• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adrock's trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Nice read that Adrock. Sounds like a good couple of days in what is a beautiful part of Scotland. Glad your getting out n about too, sounds like you had a real scare there. Hope your feeling much better now. Don't you just love it when your hopes come to fruition though. Getting 2 of the 3 required jock rail 158s isnt bad at all and no doubt most welcome. Now you have the arduous task of checking every 158 to see if its 716. Good Luck with that. I need a few of IS's 158s for sight nevermind haulage. The reminiscing of Georgemass Junction, Imagine how much fun that trip wouldve been with locos like the 26s, 27s and 37s galore of years gone by. Those of us old enough to remember loco hauled travel, how much for granted did we take those days.

A flask alive since 1989, wow. My Dad probsbly wishes he'd asked you to take the flasks on my trips. That flasks been a great and loyal servant to you. I think mine were Kamikaze flasks, I must've broke half a dozen during one year, probably 2 of them during the summer timetable of 85. Racing round platforms, trying to make silly connections, the inevitable canvas havasack would slip from my shoulder as I was running between platforms. I'd just hear a bang behind me, Id check it when we sat down, Oh no crunchy coffee again and sn ear bashing when I got home.

Sorry I went off on a bit of a tangent with the flask thing.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
An attempt (failed) at scoring Barry Links 5 August

Out of the stations between Dundee and Arbroath, I only require Barry Links having previously done Balmossie and Golf Street (Broughty Ferry, Monifieth, and Carnoustie have now a much better service of broadly every 60 minutes compared with a few years ago). Again, instead of the Saver Return, by splitting at the fair city, the Cheap Day Returns show on the system. Having booked online (the machines at Croy are sadly not programmed to start from other stations), it was out of the door for the walk to the station arriving 20 minutes or so later. I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold:

385029 16:04 Croy – Stirling

170403 16:39 (4 minutes delayed departing) Stirling – Dundee. This was terminated here arriving 6 minutes late at 17:53 instead of Arbroath as the train had developed a fault. I had intended to do a linear hop at Barry Links by getting the ex Edinburgh – Arbroath around 30 minutes later.

I decided to continue to Arbroath by doing a linear hop via Carnoustie as that was my only realistic chance of getting something out of the trip and therefore not having felt like I had a wasteful journey. Moves continued below:

43141+181 18:12 Dundee – Carnoustie (arrived Carnoustie 5 minutes early at 18:23)

158740+732 18:53 Carnoustie – Arbroath

800108 19:16 Arbroath – Dundee

43032+163 19:50 Dundee – Stirling

385118 20:54 Stirling – Croy

As can be seen, although I had failed to get Barry Links, I got an East Coast bimode for haulage out of the trip. I will plan another attempt at some point in getting Barry Links.

Another attempt at Barry Links 12 August

Similar to last week, I would have another attempt at Barry Links, with the moves listed below with requirements highlighted in bold:

385014 16:04 Croy – Stirling

17040616:39 Stirling – Barry Links

158730+735 18:48 Barry Links – Arbroath

800105 19:16 Arbroath – Dundee

43130+168 19:50 Dundee – Stirling (Coach 42184 behind 43130)

385112 20:54 Stirling – Croy

As well as managing to score Barry Links, I have got another bimode LNER, my penultimate powercar (I require 43033), and my final 4 coach 385 out of today’s trip.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
An attempt (failed) at scoring Barry Links 5 August

Out of the stations between Dundee and Arbroath, I only require Barry Links having previously done Balmossie and Golf Street (Broughty Ferry, Monifieth, and Carnoustie have now a much better service of broadly every 60 minutes compared with a few years ago). Again, instead of the Saver Return, by splitting at the fair city, the Cheap Day Returns show on the system. Having booked online (the machines at Croy are sadly not programmed to start from other stations), it was out of the door for the walk to the station arriving 20 minutes or so later. I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold:

385029 16:04 Croy – Stirling

170403 16:39 (4 minutes delayed departing) Stirling – Dundee. This was terminated here arriving 6 minutes late at 17:53 instead of Arbroath as the train had developed a fault. I had intended to do a linear hop at Barry Links by getting the ex Edinburgh – Arbroath around 30 minutes later.

I decided to continue to Arbroath by doing a linear hop via Carnoustie as that was my only realistic chance of getting something out of the trip and therefore not having felt like I had a wasteful journey. Moves continued below:

43141+181 18:12 Dundee – Carnoustie (arrived Carnoustie 5 minutes early at 18:23)

158740+732 18:53 Carnoustie – Arbroath

800108 19:16 Arbroath – Dundee

43032+163 19:50 Dundee – Stirling

385118 20:54 Stirling – Croy

As can be seen, although I had failed to get Barry Links, I got an East Coast bimode for haulage out of the trip. I will plan another attempt at some point in getting Barry Links.

Another attempt at Barry Links 12 August

Similar to last week, I would have another attempt at Barry Links, with the moves listed below with requirements highlighted in bold:

385014 16:04 Croy – Stirling

17040616:39 Stirling – Barry Links

158730+735 18:48 Barry Links – Arbroath

800105 19:16 Arbroath – Dundee

43130+168 19:50 Dundee – Stirling (Coach 42184 behind 43130)

385112 20:54 Stirling – Croy

As well as managing to score Barry Links, I have got another bimode LNER, my penultimate powercar (I require 43033), and my final 4 coach 385 out of today’s trip.
Good to see you got a few bits and pieces despite having to retrace steps.

I managed to get Barry Links, Golf Street etc on a recent overnight trip to Dundee (as part of an All Line Rover), realised it was possible so decided to do them rather than having them left over in later years!

adrock1976

Established Member
East Midlands, St Philips Marsh diversion, West Midlands bits and pieces, and Heart of Wales 31 August – 3 September

Preamble

While doing my recent warm up in Highland Region, I thought about fitting in a trip to see my mum (we have both had the pair of doses of the vaccine) during the week of the St Philips Marsh depot diversions, and being as I require three of the Wales 153s and two of the East Midlands 153s, I would attempt to see if I could clear those as well. I had also decided to have a go at ticking off some of the stations between Craven Arms and Builth Road, being as I do not have the Royal Welsh Show extra train to help me as when I have had a go at the section between Llanelli and Llandovery in previous years. Having managed to book the overnight sleeper from Falkirk Grahamston to Crewe with relative ease, and the Standard Advance Crewe – Croy, the remaining tickets required I could simply purchase those as I go along as they are flexible, and would save the hassle of return and refund should if I abandon any part of the various trips being as there is still a slightly reduced service on some lines. Furthermore, while Iwould be at Crewe first thing in the morning, this meant that I could score the visit of Wem (as the timings work out better than doing those before the 20:09 ex Euston – Glasgow Central which is the last direct train on Sundays to Fridays) as that is my remaining station unvisited between Crewe and Shrewsbury.

