• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Access by local bus to the Glos & Warks Railway at Cheltenham Racecourse

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
I visited the Glos & Warwickshire Railway yesterday, to travel on the new Broadway extension.

I arrived in Cheltenham by Cross Country train and caught the frequent (every 10 minutes) bus from outside the station to the Park & Ride stop, from where it's about half a mile walk to Cheltenham Racecourse station - terminus of the heritage railway. The return bus fare was £3.70 "Cheltenham Dayrider", but I could have saved 20p with a Cheltenham Plusbus ticket - even more with a railcard.

It was only after I'd walked most of the way to Racecourse station that I realised that, after I'd got off, the same bus route continued on and actually passed right by the station itself; but without stopping. Are there any plans to put a new bus stop in at the Racecourse station in future, and remove the need to do the 1 mile return walk? It was no great problem for me on a pleasant Summer's day; but what about those who are mobility impaired, or when it's raining?

As an aside, once in Broadway, I can thoroughly recommend the Good Beer Guide-listed Crown & Trumpet for something to eat; other establishments are, of course, available.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
I had a similar experience a couple of months ago. As with you -- no terrible problem: I'm standard-ly mobile, and it was a fairly clement day; but it would be good -- and as far as the visiting layman can see, not a horrible difficulty -- to have buses on the relevant route calling at Racecourse station. Would be worth suggesting to the bodies concerned; re the G&WR, maybe best received from members of the supporting preservation society, which I don't belong to?

Trouble is, the A435 road which goes over the bridge at Racecourse Station is not particularly wide and is very busy, the bridge is at the top of a hill, and I can't see where a bus stop could be put in - quite apart from the dangers of crossing that road. I can't see that Stagecoach would be keen on running the regular service through the car park to the station and then having to retrace the route to the racecourse entrance either. Of course, on some gala days there is a vintage bus link...

ETA I agree with the OP about the Crown and Trumpet!

reddragon

Established Member
The problem is that the speed limit on that road is 60 mph and the road rises to a create a 'blind' spot both ways.

The railway would love to have a bus stop on that road but until the council do something about the speed limit then nothing can happen.

duffield

Established Member
I wonder if some sort of minibus shuttle from the P&R to the Racecourse station (via the racecourse internal roads, not the main road) might work, with a small charge (maybe a voluntary donation?).

xc170

I did think the same when I visited earlier in the year, would be good to have a stop a bit closer.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I wonder if some sort of minibus shuttle from the P&R to the Racecourse station (via the racecourse internal roads, not the main road) might work, with a small charge (maybe a voluntary donation?).
Good idea, maybe using a "Vintage Bus" too.?

sikejsudjek

My understanding is that the highways/police object to any bus stop on the A road. Not much the railway can do unless the council alter the road and/or speed limit. Its a shame that Cheltenham council has shown little or no interest in the steam railway. IMO 60mph is a dangerous limit on that road anyway - particularly when you can get cars queuing up back from the roandabout with a blind humped back bridge just before it.

reddragon

Established Member
I have emailed the council to ask why there is no bus stop.

They tell me that they will respond shortly with an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.