• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A scam phone calls and emails discussion.

steamybrian

Established Member
Something of an issue with 'NextDoor' is that before long you tend to get spammed with notifications from local tradesmen touting their various services, but probably no worse than advertising leaflets and flyers pushed through your letterbox.

The postage on the card you received will have been paid for by 'NextDoor' who maintain a database of which addresses have signed up to the scheme. It is possible for users to check which addresses in the immediate locality is or isn't already signed up, and arrange for 'NextDoor' to send the postcards to neighbours who aren't yet.
I joined "Nextdoor" on a website somewhile ago expecting to be to be news about my immediate neighbourhood. Ended up getting news about the whole town, endless email messages that had nothing to do with me, advertisements, flyers, etc. After a short period I discontinued my membership.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I joined "Nextdoor" on a website somewhile ago expecting to be to be news about my immediate neighbourhood. Ended up getting news about the whole town, endless email messages that had nothing to do with me, advertisements, flyers, etc. After a short period I discontinued my membership.
Same here, not really a big surprise that this happened.

Sort of an electronic 'mission creep' from what I had originally hoped that the scheme might be, however.

Presumably 'NextDoor' think they can increase their advertising revenue by targetting / selling to a larger area.

Maybe as well that I signed up using a disposable e-mail address! :rolleyes:

Hardcastle

A email supposedly from EE today saying that they could not charge my bank account & requiring updated banking details as i do not have any dealings with them it's a no no it's a very convincing one though & even includes a phone number to ring.

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member
This one received recently made me smile: The quoted site contains the words send, bulk and mail and seems to be a spam email trying to persuade me to become a spammer. Not a scam as such, but hey.

Typhoon

Established Member
This article is interesting!

The message to take from this is to use the phone number on the back of the card if possible.
Follow up: On this weekend's Moneybox it was reported that HSBC has a new procedure, new number, 'Answered in minutes', 'Action will be taken'.

If any Forum members (or others) find that HSBC are not keeping to this, I suggest that they contact Paul Lewis at Moneybox (BBC Radio 4), he is not the type to be fobbed off!

Programme with be on BBC Sounds, broadcast on 27/ 28 Feb.

A Challenge

Established Member
A new one for me, my NI number has been "used for fradulant activity on the West border of Wales" - which I wasn't aware existed - and they're going to take action against me and my NI Number - how do you take action against an NI Number?

Typhoon

Established Member
A new one for me, my NI number has been "used for fradulant activity on the West border of Wales" - which I wasn't aware existed - and they're going to take action against me and my NI Number - how do you take action against an NI Number?
It's Boris' border down the Irish Sea.

steamybrian

Established Member
Two phone calls around 0900 this morning saying that my internet will be cut off by my "internet provider" within 4 hours and to press 1 for further information. The recording was done by a very convincing well spoken "English" female voice which would fool any vulnerable person.
I have had the same message before and maybe a follow on from a recent conversation (see item 595 above). An obvious scam.
If I get any communication from my internet provider then they introduce themselves by saying which company they are from and needless say that it is not BT.

najaB

Veteran Member
Two phone calls around 0900 this morning saying that my internet will be cut off by my "internet provider" within 4 hours and to press 1 for further information. The recording was done by a very convincing well spoken "English" female voice which would fool any vulnerable person.
I take it you didn't press 1? Would've been interesting to know what would have happened next.

steamybrian

Established Member
I take it you didn't press 1? Would've been interesting to know what would have happened next.
No I did not this time. When they called I was busy doing domestic duties.
When I have spare time then I play them along. Another game I play is to tell them to hang for a minute then leave the phone off the hook but keeping returning every minute and tell them to hang on a bit longer. They are paying for the call.!

david1212

Established Member
Earlier I had a phone call pretending to be Amazon. The callers first language clearly, or rather unclearly, was not English. I've had it before and once strung them along for a while. The caller will never give in, you have to put the phone down on them. Today I just said this is not Amazon but a scam. Even then they carried on.

Somehow they find unused numbers on the local area code and set on their show in the caller ID. I'm wise to this now plus generally do not answer calls from numbers I do not recognise or withheld numbers on the basis that if genuine they will hear out the answerphone message and start to leave a reply. Then I will intercept.

However at the moment as it could be an invitation for Covid vaccination I am answering all calls.

No I did not this time. When they called I was busy doing domestic duties.
When I have spare time then I play them along. Another game I play is to tell them to hang for a minute then leave the phone off the hook but keeping returning every minute and tell them to hang on a bit longer. They are paying for the call.!

They are probably paying virtually nothing for the call over VOIP, at least you are wasting their time and preventing them trying to scam someone else.

najaB

Veteran Member
They are probably paying virtually nothing for the call over VOIP, at least you are wasting their time and preventing them trying to scam someone else.
Indeed it is cheap for them to call, but it's a non-zero amount. Plus, and more importantly, as you say: if they're talking to you, they aren't talking to somebody else more gullible.

kevin_roche

Has anyone here cancelled their landline service? I'm thinking of doing that because I have had very few useful phone calls on it for the last 3 years. Even the call telling me about the result of my covid text was just a duplicate of the test sent to my mobile. What issues have people had that have dropped their phone service?