East Midlands Day Ranger 31 August

Having set out the previous night just after 23:15 for the short taxi ride to Cumbernauld station along South Carbrain Road (I also have the option of the 23:56 ex Glasgow Queen Street – Edinburgh via Falkirk High, arriving Falkirk High 00:04 and only giving me 20 minutes to make my way to Grahamston, which is less than the minimum interchange time between the stations on foot, plus I do not want to run given my cardiac health) arriving around 23:25 just before 221102+116 passed through heading in the Carlisle/Glasgow direction. A few moments laterit was onboard dud pair 385034+039 on the 23:34 ex Glasgow Queen Street – Falkirk Grahamston for the run to Grahamston. After a 30 minute or so fester it was on the 8 minutes delayed 00:27 ex Inverness – London Euston sleeper with this portion being hauled by required 66789 +dud 73968 as far as Edinburgh Waverley. I was in coach 15003. The train was using Platforms 11and 7at Edinburgh Waverley with the electric loco that would be haulingboth the Inverness and Fort William coupled portions (the Aberdeen portion has been suspended) to London having been spotted was dud 92010 (I always seem to land this 92 on the Highlander). I did manage to get a couple of naps after the train left Edinburgh 12 minutes behind schedule at 01:53, with arrival into Platform 6 at Crewe being 5 minutes behind schedule at 05:27.

After nipping outside for some fresh air to try to help me wake up slightly and to purchase the Wem, Stone, and Wedgwood tickets, it was back to Platform 8 toboard the 05:58 Carmarthen formed of required 175113 for the run to Wem, having spotted 220005 on the Manchester Piccadilly – Bournemouth and 350255+379 on the London Euston via ex Trent Valley Railway. I returned back to Crewe on the 06:58 ex Cardiff Central – Manchester Piccadillyonboard dud 175103. Having had a quick change of garments in the lavatory and having purchased the East Midlands Day Ranger from the booking office, I made my way over to Platform 3 for a cup of tea before boarding the 08:01 Birmingham via Stoke on Trent. It was onboard required 350253 for the run to Stone (additionally calling Longport due to the 08:08 Crewe – Newark Castle being missing), returning to Stoke on Trent around 30 minutes later on required 350222 that was on the 09:05 ex Birmingham – Crewe.

My next move after nipping to the lavatory was to make my way outside the station to an unusual style of platform for my next “train”. Although it is a metal box that has metal wheels, this “train” has rubber tyres on the wheels as it runs on tarmacadam roads i.e. this is a rail replacement bus and has been for the previous seventeen years running between Hanley and Stoke Station to Stone, calling at Wedgwood and Barlaston as the real trains that run on metal rails have not called at those stations since when the West Coast Mainline got upgraded for the tilting trains. There are plans for real trains to call at Barlaston at some point in the near future, with Wedgwood being formally closed (like Norton Bridge, which I visited back in 2017), hence the visit today.

The 100 bus to Stone Granville Square arrived on time at 09:32, which was operated by D&G Travel. The bus I was on had the registration WT58 BUS. After departing Stoke Station, it was via City Road to join the A500 Queensway ring road, the A34 Stone Road to Trentham Gardens, A5035 Longton Road to Trentham Methodist Church and Golf Club, and turning off onto the Barlaston Old Road, alighting at Wedgwood Drive. It was a walk along Wedgwood Drive underneath the height bar for motor vehicles and across the bridge over the Trent and Mersey Canal to the level crossing. The platforms (which have deteriorated and still retain the station name signs on the lampposts) are clearly visible, but the ramp end for both platforms are fenced off with the gates padlocked. The station information poster frame has details of the replacement bus, which was surprising as I had still expected the pre 2004 timetable to still be there. It does demonstrate that some care and attention has still been given to this station, despite not having had any real trains calling there for a good number of years.

I had made my way back to Barlaston Old Road directly opposite the bus stop across from the Stone side of the road to return to Stoke on the exact same bus which arrived on time at 10:13. At the end of City Road just before the junction to Station Road by the railway line, I had spotted 66125 hauling Inerys tanks southbound. I was aware that by visiting Wem, Stone, and Wedgwood this morning, that I would hit a bogey in that the 10:33 ex Crewe – Newark Castle is one of the missing trains due to staffing and training issues in the East Midlands. I did think about having a run to Congleton, but the southbound arrives at Stoke after the East Midlands has departed (same at Kidsgrove), with the 12:33 Newark Castle being missing too. In other words, I would never get across to the East Midlands Region if I spent extra time in Staffordshire and Cheshire.

Having eventually decided to take a short run north to Kidsgrove, I made my way to Platform 3 via a stop off at the lavatory having seen 67027+023 running light engine southbound to hop onboard dud 323229. At Kidsgrove, works are progressing on the construction of a new accessible footbridge. Being as the 11:14 ex Crewe – Birmingham was a dud 350, I let that go and hung around for the 11:21 ex Crewe – Newark Castle to board 156408 straight to Derby, so as to see if anything around there is required. For easier readability, I have listed the subsequent moves below similar to London Underground linear hops with requirements highlighted in bold:

170515 12:34Derby - Whatstandwell and 13:25 Whatstandwell– Belper

170420 13:46 (6minutes delayed) Belper– Matlock Bath and 14:17 (4 minutes delayed) Matlock Bath– Derby

222002 15:09 Derby– Leicester

222015 15:37 Leicester– Loughborough

222008 15:52 Loughborough– Leicester

170397 16:12 Leicester– Stamford (Lincs)

