• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Did the Newcastle easy hotel used to be run by one of the other budget hotel providers? It is unusual to have either opening Windows or fully tiled bathrooms and certainly for there to be a plastic chair in the room. Sounds more like ibis budget fit out then standard spec

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Belated response, but I didn't notice any noise, and being on the inner courtyard rooms there was no traffic noise either.

It reminded me of the Premier Inn Hub hotel in Kings Cross, except the rooms were a bit bigger, and there was bed access from both sides, albeit a squeeze on the wall/window side. The same perspex type of bathroom door, and minimal clothes hanging arrangements.

Established Member
Ty Selah, Neath

Spent last night here and it was absolutely fantastic. Booked it the night before, £33 for the night in an "economy single room"

However it was a lovely room, with a double bed, though the bathroom was next door it seemed to be reserved for the use of the guest in that room.

The owners were lovely, very friendly and chatty, and explained that they have a suite upstairs (which is obviously more expensive) and their intention is to keep the room I was in at that price, as a lot of the custom in it are TATA steel workers. It's rated 9.7 on Booking.com which I'm inclined to think is a bit harsh. A light breakfast was included in the price too. One of the best places I've stayed, would reccomend to anyone and will be back for sure. Not a bad find given I only booked as my place in Cardiff tonight had sold out last night. It's about an 8 minute walk to the station, with the last train back from Cardiff being just before 1AM.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Premier Inn Manchester Altrincham. About 10 minutes away from the interchange and attached to the George and dragon public house a building which is over 300 years old and some of the hotel rooms are located within this. It's definitely got character compared to other Premier inns but perhaps a little warning to those expecting the standard higher specification Premier Inn experience, you won't get it here. But if that doesn't bother you then this is a good safe option with the usual purple standard of service and cleanliness, decent food in the pub and on-site parking for those who may find this useful

I wouldn't recommend staying during a heatwave but that would be the same anywhere

Efforts were made to minimise this and despite the well publicised water shortages at the time, there was no explicit instruction given to not have lengthy cold showers

Would stay again

Gathursty

Established Member
Merton House, Worthing

10 minute walk from Worthing station, on the A24 and 30 minutes from the sea front. Cooked breakfast included and room and bathroom clean. Host is knowledgeable and a good cook!

Premier Inn, Tolworth

5 minute walk from Tolworth station and just off the A3 so extremely convenient for onward travel. Didn't try the food but restaurant is on ground floor. Local takeaways are good. Has air conditioning.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Premier Inn Manchester Altrincham. About 10 minutes away from the interchange and attached to the George and dragon public house a building which is over 300 years old and some of the hotel rooms are located within this. It's definitely got character compared to other Premier inns but perhaps a little warning to those expecting the standard higher specification Premier Inn experience, you won't get it here. But if that doesn't bother you then this is a good safe option with the usual purple standard of service and cleanliness, decent food in the pub and on-site parking for those who may find this useful

I wouldn't recommend staying during a heatwave but that would be the same anywhere

Efforts were made to minimise this and despite the well publicised water shortages at the time, there was no explicit instruction given to not have lengthy cold showers

Would stay again
And comes with proper keys. Certainly one I will stay at again if the price was right. Although I guess there is a risk of getting a room which overlooks the main road

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Bridge Guest House, Ipswich

Located a stone's throw from the station (you can see it from the platforms), however this did come with some drawbacks in terms of noise from door release buzzers. Although I suspect if you can have the window closed the noise will be reduced (and depends what room you get given).

Friendly staff although the rooms are a bit on the older side (ancient CRT TV with a Freeview box on top), shutters rather than curtains, ensuite was a bit on the smaller side. Not doing breakfast due to the C word (although the breakfast room was tiny)

I would use it again if I need to stay overnight in Ipswich and it's a good price.

