• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adrock's trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
LNER diversion 26 August

With the various engineering works taking place along the East Coast route, something that had came to my attention was that every second train to and from Leeds and Newcastle/Edinburgh and points north to and from London Kings Cross would be diverted between Doncaster and Newark Northgate. This meant that the trains would be using the left hand side of the triangle between Pyewipe Junction and Boultham Junction to the west of Lincoln Central which does not normally see regular passenger trains. Furthermore, both Grand Central and Hull Trains would be diverted between Doncaster and Peterborough via Lincoln Central and the avoiding lines at Sleaford, which the avoiding lines is required track for me. However, due to time constraints, I would be concentrating on the left hand side of the triangle today and would leave the avoiding lines for the future, as that track is regularly used for all East Coast diversions between Doncaster and Peterborough.

Being as there were no Advance fares via Edinburgh, Newcastle, and York (I tried all three stations) and with the flexible fare appearing to be extortionate (there was nothing better even splitting tickets via Edinburgh etc), I had a play around for the myriad of routes via Preston. Eventually, I settled for my local station – Preston area Cheap Day Return, Preston area – Doncaster area either “Route via Leeds” or “Route via Sheffield” (I could not make my mind up which way I would go to get east of the Pennines) Anytime Return, and Doncaster area – Grantham Saver Return, both of the latter two I would purchase at Preston when I have more of an idea which route I take east. Furthermore, I had worked out that by continuing to Grantham, I would be able to score the crossovers to and from the London direction south of Platform 3 at Newark Northgate, plus according to the LNER website, my intended trains to and from Grantham would be Azumas meaning that I would be getting off the mark with the red Hitachi fleet.

Having set out of the door not long after 06:10, my intention was to be on the 07:10 Glasgow Central – Manchester Airport to Preston, however when I got to Barnhill station the 06:23 Dumbarton Central had been cancelled. I still had the option of the London train therefore this was only a slight hiccup with my plans so far. At around 06:45, the screen had changed with the 06:55 Dumbarton Central also being cancelled caused by a signal fault. I decided to walk to Springburn station for the 07:09 ex Edinburgh via Cumbernauld and hopped onboard dud 385124 for the run to Queen Street. I made my way over to Central and made the 07:37 London Euston via ex Trent Valley Railway and hopped onboard dud 390154 for the run to Preston, having spotted 92014 that would be hauling the sleeper empty to Polmadie. At Kingmoor, 66714 was spotted facing London, also 66421 and 88004, while at Carlisle the Thunderbird in the goods loop was 57309, with 156484 in Platform 2 on the next Barrow in Furness working.

Being as I had already made my mind up in that I would be going via Leeds to reach the east side of the Pennines, I used the machine upstairs to purchase the previously mentioned tickets. It was back downstairs to Platform 6 for the 10:10 ex Barrow in Furness – Manchester Airport to board dud 156427 for the run to Manchester Oxford Road via Wigan North Western and Golborne Junction. I made my way east on the 11:08 ex Manchester Airport – Middlesbrough via Victoria and Huddersfield to Leeds onboard dud 185131, spotting 195102 on the 11:10 Oxford Road – Airport. Making the rapid dash from Platform 15b to Platform 8 at Leeds for the 12:15 Retford, it was onboard dud 82210+911104 on dud set BN05 for the run to Doncaster.

Remaining on Platform 1, it was soon onboard the 7 minutes delayed 12:56 ex Edinburgh Waverley – London Kings Cross with a very busy and standing required 800111 getting me off the mark with the Azumas for the run to Grantham via Gainsborough Lea Road and the left hand side of the Pyewipe Junction – Boultham Junction triangle. Although the train had made up 6 minutes during the course of the journey, it was held at Newark Flat Crossing for around 5 minutes wiping out the running time that had been clawed back. Arrival at Grantham was 7 minutes behind schedule at 14:23. I returned to Leeds on the 14:47 ex London Kings Cross onboard a much quieter required 800109, with the pitch between the seats seemingly greater than the pitch on the Class 390s. Of note, 66764, 66784, and 66176 were spotted at Decoy Yard on the London side on the approach to Doncaster. Also, as well as the left hand side of the triangle, I have griced the crossovers to and from the south of Platform 3 at Newark Northgate, and also griced the track between Doncaster Platforms 1 to 3 and Bessacarr Junction heading southbound.

