy.
Totally agree, cannot understand why this wasn't implemented. Some really stupid decisions been made. At least now we have viable vaccines this idiocy shouldn't continue.
Vaccination can't happen quick enough and then hopefully we can all get on with normality. I wasn't fussed about it at the start but will have it so can get on with life.

Tomp94

I probably won't get the jab. I'm 27 and healthy, will be one of the last to get offered it.
I don't lose sleep over the flu and don't lose sleep over covid. Both could do me damage, the chances of that are low, and I'm not offered a free flu jab each year.

I say probably won't have it, I might still.

I certainly won't have it if vaccine passports are still on the agenda come June/July time.

Journeyman

Established Member
I probably won't get the jab. I'm 27 and healthy, will be one of the last to get offered it.
I don't lose sleep over the flu and don't lose sleep over covid. Both could do me damage, the chances of that are low, and I'm not offered a free flu jab each year.

I say probably won't have it, I might still.

I certainly won't have it if vaccine passports are still on the agenda come June/July time.
I'm healthy as well, but I can assure you that COVID is significantly worse than flu in some cases, and is somewhat more capable of killing you or leaving you with lasting symptoms. It knocked me absolutely sideways for a month and was a genuinely terrifying experience.

Your decision, of course, but I think you're being somewhat naive, and I suspect you don't know anyone who has had a brush with a bad case.

bramling

Veteran Member
Had mine on Friday (AstraZeneca) after only being told I was now eligible about ten days ago. The jab itself was fine, but then as I have type-1 diabetes I'm used to needles. No ill effects until I went to bed, and was unable to lay on that side. Woke up yesterday morning and felt like absolute trash, with a throbbing headache and chills, so spent most of the day in bed. Feel fine again today though so if that's all I have to deal with I'm quite happy.

I don't get why people are so bothered by what other people might choose in respect of taking the vaccine.

"I don't want it" should be perfectly respectable.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I'm healthy as well, but I can assure you that COVID is significantly worse than flu in some cases, and is somewhat more capable of killing you or leaving you with lasting symptoms. It knocked me absolutely sideways for a month and was a genuinely terrifying experience.

Your decision, of course, but I think you're being somewhat naive, and I suspect you don't know anyone who has had a brush with a bad case.
Highly unlikely for a younger person. Statistically flu is much worse. Sounds like your individual case was unfortunate but it's not like that for many people. I know a number of people who've had the virus but yet to come across anyone where it's had a lasting effect.

Journeyman

Established Member
I don't get why people are so bothered by what other people might choose in respect of taking the vaccine.

"I don't want it" should be perfectly respectable.
If limited takeup slows the lifting of restrictions, I have a right to an opinion on the subject.

Highly unlikely for a younger person. Statistically flu is much worse. Sounds like your individual case was unfortunate but it's not like that for many people. I know a number of people who've had the virus but yet to come across anyone where it's had a lasting effect.
I still think that's naive. Yes, the chances of lasting damage or death are very low, but you can cut those by a whopping 90%.

Status
Not open for further replies.