• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A1 SPEARMINT - Norman McKillop - Toran Beg

Status
Not open for further replies.

PUFFINGBILLY

Something for you oldies.
Does the above ring any bells, or should I say blow whistles?

Have vague late 1950's/1960's-ish memories of reading some superb articles in one of the railway magazines penned by the above driver but using the pseudonym Toran Beg ( I think that was it ). He told of his many trips in such an excellent style it was if you were on the footplate with him. This was at a time when few if any steam engoine drivers were recording their experiences. Plenty did of course but after retirement.
No doubt Norman has passed away as his regular engine has.
SPEARMINT was an A1 (?A2/3) that was hardly ever photographed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

caliwag

Indeed...it was Toram. 60100 Spearmint, a Haymarket A3. I still have many articles and the repostes in letter form, often in Trains Illustrated. As I recall many of his arguements were about cut-off and open regulator. Well respected driver.
Should anyone wish to follow up the TIs can be purchased from VCT at KWVR...fascinating stuff if you're interested in main line steam opps in the 50s.

PUFFINGBILLY

Indeed...it was Toram. 60100 Spearmint, a Haymarket A3. I still have many articles and the repostes in letter form, often in Trains Illustrated. As I recall many of his arguements were about cut-off and open regulator. Well respected driver.
Should anyone wish to follow up the TIs can be purchased from VCT at KWVR...fascinating stuff if you're interested in main line steam opps in the 50s.

Thanks for this.
Now I know it's TI & I work as a guide on a heritage line (many many miles south of the KWVR sadly) that always has masses old mags/ to sell to raise funds I shall have a rummage this week-end.
Did Norman ever write a book?

Welshman

Established Member
Yes - it is called "Enginemen Elite" and published in 1972 by Ian Allen.
It's almost certainly out of print now, but I'm sure ebay or antiquarian booksellers may have a copy.

caliwag

I notice a copy on Amazon for agout £16...ABE only two available, one from the states, a tad more expensive than Amazon and one copy in the UK for £60+ postage. I will keep an eye out in our local secondhand book dealer.

I have found some articles in 1957 TIs with responses from a '45671'. Happy to check back for articles: I just have a few bound volumes of TI (they are a constant source of intrigue depending on your interests).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some other books mentioned here...

http://www.steamindex.com/library/mckillop.htm
Ha...you've awakened my curiosity...thanks.

Just checked 3 of my bound TIs

Articles by Torem Beg in 2/56, 4/56, 7/56, 8/56, 9-12/56
2/57, 5/57, 8/57, 10/57, 12/57 and 5/58,7/58 and 11/58 plus ripostes no doubt in the letters columns.

Also 11/57 and 3/58 by 45671.

Fascinating stuff...like a dictionary once you've opened it more, the more you find interesting.
I think you can ring the VCT museum/shop/magazine store on 01535 680425 and they will check your requests from stores. They might even post them! Definitely worth a visit though.

Happy hunting. Jim

caliwag

Hi Puffing Billy...did you have any luck with the Toram articles?

I can photocopy the ones I've got and post if you care to PM me your address.:D

PUFFINGBILLY

Hi Puffing Billy...did you have any luck with the Toram articles?

I can photocopy the ones I've got and post if you care to PM me your address.:D

Hi

Thanks for such a kind offer to a stranger. Actually I have access to railway books as they are donated to a heritage line & having already purchased at silly prices some Ivor Peters & Colin Gifford large format B/W picture books am hoping that Engineman Elite will soon come my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.