I made my way back to the west side of the Pennines on the 17:18 ex Middlesbrough – Manchester Airport onboard dud 185111 for the run to Manchester Oxford Road via Huddersfield and Victoria, meaning that I have done the Ordsall Curve in both directions. Around 10 minutes or so later, it was onboard required 319380 that was on the 18:30 ex Manchester Airport – Blackpool North via Bolton for the run to Preston, then on the 19:41 ex London Euston – Glasgow Central onboard dud 390126 straight to Glasgow. I made my way over to Queen Street for the 22:33 Springburn and hopped onboard dud 320310 for the run to Barnhill.

Overall, although the first two trains from my starting station were cancelled this morning, I managed to achieve what I had set out to do, plus as well as gricing required track, I have finally broke my duck with the Azumas.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
West Highland tidying up exercise (for me) and adventure (for the dog) 7-10 October

Intro

Regular readers of this thread will have most likely noted my absence from this site for a while, as there were various events that have happened since I did the Pyewipe Junction - Boultham Junction (left side of the triangle) track in Lincoln at the end of August on the East Coast diversions.

First, a few days previous of that trip, my partner had a bit of a problem (i.e. persistent, with various attempts by the housing association to fix it) with the plumbing in her flat and as I was with her on that day, the chap who stays in the flat below (who is the most arrogant, obnoxious, alcoholic and cokehead t***pot anybody could ever meet, and apparently according to what both me and my partner have head from somebody else on the same floor as the geezer, he has been a long term house guest of Lizzie Windsor (15 to 20 years) - not Buckingham Palace, but HMP Saughton) had stormed up and was banging loudly and furiously on the door. Being as my partner was on the verge of being psychotic (and me monitoring her as it was getting close to call the men in white coats), the banging startled her. I offered to see who it was as the banging on the door was still going on intermittently. When I looked through the peephole, I was astounded to see that geezer (he had been up before when I was not around a couple of days prior, and another time when I was) had a crowbar with him, plus a young primary school age child as well (probably using as a human shield). Fortunately, I went into the store cupboard and grabbed the claw hammer before I opened the door to see what the fuss was about. As I was about to open the door, he banged on it with the crowbar again and was yelling that he has been flooded again. I firmly mentioned that I was armed too with a metallic object, and that it would be a good idea for him to put the crowbar down otherwise there would be two possible places where I would put it - neither being a good outcome, and I would put my object down too. Eventually, he handed it to the child and after opening the door slightly (he was yelling that he is sick and tired of being flooded and that he was going to smash up the flat (my partner's) if the flooding carries on. I explained calmly that the housing association are attempting to fix it (as could be seen as the bath panel had been removed) and that instead of banging and yelling here, he would be better airing his grievances with the housing office. I further explained that an eye is being kept on the plumbing and any defects are being raised with the housing and eventually he cleared off.

Fast forward to a couple of days after my previous trip and while I was at home, my partner after calling the cops was admitted into hospital as she had a major psychotic breakdown (which later on during the stay in hospital, it was attributed to a change in her medication earlier on this year, and also combined with reaching the stage of her life that every woman reaches, but is not mentioned in sex education classes at school: the menopause (my partner is five years older than me). This would mean that I would spend most of September (and October) running back and forth to the hospital.

The drama does not end here, as when my partner had asked me to get a couple of objects from her flat and bring them to the hospital a few weeks later, I could sense something was not quite right when I arrived at my partner's flat. Obviously, there were tell tale signs of a previous forced entry as the cops had to break down the door the day my partner got admitted into hospital with the door frame being repaired as best as it could. I placed the key in the lock but it would not turn and upon closer inspection, I could see that the patched up frame had been damaged with some bits of splintered wood (the door itself I could tell by the indents caused by the geezer below banging the crowbar recently) with the frame appearing to have been prised. When I leant gently against the door it suddenly opened inwards, and confirmed that my partner's flat had been broken into. I could tell by the empty and some smashed bottles of whiskey and rum, plus empty cans of what is known as cat's urine Tennents (my partner does not drink any of those at all). The flat had been ransacked but fortunately the items that my partner had requested were still there so I got those and got the hell out of there as fast as I could, and ran down twelve flights of stairs (my partner's flat is in a high rise, being six floors up) and went to the housing office to clarify exactly when the contractors fixed the door and to explain what I had happened. As it was clear that the flat had been secured after my partner went into hospital, it would now be a police matter. I do have a suspicion who done it, but cannot prove it as neither me or my partner was around. Subsequent to say at the time of this post, the geezer in the flat below as either left, been evicted, or has had another spell at being a house guest of Lizzie Windsor.

