• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fat_boy_pete

Do the 755/3 still howl? E.g. have the promised Modifications been completed and did it work sufficiently to sooth the disturbed residents of Sheringham?

If so, what was it a mechanical or software fix? Also will the 755/4's get the mod too, or was the issue a 755/3 thing only?

superjohn

They appear to have had a PIS software update in the four months since I was last on one.

I‘m on 755415 at the moment and it is displaying a list of connecting services at the next stop and the weather at the destination. I don’t recall seeing either of those before. Given their limited range of operation, I don’t imagine the weather at one end of a journey will be much different to the other but it’s a nice touch!

trebor79

Established Member
Yes I noticed that the other week too. Was actually quite useful as I knew just to head to platform 1 at Norwich for my connection.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm guessing these trains have bedded in well now?
A few minor issues occasionally but yes on the whole they have. The 3-cars as expected are slightly less reliable as only have the two diesel engines. Personally I haven’t suffered a fault or had to do a reset in months.

Railperf

Established Member
Thanks dk1, it's good to see something different and unique.
Drivers have had to get used to them too especially regarding what to do when things go wrong. As well as depot staff etc.
Surprisingly haven't read much about units going out of service prematurely due to low fuel levels.
We knew there would be teething issues.. But the biggest issue was the legacy fleet having to be withdrawn and sent to other TOCs when there were not enough 755s and trained drivers to bring them in to service.

While they have yet to start regular work between Norwich and London, it was certainly a contrast to the past to see a couple of spare units at Ipswich the last time I was there prior to Christmas. It has been a very long time since there were any lengthy periods of rail replacement buses for non infrastructure issues on the Felixstowe and Sudbury branches.

TheEdge

Established Member
Do the 755/3 still howl?
Nothing like as bad as they used to.

I'm guessing these trains have bedded in well now?
Like dk1 says there's nothing really beyond normally day to day issues of any fleet, the mass issues appear to have stopped.

While they have yet to start regular work between Norwich and London
What? The 745s are obviously on it daily now (which internally are basically identical) and there have been several times 755s have done full trips to London.

Railperf

Established Member
Superior reliability of the 755/4s over the 755/3s borne out by the Modern Railways figures of 18,500 miles per technical incident on a 755/5 vs 12,800 miles per technical incident for a 755/3. So a fair improvement!

Remarkably the all-electric 745 versions are struggling to exceed 8,000 miles per technical incident.

What's interesting is that the 755/4's are on average appearing to do more mileage per unit than 755/3 and 745/0 - unless there are units out of service at the moment. Modern Railways reliability table shows the amount of units, but it isn't clear how many units were used regularly during the period. There may be some units that have hardly moved. One would imagine the fleet operator would want to keep the mileage spread around so that the fleet gets equally used.
745/1's the most intensively used at appx 10,840 miles per unit, 755/4 at 9,780 miles, 755/3 at 8,854 miles per unit and 745/0 - 8,854 miles per unit.

samuelmorris

Established Member
On the few times I’m out and about, I never see 745/0s on Norwich services, it’s almost exclusively 745/1s. I appreciate it’s anecdotal evidence from only a handful of trips out but the sample size is getting pretty big. I assume availability of the 745s is too weak for whatever reason and the Stansted units are covering while 379s carry on as was. Quite odd.

Railperf

Established Member
On the few times I’m out and about, I never see 745/0s on Norwich services, it’s almost exclusively 745/1s. I appreciate it’s anecdotal evidence from only a handful of trips out but the sample size is getting pretty big. I assume availability of the 745s is too weak for whatever reason and the Stansted units are covering while 379s carry on as was. Quite odd.
From my own observations - travelling along West Anglia and the GEML - it appears to have been almost a 50/50 split between the subclasses on both routes. But the figures suggest the 745/1's are doing more mileage.

Of course on the odd-day i have noted more 745/0's on Stansteds than 745/1s. And vice-versa on the Norwich route.

Out of interest - is the whole fleet (745 and 755) now in active service? Or are there any short term / long term absentees?

What? The 745s are obviously on it daily now (which internally are basically identical) and there have been several times 755s have done full trips to London.

I'm aware that the 755s have worked to London when required. My comment was based the expectation (if that remains the case) that they will eventually be required for covering some London services post Covid.

Railperf

Established Member
I'm aware that the 755s have worked to London when required. My comment was based the expectation (if that remains the case) that they will eventually be required for covering some London services post Covid.
There was talk of a Lowestoft to London direct service utilising a 755 or a pair of 755s joining /splitting at Ipswich, but upstream of this thread, or the 745 thread, it has been mentioned that this does not look like it will happen now. That the idea is scrapped.