TechDan2002

UK HOTELS I’VE STAYED AT THIS YEAR PART 2:

Hotel Five: The Royal Hop Pole (JD Wetherspoon) Tewkesbury - one night 14th-15th June - £47.50
My first Wetherspoons hotel stay booked at short notice after my previous booking in Minehead was cancelled due to a ‘maintenance issue’. I booked an ‘economy single’ for £47.50 yet was given a double! Building was an incredibly architecturally interesting combination of three separate buildings with some aspects dating back to the Tudor Period. After check in I climbed the stairs to be greeted by a maze of a hallway with period narrow sections and uneven floors, my room was number 118 just past a wide open Tudor hall with uncovered artwork. My room was cozy but clean, had plenty of USB and plug sockets and overlooked the pubs expansive beer garden which backed onto the canal. Evening meal and breakfast from the pub were reasonably priced and very good for Wetherspoon food and the room had a generous tea and coffee tray. Overall a very impressive hotel for the money!
E592BFD1-BDE4-4317-A300-11D88A859DF2.jpegACECAB63-DEF7-4795-90DE-EE846F58EC81.jpegDBDB824A-1EDA-4935-A731-8631133154F4.jpeg

Hotel Six: ZIP by Premier Inn, Cardiff - one night 27th-28th June - £27!
An EasyHotel-esque hotel and the only Premier Inn format of its type at present, booked 6 days in advance for the bargain price of £27. Located about a 15 minute bus ride away from Cardiff City Centre on an industrial estate behind a leisure centre. My room was on the ground floor and like most in this hotel, had no window but a diffused RGB light box instead. I was given a ‘double’ room as an upgrade so both single beds were made up with the option of pushing them together, if you book as a solo traveler only one bed will usually be made with the other left as a sofa. The room was very clean and futuristic, inspired by the various pod/capsule hotels found overseas with a separate shower cubicle and cozy toilet and wash basin cubicle and small open clothes hanging area, but fulfilled it’s marketed purpose as a barebones room to ‘ZIP’ in. I’d definitely stay here again if in Cardiff!
9CBB8047-27CE-4C7A-9FA0-44937F043D89.jpeg

Hotel Seven: The Kings Head (JD Wetherspoon) Monmouth - one night 28th-29th June - £51.
Booked a single room here for £51 which was a cozy interesting little room with historic uncovered art on the walls behind locked glass doors. Unfortunately I was unable to sleep in this room due to a loud electrical buzzing noise from the fusebox on the wall opposite the bed so was moved to a much larger but less interesting double room across the corridor upon request. Bed was comfortable and rooms clean but shower weak. Evening meal was that day’s manager special of cod, chips and mushy peas for £4.99 in the spacious pub!
68E287E9-EB94-4F75-9718-68215743A44A.jpegC7287ECA-1530-4B69-8D0C-D49EE109C2F7.jpeg0A5B49EC-B053-4401-BD9F-AF194F358B11.jpeg

Hotel Eight: The Duke of Wellington (JD Wetherspoon) Minehead - one night 10th-11th July - £45 (reduced to £36 due to previous inconvenience)
Easily the worst of the three Wetherspoon hotels I’ve stayed at so far. Room was dated and had old wood chip wallpaper and peeling paint on the bathroom ceiling. Bed was comfortable though and I got a good nights sleep and shower was powerful.
4E8F5F0A-F799-4D57-9378-BA7461A83881.jpegB710B299-4EF8-4A53-9B04-4D9251447B6A.jpegBC153C14-7356-4BD7-88E3-8B51B76584CD.jpeg

Overall I’ve been very impressed with my Wetherspoon hotel stays so far, much more interesting than the generally predictable Premier Inn or Travelodge And have found all three to be clean at least with good facilities. This weekend I will be ticking The Kings Head Inn, Salisbury off my list!

richw

Veteran Member
In recent weeks I’ve stayed at a collection of premier inns.

First up was Sheffield city centre. Within short walking distance of the rail and bus stations. Immediately next to a tram stop. £110 for two nights. Good soundproofing. Everything as expected nothing above and beyond the normal premier inn.

London Canning Town. Brand new premier inn almost next door to Canning Town station entrance. Poorly soundproofed, windows were filthy on the outside. Everything else as expected.