Moving on to October, this is where my flat is due to be rewired and have a new kitchen and bathroom installed. In between hospital visits I was clearing out a lot of junk and getting things boxed up ready. After having done all that, the works were ready to begin on Monday 7 October. As the rewiring project involves cutting into masonry walls (kicking out loads of dust and bits of rubble) with large angle grinders, and as the dog is an energetic and playful Border Collie, power tools, several workpeople, and playful dogs are not a good combination. Although I would have liked to have had a run to north of Inverness and back (to either Forsinard or Altnabreac), the timings did not allow me to do so, therefore I would concentrate on tidying up some of the stations I have already visited along the West Highland line but where I have only alighted or boarded before being as I do not require any of the Scotrail Class 156s (I unexpectedly got my final Scotrail one (453) back in May).

Tuesday 8 October - my birthday

After the prep work yesterday of having had the kitchen and bathroom ripped out (I still had access to the lavatory, and was using bottled water to make flasks of tea) and having got some provisions from the large Tesco store over the road from me, the workmen arrived just after 08:00 and as it was today the electricians were in for the rewiring, it was time for me and the dog to set off. After being in the park near me for a short while (I had some good news in that my partner was being let out of hospital later on mid afternoon on a three day pass after the duty nurse has given her medication) it was a short walk to Barnhill station to start the trip. For easier readability, I have listed the moves below similar to linear hops on London Underground and as I do not require any of the electric fleet on the Glasgow Central/Queen Street low level routes nor the 156s, there is nothing in bold as is normally the case.

320307+318254 08:55 Barnhill - Glasgow Queen Street and 15:54 Dumbarton Central - Barnhill
156478+474 10:33 Glasgow Queen Street - Ardlui (arrived -12 behind schedule as was held at Craigendoran Junction)
156453 13:56 Ardlui - Helensburgh Upper

334002+027 15:26 Helensburgh Central - Dumbarton Central

While doing the walk along Sinclair Street between the Helensburgh stations, I had two bits of good news in that the electricians had completed the rewiring, and that my partner has had the medication issued for the next few days. When I arrived back home, my flat was in a state of chaos as expected, but I still had access to the lavatory and that the electricians seem to have done reasonably well with the rewiring. Having met up with my partner, we proceeded to spend the rest of the day together at mine and ordering a takeaway meal to share between us.

Wednesday 9 October

A slightly later start to the trip today as was waiting for the plasterers to replaster the solid walls where the electricians had cut into. My partner was meeting one of her sons today as well at lunchtime. Again, the moves are listed below.

334026 11:25 Barnhill - Glasgow Queen Street
156446+453 12:20 Glasgow Queen Street - Dalmally
156474+478 15:26 Dalmally - Glasgow Queen Street
318257 18:06 Glasgow Queen Street - Barnhill

Thursday 10 October

Being as today is the continuation of the installation of the new kitchen and bathroom, and as my partner was meeting another one of her sons at lunchtime, it was a slightly earlier start compared to yesterday. I have listed the moves below.

320412 09:55 Barnhill - Glasgow Queen Street
156457+450 10:33 Glasgow Queen Street - Arrochar & Tarbet
156446+492 14:09 (delayed 23 min) Arrochar & Tarbet - Glasgow Queen Street (arrived 15:47 which was 11 minutes behind schedule)
334026 16:03 Glasgow Queen Street - Barnhill

The next day it was time for my partner to return to hospital but first of all, she decided to pluck up the courage to see the state of her flat after being broken into. I accompanied her along and from what could be seen from a quick eyeball, nothing of value seemed to have gone missing.

I had a brief trip to London the following weekend for a conference I was attending, which will be in the next post as I feel this is already a lengthy enough post as it is.

Iskra

Established Member
Wow, well done for dealing with all that. Sounded like a good little trip to get out of the way. Glad your partner is well enough to come out of hospital:)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Jeepers what a situation to be in! I hope your other half is in a better position of strength now, and equally that you're OK too. Fingers crossed the geezer is indeed back at HMP, I've not long ago had some issues with a housemate (who got kicked out last month) but nothing even close to as bad as that!