It appears 720's most likely to be used to supplement 745's on Liverpool Street to Norwich services - unless a 755 has to step in at short notice for operational reasons.

TheEdge

Established Member
AFAIK there is no current plan to diagram 755s to London. It'll all be 745 and 720 booked.

Sleepy

Established Member
I hear there is some concern about DOO camera reliability on 745/1 as on Stansted runs if camera's fail dispatch by platform staff is not permitted at intermediate stations on West Anglia.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Out of interest - is the whole fleet (745 and 755) now in active service? Or are there any short term / long term absentees?
I believe one of the broken two, 755 401, might still be out of traffic.

The other broken one, 755 418, returned to service a couple of months ago.

( I'm hoping I've got them the right way round here! ).

BrettSy96

I believe I was on 418 last week so looks like you’re correct :D

170TurboFan

755401 was in service Sunday, saw 418 last week. Haven’t seen 403 for a while.

dk1

Veteran Member
Only 1/5 diagrams where covered by a 745/1 one day last week on the GEML. Two of the four 745/0s however where upside down with 1st class at the Norwich end. Cant have everything I suppose :lol:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Indeed, the only one I observed on my way back home this afternoon was a /0, after making that comment :D

I believe someone was standing a bit close to the platform edge at Shenfield this morning when one came through. I didn't see which subclass it was as I was still trying to regain my senses after the horn being used just as it passed me. First time hearing a Flirt horn in person up close. Even though only the lower pitch was used, it was absolutely deafening and my ears were ringing for minutes afterwards. Certainly effective...

RailWonderer

Established Member
AFAIK there is no current plan to diagram 755s to London. It'll all be 745 and 720 booked.
Why wouldn't GA book a pair of 755s (once they are cleared to work in pairs) on the IC? They are more appropriate than a 3+2 commuter train with no tables. Someone here who GA may listen to please knock some sense into them. I don't want to see a 720 on the IC...ever, they would be a nightmare with their narrow aisles for suitcases and luggage many IC passengers carry and too many seats and no space to store luggage either.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why wouldn't GA book a pair of 755s (once they are cleared to work in pairs) on the IC?

Because, er, they need them for the regional services?

They are more appropriate than a 3+2 commuter train with no tables. Someone here who GA may listen to please knock some sense into them. I don't want to see a 720 on the IC...ever, they would be a nightmare with their narrow aisles for suitcases and luggage many IC passengers carry and too many seats and no space to store luggage either.

The ones run by 720s are arguably not ICs, rather they are a regional service on the same route?

RailWonderer

Established Member
Because, er, they need them for the regional services?

The ones run by 720s are arguably not ICs, rather they are a regional service on the same route?
Only 26 are needed even for the pre Covid timetable, GA have 38 755s. The Liverpool St - Ipswich was planned to be extended to Norwich and run as a 720 but that won't likely go ahead, the fasts were always meant to be 745s, or 755s if a 745 is not available. So far it has stayed that way.

dk1

Veteran Member
Why wouldn't GA book a pair of 755s (once they are cleared to work in pairs) on the IC? They are more appropriate than a 3+2 commuter train with no tables. Someone here who GA may listen to please knock some sense into them. I don't want to see a 720 on the IC...ever, they would be a nightmare with their narrow aisles for suitcases and luggage many IC passengers carry and too many seats and no space to store luggage either.
It is a possibility as there are more 755s than there is work for. After all the Ni90 services where booked to have pairs of 755 units. Multiple working in passenger service is not yet cleared nor is multiple working in electric mode on anything other than the ongoing test trip workings.

Established Member
From memory before the 37s and 68s turned up the GA DMU requirement was 23 diagrams from a fleet of 26 units. As there are now 38 755s there are 12 more units to play with. Some of that may be used up by the extensions to Stansted Airport and more time needed for refuelling due to the limited fuel range, but there is still plenty of spare capacity. Mostly because there are no through London - Lowestoft services, Ipswich - Peterborough remains 2 hourly and the proposed Sudbury - Colchester Town service was strangled before being born.

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
It is a possibility as there are more 755s than there is work for. After all the Ni90 services where booked to have pairs of 755 units. Multiple working in passenger service is not yet cleared nor is multiple working in electric mode on anything other than the ongoing test trip workings.
Is there still no expected date when 755 AC multiple working will be permitted?