• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

Butts

Veteran Member
It's not exactly a budget-friendly option but for easy access to train and bus stations as well as the ferry terminal in Oban then the royal hotel is a very good option. Decent food and nice selection of whiskies. Plentiful supply of hot water at pretty much any time of the day

It's not the 1960's you know !!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Ugh

Stayed there three years ago and when I opened the door to “my” room there was a bloke asleep in there. Unfortunately (for me) he was naked and he had no covers on him. The reception staff were remarkably sanguine about it when I went back downstairs and asked them what was going on

But apropos Glasgow, Grasshoppers is absolutely fantastic. 6th or 7th floor above Central station, nice rooms, great service

Shame it wasn't a naked woman - unless....

Established Member
Travelodge Glasgow Queen Street. Apologies if I've already written this up earlier in the thread but it was my last hotel stay before restrictions were tightened sufficiently in Scotland to make hotel stays a thing of the past for a while. It has the 2015 to 2018 style of rooms in terms of fittings and decor and bathroom. Converted office tower as so many are these days and 5 minutes from both Queen Street station and Buchanan Bus station with a little Tesco almost next door. Home bar and restaurant when such facilities are open and lots of city centre eating and drinking places nearby as well as full access to all the delivery services you could want, a nice smiling uber eats man brought me a mister Singh's India curry and some chilled Cider whilst I stayed.

I'm watching what I'm doing with Travelodge at the moment as their financial situation is to say the very least precarious. Do anyone with reward nights or credits from previous cancellations or compensation I would get these booked and used pronto before they either collapse due to lack of cash flow or get a a landlord on their hands and find properties sold to other hotel operators
I stayed there last week in a Super Room as it was only a quid per night dearer. Arrived at around 01:30 to a warm welcome and got checked in quickly. The room felt posher than a regular Travelodge. The hot chocolate sachets and a couple of kit kats were a nice touch, you normally have to go begging for hot chocolate I find. I'd reccomend the super rooms but wouldn't pay a massive premium for them. But for £25.99 a night it was an absolute steal.
Ugh

Stayed there three years ago and when I opened the door to “my” room there was a bloke asleep in there. Unfortunately (for me) he was naked and he had no covers on him. The reception staff were remarkably sanguine about it when I went back downstairs and asked them what was going on

But apropos Glasgow, Grasshoppers is absolutely fantastic. 6th or 7th floor above Central station, nice rooms, great service
Similar happened to me in Croydon, but in reverse. (Fortunately it was November) the guy who walked it was obviously confused and apologetic and went down to reception to complain. I went and complained the following morning and was given a free drink+breakfast. Travelodge's Social Media team also got wind of it and they ended up refunding that night's stay.

ChrisC

Established Member
I stayed there last week in a Super Room as it was only a quid per night dearer. Arrived at around 01:30 to a warm welcome and got checked in quickly. The room felt posher than a regular Travelodge. The hot chocolate sachets and a couple of kit kats were a nice touch, you normally have to go begging for hot chocolate I find. I'd reccomend the super rooms but wouldn't pay a massive premium for them. But for £25.99 a night it was an absolute steal.
I stayed in Glasgow Queen Street Travelodge in September 2019. I also stayed in a Super Room which was very quiet and comfortable up on the top floor. I remember it was quite reasonably priced for a city centre location.

I only use Travelodge these days if it’s one that has Super Rooms and only if reasonably priced. I find the Super Room does bring them up to a similar standard as Premier Inn. As I get older I prefer to spend a few nights in a hotel, instead of one night stays, and I can’t stand having to live out of a case as I find you do in standard Travelodge rooms. At least in a Super Room there are some shelves to store your belongings. I rarely bother with a Travelodge breakfast as I don’t think they are anywhere near as good as Premier Inn.

I’ve had some very good rooms at reasonable prices in Best Western Hotels in recent years and they don’t seem to have raised their prices this summer as others have.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Stayed in the new premier Inn overlooking Portsmouth and Southsea Station last November.
Excellent hotel if you want to do trainspotting from the comfort of your room.
They were clearly having teething issues with the it system on check in but apart from that it was a nice stay.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Word of warning regarding the Ibis hotel in Hull.

Booked it at the end of March on the "free cancellation upto 3 days before arrival" rate which seems to be the default on the Accor website for a Saturday at the start of July. Cancelled the booking a couple weeks later expecting to see the refund within a couple weeks.

Nothing after a month so after sending a couple emails (both via the Accor website contact us & the email address for the hotel given on the cancellation email) to get no response I had to involve my card provider to do a chargeback (which they agreed to do).