I had noticed a lack of your trip reports lately, but as several others seem to have stopped posting reports I assumed the same applied to yourself.

Kudos for getting through a tough situation, and here's to things getting back to normal ASAP!

adrock1976

Established Member
A quick out and back trip to London 18-20 October

Being as my partner has been discharged from hospital and with me lightening the load for her, under normal circumstances I would have done more railway related activity on my way down to London and some bits and pieces around this weekend as I would be attending a conference held in the old committee rooms at Guy's Hospital at the south end of Westminster Bridge. This would be a straightforward there and back trip with me not expecting to get any requirements at all, however, I would have a chance to sample the Mk V Caledonian Sleeper stock albeit with me being in the seats. As one of my partner's twin sons would be off work this weekend and as my partner would be at my flat (with me having got it back in to some sort of reasonable order after the rewiring and new kitchen and bathroom, although I have not got round to redecorating and some things still remain in boxes), we both had help with dog duties.

Having set off out the door just after 22:40 on the Friday evening, it was a short walk to Barnhill station for the 22:55 to Glasgow Queen Street onboard dud 320418. Making my way to Central station amounts the Friday night revellers/drunks, I made my way over to Platform 10 for the 23:40 London Euston via ex Trent Valley Railway and Northampton having spotted that 92020 had brought in the Mk V stock from Pomadie. Hiking along the platform towards the London end of the train, I noted the numbers of the leading three coaches (I was going by the large numbers that was among the long number on the side) which were 150037+151096+152074, hauled by required loco 92006 for the run to London. I did manage to get a few naps after the portion from Edinburgh had coupled up at Carstairs, which was a smooth process as the train did not appear to lurch or jolt at all compared with the previous Mk III stock. The loco that brought the portion from Edinburgh was 92010. I would like to note that I never had a proper sleep in the seat due to me not being able to sleep on my back as I am a side sleeper. Arrival at Euston was at 06:43.

Due to be having plenty of time before the conference starts and as it was a pleasant but slightly chilly morning, I gently made my way on foot to the Shakespeare's Head Wetherspoons just past Holborn Underground station. I hung around the vicinity for a while for the doors to open and having ordered and consumed a large veggie breakfast, I continued on foot to the conference venue via Kingsway, Aldwych, Waterloo Bridge, and York Road.

After the conference ended, I made my way to my accommodation along Sussex Gardens at the Edgware Road side via Westminster Bridge to the Underground for the Jubilee Line to Baker Street. I hopped on dud 96028+required 96077 and soon checked into the accommodation so as to dump my backpack. As I have been having pains in my back around my lymph nodes, I walked along to Queensway in Bayswater to book myself in for a 90 minute therapeutic Swedish massage, and walked back to the accommodation to retire for the night.

Having checked out the accommodation the following morning, I made my way to Edgware Road for the bus to the conference venue. When the conference ended in the afternoon, I used the (153 I think) bus to get to Euston station, arriving there just after 17:00. I decided to pick up some provisions from the Sainsbury's store before making the hike ahead of the stampede to Platform 15 for the 17:28 Glasgow Central via ex Trent Valley Railway straight back onboard dud 390112, then making my way back up the road on the bus of which I had a 10 minute or so wait for.

Overall, with me having had the expectation of getting no requirements for haulage due to my straight there and back trip to and from London, I got a required loco and a required half set of the Jubilee Line. Although I kept an open mind about the seats on the new Mk V Sleeper stock, I would not use the seats again for a journey all the way to or from London, as they are not designed for side sleepers.

adrock1976

Established Member
Fife loco hauled set 12 November

As the loco hauled sets that run between Edinburgh Waverley and Fife may be ending in the near future (either the December 2019 or May 2020 timetable change), I would have another attempt at getting 68006 as I already got 007 earlier this year (I missed 006 due to me having mucked up at Inverkeithing when the trains were slightly delayed). As I was already in the centre of Glasgow with my partner this afternoon and she was heading to visit one of her sons, this would be a mini adventure for me and the dog. Being as this is a straightforward out and back trip due to the nights already drawing in and for easier readability, I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold.

