• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Online Assesment

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoTheRigger

Thanks Bo. I'm going to be based at Worcester. I'm hoping there won't be any delay, I'm ready and raring to go but May 2021 is the provisional start date. WMT needed me to retake the DFFT and the glop and dials but it was fine, less pressure when you only have a few tests to focus on. Good luck
Thanks Paul. I guess I’ll find out in due course. I’ve applied for Worcester too so might see you there if I get through! Hope you don’t have to wait too long.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wba0986

Those of you due to start on Monday are you still starting? Have you had any correspondence from wmt?

Nige Appleby

Those of you due to start on Monday are you still starting? Have you had any correspondence from wmt?
I'm still due to start Monday, haven't heard anything to the contrary. I have had the PTS handbook through on email to pre-read prior to starting next week.

Wba0986

I'm still due to start Monday, haven't heard anything to the contrary. I have had the PTS handbook through on email to pre-read prior to starting next week.
Excellent news then that training is still continuing as normal as can be. I bet yesterday was refreshing nige

Withoutabix

Indeed same as Nige everything going ahead as planned

Ordered my Uniform
Safety Shoes have arrived
PTS booklet come through

andyccfc

How has the first couple of days been? I have been in touch to see where the Coventry depot intake is sat and apparently looking at May start date for anyone in the same boat as me.

Dante

How has the first couple of days been? I have been in touch to see where the Coventry depot intake is sat and apparently looking at May start date for anyone in the same boat as me.
Oh thanks for this. I wonder if that's without the need for interview retakes, fingers crossed

Wba0986

Also keen to hear how everyone is getting on. For those waiting on a medical check your inboxes, I've just received provisional start date of 3rd May pending medical.

Dante

I've just had mine for the 10th May provisional start date and I've got to do my medical again, despite only having it in May.

Withoutabix

Has been really good but nothing much to do with driving so to speak, all Microsoft teams based at home, going through the company induction program along with some office staff and the new conductor intake, nice and relaxed so far but have PTS beginning tomorrow with an practical assessment on that next week at Tysley depot, moving into the training centre the following week

andyccfc

Do you think people get this far and turn it down ? Its a big decision
Just a big career change for me, not to mention initial wage drop. Not something you can really make light hearted. I’m in a secure job so to drop that and move in uncertain times is a big decision yeah. At the end of the day it is just a job for most people, never something I’ve thought of doing until I applied so just need to be sure it’s the right thing to do.

Cranky

Just a big career change for me, not to mention initial wage drop. Not something you can really make light hearted. I’m in a secure job so to drop that and move in uncertain times is a big decision yeah. At the end of the day it is just a job for most people, never something I’ve thought of doing until I applied so just need to be sure it’s the right thing to do.
I'm exactly the same , been in a job for over 20 years and applied because someone I knew was so gave it a go and got here now. Just intrigued if people don't take it when its comes to it? Its not just a job change but a complete lifestyle

HLE

Established Member
Yes, some do. It's rare but reality suddenly hits home. Its a lifestyle change for most after all. Some do for personal reasons. What is slightly more common, but still low, is people dropping out or getting the push during training or post-qual.

Given the pandemic, if I were in this position now I reckon I'd be considering it. Be a bit daft not to, having a secure career and having a mortgage to pay. Last in first out on the railway, after voluntary.

Last edited:

iwasyoungonce

Train Driver, one of the hardest jobs to get into, but one of the easiest to lose, sometimes a bird in the hand !

andyccfc

I'm exactly the same , been in a job for over 20 years and applied because someone I knew was so gave it a go and got here now. Just intrigued if people don't take it when its comes to it? Its not just a job change but a complete lifestyle
Yep, carbon copy! I am coming from the police so not so much of a lifestyle change as such as I am used to shift work etc, but more the job security really and starting again. Like the last replies say, its not the ideal time to be jumping from one career to another but the one saving grace with me is I have 5 years to rejoin the police if all else fails. Wouldn't go back to my same team or anything but still, its better than nothing at all.

But as said, its so difficult to get the job you would be silly not to give it a go. I think you would regret it more not trying than joining and if the worst happens and it doesnt work out, regretting joining in the first place.

Villan

Hi all, I am in the same boat as many of you here. I have yet to have my medical and have been given a provisional start date for 13th May(3 days after the rest of most you as I currently work for WMT and won't need to do the company induction). I know Coventry depot very well so if you have any questions then please feel free to ask. Anyone with any doubts about taking the plunge into becoming a train driver, let me tell you that the drivers I know think it's the best job in the world and they are extremely privileged (still doesn't stop them moaning mind you! )

Nige Appleby

I had my medical about 6 weeks prior to starting. So hopefully that gives some idea of when to expect yours.

Nige Appleby

Did they give you multiple dates to choose from ? How much notice did they give you ?
I had 3 weeks notice, just the one date as it was an appointment. That date had to be re-arranged so I then I had a weeks notice for next date which was the end of November 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.