170101 17:07 Stamford (Lincs) – Leicester (I knew this was on the Birmingham – Leicester/Stansted today having checked online, hence the run to Stamford and back)

222019 17:51 Leicester – Nottingham

After alighting at Nottingham, I had a quick look around to see if anything was required and to my surprise I had spotted a pair of 153s at the eastern end of Platform 3 on the 18:34 Cleethorpes with the roller blind on the rear 153 displaying Cleethorpes. Although it was 357 (dud) I had a look at the front 153 and it was 384, which was required. More so, it had the headlamps on, with the tail light on 357. It is noted that this train couples to the inbound working from Leicester via the Ivanhoe Project Phase I stations, with this having been dud 156919. There were problems with the coupling process – from what I observed the door interlock seemed to have been playing up slightly but was eventually sorted. Departure was 16 minutes behind schedule with me being in the leading 153, with as mentioned required 153384+ duds 153357+156919 taking me on a run eastbound. I decided to bail at Swinderby as: 1) There are a lot of stations that begin with the letter “S”, and 2) it is the middle one between both Newark stations and Lincoln Central.

Having made my way to the oppositeplatform via the manually operated gate level crossing,I returned to Nottingham on the 19:48 ex Grimsby Town – Leicester onboard required 158864 (I had seen this at Leicester earlier on that worked the 15:39 Grimsby, hence I knew that I could get this one at some point today). After arriving at Nottingham and having seen a dud Sprinter on the Worksop, and tiredness was starting to catch up with me, I decided to bring today’s action to a close and went along Station Street to check in at the Jury’s Inn (I got a promotional rate) to wind down for the evening.

Overall, I am happy with today’s efforts in that I have finally managed to get round to scoring the visit of Wem, completing all stations between Crewe and Shrewsbury. I also managed to fit in Wedgwood before it is most likely to be formally closed when Barlaston has real trains calling again in the near future, and Stone while I was in the area. In addition, I have also visited a station in Lincolnshire that only has Crosscountry Trains calling there, having cleared all of the XC fleet of 170s in their originally built formations (I require the centre coaches in 170620 and 623 that were inserted in from the West Midlands 170632 and 635, now 532 and 535 which I also require – hope I’m making sense here). I only require 153308 (may get scrapped as there is no future home for it), 156410 (possibly may end up with Northern), and 4 x 158s (158780, 783, 788, and 862) to clear the East Midlands Sprinter fleet.

Stay tuned for the reports of Wednesday,Thursday, and Friday.

adrock1976

Established Member
St Philips Marsh and a brief Valley Lines bash 1 September

With me having had a reasonable night’s sleep and after getting ready, I had checked out just before 06:30 for the short walk to the station for the 06:42 Skegness onboard required 158785+ dud 156414 for a run to Radcliffe-on-Trent. It is noted that this station and the one before it Netherfield has a limited number of trains calling, hence the early start as I had identified a linear hop with the presently reduced timetable. Having had a walk down the hill to the Co-op store to pick up some provisions for later, it was back to the station for the 07:18 ex Grantham – Nottingham onboard dud pair 156407+909 for a bus stop bash along to Netherfield. Twenty minutes later, I returned to Nottingham onboard dud pair 156413+158813 that was on the 07:43 ex Boston.

As it was time to make my way towards the Bristol area, I made my way over to Platform 7 for the 08:08 Cardiff Central, boarding dud 170108 for the run straight to Newport (Gwent). During the course of the journey, I had managed to work out that one of the converted 319s that I require is on the Rhymney – Penarth, as well as one of my required Wales 153s. There was another required 153 that may be in Cardiff later on, depending if it comes back out of the depot at Canton after doing a Swansea – Fishguard Harbour run at lunchtime. After arriving at Newport, I had purchased the Valley Lines Explorer ready for later on.

I made my way to Bristol Parkway on the few minutes delayed 11:30 ex Swansea – London Paddington onboard required pair 800001+027 having noted that the 11:37 ex Cardiff – Portsmouth Harbour was delayed by 15 minutes. Over in the adjacent Platform 4, the 12:14 Weston-super-Mare was already there with the doors locked. Eventually, it was onboard dud 166209 for the run to Nailsea & Backwell via St Philips Marsh, departing 6 minutes behind schedule at 12:20 with the train arriving at Bedminster early and awaited time for the booked departure time. I returned back to Bristol Parkway via St Philips Marsh on the 13:39 ex Weston, onboard coach 49104 on the HST set that had dud powercars 43194+170 (waiting time at Filton Abbey Wood as arrived early), and onwards to Cardiff Central from Platform 3 on the slightly delayed 15:04 ex London Paddington – Swansea, which were the same pair of IETs I had earlier (800027+001).

I then made my way over to Platforms 6/7 for the 15:49 ex Penarth – Rhymney onboard (although not required as I already had it as a 319) 769445 for a run northbound to Caerffili, south to Llanishen on the 16:15 ex Bargoed onboard (again, not required as I already had it as a 319) 769008, then northbound to Llanbradach on the 16:38 Bargoed onboard (definitely required, as I never had this as a 319) required 769003. I returned south to Cardiff Central on the 17:04 Penarth onboard required 153361+ dud 909. It is noted that the 769s ran to time with a couple of early arrivals at some stations.

Having hung around to see if 153935+329 would be back out again on the 18:06 Swansea all stations, this was not to be as it was 327+913 that appeared instead. Although the Real Time trains website had it marked as 935+329 as I had checked earlier, once a diagram ends at a depot there is a possibility that any later workings would be swapped. Of note, 935 (335) was the one that was always eluding me in Anglia Region, as it always seemed to be on the middle track between the platforms at Norwich, or was at Crown Point. Having nipped out of the station to the nearby Tesco store to pick up some provisions, I headed to Birmingham on the 18:45 Nottingham onboard dud 170638. I made my way to the Ibis in Sutton Street to check in and unwind for the evening.