385110+114 16:00 Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh Waverley

68006 17:11 Edinburgh Waverley - Dunfermline Town (arrived -5 at 17:54)

170470 18:07 Dunfermline Town - Haymarket

385106+027 18:49 Haymarket - Glasgow Queen Street

320416 19:33 (delayed 4 minutes) Glasgow Queen Street - Barnhill

I have got both of the Scotrail liveried Class 68s, plus a required 3 coach Class 385. I no longer need the Fife loco hauled sets unless any of the non Scotrail liveried pair should ever appear on those sets (I already had 018 and 033 back in 2018, plus I priced the southbound loop at Dalmeny as well).

adrock1976

Established Member
20 December - A brief run to Robroyston

A mini bash on a run from Springburn to the next stop along the line on the 15:03 ex Glasgow Queen Street - Edinburgh on required 385005. Being as I had the dog with me and as the trains are timetabled to pass within a couple of minutes of each other in opposite directions, I had a gentle wander around. Some of the works surrounding the station are incomplete, and although there is road access from the M80 side (Cumbernauld bound), there is no road access from the A80 Cumbernauld Road side (Glasgow bound) at this moment in time but it seems there will be in the near future as can be evident from the Heras fencing across Station Road. The platforms are on stilts (similar to British Rail reopening in the second half of the 1980s) and is unstaffed. There is a large car park on the M80 side with a smaller car park on the Cumbernauld Road side, however both sides appear to have a bus turning circle adjacent to the car parks. There are a few car parking spaces to recharge electric vehicles.

I returned back to Springburn on the 15:40 ex Edinburgh Waverley - Glasgow QS onboard dud 385114.

adrock1976

Established Member
Edinburgh South Sub diversion and pricing bits 28 December

Being as this is my final major trip of 2019, I would be taking advantage of the London Kings Cross - Inverness and Aberdeen diversions via the Edinburgh South Sub once (at the insistence of my partner so as to avoid myself burning out while doing extra help during the recovery from her psychotic breakdown and has recently crashed. The other twin son of my partner will be helping me out today) I have worked out a way to get from Glasgow as there are only a couple of direct Crosscountry trains in each direction to and from Central as the line is closed between Haymarket and Waverley. Again, I would have the dog with me, therefore another adventure which she would be excited about. According to the Fastjp website, by means of me excluding the bus option, this meant that I could travel via Stirling and change to the Inverness - London train there (for some strange reason, it would omit calling at Falkirk Grahamston today even though it is using that route). Furthermore, I had identified an opportunity to grace Platform Zero at Haymarket (used by the Aberdeen and Inverness services, plus the local Inverkeithing) and also to cover the top side of the triangle at Inverkeithing that does not normally see any regular timetabled passenger trains.

After having done dog duties and having had breakfast, it was out of the door just after 09:10 for the walk to Barnhill for the 09:25 Dumbarton Central, onboard dud 334020 for the run to Glasgow Queen Street. It was upstairs to Platform 2 for the 09:50 Alloa and onboard required 385039 for the run to Stirling. Eventually, it was onboard the 14 minutes delayed 10:33 ex Inverness - London Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverley via the South Sub (I already covered this from Slateford Junction back in 2014 or 2015 on the 21:00 Glasgow Central - Waverley Crosscountry) onboard required 800107. The train was held at Newbridge Junction for around 20 minutes due to a signalling fault, but arrived at Waverley at 12:09 (24 minutes behind schedule, but departed at 12:17 which was 17 minutes behind schedule for the onward journey to London).

Making my way to Princes Street, it was to the tram stop for me to finally break my duck with the Edinburgh Trams, it was onboard required 268 for the 2 stop run to Haymarket. It was down to Platform Zero for the 12:46 Inverkeithing local onboard dud pair 170432+404 straight from the depot for the run to Edinburgh Gateway, returning back to Haymarket on a very busy 10 minute delayed 12:57 ex Inverness with dud pair 43177+139 providing the traction. I returned to Waverley via the tram for the 2 stops to Princes Street onboard required 264.

Having had a wander around the Christmas market in Princes Street Gardens, it was to Platform 19 at Waverley station for the 7 minutes delayed 14:16 ex London Kings Cross - Aberdeen and onboard required 800103 for the run to Kirkcaldy via the South Sub, weaving across to the Fife lines just after Haymarket West Junction. After a short fester on the southbound platform, it was onboard the 15:21 ex Arbroath - Dalgety Bay (a false destination as the train would continue to Perth via Dunfermline) on dud 170427 for the run to Rosyth via the top side of the triangle at Inverkeithing (my intention was to bail at Dunfermline Town so as to meet the Arbroath train in the opposite direction, but according to the platform screens at Burntisland and Dalgety Bay, this had been cancelled). With the screen on the opposite platform having the next train cancelled, I consulted the map poster of the local area and it was a straightforward route to walk to Inverkeithing station along Queensferry Road and Admiralty Way. I had reached Inverkeithing station with 25 minutes or so to spare and boarded the 17:05 ex Aberdeen - Doncaster (that I had intended to pick up at Kirkcaldy) for the run to Waverley via the South Sub onboard required 800113.

