• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

trainophile

Established Member
Just had two nights in Scarborough Travelodge, and I can’t really recommend it. I know you don’t expect much from Travelodges, and the staff were lovely and even found me a sea view room, but although adequate the room wasn’t up to much.

The sink must have been blocked as the water took ages to drain, the hair & body wash dispenser was either empty or broken, the toilet needed a good scrub with bleach.

In the bedroom the lighting was very poor, and the TV was on a wall facing the bed so you couldn’t watch it from the room. The carpet was faded and worn, and the floors creaked with every step.

I paid less than £35 a night so mustn’t grumble too much, but I couldn’t recommend this one to a friend.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

317 forever

Established Member
Has anyone else noticed prices at the major budget to mid priced hotel chains rising rapidly. I’ve been looking at short breaks in various UK cities and finding prices very high in hotels like Premier Inn, Holiday Inn etc. In some cities it is difficult to find anything much below £100 a night for some dates. Hotels that I have stayed in for between £50-£70 a night are now asking £100-£120! I’ve found that independently owned hotels and even quite upmarket country inns are now much more reasonably priced as they tend to charge standard fixed rates and do not increase prices when there is high demand.
In a way yes. About 6 weeks ago I booked a Premier Inn on the outskirts of Edinburgh for the middle of May. I looked at rescheduling my break to the Jubilee weekend, the end of July and even late September and all options proved quite a bit more expensive than keeping my current dates.

Maybe it was cheaper than usual when I booked as, not only is May ahead of the main holiday season, but they needed the cash as not many people are finalising breaks as early as February. (I similarly in 2019 got an August Bank Holiday bargain at a Travelodge Plus in central London that January as they needed he cash at that point).

trainophile

Established Member
There used to (seem to) be a formula for Premier Inns - the early birds got the £29 rooms, usually only a couple of those as I've booked and then had friends book a day or two later and they're onto the next tier, e.g. £32, and so on. The trick was to keep looking out for your dates to become available for booking and jump in, a bit like Advance train tickets!

Similar system with Travelodge, although we have managed to add an extra day onto an existing booking a couple of weeks ahead and got some cracking bargains, £24.99 for one, on New Years Day in 2018, in Bournemouth Seafront at that!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Have anybody had any experience with the newish Travelodge at Sittingbourne (the one a stones throw from the station)?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Apologies for the delayed response to this, I'm checking with a commercial driver friend whose company have an account with TL so they are obliged to use them unless they decide to pay out of their own pocket and that doesn't happen very much. This one apparently is quite noisy.

Established Member
Travelodge Ashford Town Centre

Just had 3 nights here, got a large family room overlooking the station which is just a short walk away. No issues at all and a good value stay at relatively short notice. This hotel has the rare novelty of air conditioning for a Travelodge too. Will definitely stay again.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Travelodge, Bradford Central

Ended up here last night due to Manchester area being silly money (mix of football & some running event). Located very close to Forster Square station (You can make out the platform canopy from the window if you get a room on that side). Tiny bit of outdoor noise from the road below, but nothing too major. Certainly one I would use again if the price is right. No AC though (so I suspect during summer could get hot)

At least that was one I wasn't arriving at 2am unlike at Stockport following the WCML issues on Friday night!

Attachments

• View from Travelodge Window at Bradford.jpg
    View from Travelodge Window at Bradford.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13

Established Member
The Wyndham Arms Hotel, Bridgend.

After a truly shocking journey down to South Wales with Northern and TFW both letting me down badly, I checked into the 'Spoons hotel in Bridgend. At £45 for the night on a Sunday, it's far from the cheapest place I've stayed but it was very nice. And the *hic* refreshments downstairs were very nice too! *burp*

Colonelwood House, Westport (IE)
A fair trek from the station, about 20 minutes minimum, mostly uphill. But at €40 for the night it was very good value for the area. Ireland is extremely expensive for accommodation on the whole. The owner was lovely and very welcoming, though I could have cried when he said he'd have picked me up from the station! Got a huge room, bigger and better than the one I'd booked. Worth staying at though definitely. Just don't be an idiot and think the second train of the day departs at 07:45 like I did, when it departs at 07:15. That had me using obscenities at having an unplanned 2 hour fester before the next train. Admittedly it could have been a LOT worse in fairness!

