• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abusive traveller / Helpful guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smudger105e

I would like to thank a member of XC staff for their support and professionalism when dealing with an incident in which I was involved this evening (28/8/12)

I had spent all day with my 5 year old grandson at the NRM at York, and had a great day, I had trouble getting him away, and had to buy him a Brio Bullet Train as bribery to go home!!

We caught a Reading service from York to Derby, and changed there for the 19:05 Derby to Nottingham, which we intended to leave at Long Eaton to collect my car and dispose of grandson back to his parents.

I boarded the service, and there was a guy there who was sitting alone at a table, with his feet up on the seat opposite. I asked if he would please remove his feet from the seat in order that we could sit in the seats, and he declined, saying his legs hurt and he wouldn't take them off for anyone.

I decided to instruct my grandson to sit in the seat next to the guy's feet, and I sat next to him. I could have sat elsewhere, but I won't be intimidated.

He then proceeded to tell me not to touch him or he would beat me up. I did question him about him not being fit enough to put his feet down, but was apparently fit enough to beat me up. His only response to this was to demand that I didn't speak to him, as he didn't know me.

A lady behind me tapped me on the shoulder and apologised, saying that I shouldn't have had to take that abuse, and that she felt his behaviour was totally unacceptable.

Because there are barriers at Derby, no ticket check was undertaken before Long Eaton.

When I left the train at LGE I went to the Guard and explained the events, and said I would be taking it no further, but he said he would sort it out, and as there was football on this evening in Nottingham, there will be 'people' to help (implication being the Boys in Blue).

Just as I was about to leave the station, and the guard was about to close the doors, the individual alighted and started asking the Guard about 'what's his f'in problem' as well as a lot of swearwords in what can be fairly described as a rant. The guard asked him a number of times if he was intending to travel, and then closed the doors, while the guy continued to be aggressive and abusive.

The guy then left the station, with the parting shot at me of 'I weren't even going to Nottingham, you pr!ck'.

Problem was, I was going to have to leave the station by the same route, and I wasn't happy doing that with my grandson in tow. Never know what might be waiting for me down there now!!

The Guard continued to watch this individual from the platform, and advised me that he was seen getting in a taxi, which then left the area.

I gave the Guard my name and mobile number in order that he could record the reason for the delay.

The Guard was polite to everyone, understood my plight, and was on the verge of calling Police to deal with this guy. So thanks to him.

Anyone with TRUST access know what the delay was to this service at Long Eaton?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tcm1106

I would like to thank a member of XC staff for their support and professionalism when dealing with an incident in which I was involved this evening (28/8/12)

I had spent all day with my 5 year old grandson at the NRM at York, and had a great day, I had trouble getting him away, and had to buy him a Brio Bullet Train as bribery to go home!!

We caught a Reading service from York to Derby, and changed there for the 19:05 Derby to Nottingham, which we intended to leave at Long Eaton to collect my car and dispose of grandson back to his parents.

I boarded the service, and there was a guy there who was sitting alone at a table, with his feet up on the seat opposite. I asked if he would please remove his feet from the seat in order that we could sit in the seats, and he declined, saying his legs hurt and he wouldn't take them off for anyone.

I decided to instruct my grandson to sit in the seat next to the guy's feet, and I sat next to him. I could have sat elsewhere, but I won't be intimidated.

He then proceeded to tell me not to touch him or he would beat me up. I did question him about him not being fit enough to put his feet down, but was apparently fit enough to beat me up. His only response to this was to demand that I didn't speak to him, as he didn't know me.

A lady behind me tapped me on the shoulder and apologised, saying that I shouldn't have had to take that abuse, and that she felt his behaviour was totally unacceptable.

Because there are barriers at Derby, no ticket check was undertaken before Long Eaton.

When I left the train at LGE I went to the Guard and explained the events, and said I would be taking it no further, but he said he would sort it out, and as there was football on this evening in Nottingham, there will be 'people' to help (implication being the Boys in Blue).

Just as I was about to leave the station, and the guard was about to close the doors, the individual alighted and started asking the Guard about 'what's his f'in problem' as well as a lot of swearwords in what can be fairly described as a rant. The guard asked him a number of times if he was intending to travel, and then closed the doors, while the guy continued to be aggressive and abusive.

The guy then left the station, with the parting shot at me of 'I weren't even going to Nottingham, you pr!ck'.

Problem was, I was going to have to leave the station by the same route, and I wasn't happy doing that with my grandson in tow. Never know what might be waiting for me down there now!!

The Guard continued to watch this individual from the platform, and advised me that he was seen getting in a taxi, which then left the area.

I gave the Guard my name and mobile number in order that he could record the reason for the delay.

The Guard was polite to everyone, understood my plight, and was on the verge of calling Police to deal with this guy. So thanks to him.

Anyone with TRUST access know what the delay was to this service at Long Eaton?

3 late leaving Long Eaton but back on time by Beeston. No delay reason mentioned on TRUST.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Worth an email to XC , so the conductor can be traced - and thanked. Handled well all round. There are some idiots around with no respect.

I've just checked out roster to find who the the senior conductor was and found he's a colleague who works out of my depot. He's a cracking chap and very good at his job. Glad he was of help.

Aictos

Established Member
I've had a similar experience with South West Trains, this guy boarded at Winchester and pretended to be "asleep" when the guard came though checking tickets - this passenger then got abusive so the guard backed off and checked everyone else's ticket.

Anyway, after Woking the guard asked this guy again if he had a valid ticket to which the guy got really abusive to the guard to the extend I actually thought he was going to punch the guard in the face!

I moved into the next carriage and tweeted both South West Trains alerting them to the incident by asking for BTP assistance and calling the BTP myself stating I was worried this guy would attack the guard and other passengers, giving full details possible - SWT advised that they would contact the guard to ensure he was okay.

This guy was met at Waterloo by RPIs and BTP, I and a fellow colleague got thanks from South West Trains for being alert and helpful :)

I could have acted the hero as I have passed my door supervisor qualification this year BUT I'm not insured to take the risk, if that guy attacked me I could be out of work for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.