• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A scam phone calls and emails discussion.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
For a few months I had a spam email problem where loads would come through and not get sent into my spam folder, but I just realised they've all stopped (and have been gone for at least 2 weeks).

Maybe they gave up on my email address given all that happened is no response (I don't know if they get told if their emails get reported).
I think I jinxed it, another just came through.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Yes, that is becoming much more common. I had one the other day that came up with my own phone number. So I knew it wasn’t legit!
I had that happen a few months ago, I was rather bemused when it came up on the caller display. As you say, an easy decision not to answer that one!

londonbridge

Established Member
London area code, caller claimed to be from my mobile provider, I let him get as far as saying he could offer me a discount on my bill before I hung up. Immediately the phone rang again, same guy but this time ringing from a Bristol number. Asked him if he could teach me how to get from London to Bristol in ten seconds before telling him where else to go….

londonbridge

Established Member
Just got this one:

EVRI mail package in the process of transportation, due to damage to the outer package, address information is lost, can not be delivered. Please be sure to update the delivery address information in the link within 12 hours.

xxxxxhttps://evriil.com/i

(Please reply Y, then exit the SMS, re-open the SMS activation link, or copy the link to open in Safari)

The EVRI team wishes you a great day!
(Link edited by adding xxxx in order to disable it)

So they don’t have my address but they’ve managed to locate my mobile number…..yeah right…….

jmh59

I finally had one of those 'this is your bank ... did you pay xxx, press 1 etc etc', from a Leeds number. Not my bank's fraud number, didn't say which bank and anyway I would always ignore such calls. But I was feeling left out having never received one of these...

AndrewE

Established Member
I had that happen a few months ago, I was rather bemused when it came up on the caller display. As you say, an easy decision not to answer that one!
My BT Voicemail shows our phone number as the originator.

dangie

Established Member
… Not my bank's fraud number….
I think I mentioned this a few posts back, but some weeks ago we received a scam call pertaining to be from Nationwide, and the callers number was only one digit different (the last digit) from the fraud number printed on the rear of the Nationwide Credit Card.

PeterC

Established Member
I think I mentioned this a few posts back, but some weeks ago we received a scam call pertaining to be from Nationwide, and the callers number was only one digit different (the last digit) from the fraud number printed on the rear of the Nationwide Credit Card.
I have had two legit calls from their fraud team over the last couple of decades. Always hung up cleared the line and called back.

Silly thing is that in the distant past the phone banking team asked me to provide a password for them to use when calling me. When I asked the security team for it they didn't know what I was talking about.

DaleCooper

Established Member
I feel left out, I can't remember ever receiving a scam phone call and only ever received one, or possibly two, scam emails. Perhaps I have the secret to avoiding these things, I wish I could share it but I've no idea what it is.

PeterY

Established Member
I feel left out, I can't remember ever receiving a scam phone call and only ever received one, or possibly two, scam emails. Perhaps I have the secret to avoiding these things, I wish I could share it but I've no idea what it is.
I don't get them either. Maybe because I don't have a smart phone. I've only ever had one scam text on my dumb phone and that was saying I owed money from EE when I use O2. :D

dangie

Established Member
Used to receive lots on our landline before we unplugged it and went mobile only. Must admit I often quite enjoyed them as I’d string them along until either I lost interest or more often they hung up. That’s the thing with being a pensioner, you need a hobby and you have time to do it :D

steamybrian

Established Member
I get a steady trickle of scam calls and as per Dangie I like to string them along.
I wonder how many have arrived at one of the false addresses I gave them- 24, Leinster Gardens, London W2 3ET....?:)

[.n]

I get a steady trickle of scam calls and as per Dangie I like to string them along.
I wonder how many have arrived at one of the false addresses I gave them- 24, Leinster Gardens, London W2 3ET....?:)
I usually use this post code SW1A 1AA :D

Purple Train

Established Member
I haven't had a scam message since I threatened to disown my "child" for two blatant grammatical errors in their message (ignoring the fact that they called me "mum") :D

I haven't had any on the phone in goodness knows how long, but I think I need a testbed for my songwriting output...

Ediswan

Established Member
Apparently, my TV Licence has just expired, mid month, in the middle of the afternoon. That is the fourth time so far this year.

londonbridge

Established Member
Just got this one:

(Link edited by adding xxxx in order to disable it)

So they don’t have my address but they’ve managed to locate my mobile number…..yeah right…
Further to the above, it came through SMS messages but the contact was given as an email address rather than a mobile number. I blocked the contact and deleted the message, I’ve just had the exact same message again from a different email.

John Webb

Established Member
I've noticed a further upswing in the number of unwanted calls on my landline following my early March posting. February and March had 10 each, but I'm already up to twelve this month and only a third of the way through it! (My 'Call Guardian' system has stopped any of them getting through.) On looking them up two-thirds of the numbers have been recognised scammers.....

Last edited: