• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Is there any plan to have more GE diagrams Stadler operated? There is this one, which is booked 8 car but these will be fun tonight.
Do you mean Norwich to London diagrams? All of those services are operated by Stadler fleet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Is there any plan to have more GE diagrams Stadler operated? There is this one, which is booked 8 car but these will be fun tonight.

You must never go by that so early. It depends what they decide to attach & gets updated later.

The 19:32 gets withdrawn from the June GBTT change.

Railperf

Established Member
Do you mean Norwich to London diagrams? All of those services are operated by Stadler fleet.
I think he must mean Class 755 operated trains along the GE Main line. There is a triple class 755 diagram all day, leaving Norwich 07.26, 12.32 and 17.30 with returns from Liverpool St at 10.00, 15.00 and 20.00
Then there is usually a single or double 755 consist on the 19.32 Norwich to Liverpool St and 22.00 return to Ipswich. Plus for completeness the 0540 Colchester to Peterborough is a 755 and runs along the GE as far as Stowmarket. Both the 1950 and 2146 Peterborough to Colchester via Stowmarket are also diagrammed as 755's.
Not sure what the OP means by 'fun' ?

You must never go by that so early. It depends what they decide to attach & gets updated later.

The 19:32 gets withdrawn from the June GBTT change.
Yes, seems to be booked as a single unit in the morning and then a.n. other unit added as available later on.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
I think he must mean Class 755 operated trains along the GE Main line. There is a triple class 755 diagram all day, leaving Norwich 0726, 1132 and 17.30 with returns from Liverpool St at 10.00, 15.00 and 20.00
Then there is usually a single or double 755 consist on the 19.32 Norwich to Liverpool St and 22.00 return to Ipswich. Plus for completeness the 0540 Colchester to Peterborough is a 755 and runs along the GE as far as Stowmarket. Both the 1950 and 2146 Peterborough to Colchester via Stowmarket are also diagrammed as 755's.

Don’t you mean 12:32?

Yes, seems to be booked as a single unit in the morning and then a.n. other unit added as available later on.

Yes it’s not allocated until later when the most convenient attachment plan has been hatched.

Railperf

Established Member
Don’t you mean 12:32?

Yes it’s not allocated until later when the most convenient attachment plan has been hatched.
Yes 12.32, slip of the finger lol
RTT reports 19.32 usually allocated a 3 or 4 car in the morning presumably because the second unit is not allocated yet from what might be available.

On Moderation
I think he must mean Class 755 operated trains along the GE Main line. There is a triple class 755 diagram all day, leaving Norwich 07.26, 12.32 and 17.30 with returns from Liverpool St at 10.00, 15.00 and 20.00
Is that just weekdays, or are Saturdays booked as well for 755s into London?

dk1

Veteran Member
Is that just weekdays, or are Saturdays booked as well for 755s into London?
Saturdays too although we’ve had few full weekends without engineering works but even then some diagrams use triple traction.

On Moderation
Saturdays too although we’ve had few full weekends without engineering works but even then some diagrams use triple traction.
Thanks! Might have to have a spin, if/when a full service is running.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I think he must mean Class 755 operated trains along the GE Main line.
Yes.

There is a triple class 755 diagram all day, leaving Norwich 07.26, 12.32 and 17.30 with returns from Liverpool St at 10.00, 15.00 and 20.00

I meant it would be rammed as it was only a 3 car 755 but after I posted it they attached another 4 car to it. Didn’t know they allocated it later in the day.

Adrian1980uk

Yes.

I meant it would be rammed as it was only a 3 car 755 but after I posted it they attached another 4 car to it. Didn’t know they allocated it later in the day.
It does appear GA are using everything they've got to cover for the lack 745s, I just wonder how long this is sustainable and also wondering if it's contributing to the reduction in timetable from June.

dk1

Veteran Member
It does appear GA are using everything they've got to cover for the lack 745s, I just wonder how long this is sustainable and also wondering if it's contributing to the reduction in timetable from June.

Not really. There’s no real reduction in daytime or peak frequency. Just a few unnecessary trains being removed.

The only one I’m surprised at is the 21:00 ex-Liverpool St terminating Ipswich. That train has decent loadings to Stowmarket, Diss & Norwich & makes final connections to Yarmouth & on Fridays to Sheringham.

Adrian1980uk

Not really. There’s no real reduction in daytime or peak frequency. Just a few unnecessary trains being removed.

The only one I’m surprised at is the 21:00 ex-Liverpool St terminating Ipswich. That train has decent loadings to Stowmarket, Diss & Norwich & makes final connections to Yarmouth & on Fridays to Sheringham.
Yes I take your point removing a couple of trains with limited users isn't really a significant reduction in timetable but it is still a couple of sets less to find and adds some more time for overnight maintenance.

DiscoSteve

I have a simple question about Class 755's - I notice they have a power pack carriage in the middle - does this form a barrier between the two halves of the train for passengers? Or is there a corridor through them?

On Moderation
I have a simple question about Class 755's - I notice they have a power pack carriage in the middle - does this form a barrier between the two halves of the train for passengers? Or is there a corridor through them?
There is a corridor through the power pack, which can be used by passengers.

ac6000cw

Established Member
There is a corridor through the power pack.

So if you stand in the middle of it when a 4-car 755 is accelerating on diesel, you have 4 x V8 diesels in surround sound... :smile: (4-car units have four engines, 3-car only two)

Last edited:

DiscoSteve

thanks -

So if you stand in the middle of it when a 4-car 755 is accelerating on diesel, you have 4 x V8 diesels in surround sound... :smile: (4-car units have four engines, 3-car only two)
thanks - makes sense, otherwise it would be no better than paired up voyagers (or even the old APT) with their need for two sets of train crew

trebor79

Established Member
There's a similar corridor int he middle of the 745 units. No engines of course, but lots of electrical gubbins behind all the panelling. It's a bit of a weird corridor as it's quite long and opens out in the middle where the actual join between coaches is, the opposite to a usual corridor connection.
I still think the 745 and 755 fleet is the best stock introduced to the UK network for at least the past 20 years.

Railperf

Established Member
There's a similar corridor int he middle of the 745 units. No engines of course, but lots of electrical gubbins behind all the panelling. It's a bit of a weird corridor as it's quite long and opens out in the middle where the actual join between coaches is, the opposite to a usual corridor connection.
I still think the 745 and 755 fleet is the best stock introduced to the UK network for at least the past 20 years.
The 745's are essentially a pair of six car units permanently coupled together but with no cabs in the middle. That long corridor is essentially what would have been where two cabs would have been. Not sure what additional electrical gubbins would be in that space though apart from non driver related equipment - fuseboards circuit breakers, computers, that usually are fitted somewhere in the cabs.

Sometimes not full surround if one of the four engines is not running - does happen from time to time.

On Moderation
The 745's are essentially a pair of six car units permanently coupled together but with no cabs in the middle. That long corridor is essentially what would have been where two cabs would have been. Not sure what additional electrical gubbins would be in that space though apart from non driver related equipment - fuseboards circuit breakers, computers, that usually are fitted somewhere in the cabs.
If you look at the cab end of a 745 (and indeed a 755) there is also electrical equipment behind the cab in the same way as the middle of a 745. As I understand it, that area contains the traction equipment (power converters etc) for the motor bogie that it sits over. With the lower floor design of the FLIRTs there is less space underfloor for that equipment.

trebor79

Established Member
If you look at the cab end of a 745 (and indeed a 755) there is also electrical equipment behind the cab in the same way as the middle of a 745. As I understand it, that area contains the traction equipment (power converters etc) for the motor bogie that it sits over. With the lower floor design of the FLIRTs there is less space underfloor for that equipment.
Yes that was my understanding too. Sometimes you can hear inverter noises, fans running etc.

ac6000cw

Established Member
I think the 25kV step-down transformers are also in that area i.e. one per bogie, with a 25kV bus line at roof level to feed them. Keeps it all modular.

Railperf

Established Member
There's a 7-car consist at Wembley Yard 755/3 and a 755/4. Anyone know why?