Stay tuned for the Thursday and Friday reports.

adrock1976

Established Member
West Midlands Region tidy up session and onwards to Shrewsbury 2 September

After having had a reasonably good night’s sleep, it was a later rise than previously and going at a gentle pace. Eventually, I was out of the door just before 10:45 for the very short but leisurely walk to Moor Street station. After purchasing the West Midlands Daytripper and having got some tea from the Centenary Lounge, it was soon onboard dud pair 172345+222 that was on the few minutes delayed 11:21 ex Stratford-upon-Avon – Kidderminster for a run to Rowley Regis (arriving 5 minutes behind schedule at 11:44), as I had only alighted here back in 1988/89. It was not long to await the 11:51 ex Dorridge – Worcester Foregate Street which had dud pair 172218+342 (I have not seen any of the four 172s from Chiltern today) to take me to Cradley Heath. I then walked up to the high street for the bus to take me to my mum’s.

After spending some time at my mum’s (she’s due some tests in hospital in a few days time, and required to self isolate before then), I made my way via bus to Tipton Owen Street just beyond the junction after the A4123 Wolverhampton – Birmingham New Road, then walked via Owen Street to the station. When looking through my historic ticket collection while I was at my previous flat, I stumbled across a single from Birmingham to Tipton purchased back in 1990, I seem to recall that I knew there was a required 86 or 87 on the London Euston – Wolverhampton, and also there being a required 310 or 312 on the local all stations to Wolverhampton. Normally back then, it would either be Sandwell & Dudley or Dudley Port I would have bailed at and headed home, but the timetable for the 74 that runs past Dudley Port had been slightly revised in the evening, hence how I got the 310/311/312 from Tipton as it was not such a long wait (plus I had the former level crossing to help me if need be back then).

I was surprised that for some reason or another, I was half an hour ahead of myself bearing in mind I got caught in some heavy traffic while on the first bus to Dudley. A few moments later, the 17:57 ex Birmingham New Street – Wolverhampton had arrived and I hopped onboard required 350129 for the run to Wolverhampton, finally having completed both boarding and alighting at Tipton. Ten minutes or so later, I made my way to Codsall on the 18:19 ex Birmingham – Shrewsbury, with dud pair 170533+514 doing the honours.

While here on a linear hop, I had noted that there was a required pair of 170s on the 15 minutes delayed 18:20 Birmingham. Having worked out that I can do another linear hop so as to get both required 170s on the way back from Birmingham (they overnight at Shrewsbury, therefore unlikely to be swapped at Birmingham to get back on time), I hung around to see what would be on the 18:59 Shrewsbury (the train I had intended to arrive here on). It was worth the wait as it was required pair 170513+509 that I took as far as Telford Central, also completing both boarding and alighting here having only alighted back in 2016.

Having checked the screen to see that the 19:47 ex Birmingham – Shrewsbury was delayed by 17 minutes, I went for a wander to the town centre and back to the station. The 19:47 Shrewsbury was still delayed, and also the 20:02 ex Birmingham International – Chester was delayed by 9 minutes, I had a look on the Real Time Trains website to see if either or both of my last 2 required Wales 158s are on. Having looked at the webpage, one of them was required, therefore I could do another linear hop on the way to Shrewsbury. Eventually, required pair 170510+506 that I saw earlier at Codsall did the honours for a linear hop to Wellington, and five minutes or so later, it was on the 9 minutes delayed 20:09 Chester onboard required 158834+dud 824 to Shrewsbury, where the train coupled to 150227 with 824 being uncoupled. I made my way to The Bull Inn along Butcher Row (via the Tesco store to pick up provisions for tomorrow) to check in and settle for the night.

Overall, despite having done very little today, I have managed to complete both boarding and alighting at Rowley Regis, Tipton, and Codsall, plus have managed to get some required West Midlands 170s, a 350, and now leaving me with one Wales 158s (827).

Stay tuned for Friday’s installment.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Pretty decent performance all in there, fair play. It took me ages to clear the Welsh 158s way back when, this would have been 2006 I think, so imagine my joy when my last one happened to turn up one day. It put me behind the day's plan, but it had to be done!

Hope your Mum is OK :)

adrock1976

Established Member
Heart of Wales Line and homeward bound 3 September

Being as I have not visited any of the stations along the northern section of the Heart of Wales Line, I decided to have a go at this section in the best way I could bearing in mind I do not have the Royal Welsh Show extra train (and does not run north of Builth Road) to help me. I would be using three out of the four timetabled journeys in each direction, mainly concentrating on the request stops that have either no or a scarce bus service being as the weather is still reasonably pleasant enough.

It was a very early rise for me and having checked out it was a short walk to the station for the 05:31 ex Crewe – Carmarthen, boarding required 175115 for a Shropshire style bus stop bash to Church Stretton. Almost 30 minutes later it was on the 06:14 ex Shrewsbury – Llanelli onboard dud 150217 for a run to Builth Road. It is noted as well as having visited all stations between Crewe and Shrewsbury, I have also now visited all stations between Shrewsbury and Hereford. After having had a gentle wander around at Builth Road during the 45 minute wait, it was onboard dud pair 153367+926 that was on the 08:30 ex Carmarthen – Crewe for a run to Hopton Heath (trains were calling here again after being temporarily suspended due to the short platform, meaning that the guard could not socially distance from passengers who would use the station).

Having gone for a walk to the nearby “Wood n Ribbon” tearoom for a pot of tea, it was then back to the platform for the 10:46 ex Shrewsbury – Swansea to board dud 150251 for a run to Llangynllo. I went for a wander to the nearby summit for a short while, then returned to the station when it became drizzly. From this point onwards, I knew that any subsequent trains I would use along the Heart of Wales would be dud as I have had all three diagrams today. I boarded the 12:24 ex Llanelli – Shrewsbury for a run to Broome onboard as expected dud 150217.

Being as I have just over 100 minutes here at Broome, I went for a gentle walk having noted that there is a derelict pub that is close to the former goods yard. Having walked along the Brome Road to Aston on Clun at the junction with Craven Arms Road, The Kangaroo Inn appeared to be closed, therefore I gently walked back to the station via the community shop to pick up something cold and wet. I eventually awaited the arrival of the 14:39 ex Shrewsbury – Swansea and as expected again, the return of dud 150217 for a run to the county town of Powys, Llandrindod Wells.

