• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Address on Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bineli21

What would stop me from saying that I've recently moved to a friend's or family member's address, in order to be within the 1-hour distance of the depot that companies require for Driver roles?

There are zero depots within an hour of my actual address, so this seems to be the only way that I would stand a chance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
You may have to provide evidence, a bill with your name on etc
You will almost certainly be asked for proof of address. If you provide a false address, and you get found out, your application will 100% be binned off and you might even lose your job if they find out after you've been employed.

YingYing

As above; for interviews and also sometimes at the psychometric assessment stage, you'll be asked for proof of address, usually a utility bill.

daddy_badger

Some TOCs allow for relocation, but the rail recruitment is a funny old world. If there were 2 candidates with equal scores and 1 lives locally, it seems that the candidate living closer would have the advantage.

Besides that hypothetical statement, lying would make you untrustworthy if you were employed.

Efini92

Established Member
There’s not many things you will get dismissed for on the railway but lying is one of them.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I believe a small number of TOCs do allow people to apply for certain vacancies who live in other parts of the Country.

It depends on the role. Trainee drivers and conductors are generally subject to the one hour commuting rule for health & safety reasons.

I suspect this is also a clever way for HR's to reduce the volume of applicants who apply for these types of roles (it's usually in the 1000's).

However, you could still apply for a non safety critical role with the same TOC and they have no stipulation on where you live.

CJ

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
What would stop me from saying that I've recently moved to a friend's or family member's address, in order to be within the 1-hour distance of the depot that companies require for Driver roles?

There are zero depots within an hour of my actual address, so this seems to be the only way that I would stand a chance.

Proof that you live there. Almost all applications later on in the stage require proof of identity & address and its taken quite seriously.

I would strongly suggest you do not essentially lie on your application. There are seriously zero depots within one hour?

NorthernTech

If you were actually going to move in with the relative perhaps that may be different, but I’m not sure how you prove you are living there legitimately if say lodging as you wouldn’t be paying bills (not in your name anyway). Perhaps changing address on driving license and passport if you did move in there would show you were legit?? Otherwise, not sure..but if it were just to get a foot in the door then I suppose the answers provided by the other posters so far would be correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.