So don't book Ibis and cancel as they like holding onto your money in the hope you don't kick up a fuss.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Holiday Inn express London Stratford.

Built for the Olympics the public areas of this hotel are the haps a little more lavish than your average HIEX

Rooms are standard new spec brand standard however and absolutely fine 9ol though the air conditioning is more complicated than it really needs to be. Clean and generally well maintained, breakfast good and service times nice and flexible. Very handy for Stratford but you will spend a lot of time crossing roads if walking to it so you might wish to consider the DLR from Stratford high Street if wanting services from international as this is only 1/32 walk away or a bus to Stratford bus station again from a stop 30 seconds walk from the hotel door and worth the cost of oyster or better still if on a travelcard or whatever purely for the convenience factor

easyHotel Ipswich

Possibly comes as a bit of a shock for someone who stayed in a holiday Inn express the previous night but as an aficionado of easyHotel this one is definitely good. The windowless rooms are perhaps a little lacking in space if you have larger items of luggage with you but otherwise are fine. Airconditioning took a little while to kick in but other than that it was fine although the shower perhaps could have been more powerful. No frills as you'd expect but lots of food places nearby and both just eat and uber eats operating in the town so so many options. Bean-to-cup coffee machine in reception
Not particularly near the station, 25 minute walk or a 5-minute bus journey. Theoretically the Anglia plus rover is valid on all buses between the station and the town centre but as it was queried on the Saturday night that I stayed I suspect hardly anyone use it. Paid contactless with Ipswich buses for the return leg of this trip.

Premier Inn London Southwark station, 21 the cut, London

A brand new, flagship Premier Inn property in a lovely quiet location that I can't imagine being noisy even when things return NH completely to normal. As a result I will absolutely 100-percent use again and it replaces my previous two favourite chain hotels within Central London. Didn't eat here because I was out for Sunday dinner in Kent on arrival day and out for an unusual diversion and and traction fest on the following morning however the most important thing about any hotel is its rooms and these are definitely up to the usual high standard. The one I had was a shower only which suits me and it was very very powerful. This hotel offers luggage storage which is absolutely ideal if you arrived in London and wish to get rid of your mobile house before spending the rest of the day karting only a few bits pieces with you
Tesco express near the tube and of course if your on paper or a travelcard season you can walk through the station to access Waterloo east and hence on towards Waterloo but if using oyster pay-as-you-go or contactless you would likely be charged for doing this which is perhaps a little bit of a nuisance but it doesn't least give you the option to be lazy and take the jubilee line instead. Approximately 3 minutes walk from the station and you definitely need Google maps handy because the Premier Inn is not obvious but the big appeal for me with this hotel is the fact that it's tucked away down a pedestrianised sides Street and very peaceful

Established Member
Travelodge Edinburgh Learmonth.

Hmm. It's not one of the better Travelodges I've been in. But too much beer and missing the last train home, along with no availability showing on the Sleeper, caused it to be somewhat of a necessity. £25.99 on the day in Edinburgh should probably have seemed a bit too good to be true. No air con, and only one small window to open. It's an old building so you hear a lot of noise with doors slamming and floors creaking. Plenty of buses go past though and it's not that far to walk from the City Centre. I probably wouldn't stay there again though.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Travelodge St Albans Central

New hotel above a pub in the city centre area, but no noise from outside (helps that my room overlooked a footpath). Around a 15 minute walk from City station (think Abbey station is a bit closer). Although the time can increase with waiting for traffic lights to cross roads

Only issue I had was with a noisy AC unit and the curtains not being the best at keeping the light out (bit of a gap at the top).

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sampled 2 more hotels this last weekend:

Travelodge Loughborough Central

Around a 15 minute walk from the station (via the road, ~20 minutes by the canal). The building looks modern however it lacked AC so was a bit hot (usual limited . I had a room which overlooked the Canal Wharf so a nice view however there is a pub in that area so was quite noisy (on a Friday night).

EasyHotel, Sheffield
Located in the city centre, between Castle Square & Ponds Forge Tram stops so less than 10 minutes from the station (depends which route you take, as I prefer the slightly longer route following the tram tracks). Usual Easy Hotel in terms of the rooms (basic), but the AC felt excellent in my windowless room. Certainly one I will use again if I ever need to stay overnight in Sheffield. I would imagine if you get a window room overlooking the trams you might hear them.