Having had a wander around the town centre, I made my way to the Llanerch Inn for something cold and wet again and left ten minutes or so before the train was due. It was not long before the 16:59 Shrewsbury arrived, with as expected the return of dud 150251 doing the honours in taking me to Shrewsbury. It is noted that being as I have had 150s and a pair of 153s today, the train had arrived at the passing loops at Llandrindod Wels and Knighton (and Craven Arms) slightly early, even if there was a minute or two delay between the passing loops which demonstrates (albeit unscientifically) that it seems two engines are better than one (which a single 153 has).

Being as I knew that the 18:58 ex Carmarthen – Manchester was a dud 175109, I went straight to Crewe on the 18:32 shuttle onboard dud 158821, having spotted 20303 at Gresty Bridge with various locos. After having nipped out of the station for a walk to the Tesco filling station at the roundabout at Weston Road, I had spotted 82226 (unsure of the last digit)+ 67015 having come to a halt at Platform 6 from the Gresty Bridge/Basford direction at around 20:05, before continuing onwards. It was soon onboard the 20:09 ex London Euston – Glasgow Central via Birmingham (one of the very few running north of Preston during the reduced timetable), with dud 390103 doing the honours in taking me to Glasgow. Making my way past the various Friday night drunks, I decided that it would be less walking for me by going to Buchanan for the First Glasgow X3 via M80, Muirhead, Moodiesburn, and Westfield due at 23:40 for the run to Craiglinn Roundabout for a five or so minute walk home, with me being in the door just after 00:25.

Conclusion

When I planned this trip, my intentions were to visit Wem, Wedgwood, and Stone on my way to the East Midlands, to do the St Philips Marsh depot diversion, an attempt to get my five remaining 153s, 170101 (last XC 170 in original form, although I require the centre coaches of now 170620 and 623 as those came from the West Midlands fleet) and visit some stations along the top end of the Heart of Wales line. The stations and the track I had achieved in getting those as intended, but could only get one East Midlands 153 and one Wales 153 (I require 153308, and 320 and 335/935 respectively). Also, out of the former BR stock in East Midlands Region, I only require four 158s and 156410 (which the 156 may end up with Northern at some point). I have also sampled the converted 319s (now 769s) in Wales on diesel mode only, due to no wires yet along the ex Rhymney Railway.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A decent mix of stations along the Heart of Wales there! How easy was it to walk to the tearoom at Hopton Heath? I went through there some weeks ago on a cycle ride, I must have not noticed the tearoom unless it was that place just before the hill towards Bucknell?

adrock1976

Established Member
A decent mix of stations along the Heart of Wales there! How easy was it to walk to the tearoom at Hopton Heath? I went through there some weeks ago on a cycle ride, I must have not noticed the tearoom unless it was that place just before the hill towards Bucknell?

It is an easy walk.

The location of it is in the posh campsite with pods and farmyard animals.

I exited the station via the steps up to the road bridge, turned right, continue to the junction with Church Road, bear right, then turn right down the narrow road passing camping pods. See https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3897438,-2.9117213,17z

Unknown to me at the time, there is also a shortcut directly from the platform at the Llanelli end, but I never noticed that until I returned back to the station.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks, I definitely missed that when I was up there some weeks ago. I had been looking to get on a train at Hopton Heath that day, but it was way before trains started calling again.

adrock1976

Established Member
Whitley Bay trip 20-24 September

Intro

With some more lockdown restrictions being planned to be eased during the course of the summer, both me and my partner had booked a short break at the caravan park in Whitley Bay. Being as I mainly have the dog with me as my partner is looking after one of her twin sons cat (a 16-17 year old ginger tom, who is very territorial and hissed at and terrified the dog when they first met on neutral territory years ago) at her flat in Paisley. Also, as Cumbernauld is a Mark I New Town (designated 1955), it was designed from the outset that pedestrians and bicycles would be segregated from motorised traffic, and that there is over 50% green spaces which is ideal for the dog as she has no road sense at all. As I had booked First Class Advances from Croy, the plan was for my partner to be on either the 12:15 Glasgow Queen Street – Edinburgh via Falkirk High, or the 12:20 Glasgow QS – Alloa so as to meet me and the dog at Croy before heading to Edinburgh on the 12:56. We had done most of our respective packing on the Friday and Saturday, and ordered some groceries and dog food on the Tesco website for delivery to the caravan.

However, on the Saturday, my partner had came down with a nasty chest infection, which was causing her to cough everytime she moved a muscle. Although it was too late to reschedule the trip (there would have been extra hassle in getting the Med 3 form from my partner’s GP, as they have not done any face to face appointments since the beginning of the pandemic), it was at my partner’s insistence that just myself and the dog would go, and that it would not be a totally wasted trip as while I am in the area, I could have a go at reducing the Tyne & Wear Metro requirements.

Outward bound Monday 20 September

Having adjusted the grocery order slightly last night and after having had some sleep in the best way I could, my first mission of the day was to take the dog on a longer walk so as to help her settle (5 year old Border Collie who is still energetic) as she knew that we would be going to the seaside. After checking that the only appliance which has the power left on is the fridge freezer, it was out of the door just after 12:15 for the gentle walk down the hill to the Craiglinn Roundabout for the Canavan Travel 43 to Croy Station (I would normally have walked along, but I did not like the look of the black cloud in the sky as there is nowhere along the walking route to go for shelter if it starts raining heavily. Also, the Stuarts of Carluke 348 that runs past my flat has a 3 hour break between 11:46 and 14:46). The bus arrived at 12:35, and it was dud KX58 GVA (I also note buses for haulage in the Cumbernauld area due to the various operators – there are both the First Bus (Glasgow and Larbert), both Stagecoach (Ayr and Dunfermline), Stuarts of Carluke, Canavan Travel, McGills (Coatbridge), Dunns Coaches, Scottish Citylink to name some of them) that took me for the short run to the bridge at Croy station.

As I have cleared all 24 of the 4 car 385s for haulage, I knew that the 12:56 Edinburgh Waverley would be a dud pair, which are 380116+119 that were busy. Having exited Waverley station and up the ramp to the bridge for a potty break for the dog, it was back down the northern ramp and to Platform 8 to board required 800105 that was on the 14:00 London Kings Cross for the run to Newcastle Central.