Having nipped to the lavatory and popping out of the station, it was to Platform 11 for the 18:44 Crosscountry Glasgow Central via Motherwell and onboard dud 220017 for the run back to Glasgow via the South Sub and Carstairs, with me covering the track between Craiglockhart Junction and Slateford Junction (a lot of running time was given between Waverley and Craiglockhart Junction) in that direction having done the opposite direction back in 2014 or 2015. Making my way over to Queen Street for the 20:35 Springburn, it was onboard dud pair 318260+318259 for the run back to Barnhill.

Overall, I have achieved what I had intended to do today regarding diversionary routes and pricing track. I have ticked off a few more Azumas, another 385, plus I have finally broke my duck with the Edinburgh Trams.

adrock1976

Established Member
East Midlands Day Ranger 16 January

As I had my quarterly meeting in London this weekend (which had been moved from December due to the General Election),and with my partner slowly but gradually getting better and insisting on me doing a bashing trip for looking after her (I also intended to stop off in the West Midlands so as to visit my mum as I remained behind to look after my partner over the festive period as she had slumped into a major depressive episode), I decided to have an attempt at reducing my East Midlands requirementsas the former British Rail stock will be withdrawn in the next few years (with the caveat that the new build Intercity stock works and is introduced into service as intended). Having put various arrangements into place for one of my partner’s twin sons to drop round over the weekend to help me out while I am away, and as the maths was not in my favour of split tickets, I settled with a simple Springburn – Highbury & Islington Saver Return. With Serco being their normal incompetent selves having contacted the customer service centre so as to reserve a seat (I must be a masochist) but were unable to do so as were fully booked (hard to believe as there were plenty available when I looked at the website half an hour before I phoned them at around 18:45, also plenty from Dalmuir and Inverkeithing as well – there must be an unadvertised cut off time for reservations, even though the contact centre is open until 20:30), I had decided to just appear at Falkirk Grahamston and explain to the onboard staff. Furthermore, as I would be at Crewe first thing in the morning, this meant that I could score the visit of Yortonas the timings work out better than doing those before the 20:09 ex Euston – Glasgow Central which is the last direct train on Sundays to Fridays. Also, while in the East Midlands and depending on timescales, I would attempt to cover the Robin Hood Line and would see if any required Crosscountry Class 170s are around.

Having set out the previous night just after 23:00 for the short walk to Springburn and picking up the tickets from the machine, it was onboard dud pair 385015+033 on the 23:13 ex Glasgow Queen Street– Falkirk Grahamston for the run to Grahamston. After a 30 minute or so fester it was on the 00:27 ex Inverness – London Euston sleeper with this portion being hauled by required pair 66706+73968 as far as Edinburgh Waverley. Of note and as much I had suspected,there was plenty of room onboard in the seated coach. The train was using Platforms 2 and 19 at Edinburgh Waverley with the electric loco that would be hauling all three coupled portions to London having been spotted was dud 92010. I did manage to get a couple of naps after the train left Edinburgh on schedule at 01:41, with arrival into Platform 6 at Crewe being 15 minutes ahead of schedule at 05:22.

After nipping outside for some fresh air to try to help me wake up slightly and to purchase the East Midlands Day Ranger from the booking office, it was back to Platforms 6 to 11 for a cup of tea from the Upper Crust first before eventually boarding the 05:58 Carmarthen formed of required 175011 for the run to Yorton, where I had scheduled a near 90 minute fester (it could have been shorter, however I would have had to rely on the Crewe – Birmingham International via Shrewsbury running to time arriving 08:13, with the 08:09 ex Llandrindod Wells – Crewe being at least 10 minutes delayed). During the fester, there were some non-stop trains in both directions, plus the 08:13 Birmingham International calling when daylight arrived 15 minutes or so earlier. I returned back to Crewe on the 20 minutes delayed 08:09 ex Llandrindod Wells onboard dud 153333, with no other passengers who boarded the train with me and one with a bicycle alighting. The delay was caused by the Manchester train having broken down at Shrewsbury (which got terminated at Crewe as it was in Platform 8), with the ex Llandrindod having not made up any time (wishful thinking on my part that it may) arriving Crewe Platform 8 20 minutes behind schedule at 09:12, having busted and missed the connection with the 09:07 Derby.

Having had a quick change of garments in the lavatory and having noted various dud Class 350s, I made my way over to Platform 3 for the 10:07 onboard (much to my surprise as it was a pair) dud pair 153385+372 straight to Derby, spotting another dud pair of dogboxes and a dud Class 158 on the other 2 Derby – Crewe diagrams during the journey. I made my way to Nottingham on the 11:40 ex Cardiff Central – Nottingham onboard dud 170518, so as to see what requirements would be around. My first requirement was a Class 158 on the Robin Hood circuit, therefore I decided that this is the chance for me to finally get round to covering the track between Bulwell and Kirkby in Ashfield, plus the right hand side of the triangle between Whitwell and Worksop. I had also decided to tick off the stations north of Mansfield Woodhouse as the frequency along that section is every 60 minutes, with a 30 minute frequency south of there to Nottingham. For easier readability, I have listed the moves below similar to London Underground linear hops with requirements highlighted in bold:

158774 12:26 Nottingham – Worksop and 13:38 Worksop – Langwith-Whaley Thorns

156415 14:12 (5 minutes delayed) Langwith-Whaley Thorns – Creswell and 14:50 Creswell – Shirebrook

156401 15:08 Shirebrook – Whitwell and 15:47 Whitwell – Kirkby in Ashfield

156415 16:19 (4 minutes delayed, hence how I decided to bail here on previous move) Kirkby in Ashfield – Mansfield Woodhouse (Platform 3) and 16:37 Mansfield Woodhouse – Sutton Parkway

158774+153311 16:52 (a few minutes delayed) Sutton Parkway – Mansfield Town

158799 17:10 Mansfield Town – Nottingham (I already knew that the fifth diagram was a dud 156, hence how I have left both Hucknall and Newstead for another time)

As both the 18:12 and 18:45 London St Pancras departures were both dud, and the 18:06 and 18:41 Cardiff and Birmingham New Street departures were also dud Class 170s, I made my way to Leicester on the 18:36 ex Lincoln Central onboard required 158770 calling at the first phase of the Ivanhoe Project stations. I had made my way to Nuneaton on the 19:50 ex Stansted Airport – Birmingham New Street onboard dud 170114. Being as I had a large gap here, I went for a quick wander into town before boarding the 21:00 ex London Euston – Crewe for a run to Atherstone onboard dud 350247. I had a quick walk into town for a pizza, then back to the station for the 21:36 ex Crewe – Northampton onboard dud pair (I could not believe my eyes when I saw the leading 350, as it is always guaranteed to appear wherever I happen to be and cannot escape its clutches) 350401+106 for the run to Long Buckby, having completed both boarding and alighting at Atherstone as I had only previously alighted there back in 2017.

Having made my way to the northbound platform, the 22:08 Crewe via Birmingham was delayed by 12 minutes or so. This was dud, therefore I hung about for my intended 22:31 ex London Euston – Birmingham New Street which I hopped onboard dud 350120 for the run to Rugby and to check in to the Travelodge after picking up some provisions from the Tesco store. It is noted that the accommodation in Atherstone that I had stayed in last time was a bit steep for tonight, hence having done the maths it worked out cheaper and would position myself for tomorrow morning to alight at a one train per day station near Tamworth, as I have previously boarded at it back in 2017.

Overall, I am happy with today’s efforts in that I have finally managed to get round to covering the required bits of track along the Robin Hood Line plus scoring all but two of the stations. I have also scored Yorton, meaning that I have done the request stops between Crewe and Shrewsbury and only require Wem. I have also made a small dent towards reducing my East Midlands former British Rail requirements, however I have not seem to have done so well with the 350s and the Crosscountry 170s today (I only require 4 to clear the fleet).

Stay tuned for the reports of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A most productive time there, despite the number of duds. At least by getting those shacks out of the way there can be more focus on the winners when they do eventually pop up though, so I guess that's not such a bad thing.