ChrisC

Established Member
Travelodge, Bradford Central

Ended up here last night due to Manchester area being silly money (mix of football & some running event). Located very close to Forster Square station (You can make out the platform canopy from the window if you get a room on that side). Tiny bit of outdoor noise from the road below, but nothing too major. Certainly one I would use again if the price is right. No AC though (so I suspect during summer could get hot)

At least that was one I wasn't arriving at 2am unlike at Stockport following the WCML issues on Friday night!
I’ve stayed in Bradford a number of times during the last few years as accommodation is often less than half the price than it is in nearby Leeds. I’ve never stayed in the Travelodge but I have found the Premier Inn near Bradford Interchange very good and reasonably priced. The Holiday Inn Express, also near Interchange also regularly has very low prices. My favourite, although more expensive is the Best Western Midland Hotel, next to Forster Square. Wonderful Victorian railway hotel with amazing interior.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I’ve stayed in Bradford a number of times during the last few years as accommodation is often less than half the price than it is in nearby Leeds. I’ve never stayed in the Travelodge but I have found the Premier Inn near Bradford Interchange very good and reasonably priced. The Holiday Inn Express, also near Interchange also regularly has very low prices. My favourite, although more expensive is the Best Western Midland Hotel, next to Forster Square. Wonderful Victorian railway hotel with amazing interior.
Yes, I have stayed in the Premier Inn mentioned above and the Midland Hotel. They are both very good.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Chandos Premier B&B, Folkestone

Stayed here for a couple nights when on a Kent Rover as it was cheap. I had a single room which was functional. Located less than 5 minutes from Folkestone Central station (passing a Co-op, and a couple other places, including a chippy). Friendly owner.

Shared bathroom place (not sure if some rooms had ensuites), although one wasn't really usable as the door couldn't be locked. My room at least had a sink. Bit of outside noise (had to have the window open due to the warmth) but that's expected from a town centre.

The bad, the curtains were useless at keeping out the light. The pillow was like a marshmallow in being soft (basically I could put my head on it and it might as well not been there). The first night I got woken up by people in the room next door who left at 2/3 am, where I noticed a low level noise like a water pump for the central heating system.

The WiFi code was a guarded secret, I've been to places where the password is put on signs dotted around the accommodation or even in the rooms.

Overall I would say it's average, ok if you just want a bed for the night (didn't try the breakfast offering, assuming there was one offered). Just don't try and use the shower as the pressure is very low!

Established Member
The New Birchfield Hotel, Weston-super-Mare

Booked at the last minute, literally the day before. Should have been £90 for a single room for two nights, but I had a £27 voucher from booking.com for some reason. It was pleasant enough, did as it said on the tin. No AC so one to avoid in summer. Seemed to host mostly coach parties being a traditional style seaside family run hotel, so make of that what you will. About a 20-25 minute walk to the station, or a 3 hour stumble back from it via several of the town's drinking establishments.

I'd stay again, but only if the price and circumstances were right. I think £45 a night is a bit steep considering what you get, a fairly small single room. Though the bed was made in the morning after my first night, not something I've had since before 2020!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Premier Inn, Croydon

Located a stones throw away from East Croydon station (use the entrance/exit from the footbridge), with a Co-Op close by. Usual Premier Inn style, although the room I was in had a noisy floorboard in the toilet area. Can't fault the hotel for having noisy kids who in the morning were a bit excited to get breakfast. Only downside is the only way to exit after checking out on the 1st floor is via the lift, the stairs are off-limits due to not having a separate door (plus the receptionist felt like she couldn't wait to get rid of me to continue trying to chat up the security guard)

(Stayed there because it was cheaper than both the Travelodge & Easy Hotel on the Sunday night!)