Having arrived at Newcastle and being as the First Class lounge was open (the one at Edinburgh Waverley is closed for refurbishment), I got myself a cup of tea and took the chance to nip to the lavatory. On previous occasions when continuing to Whitley Bay, normally it would have been downstairs for the Metro but as the tunnelled stations have escalators with a set of stairs in the middle, and lifts that since the pandemic began can only be used by one person or household at a time. As the 308/309 bus that runs past the caravan park starts from Haymarket, I decided I would try the bus instead as I had a rucksack, a large suitcase, plus the dog (the suitcase contained various equipment for the dog as well as a couple of old pillows in a part of my rucksack).

After exiting the station, it was a gentle walk along Grainger Street to the Charles Grey monument, then bearing right then left along the pedestrianised Northumberland Street to Haymarket metro station, turning left into the bus station. It was not long before I was on board the 16:22 308 for the run to the caravan park via the Coast Road, Billy Mill Lane, North Tyneside Hospital, and Whitley Bay town centre, arriving just after 17:05. Having found the caravan, it was not long before the groceries arrived (I had a phone call from the driver asking if I would like a slightly earlier delivery, as the driver was already on site), and having sorted things out and unpacked items from the luggage, both me and the dog had settled after having had a brief walk to the beach (it was high tide, hence how it was brief).

Stay tuned for the Tuesday to Friday reports.

adrock1976

Established Member
Tyne & Wear Metro Pt 1 Tuesday 21 September

Having had not much sleep due to the caravan being near the launderette where the on site vehicles pick up and drop off the bed linen, and also with me not finding the bed very comfortable, it was out to the dog exercise area with the ball soon after I had a big kiss, or rather I should say a very big facebath as the dog was excited. As I was going at a gentle pace today, it was after lunchtime when I got a flask of tea ready, plus dog treats to then head into town via a walk along the beach. After arriving at the metro station, the first arrival to St James came in at 15:02, and I would be concentrating on this section of the loop and the South Shields arm today, having already visited some stations back in 2019. For easier readability, I have listed the moves below similar to London Underground linear hops, with requirements highlighted in bold.

4037+4011 Whitley Bay – Byker

4090+4060 Byker – Meadow Well, and Bede – Chichester

4085+4027 Meadow Well – Chillingham Road

4049+4057 Chillingham Road – Percy Main

4014+4087 Percy Main – Walkergate

4017+4007 Walkergate – Howdon

4015+4076 Howdon – Wallsend

4087+4014 Wallsend – Hadrian Road

4008+4025 Hadrian Road – North Shields

It was then a walk down the hill to the Tyne Ferry pier to board “Pride of the Tyne” across to South Shields, then onwards to the 2019 site of the Metro station (I had already done the 1984 site back in 2019).

4010+4005 South Shields – Hebburn

4048+4068 Hebburn – Tyne Dock, and Tyne Dock – Jarrow

4053+4041 Jarrow – Simonside, and Simonside – Bede

4079+4081 Chichester – South Shields, and South Shields – Haymarket

Being as the bus service drops in frequency at this time in the evening, I decided to bail at Haymarket and get the 21:12 308 back to the caravan park (would have been the exact same bus from Whitley Bay town centre).

adrock1976

Established Member
Blyth, Pegswood, and Widdrington visits Wednesday 22 September

Today I decided upon two options, which were to see if 153308 (my final East Midlands 153, and happens to be the one that has no future planned home after the December timetable change) was on the Cleethorpes – Barton shuttle (I had already done the maths with various split points), or for something closer to the caravan park, to revisit Pegswood and Widdrington stations as I was needing to alight at both being as I had only boarded at both back in 2017. As 153308 was not allocated to anything today (it was a shot in the dark), this steered me towards my second option. As a side note, I would be taking things very gently as I have a pain in my right shoulder and the right side of my neck, hence how I picked up some ibuprofen from the on site shop.

Having got some provisions and flask of tea ready, it was to the northbound bus stop arriving just after 15:25. The 309 to Blyth was due at 15:30 and having purchased the Network Explorer 1 day it was straight to Blyth and then for a gentle stroll to the harbour area and the seafront. After a while, it was back to the town centre for a near fifteen minute wait for the 2 which was due at 16:32, and was surprised that it was a double decker. Onboard, it was straight to the back on the lower deck as I know that the dog settles down, whereas if near the front in the buggy/wheelchair space (as well as having to move if one comes on), the dog would want to leave the vehicle with other passengers. It was straight to Northumberland’s county town of Morpeth, via Albion Way, Dene View, Chasedale, A189, Bedlington Station, Stead Lane, Bedlington, then a loop somewhere to come back on itself, A1068 Choppington Road, and the A196 Morpeth Road to Morpeth railway station and the town centre.

Having had a gentle stroll around the town centre, it was back to the bus station for the Arriva 35 for the short run to Pegswood Station which was due at 17:59. The Chathill train was due at 18:32 with it arriving more or less on time, and much to my surprise it was required 158860 that I did not expect (as I now require 3 of the Northern 158s – 754, 817, and 845). It was onboard for a Northumberland style bus stop bash along to Widdrington, where after alighting from the train, it was a gentle walk into the woods and back, while keeping an eye on the time as although Widdrington has a level crossing, there is no footbridge over the line. Arrival at the Newcastle/London side platform was just after 19:30, with the great big screen on the great big ticket machine having the 19:42 as being delayed by 3 minutes. The return of 158860 arrived at 19:44 and it was onboard for the short run back to Pegswood (unsurprisingly, it was only me and the dog that boarded, with nobody alighting), having completed both boarding and alighting at these two stations as I had only boarded at both back in 2017.

The return back to Morpeth was on the Arriva 35 that was due at 20:01, which arrived on time. Around 25 or so minutes later, it was onboard the Arriva X18 that was due at 20:38 for the run to Newcastle Haymarket via the A1 Great North Road and the Regent Centre at Gosforth, then back to the caravan park on the 308 due at 21:12, arriving around 40 minutes or so later.

adrock1976

Established Member
Tyne & Wear Metro Pt II – Thursday 23 September

With my neck and shoulder pain still not showing any signs of easing, I would be taking it easy today and not rushing round at all. After doing all the things I needed to do this morning, it was a lunchtime start with me (and the dog) returning to some Tyne & Wear Metro action today, concentrating on the Airport branch and the stations to Sunderland (both me and the dog had already done the Sunderland – South Hylton section back in 2019). Setting off just before 13:00, it was to the bus stop on the main road for the 308 that was due at 13:10 for the run to Haymarket, then a gentle walk along Northumberland Street to the Charles Grey monument and downstairs to the station. The Metro system was in meltdown as there was a signalling fault, with no trains running on the South Shields arm at this moment in time.