Gloster

Established Member
Has anyone here cancelled their landline service? I'm thinking of doing that because I have had very few useful phone calls on it for the last 3 years. Even the call telling me about the result of my covid text was just a duplicate of the test sent to my mobile. What issues have people had that have dropped their phone service?
I stopped using my landline and went over to mobile pay-as-you-go around ten years ago as I realised that most of my bill was made up of standing charges. However, I make very few outgoing calls and receive even fewer incoming ones: if someone actually wants to speak to me I ask them to e-mail me first with a suggested time for me to call them. I have had no serious problems and don’t get plagued by scam calls. My biggest problem was mislaying my ‘phone (it is in the house somewhere, but has probably slid down behind some books and won’t be found until I move) and having to get a new one.

kevin_roche

My biggest problem was mislaying my ‘phone...

Good point. I usually make a quick call to my mobile to find it. I have recently discovered that because it has the Andriod OS I can get it to ring by using my computer by typing "where is my phone" into google.

Just had a call from a 'Brighton' number. An Asian sounding man with a typical British name. Him: Hello, this is ***** from Domestic Appliances. Me: Goodbye. Not entirely sure this is a scam, but I 've had previous calls claiming that my washing machine warranty is due to expire, and I suspect this may be the scam, selling worthless warranties. Our washing machine is 10-15 years old and is on its last legs, so would anyone actually warranty it?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just had a call from a 'Brighton' number. An Asian sounding man with a typical British name. Him: Hello, this is ***** from Domestic Appliances. Me: Goodbye. Not entirely sure this is a scam, but I 've had previous calls claiming that my washing machine warranty is due to expire, and I suspect this may be the scam, selling worthless warranties. Our washing machine is 10-15 years old and is on its last legs, so would anyone actually warranty it?
They assume there’s a good chance you already have a warranty, because so many people buying appliances are given the hard sell technique when they first buy any type of white goods, and thats been going on for years. It’s a way of paying for your machine twice (or more) as far as I can see, I’m not sure why that isn’t considered a scam as well...

kevin_roche

Just had a call from a 'Brighton' number. An Asian sounding man with a typical British name.
Reminds me of the Episode of the US Comedy "Big Bang Theory" where Raj's cousin is mentioned. In "The Pirate Solution" Raj mentions that he's going to be deported, sent home in disgrace and exposed to Sanjay's sardonic barbs. Or, as Leonard may know him, Dave from AT&T customer service.

david1212

Established Member

Once Domestic & General have your details, and this can be from seller the original purchase particularly if the included warranty is more than 12 months, it is all but impossible to get off their calling list.

I've thought about it. I currently pay £4 per month for evening & weekend calls. It is not totally unlimited but at least 500 minutes a month. I've only got PAYG mobile but over 12 months at 3p/min would not use anything like £48.
Directly what puts me off is if ever a big issue e.g. house or car insurance claim the time then on calls.

Indirectly I have a hearing loss. With three loud ringing phones around the house I can still miss a call. I've no chance of keeping track of a mobile and certainly don't want it my pocket 24 / 7. Then there is hearing the caller. The landline phones have a louder earpiece volume too but I can still struggle with clarity rather than volume. While friends & family could be told to call the landline if I called then and left an answerphone message would the remember rather than call the number used back. For businesses a bigger issue.

Hence overall to me for now I'll pay the £48/year but my part of my reasoning is not typical.

With internet, unless fibre to the premesis, AFAIK having the landline but no call package does not add to the cost as the line is required.

najaB

Veteran Member
Has anyone here cancelled their landline service? I'm thinking of doing that because I have had very few useful phone calls on it for the last 3 years.
With internet, unless fibre to the premesis, AFAIK having the landline but no call package does not add to the cost as the line is required.
Indeed, most internet providers need a metallic path so you either pay for a landline service (plugging a phone in is optional), or you have to seek out a provider who offers bare xDSL/FTTC service and pay not really much less (or, ironically, even more) overall.

kevin_roche

It's not the cost. I'm expecting the cost to be the same. It's the annoying scammers I want to reduce. Seems to be a daily occurrence and usually when I'm eating.

david1212

Established Member
It's not the cost. I'm expecting the cost to be the same. It's the annoying scammers I want to reduce. Seems to be a daily occurrence and usually when I'm eating.

Short term maybe this would work but once they have your mobile number as inevitably will happen before long back to square one.

If you really never use it once family, friends, doctors etc have your mobile number just double check any free answerphone is turned off then unplug the phone.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
This one was a new variation for me: someone pretending to be BT offering a 35% discount on phone/broadband for long-term customers but "we just need to confirm some details". When I asked them the reverse, i.e. to confirm the last 4 digits of my account number, they said they'd have to transfer me to accounts and then cut me off. Evidently phishing for personal details. It came from a spoofed Stoke on Trent number, whereas BT I think always show up as an 0800, although that's not even necessarily a "safe" indicator.

Lucan

Established Member
It's the annoying scammers I want to reduce. Seems to be a daily occurrence and usually when I'm eating.
Maybe you are hoping too much from ditching your landline for mobile. I get more scam calls on my mobile than on my landline. It just depends who has had your phone number in the past and has sold it or leaked to scammers advertising agencies.

But in addition to that, my mobile phone number must have been re-allocated from someone who lives in Swindon, orders a lot of sports gear, and is in massive debt. Because I get texts about sports gear being on its way to me, final demands for Swindon Council Tax payments, and deadlines from the Halifax Building Society to get back within my authorised overdraft limit. The amusement value has long since worn thin, especially if I hear I've received a text while driving and have to stop to see what it is, in case of family issues.

SteveM70

Established Member
Had the well-spoken English gentleman recorded message call again this morning. This time he’s telling me my national insurance number has been compromised and I need to talk to them by pressing 1 immediately otherwise they’ll take legal action against me.

He was good enough to tell me where this compromising of my NI number had taken place - it was “on the northern border of Wales” :lol:

Do people really fall for this nonsense?