Certainly one I will be using again, if the price is right (well I am using it for July as a base for a railtour to the North East)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Travelodge Maidenhead central. Opposite the station and next to a pub on one side and a little Sainsbury's on the other. Typical mid 2010s error TL which has clearly is suffered badly through the fantastic high-quality Travelodge lack of maintenance regime. What makes this one stand out is the new manager, in place for just under a month when I stayed and about as far removed from "old Travelodge" as it's possible to be. Quite what possessed him to come down from 4 and 5 star hotels and resorts to this place as he said he had done beats me but what if they can get a few more like him then the company will prosper. He coped with a very difficult evening with various faults and problems extremely well and I have taken the unusual step of emailing head office about how impressed I was with him as an individual and the way he ran his hotel.

Butts

Veteran Member
Travelodge Maidenhead central. Opposite the station and next to a pub on one side and a little Sainsbury's on the other. Typical mid 2010s error TL which has clearly is suffered badly through the fantastic high-quality Travelodge lack of maintenance regime. What makes this one stand out is the new manager, in place for just under a month when I stayed and about as far removed from "old Travelodge" as it's possible to be. Quite what possessed him to come down from 4 and 5 star hotels and resorts to this place as he said he had done beats me but what if they can get a few more like him then the company will prosper. He coped with a very difficult evening with various faults and problems extremely well and I have taken the unusual step of emailing head office about how impressed I was with him as an individual and the way he ran his hotel.

Just as well Travelodge have not got the same Money Back Guarantee as Premier Inn or they would probably be Bankrupt within a week.

To be fair 35 Years ago Forte Travelodge was a Market Leader.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just as well Travelodge have not got the same Money Back Guarantee as Premier Inn or they would probably be Bankrupt within a week.

To be fair 35 Years ago Forte Travelodge was a Market Leader.

I'd love them if they could just do their service proposition properly. I'm happy with basic, I'm not happy with dirty and things falling off, as seems to be my general experience of TL. Though PI aren't absolute angels, I have stayed in a couple recently with filthy (outside) windows.

I think there is a lot TL could learn from Ibis Budget.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'd love them if they could just do their service proposition properly. I'm happy with basic, I'm not happy with dirty and things falling off, as seems to be my general experience of TL. Though PI aren't absolute angels, I have stayed in a couple recently with filthy (outside) windows.

I think there is a lot TL could learn from Ibis Budget.

Other than being able to refund quickly when you cancel a flexible rate booking. Ibis Budget takes a while before the money gets returned, even once I had to do a chargeback via my card provider as they basically ignored several chasing emails.

As for Premier Inn, I believe the money back Guarantee has been tighten up in terms of what they will pay out for

Butts

Veteran Member
Other than being able to refund quickly when you cancel a flexible rate booking. Ibis Budget takes a while before the money gets returned, even once I had to do a chargeback via my card provider as they basically ignored several chasing emails.

As for Premier Inn, I believe the money back Guarantee has been tighten up in terms of what they will pay out for

20 odd years ago I can remember successfully claiming for them being unable to provide proper sized Bath Towels on request.

It was open to abuse ?

Kite159

Veteran Member
An advantage of PI is that if booking fully flexible you can choose to pay beforehand or on arrival.

Although I find if you select the fully flex rate on Premier Inn it carries a large premium over the "Advance 28 Day" rate. Which itself can carry a ~ £10 premium over the fixed "no refunds, but change your dates for free" rate.

At least Travelodge so far (touching wood) hasn't hiked the premium between fixed & flexible rates for some hotels.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
There is a noticeable hike in some TL properties in the Edinburgh area, discovered by a friend when searching for a place to stay after a forthcoming concert. I too have had payment issues with ibis budget, double charges to my PayPal account on two occasions and and a further occasion in a full-service ibis where my my deposit paid on my MasterCard on check-in was not refunded for nearly 2 months. I shall not use again as quite frankly I don't rate the Ibis budget offering at all in comparison to the lakes of easyHotel which whilst not fault 3 do at least make the effort to provide some customer service and are prepared to put their hands up and admit when they've cooked something up or it's gone wrong

ChrisC

Established Member
I’ve used Holiday Inn Express a few times recently. Certainly better than a Travelodge if you can get a good price. I stayed in the new one just across the river from Exeter St. Thomas Station a few months ago and it was really good. Really bright comfortable room and Inclusive breakfast, although a bit limited, was also good. It was certainly better than the gloomy tired room at the Premier Inn opposite Exeter St. Davids that I once stayed in.