Established Member
A few more hotels recently:

The Briar Rose Wetherspoon, Birmingham
Faultless really. Decent size single room, bigger than it looked on the pictures. No issue with luggage storage before check in. Obviously food and drink is as you'd expect from 'Spoons. Slept really well. A lot plusher than my next two nights away which were in...

EasyHotel London Victoria
Probably the worst welcome to a hotel I've had frankly. The receptionist asked if I had a reservation, then for my name. And nothing else was said. A "Good evening" or even a "hello" would have been nice. Far more interested in watching the TV opposite than checking me in, I also wasn't given a wifi code (which you get free if you book direct). I'll stop moaning about it now though. I was in a small double room with no window which all seemed to be on the lower ground floor, only accessible by stairs. It's a fairly old building, not nearly as plush as the Ipswich hotel. For less than £50 for two nights it was an absolute steal. They certainly won't fall foul of the Trade Descriptions Act though, it felt more like sleeping in a cupboard under the stairs than a hotel room it was so small. Very little floor space so don't bring too much luggage, or a companion you aren't prepared to be very intimate with. The air con was excellent, almost too good and I slept very well. I'll definitely stay again, and all the other staff I came across were far more friendly.

Travelodge Glasgow Central
A booking of (semi) necessity after the WCML fell over rather spectacularly and getting home became less preferable to paying £25.99 for a hotel. The bar Cafe is open again although no draught beer, just a fairly poor range of extremely expensive bottles. The food was decent enough though and not too expensive. Slept very well and indulged in breakfast the next morning, buffet style but it gets brought to you. I agree with comments that it's not as good as Premier Inn breakfast. Not far from Cowcaddens Subway and right infront of the EasyHotel. Which I've also stayed in last year and was very good also, although I recall someone having a row in the corridor at 1AM.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The Luton and Victoria easyhotels are the oldest two in the portfolio and badly need a bit of money spending on them and indeed would advocate for the Victoria one to be closed and relocated to somewhere more appropriate

Thanks for the information of out food and drink availability at Travelodge, not that I have any intention of staying in one in the foreseeable but the fact that food and beverage is once again offered is useful to note

High Dyke

Established Member
Recently stayed at Travelodge Epsom, convenient for station - being part of the station building. Had a room on the railway side of the building, but never really noticed the trains. Info for the hotel does refer to possible noise from rail engineering work.

Other recent stay was the Travelodge in Leeds City centre, close to the station. It was a late notice booking, but the welcome was warm and, under the circumstances, accommodation sorted without fuss.

bspahh

Established Member
I recently stayed at the Exeter Central St Davids Premier Inn. It is across the road from Exeter St Davids station. It took 10-15 minutes to check in as there a queue and the self-service check in wasn't working. The room was fine. My wife liked that the window opened, but this meant there was a little traffic noise. We were there for one night and didn't try the restaurant or breakfast.

Next we stayed at the Paignton Seafront (Goodrington Sands) Premier Inn. Its about a mile to walk from Paignton station or a quarter of a mile from a bus stop. Its next to the beach. We were in the annex, which has been built over part of the car park. This was built in 2018 and it is perfectly clean and comfortable. The air conditioning was fine, but the window didn't open. I don't care too much about the architecture of a hotel, but the annex has prefabricated units on a steel frame above the car park. It looks like a site office on a building site.

It has a Brewer's Fayre restaurant. I had been a sunny Sunday and they had been really busy and had switched off their online table booking system. I thought that I had booked a table, but it seems that I hadn't. They still let us have a table, and the food was fine. Some other people had been waiting an hour for their food.

We then had 4 nights at the Plymouth City Centre (Derry's Cross) Premier Inn. This is a new hotel in an old department store. At the moment, the reviews for it on Tripadvisor are a mix of 5* and 1*. Its a new hotel. We had a nice big room, with a good quality shower. The staff were really nice, but there were some minor glitches. We didn't have any meals in the hotel. A number of the grumpy reviews are from people who had problems with the meals. Some of this is because there is reduced capacity for social distancing. The hotel in the city centre, so its an easy walk from the station and to the sea front. My wife loved the Tinside lido. Its a 5-10 minute walk to the nearest car park.

We then had a night at the Gipsy Hill Hotel in Pinhoe on the edge of Exeter. This was a 10 minute walk from Pinhoe station or from the park and ride buses. I was less impressed with this. There were spots of black mould around the window frames and there was a musty smell.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Stayed at that hotel for a night a few years back for £19. Room with a view to some.

View attachment 99396

I had the "pleasure" of that place last August time when the temperatures were warm (so a case of needing the window open), and had a room overlooking the tracks themselves.

