• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A838 to Allnabad via Gobernuisgach Lodge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has anyone driven this road?
I have driven the roads at both ends but chickened out going down it. At the ends it is gravel/stone rather than tarmac. At the A838 end it goes up a mountainside and looks at bit forbidding, at Allnabad looks fine, just very remote. B37D61B7-3579-499F-996D-603CCF22C1AE.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Looking at photos posted on Geograph, it certainly looks negotiable in a 4x4 (high wheelbase type) vehicle during favourable weather conditions.

Question might be: What happens if you encounter a locked gate, or a vehicle coming the other way, mid-section?

Yes, I have always been in a hire car, not sure Focus rent a car in Inverness would thank me if I got stuck down there

Elwyn

I think the Lodge belongs to the Westminster Estate and they don’t want people driving along their private estate roads unless they are staying at the Lodge. Hence the locked gate. Walkers and cyclists are welcome to use it though.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Apparently a former drove road, known as the Bealach nam Meirleach ("Robbers' pass") and now a ten mile private estate track. Only suitable for 4x4 vehicles. As mentioned upthread by @peri, it's gated at the West Merkland (A838) end, so problematic if locked. One for walkers, cyclists, or bona-fide visitors to the Lodge.

More info here...

Status
Not open for further replies.