Last edited:

317 forever

Established Member
Premier Inn, Croydon

Located a stones throw away from East Croydon station (use the entrance/exit from the footbridge), with a Co-Op close by. Usual Premier Inn style, although the room I was in had a noisy floorboard in the toilet area. Can't fault the hotel for having noisy kids who in the morning were a bit excited to get breakfast. Only downside is the only way to exit after checking out on the 1st floor is via the lift, the stairs are off-limits due to not having a separate door (plus the receptionist felt like she couldn't wait to get rid of me to continue trying to chat up the security guard)

(Stayed there because it was cheaper than both the Travelodge & Easy Hotel on the Sunday night!)

Certainly one I will be using again, if the price is right (well I am using it for July as a base for a railtour to the North East)
I was due to stay there in November 2020 but then we had the circuit breaker lockdown. That hotel then closed and they did refund my payment. I settled for an inner London daytrip instead and have still not made it back to Croydon. I nearly did last August but then there were no trams that Sunday.

trainophile

Established Member
I’ve used Holiday Inn Express a few times recently. Certainly better than a Travelodge if you can get a good price. I stayed in the new one just across the river from Exeter St. Thomas Station a few months ago and it was really good. Really bright comfortable room and Inclusive breakfast, although a bit limited, was also good. It was certainly better than the gloomy tired room at the Premier Inn opposite Exeter St. Davids that I once stayed in.
Oh dear, we’ve booked three nights in the Exeter St David’s Premier Inn for next month. One attraction being that it’s only a five minute walk, or to be more precise hill climb, to a rather nice looking Wetherspoons, and of course very handy for the station.

Sorry to hear that the PI is a bit rubbish ☹️. We’ve booked non-refundable.

ChrisC

Established Member
Oh dear, we’ve booked three nights in the Exeter St David’s Premier Inn for next month. One attraction being that it’s only a five minute walk, or to be more precise hill climb, to a rather nice looking Wetherspoons, and of course very handy for the station.

Sorry to hear that the PI is a bit rubbish ☹️. We’ve booked non-refundable.
Don’t worry. The Exeter St Davids Premier Inn is not that bad. It’s just one of the older unrefurbished hotels but perfectly ok. Very handy for the station. I stayed there for a week a few years ago and was able to leave the hotel literally a few minutes before my trains were due to depart. The Wetherspoons up the hill is a huge pub, I’ve never been in such a large Wetherspoons. Last October I travelled down to Penzance and broke my journey in Exeter on the way back staying 3 nights in the Holiday Inn Express which is a very new, modern and bright. Not so handy for trains but very good for eating out the around Quays area.

bspahh

Established Member
Don’t worry. The Exeter St Davids Premier Inn is not that bad. It’s just one of the older unrefurbished hotels but perfectly ok. Very handy for the station. I stayed there for a week a few years ago and was able to leave the hotel literally a few minutes before my trains were due to depart. The Wetherspoons up the hill is a huge pub, I’ve never been in such a large Wetherspoons. Last October I travelled down to Penzance and broke my journey in Exeter on the way back staying 3 nights in the Holiday Inn Express which is a very new, modern and bright. Not so handy for trains but very good for eating out the around Quays area.
My wife prefers to have a room with an opening window, than air-conditioning, so she liked the Exeter St David's Premier Inn a lot, as the location is very convenient too. It took 15 minutes to check in though, as there was a queue of 5 groups, the automated check-in system wasn't working, and there was only one person on reception

trainophile

Established Member
My wife prefers to have a room with an opening window, than air-conditioning, so she liked the Exeter St David's Premier Inn a lot, as the location is very convenient too. It took 15 minutes to check in though, as there was a queue of 5 groups, the automated check-in system wasn't working, and there was only one person on reception
Oh that's good, we prefer an opening window too. I've found check-in queues are often the case these days with the chain hotels. Changing PI to 3:00pm instead of 2:00 hasn't helped.