The point work at the depot end of Leeds station is quite noisy, especially when you get more movements towards the depot late at night/early morning. Decent view of the station mind

DanNCL

Established Member
Stayed in the Premier Inn “hub” hotel near Haymarket station last week. Paid just over £40 for the night, not bad considering it was booked less than a week in advance and included breakfast. The bed was comfortable, the touch controls for the lights and ac by the bed were very good, and the blackout blind was probably the best blackout blind I’ve ever encountered in a hotel. The staff were excellent too. Would definitely recommend it.

View was pretty good too:
803AC118-5239-4257-AA08-2E5CFE913997.jpeg

317 forever

Established Member
I concur with that. Horrible place to spend a night! Same for the Britannia place in Wolverhampton, oh my days both hotels are horrible. Even the grimmer hostels in London (there's one in Borough and one near Greenwich that I can't remember the names of right now, but immediately come to mind) could not be considered worse!
I worked as a Business Hotel Consultant a few years ago. We received advice to stop offering Britannia due to so many poor experiences by clients. o_O

My experiences of Premier Inn have usually been reasonable to good. The welcomes at a Coventry one in 2016 and at Middlesbrough last year were particularly memorable! Not so good last year were when the one at London Hanger Lane was a bit cold on a night in July (when the weather was below average for the summer) and Bristol Lewins Mead. I put a Do not disturb sign in front of my door to have a little snooze after breakfast but a cleaner still came in anyway! She did apologise but that's not the point.

Something odd has just has happened. I tried to booking a Standard rate for a Premier Inn September but my Visa card expires at the end of August. My booking was declined as the card needed to be valid upon checkout! This is ridiculous as they would have taken payment today not being the fully flexible rate. Plus, by the time my 28 day option to cancel ceases, it will still be August. So I don't understand the problem.

Travelodge has improved, notably by not giving us Nescafe anymore. The soap does not smell so nice and reminds me a little of vinegar. My "Super room" at Leeds Central last year was a bit too warm. Conversely, my room at Travelodge Plus at Aldgate in London in 2019 was excellent! It was the Sunday night before the August Bank Holiday and, given that a porter told me all the Travelodges in central London were packed due to the Notting Hill Carnival, I considered my £47 rate especially good value! Admittedly I had booked it in January when the chain still needed the revenue but few people would have been thinking ahead to the August Bank Holiday. (For those of you familiar with London buses, I timed my trip in the hope of combining the short-term opportunity to ride an EvoSeti on route 134 and a BYD on route 214. Things did indeed go according to plan, although it meant shunning an electric MetroDecker which had arrived a bit sooner than expected.)

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think you've just touched on the only positive point about Travelodge in my opinion. They have indeed upgraded the coffee, can't remember what they using now and suspect it's probably some catering mass-produced brand but the fact that it's no longer the standard issue slightly bitter packet NESCAFÉ stick that almost every other hotel chooses to treat us with is a marked improvement. Out of all the sort of major budget chains Travelodge are the only rooms that I now drink coffee in, a bit of a downside really seeing as I socially distance myself from anything to do with them wherever at all possible

My experiences of Britannia have actually been positive, best hotel breakfast for a very long time until recently was had in the one in Stockport back in 2019

Another memorable aspect of that stay was the fact that on arrival the rain was coming down in a way that would make Noah head to b&Q to augment his wood supply and when I approached the bar the guy working behind it guessed what I wanted before I even ordered it despite having never met him and never having stayed in that hotel before

The answer if anyone's interested was a large warming brandy as I was noticeably shivering

Whilst I'm here a quick warning to anyone 10-in to stay at Premier Inn Glasgow Charing cross in the foreseeable, v air-conditioning is is well and truly on the blink. I was there are two weeks ago on a warm night and sleep was not the best. Some was achieved so you could say I got what I went for but I did make a polite comment on messenger about excellent staff and good food and beverage with a little twinge about the general temperature throughout the hotel not just in the room and without even asking I got my money back so they're obviously aware but it's an issue. The young lass working at breakfast was particularly annoyed with this issue I believe

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Highland gate by Marston's inns Stirling. This is stirlings third just off the motorway type hotel, the 1 not mentioned being a particularly elderly Travelodge which is adjacent to the Stirling motorway service area. Can't quite recall when the pub was built but I know that the hotel rooms across the car park in a separate blog only opened in the latter part of 2019 so due to low usage in 2020 due to the virus are still practically brand new. Full air-conditioned rooms, decent ensuite bathroom and nice room with plenty of sockets. Wi-Fi a little slow but it is free. I'll reserve judgement on the bed until I've slept it but appears a little bit hard and perhaps slightly cheap but perhaps I'm I'm expecting too much having stayed on a Premier Inn bed last night