After arriving on the eastbound platform of the South Shields via The Coast, it was onboard dud pair 4043+4088 for a run to Manors (I thought I had already done this station back in 2019, but checking my notes I realised I had not. I had already done the upstairs station back in 2016 on the way back from Cramington) which were on a St James – Wallsend short working. Having crossed to the opposite platform, the screens were displaying the St James’s trains due in 60 minutes, 45 minutes, 5 minutes, 25 minutes – in other words even the screens seemed to be running haywire as well as the trains. At 14:35, it was the return of the same pair from earlier for the run back to Monument.

Making the way to the Airport/Benton platform and arriving there just before 14:45, it was time to actually get to work in doing the Airport branch, which was the first train that arrived. For easier readability, I have listed the moves similar to a couple of days ago with requirements highlighted in bold:

4021+4065 (14:45) Monument – Callerton Parkway and Callerton Parkway – Kingston Park

4033+4064 Kingston Park – Bank Foot, Fawdon – Wansbeck Road, and Sunderland – Seaburn

4032+4056 Bank Foot – Regent Centre

4057+4049 Regent Centre – Fawdon, Gateshead Stadium – Sunderland, and St. Peter's – East Boldon

4041+4053 Wansbeck Road – Gateshead

4006+4078 Gateshead – Gateshead Stadium

4010+4005 Seaburn – St. Peter's

4016+4047 East Boldon – Stadium of Light

4085+4007 Stadium of Light – Fellgate

4062+4054 Fellgate – Brockley Whins

4004+4077 Brockley Whins – Felling

4081+4079 Felling – Northumberland Park

4031+4089 Northumberland Park – Longbenton

4066+4028 Longbenton – Benton

4075+4003 Benton – Four Lane Ends

4061+4042 Four Lane Ends – Whitley Bay

It was a walk to the town centre for the 309 that was due at 21:00 for the run back to the caravan park.

adrock1976

Established Member
Homeward bound Friday 24 September

After getting things together and having checked out, it was a walk to the bus stop to board the 308 to Haymarket via the Coast Road, which arrived at around 11:10. From Haymarket, it was a very gentle walk via Northumberland Street, Charles Grey monument, and Grainger Street to Newcastle Central station. My neck and shoulder were in excruciating pain, hence how taking time to go steady. Eventually, it was onboard the 12:54 ex London Kings Cross – Aberdeen with dud (I had this on the way down the other day) 800105. It was very busy onboard, but both myself and the dog managed to settle after sorting out where to store luggage. Arrival at Edinburgh Waverley was more or less on schedule.

Having took the dog out for a pee, it was on dud pair 385111+110 that was on the 15:15 Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High for the run back to Croy. Normally when walking back from Croy station with the dog, we normally go on a long route back home, but being as my neck and shoulder were in excruciating pain, I decided to get the 348 bus from the station forecourt (due 16:15) which is operated by Stuart’s Coaches of Carluke on behalf of SPT. The vehicle was Mercedes Sprinter RV68 YMX which I never had before (normally, 95% of the time, it is vehicle RY19 OUV that runs on the 348 and 403/A routes) which took both me and the dog the two stops up the hill. After dumping the luggage back home, I took the dog for her afternoon walk before settling down.

With this trip, I have managed to complete all of the Tyne & Wear Metro stations, complete both boarding and alighting at Pegswood and Widdrington, got an unexpected Northern 158, and now require 16 or 17 T&W Metrocars.

Postscript

I purchased some Deep Heat spray the next day, which did help a bit better, but only numbing the pain. I contacted the GP on Monday, where a telephone appointment was booked in for the Friday morning same week. After consultation with the GP (who had advised against me using any further ibuprofen/nurofen or paracetamol as those can cause internal stomach bleeding as I am prescribed simvastatin), I was prescribed dihydrocodeine and diazapam. After collecting from the pharmacy the following day, I was nervous about the dihydrocodeine as I saw on the box (I was prescribed a full box of 100, one or two up to four times daily) that it contains opiates, fearing that I would become addicted to painkillers.

Later on, I started with one so as to see how I would get on with the pain easing. Also, not long before retiring to bed, I had one diazapam. I had one of each the next day, and the day after, and the pain had totally gone away. A side effect of me taking both those medicines were that I was very drowsy for those few days, but I had a good quality sleep compared with the seaside trip. I did mention to my partner that for all of the stress of being in pain that I was in while on vacation, that I could do with another one to recover from the one I have just had.

adrock1976

Established Member
I thought I had already posted the below trip from December 2021, but forgot somewhere.

It’s Now or Never – Cleethorpes and Brigg 10-11 December

While I was on my way to the Tesco store in the town centre the previous week, one of the not too mad ideas of someone getting into the festive spirit was this chap in the car park was blasting out various works of Elvis Presley, which included the UK Christmas Number 1 of 1960, hence the first part of the title of this trip. Furthermore, (and with many thanks to forum member Mariner who was providing updates in the Class 153 thread as to what was on the Cleethorpes – Barton shuttle) I require 3x Class 153s – 2 Wales (320+335/935), and one East Midlands (308). It is noted that 308 would not be allocated a new home and most likely end up going for scrap, hence how I was keen to keep an eye on that one so as not to let it get away from me. From Tuesday this week, 308 is on its own instead of coupled to another 153, as has been the case recently, and as the timetable changes at the end of this week, it is most likely that this will be the last week of 308 being in service. I found some pet friendly accommodation in Cleethorpes (Dovedale Hotel along Albert Road) as I would have the dog with me. Being as I am in that part of Lincolnshire, I would revisit Kirton Lindsey and Brigg, as I only boarded at the former and alighted at the latter back in 2017 via a bus move via Scunthorpe between the two.