Carnon Downs Truro. A few miles outside of Truro, on the u1/u1a bus route from Truro to Falmouth. Nothing bad, nothing extraordinary. Your stereotypical premier inn.

richw

Veteran Member
Last night I stayed at Crowne Plaza Reading. About a 7-8 min walk from the north exit.
I appreciate this was a higher budget hotel- I paid £158 for an executive balcony room, with a balcony overlooking the Thames, but the extras to me made it worthwhile. Free access to gym and pool. The pool was excellent, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room as well as I think approx 20m pool.
My room was very comfortable and a definite couple of levels up from anything I’ve had from premier inn.
Breakfast excellent, again quality and selection a few steps up from premier inn with much better choice.

trainophile

Established Member
Bean meaning to report on last month's one night in EasyHotel Reading. After being impressed by the Newcastle one, we booked Reading as it was by far the cheapest option at fairly short notice, and we thought we can put up with anything for one night. £55 for a double with window. However we might as well not have bothered paying the extra £3 as the window was obscured glass, being a ground floor room beside the road, and didn't open for any ventilation. Apparently (according to reviews) the heating is centrally controlled, so you have to put up with whatever the system is set at.

Basically it was pretty grim. The good points were the decent shower and (compact) ensuite facilities, although there was a very strange shelf arrangement over the sink which made it impossible to wash face or clean teeth without flooding the floor. In the room there was no chair, shelf or anywhere to put anything down other than the floor. I'd brought a kettle and mugs, luckily as the drinks machines in reception were £2 a pop (yes, soft drinks as well!). Had to use the kettle on the floor (there were sockets in the bedhead, which was a plus point), and make our drinks precariously on the 4" wide window ledge. Two fixed "hangers", one each, if it had been coat wearing weather it would have been totally inadequate.

Bed was comfortable enough but only one extremely thin pillow each. OH ended up tucking his rucksack under his pillow, and I folded mine in half, otherwise we might as well have been sleeping without one at all. The TV didn't work. Had a message flag up saying 'Remote batteries low', and got them changed at reception, but whether we were doing something wrong or whatever we still couldn't switch it on.

It was about 10 minutes walk from Reading station, and the same to get back into town for food. Location was pretty convenient but I wouldn't book there again unless it was an absolute last resort.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I dislike those centrally controlled heating systems, as not everybody wants the same room temperature. I've passed that Easyhotel but have never had the occasion to stay in it (closest was the Premier Inn a bit further on nearer the river for an early morning start for the Combe Flyer)

richw

Veteran Member
I walked passed Easyhotel Reading on my way to my hotel. It looked very grim externally, and not very inviting.
@trainophile ive just booked Novotel Reading which is in the high street from the front exit for my next trip to that area at only £69 a night for a family room 2 adults 2 children. Vastly superior to Easyhotel if you want somewhere for future consideration

Butts

Veteran Member
Bean meaning to report on last month's one night in EasyHotel Reading. After being impressed by the Newcastle one, we booked Reading as it was by far the cheapest option at fairly short notice, and we thought we can put up with anything for one night. £55 for a double with window. However we might as well not have bothered paying the extra £3 as the window was obscured glass, being a ground floor room beside the road, and didn't open for any ventilation. Apparently (according to reviews) the heating is centrally controlled, so you have to put up with whatever the system is set at.

Basically it was pretty grim. The good points were the decent shower and (compact) ensuite facilities, although there was a very strange shelf arrangement over the sink which made it impossible to wash face or clean teeth without flooding the floor. In the room there was no chair, shelf or anywhere to put anything down other than the floor. I'd brought a kettle and mugs, luckily as the drinks machines in reception were £2 a pop (yes, soft drinks as well!). Had to use the kettle on the floor (there were sockets in the bedhead, which was a plus point), and make our drinks precariously on the 4" wide window ledge. Two fixed "hangers", one each, if it had been coat wearing weather it would have been totally inadequate.

Bed was comfortable enough but only one extremely thin pillow each. OH ended up tucking his rucksack under his pillow, and I folded mine in half, otherwise we might as well have been sleeping without one at all. The TV didn't work. Had a message flag up saying 'Remote batteries low', and got them changed at reception, but whether we were doing something wrong or whatever we still couldn't switch it on.

