• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abandoned Track Filming

Status
Not open for further replies.

allaboard06

Hello nice people. I am on the hunt for a disused/abandoned railway track for a small film shoot. Ideally somewhere rural, without very steep banks either side. Any ideas?! Thank you, Christine

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Efini92

Established Member
Have a look at the south staffs line between Lichfield and Walsall, most of the track is still in situ and parts will be quite rural.

etr221

Firstly I would point out that, wherever you go, you will need permission (which probably means some payment).

Secondly, what is it you are actually after? On the basis that it's actually somewhere with a bit of track but no trains, I would perhaps look at one of the lesser preserved lines (that don't run that often), and is probably easier to deal with than Network Rail. Or if just some track bed (no rails or anything), look on OS map for 'dismantled railway' - perhaps preserved railways with extension projects (where they have the land but nothing else) would be worth a look (Bluebell Horsted Keynes to Ardingly or KESR/Rother Valley Bodiam to Robertsbridge come to mind)

jupiter

I should contact the Operations department of a handy local heritage railway.

allaboard06

Firstly I would point out that, wherever you go, you will need permission (which probably means some payment).

Secondly, what is it you are actually after? On the basis that it's actually somewhere with a bit of track but no trains, I would perhaps look at one of the lesser preserved lines (that don't run that often), and is probably easier to deal with than Network Rail. Or if just some track bed (no rails or anything), look on OS map for 'dismantled railway' - perhaps preserved railways with extension projects (where they have the land but nothing else) would be worth a look (Bluebell Horsted Keynes to Ardingly or KESR/Rother Valley Bodiam to Robertsbridge come to mind)
Thank you for your response! Yes, we are expecting to apply for permission and pay where required.

We are ideally looking for a track that looks like it could still be operational, but no longer in use at all, for obvious reasons!

Will check out the lines you have mentioned. Thank you again for your help.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you for your response! Yes, we are expecting to apply for permission and pay where required.

We are ideally looking for a track that looks like it could still be operational, but no longer in use at all, for obvious reasons!

Will check out the lines you have mentioned. Thank you again for your help.

Whereabouts are you based @allaboard06 ?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In London but we are willing to travel.

Ok. A lot of heritage railways are able to accommodate filming contracts on days out of season when they’re not running trains. For instance The Watercress line between Alton and Alresford was used for filming the dystopian film Children of Men in the mid 2000s.

They even went to the effort of sowing weeds into the carpark at Alresford to achieve the rundown neglected air. It’s close to London too so maybe worth a look?

The Epping and Ongar Railway might be worth contacting too. I know you said you’re happy to travel but logistics wise I’d have thought that the closer to your base the better for this kind of thing?

There’s a lot of heritage railways that have experience with filming and most of the railway scenes that you see in various dramas and UK films are shot on these lines.

Magdalia

Established Member
The Nene Valley Railway has a long history of use as a film/TV location, see here:

However, I found this via a web search, not via links from their homepage. I can't be sure that they are doing this sort of thing now, especially as the list has no new entries since 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.