• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A scam phone calls and emails discussion.

gg1

Established Member
Why do I think a scam call is being made when a male Indian sub-continent voice says "Hello, BT here. How are you today"?
The "how are you today" is always a massive giveaway regardless of accent.

On the rare occasions I receive a call from a business which is actually genuine, they generally get straight to the point rather than mess around with insincere pleasantries.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
Every day I get a missed call, sometimes 2, on my mobile (which I don't often carry with me.) Today it was within earshot, it rang once and stopped. Always from numbers starting 08435 or 08438. Unfortunately I can't just block them because the rest of the number changes every time.
I ignore them as I imagine that they are hoping I will call back to see what it was about - and transfer the call to a premium-rate line which takes a big lump-sum on connection.

najaB

Veteran Member
I ignore them as I imagine that they are hoping I will call back to see what it was about - and transfer the call to a premium-rate line which takes a big lump-sum on connection.
0843x is charged as a lo-call rate. A lot of mobile phone plans will include them, if not then they'll normally be charged at around 5p per minute.

Calls being 'transferred' to premium-rate numbers is an urban legend, you can only be charged the rate for the number that you dialled.

AndrewE

Established Member
0843x is charged as a lo-call rate. A lot of mobile phone plans will include them, if not then they'll normally be charged at around 5p per minute.

Calls being 'transferred' to premium-rate numbers is an urban legend, you can only be charged the rate for the number that you dialled.
That's good to know, thanks. But what do they get out of ringing a phone so briefly that it cannot be answered?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
My comment was aimed at the inability of police forces all around the world to prosecute the criminals who run these scams.
Wonder what proportion of online or telephone scams are perpetrated cross border, meaning that the investigating authorities may not have any jurisdiction to take effective action?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Wonder what proportion of online or telephone scams are perpetrated cross border, meaning that the investigating authorities may not have any jurisdiction to take effective action?
The tendency for overseas scammers appears to use false British telephone numbers from a current telephone exchange to act as a third party in such calls.

steamybrian

Established Member
Next time the scammers call I shall say I have moved and my new address is..
24, Leinster Gardens, London W2 3ET.
I wonder if they will accept it :D :rolleyes: 8-)

Rutland23

Recently if I have had a call from a suspect number, I have been answering with:

"BT Fraudline, how can I help?"

If no hang up, then I follow with

"Are you reporting a scam or committing one?"

If they persist in trying to speak to me ( by name), then I follow up with:

"Suspect calls are being transferred from Mr XXXXX's number to be dealt with by the Fraudline. We will trace and prosecute nuisance and scam callers wherever they are.May I have your full name, home and business addresses, please"

Not sure what to do next as no calls have gone on further than this stage.

Suggestions?

Regards

Ian

On Moderation
Recently if I have had a call from a suspect number, I have been answering with:

"BT Fraudline, how can I help?"

If no hang up, then I follow with

"Are you reporting a scam or committing one?"

If they persist in trying to speak to me ( by name), then I follow up with:

"Suspect calls are being transferred from Mr XXXXX's number to be dealt with by the Fraudline. We will trace and prosecute nuisance and scam callers wherever they are.May I have your full name, home and business addresses, please"

Not sure what to do next as no calls have gone on further than this stage.

Suggestions?

Regards

Ian
Does this give you any ideas?

John Webb

Established Member
Interestingly I've not received any unwanted phone calls for the last three weeks. From June 1st to the 15th there were 10 calls (all intercepted by the "Call Guardian" system on my phone so I wasn't bothered by them). Since the 15th there have been no unwanted calls at all.
Have they realised at long last they won't get through? Or has my landline provider found a way of stopping them reaching me in the first place?

Lost property

It would appear I have evaded capture from the arrest warrant issued by HMRC and, my NI number, last heard of in West Wales, has also continued to function, despite the thoughtful call telling me it has been compromised...and to contact, etc, etc.

I have to go now, as there are several large helicopters and blacked out cars outs...

PeterY

Established Member
It would appear I have evaded capture from the arrest warrant issued by HMRC and, my NI number, last heard of in West Wales, has also continued to function, despite the thoughtful call telling me it has been compromised...and to contact, etc, etc.

I have to go now, as there are several large helicopters and blacked out cars outs...
And don't forget where you hid the drugs haul :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lost property

And don't forget where you hid the drugs haul :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Hah ! that's easy....two poppy plants have suddenly appeared in my garden...hidden in plain sight therefore...location of this international Class A distribution centre provided for interested parties....cash only...in advance ! preferably in used notes. Thank you.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interestingly I've not received any unwanted phone calls for the last three weeks. From June 1st to the 15th there were 10 calls (all intercepted by the "Call Guardian" system on my phone so I wasn't bothered by them). Since the 15th there have been no unwanted calls at all.
Have they realised at long last they won't get through? Or has my landline provider found a way of stopping them reaching me in the first place?
Remember all those old westerns and war movies, this is where someone says “I don’t like this, it’s too quiet”…. :D

The Ham

Established Member
Latest scam email was from Aldi UK saying that I've won a gift voucher.

Moat people would spot that it was a scam as the value of the voucher was $500!

duncanp

Established Member
I had a scam text message from "HSBC" saying that a new payee had been added to my online banking system, and if it wasn't me to ring this number.

Why do I know it was a scam?

Because I bank with.....Royal Bank of Scotland.

John Webb

Established Member

Remember all those old westerns and war movies, this is where someone says “I don’t like this, it’s too quiet”…. :D
Two days after posting the above I got a probable scam call on my mobile for a change. It was from an 0150X number. I'm not clear if they rang off before I took the call or if having answered they immediately rang off. Either they wanted me to ring back, no doubt at some expense, or wanted to find out if my mobile was an active number!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
My cousin in Maghull is in her eighties and a scam call came through which a district nurse treating her answered after listening to the preamble saying "This is "Spamalot" and we all pretend to be royalty here". The line went dead. A good Merseyside sense of humour works wonders.