It was about 10 minutes walk from Reading station, and the same to get back into town for food. Location was pretty convenient but I wouldn't book there again unless it was an absolute last resort.

If that had been a Premier Inn with the problems above you would have got a free stay unless their satisfaction guarantee has been completely neutered.

Did you complain to the Manager ?

trainophile

Established Member
If that had been a Premier Inn with the problems above you would have got a free stay unless their satisfaction guarantee has been completely neutered.

Did you complain to the Manager ?

Never saw a manager, and the young lady on the reception desk was very pleasant so I didn't want to make a fuss. Being only one night we just marked it off as one not to be repeated.

I'm pretty sure Premier Inn's "A great night's sleep or your money back" guarantee ended some time ago. I always thought it was a bit too generous, considering the things outside their control that might prevent you getting a good night's sleep, like rowdiness outside in the street, or cars revving their engines at 03:00.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Never saw a manager, and the young lady on the reception desk was very pleasant so I didn't want to make a fuss. Being only one night we just marked it off as one not to be repeated.

I'm pretty sure Premier Inn's "A great night's sleep or your money back" guarantee ended some time ago. I always thought it was a bit too generous, considering the things outside their control that might prevent you getting a good night's sleep, like rowdiness outside in the street, or cars revving their engines at 03:00.
They still have the guarantee but the list of things which it can be claimed for has gotten a lot shorter.

So now if you get woken up at 3am when some idiotic drunks crash into the corridor and think it's funny to pull the fire alarm you don't get anything back

bspahh

Established Member
They still have the guarantee but the list of things which it can be claimed for has gotten a lot shorter.

So now if you get woken up at 3am when some idiotic drunks crash into the corridor and think it's funny to pull the fire alarm you don't get anything back
The WWW site doesn't have much detail on what is and isn't covered https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/sleep/good-night-guarantee.html

A good night's sleep guaranteed​

At Premier Inn we’ve thought of everything you need to have a great night’s sleep. From our super-comfy Hypnos mattress, to a choice of firm or soft pillows, we’re always on the lookout for ways to make bedtime better.

In fact, we're so confident you'll have a great night's sleep that, if you don't, we'll give you your money back*. Just speak to one of our friendly reception team. This is our Good Night Guarantee.

Frequently asked questions​

What is the Good Night Guarantee?​

At Premier Inn, we're so confident you'll have a great night's sleep that if you don't, we'll give you your money back. If there’s a problem, just have a chat with a member of our friendly reception team. They’ll be happy to put things right. This is our Good Night Guarantee. Terms apply.

What do I do if I'm unhappy during my stay?​

The first thing to do is speak to one of our team, who’ll be happy to put things right for you. Our friendly reception teams are on hand 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Is there a time limit on when I can have my money back under the Good Night Guarantee?​

Most guests let us know if there’s been a problem while they’re still staying with us. However – if you don’t get the chance to do that, you have up to seven days from check-out to claim on our Good Night Guarantee.

Butts

Veteran Member

richw

Veteran Member
I once had a refund due to the fact at the time they didn't provide bath sheet sized towels even on request.
I always thought it was just for a bad nights sleep, which the towel wouldn’t have affected?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I've had a good night guarantee refund after a stag party crashed their way in at 2 a.m. and made a lot of noise which they didn't toned down. I was unable to reach reception by calling on my mobile phone and and and the manager when spoken to the following morning had a quick look at his CCTV to see if the night duty staff members had been doing the security patrol's etc. When discovered they were standing outside the building smoking and talking to either their friends or some other guests the manager instantly refunded anyone who asked for it and no doubt tore a strip or several of his night team

Kite159

Veteran Member
Travelodge, Derby Cricket Ground

Located around 1.3 miles from the station (took me around 25 minutes to walk there, only one road crossing). Room I had featured AC (plus a window which could be opened) which was powerful. Tiny bit of road noise but I suspect the level will depend which side of the hotel.