Reasonable Marston's pub across the car park which is large. Not all that far from a bus park and ride for journey into Stirling city centre

Premier Inn Stirling South M9 junction 9. As might be expected, and absolutely terrible hotel for bashing purposes but much better if driving to the area or night stopping on the way to or from somewhere further north that takes ages to get to. Would also be an absolutely fantastic location to put the feet up and rest for a couple of days before or after an all line rover or freedom of Scotland or something similar on which you've been very busy and perhaps not had any decent quality lodgings for some of it due to being in the middle of nowhere and camping or using a hostel or something. Certainly far more restful than being in the city centre and I'm lying here now with an open window on the motorway side and really wouldn't know it was there if I hadn't been driven part of the way along it in a taxi from the station this afternoon which incidentally cost around £8 so like I say not particularly close for the station or convenient but what I have reasons for being in this particular location tonight

An older location but subject to a refurbishment sometime in about the 2013 to 2015 timescale I would say as doesn't quite feature the latest room design but still absolutely adequate and although no air-conditioning they are providing fans for these warmer nights. Lift currently out of order but this is apparently not the standard situation and the brewers fayre pub next door is excellent with a large garden and room air conditioned interior with friendly staff and well-run.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Not sure if they have been mentioned before but I stayed at a Moxy Hotel for the first time near London City Airport earlier in the week.

It is a sub-prime Marriott derivative probably mid-range in The Express by Holiday Inn Marketplace.

Room was quite spacious with a good shower and 40" Smart TV.

Seems to be aimed at youngsters. Big downside no Tea and Coffee making facilities in the room !!!

Drinks and eats available downstairs. Breakfast was £12.75 so I swerved that.

Believe they are springing up all over the Country.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't normally stay in budget hotels, but as the Premier Inn Dundee Central has views like this, it's hard to resist it...

These pictures were taken from room 330; as you can see both the Tay Bridge and the railway station are in the field of view. For the benefit of track and haulage bashers, it's two minutes walk from the station. Does a decent breakfast as well.

Attachments

• Aug 2021 040.JPG
    Aug 2021 040.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
  • Aug 2021 041.JPG
    Aug 2021 041.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
  • Aug 2021 042.JPG
    Aug 2021 042.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 31

ChrisC

Established Member
Travelodge - London Vauxhall

I don’t often stay in a Travelodge and certainly never would stay in one of their standard rooms for more than one night. I like some shelf space to store my clothes and don’t like having to live out of my case.

I’ve just got back from a 7 night stay in the London Vauxhall Travelodge where I had booked one of their super rooms at a very reasonable price for London. I found the room very comfortable and was certainly as good if not better than many Premier Inns I have stayed in. Unlike many Travelodges the staff here are fantastic and are really friendly and helpful. You only have to read their praises in tripadvisor reports to see that these are not your normal indifferent Travelodge staff. There is a 24hr bar too! I didn’t have breakfast because I’ve never been impressed with Travelodge breakfasts but through the railway arch at the back of the hotel a fantastic breakfast can be had at the Kennington Lane Cafe. There is also a Little Waitrose Convenience Store on the ground floor of the building.

It’s not in the most picturesque location in London and perhaps not the best of areas but so good for transport links for getting about. Bus station straight in front and National Rail Station just behind. Also Victoria Line Tube straight across the road. The rooms on the front overlook the bus station and some of those at the back are almost on the platforms of Vauxhall Station. All double glazed so very quiet and the air conditioning in my room worked very well.
I visited friends on a couple of nights and it was great to come back on the night bus in the early hours right outside the front door.

Attachments

• A6911069-AD0B-4069-B6D4-AF990352A59D.jpeg
    A6911069-AD0B-4069-B6D4-AF990352A59D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Positive to hear certainly but I'm afraid my days of Travelodge are think over 4 good after one too many bad experiences. On a positive however, I've just spent two nights at the Telstar hotel in Exeter on st David's hill. 5 minutes maximum walk from st David's station, this little guesthouse has a selection of standard and ensuite rooms as well as some large enough to accommodate decent size families including those with teenagers. An excellent breakfast all freshly cooked and locally sourced can be had in the morning and the Wi-Fi is pretty good. Clean comfortable friendly covid safe and and also has quite a few green policies according to their website. I paid £45 a night for a single ensuite room during high summer tourist season, I'm not saying this wouldn't go up but I was happy with it