Outward bound to Cleethorpes Friday 10 December

Having set off at lunchtime for an extended walk to Croy station to collect tickets from the machine. It was on the 12:25 to Edinburgh Waverley onboard dud pair 385115+112, nipping out over to Princes Street Garden for the dog to have a quick pee. Heading to the platform for the 13:30 London Kings Cross, it was onboard required 801218 for the run to Doncaster, where having checked the screens, the 16:37 ex Manchester – Cleethorpes was showing as five minutes delayed, then ten minutes when I left the station.

Arriving back at the station, the screen was showing 15 minutes delayed, then 20 minutes. It was announced that the delay was due to a disturbance on a train in the Swinton area. According to the screen, the train would have 6 coaches, and on the RTT website it was showing as 185116 (required)+ 143 (dud). However, when the train arrived almost 30 minutes late, it was a single 185 not being either of the two mentioned, but required 185125. Eventually, everybody was able to get on and the train departed at 17:07. Looking on the RTT website, I noted that I was able to do a linear hop by bailing at Barnetby, then onwards to Grimsby Town on the slightly delayed 18:02 ex Leicester onboard dud 158806 (the East Midlands allocations did not appear on the RTT website, but now do since the December 2021 timetable change), gricing the track into Platform 3 in the process. Also, the return working of the delayed 185 that I arrived on earlier was cancelled.

After nipping out the station briefly, it was back in to Platform 1 for the 18:39 ex Barton – Cleethorpes, which was required 153308 for a bus stop bash along to New Clee (I did attempt this back in 2016, but had not realised at the time it was a request stop when the Northern fleet of 153s operated the route and failed to score this station. The (EMT) guard had mentioned to me that it is a normal stop now since they began operating the route). Of note, there is an Aldi store nearby, but due to the short amount of time between trains, you would have to be focussed on exactly the items you would require and not purchase the whole store. Fifteen minutes later at 19:00, it was back on the 153 for a run (and some dogbox thrash) to Thornton Abbey, and straight to Cleethorpes 54 minutes later at 20:25 to check in at the accommodation and settle for the evening.

The run to and from Thornton Abbey I decided as well as it being a big break for both myself and the dog, it meant that I have done my last required East Midlands 153 some justice as regarding mileage, as Grimsby Town – New Clee is similar to Stourbridge Junction – Town in my original neck of the woods in that part of the West Midlands (three-quarters of a mile, which is the shortest branchline), and anything outwith the West Midlands that I require for haulage, I always attempt to get at least one mile in the book.

Brigg and homeward bound Saturday 11 December

Having had breakfast, checked out, and having had a walk along the seafront, I already knew that there would be a dud 185 (107) on the 09:26 Manchester so took my time. The 10:34 Manchester were a dud pair of 185s (109+134) therefore declined those. I noted what would be on the 11:14 Sheffield via Brigg being as it was easy to spot the Northern chariot (150269). Being as the 10:56 Barton would be due soon, I thought to myself that I could do another linear hop, this time to Haborough onboard 153308 for the final time (I saw in the Class 153 thread that it had broken down later in the day, with the rail replacement bus service being in operation), then ten minutes later at 11:31 onboard dud 150269 for the run to Kirton Lindsey with me being the only passenger that alighted and nobody boarding.

Exiting the station for a gentle walk up the hill to St Andrews Church and gently back to the station, it was around ten minutes before the 13:02 ex Sheffield – Cleethorpes was due, for a Lincolnshire countryside style bus stop bash along to Brigg onboard dud 158904. There was another passenger who alighted with me, with nobody boarding. As I had 2 and a half hours before the train came back heading to Sheffield, it was another gentle walk into the town centre and along the footpath alongside the River Ancholme as far as the railway bridge where the Scunthorpe line crosses above (it eventually ends at South Ferriby along the bank of the Humber and west of Barton-upon-Humber – perhaps a possible cycle trip for Techniquest?), then having done a time check it was time to head back into town.

As I was needing the lav, the port of call was The Black Bull pub, which is dog friendly and as I had around 50 minutes or so before the train was due, I also had a refreshment. Leaving the pub just after 15:30, it was back to the station to await the return of dud 158904 that was on the 15:43 Sheffield (with three passengers alighting and only me and the dog boarding) for the run to Retford. It was then on the 16:47 ex London Kings Cross – York onboard a MkIV set, with dud 91119 hauling for the short run northbound to Doncaster (the only MkIV set I require is the former BN25+ DVT 82216, which is now in Wales, and the 91s required are 101.122, and 130), changing to the 17:11 Edinburgh with dud 801218 (I had this on the way down yesterday) straight to Waverley.

After nipping out of the station for a short walk over to Princes Street Gardens, it was back to the station and to Platform 12 for the 20:45 Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High, with a single (and dud) 385113 arriving soon into the platform. This was a very busy train, and not long after everyone managed to squeeze on, there was an announcement that the train was now cancelled due to overcrowding. Eventually, it was back onto the platform, the train was took out of service and cleared the platform. Around 15 or so minutes later, dud pair 385106+108 arrived for the 21:15 and everyone managed to get on with relative ease (with passengers who required Linlithgow, Polmont, and Falkirk from the cancelled train already and most likely used the Dunblane train). Other than that, it was an uneventful run back to Croy and for the walk up the hill back home.

Overall, I have managed to get my final East Midlands 153 and to complete both boarding and alighting at Kirton Lindsey and Brigg. On a side note, I require 5 East Mids 158s, and 156410, of which this will not be going to Northern. Also, I require 2 of the Wales 153s (320 and 335/935), with my ideal scenario being for both the 153s to be around Liverpool/Chester/Crewe, so as I do not have to run around most of South Wales chasing after them. I will have to wait and see if my ideal scenario ever plays out, and will check the RTT website every few days so as to have an idea of where they are.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That route you mentioned out of Kirton Lindsey, it sounds interesting and the whole area has barely been explored by myself yet. I have made a mental note to look at my Sustrans map for that area, it sounds intriguing. I vaguely remember, from looking at a map during a cycle tour planning session earlier this year, that there's a cycle-friendly path along the Humber Bridge. That definitely needs investigating!

Your visit to the Cleethorpes area was certainly productive, well done on getting that 153 in the book! My first and so far only visit to that branch line was way back in 2007, almost 15 years ago now!

Status
Not open for further replies.