Certainly one I will stay at again if I ever need to stay in Derby overnight.

trainophile

Established Member
Revado Hotel Norwich. Excellent small hotel with a restaurant on site that is open to all comers not just residents. The hotel is owned/run by some very charming Indian gentlemen, and one of the booking.com reviews mentioned the restaurant being vegetarian, but I'm not sure about that as I didn't use it. It's a few minutes walk from Norwich station, in the opposite direction to the city centre, and one of the nicest places I've stayed in recently. Reason I mention it here is that it would make a good venue for a forum meal (given the vegetarian thing which might not appeal to everyone), as Norwich is a great place for a visit, handy for Londoners but accessible from most places.

My single en-suite room (which actually had a double bed) was something like £55 a night, including booking.com Genius discount, which is competitive for the area and was cheaper than any of the nearby Travelodges.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Premier Inn, Southampton Airport
Stayed here due to having an early morning flight from the airport, but also handy for the station (less than 5 minutes from both). Dinner was good in the restaurant (no real other options around the area without walking to Eastleigh), where the building looks old [gives the impression it wasn't originally a Premier Inn but another hotel chain], the rooms are the usual Premier Inn self, featuring AC and double windows to assist with noise reduction. I would say handy for any Eastleigh starts of railtours, but those things don't happen anymore :(

Although from what it looked like the car park is quite expensive to stay.

And just in case anybody pops to Jersey for a long weekend:

Best Western, The Royal, St Helier (Jersey)
Located around .8 miles from the main bus station (route 4 serves the hotel on the way out of the town, but goes a different route on the way back, ignore what Google Maps says). Comfy room, but let down by the shower being weak and a bit of outdoor noise (from my room) of a AC compressor for a function area. I stayed half-board (part of a package holiday which mum picked out) and evening meals were rather fantastic (both setting & food quality) [although at £29 for 3 courses would be on the pricey side if you had to pay!]. For non-diners, there was a pub attached to the hotel, plus plenty other options close by. Certainly a good base for my little holiday

richw

Veteran Member
Ibis budget Portsmouth Fratton park

Definitely one to avoid. Just arrived and leaving at 615 so I’ll tolerate it.

Room stinks of cigarette smoke.
Rock Hard mattress.
Makes EasyHotel look up market, nothing like the photos on the website.

I only paid £42 is its saving grace. Although the board outside advertises the walk in rate of £79.

No hot water for a shower this morning neither.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Abbey lodge hotel high Wycombe. Clean, basic but friendly bed and breakfast hotel about 10 minutes walk from the station and bus station, some rooms you can hear ear and probably see the trains although was quiet for most of my visit due to the strike. Staff friendly, breakfast included in room rate, I had sole occupancy of a double room ensuite, all rooms are ensuite by the way for £106 for two nights which on a strike weekend when everything was costing a fortune was a pretty good bargain I would say. Basic room service during the day went out. Very thin walls but really you can't go wrong if you just want somewhere to sleep and shower and relax. No trouble getting takeaway or grocery supplies delivered by the likes of just eat and deliveroo at cetera. Not good for disabled access if you require step 3 or whatever but otherwise one I would definitely use again

richw

Veteran Member
Royal Esplanade Ryde,

My room was clearly recently refurbished, beautifully decorated.
Very Comfortable bed. Lovely shower. Couldn’t have been further away from the place I stayed in Portsmouth the night before.
Breakfast was high quality ingredients but masterchef like- not much of it arranged visually well on the plate.
Directly opposite Ryde hoverport

railfan99

Established Member
Aston Court Hotel at Derby, opposite railway station: very good room, though no airconditioning.

Midland Hotel with its rail history at Bradford near Forster Square station: terrific.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
There has been some discussion of this elsewhere but am I the first on here to stay in the the recently rechristened Britannia Inn Glasgow, formerly the Glasgow Charing cross Premier Inn? Stayed last night to attend Pete tong Ibiza classics at the hydro and was generally impressed. I didn't need the expensive Wi-Fi as my own data would almost certainly have been faster but I did eat breakfast which despite being a little expensive was very tasty and plenty of it. Room was clean and had everything in it that was needed and and bathroom likewise. The soap and shower gel were actually better quality than the Premier Inn predecessors