Certainly the next lot of reports are looked forward to :)

adrock1976

Established Member
West Midlands Region tidy up session and onwards to London 17 January

After having had a reasonably good night sleep, it was an early rise and out of the door just after 06:10 for the very short walk to Rugby station. Making my way to the northbound face of the island platform it was a short wait for the slightly delayed 06:22 ex Northampton – Crewe via Nuneaton where it was onboard dud 350376 for the run to Polesworth. It is noted that I had already boarded here back in 2017, and this time I would be alighting here. Unsurprisingly, I was the only passenger who left the train here, with nobody at all boarding. Having walked to the bus stop along Station Road near to the Nethersole Street/Elizabeth Avenue junction, I did not have that long to wait for the 65 that was due at 07:08 to take me to Tamworth, with me arriving there at 07:25.

Being as I had a bit of a gap for my next moves towards Birmingham, I had a quick wander around town before heading to the station with my first port of call being to get some tea. I had decided to see what was on the 08:03 Cardiff to see if there was a remote possibility of anything required (I require 4 of the XC Class 170s) as I had identified a linear hop I could do if it was required. Soon after arriving upstairs on the platform, it was dud 170111+ required 170117 that took me on a bus stop style linear hop to Wilnecote, where almost 30 minutes later it was on the 08:34 Birmingham New Street onboard dud 170102 for the run to Water Orton, finally scoring this station at long last. Around 20 minutes later, it was on the 09:04 Leicester for another bus stop style run to Coleshill Parkway onboard required 170103, with me heading to Birmingham 20 minutes or so later on the 09:25 onboard required 170107. It is noted that I only require 101 from the XC fleet, and I would like to mention that rather surprisingly, I have never had any of the XC 170s on a Birmingham New Street – University run, and of the stations that are only served by the XC 170s and not the Voyagers, I still require the visits of Melton Mowbray, Oakham, and Stamford.

Having made my way upstairs to purchase the West Midlands Daytripper (the old MidLine Day Ranger of which I purchased a couple of those back in 1988/89) with the extension as I felt like a run to Rugeley Town. It was back downstairs to Platform 1 for the 09:57 ex Wolverhampton – Walsall for a run to Tame Bridge Parkway onboard dud 350255, finally scoring this station at long last. Having checked the screen, the Rugeley Trent Valley was running 10 minutes behind schedule and as every second Rugeley TV train has been tacked onto the London trains, this section of the route has been susceptible to cancellations in recent times since the May 2019 timetable changes. Also as there were heavy showers, I decided to not bother with the Rugeley run and switched to the opposite platform to await the return of 350255 on the 10:39 Wolverhampton for the short run to Hamstead. I went back to Tame Bridge on the slightly delayed 10:43 Walsall onboard dud 350246, having completed both boarding and alighting at Hamstead (I think I only alighted here back in 1989, but definitely did not do both back then), with me heading straight to Birmingham New Street via Soho on the 5 minutes delayed 10:55 ex Rugeley TV onboard dud 350107. It appears that I am not having much luck with the 350s so far.

Before making my way to my mum’s, I decided to have a short spell on the Midland Metro trams. I made my way to the stop on Corporation Street to hop onboard required 22 for a run to St Paul’s, returning to Bull Street onboard required 37. The short run to St Chads was next onboard dud 35, with me having just missed a tram in the opposite direction, it was a 6 or 7 minute wait for the next one. Although I could have walked to Snow Hill station, I did not feel like wading my through the various building works at ground level, therefore I headed back to Corporation Street onboard required 25. Walking to Snow Hill station via the Great Western Arcade (something I have not done for a good number of years), it was soon on the 12:13 Great Malvern for the run to Cradley Heath onboard dud pair 172336+172003. I waled up to the High Street to take the 18 bus to my mum’s.

After spending some time at my mum’s, I made my way to London via Birmingham by means of taking the 19 bus to Haden Cross for the short walk along Beauty Bank and Station Road to Old Hill station. I seem to recall that I have alighted from a train here on a couple of rare occasions back in 1989 in the days of the 247A/248A bus that used to run along Station Road, and also in the days when the trains were Class 115/116s, but do not ever recall ever having boarded a train here. Around five to ten minutes later, it was on the 18:36 Whitlocks End onboard dud pair 172219+213 for the run to Birmingham Snow Hill.

Making my way to New Street station via St Phillips Cathedral and Temple Street so as to pick up some provisions from the Tesco store at the junction of New Street, it was over and down to Platform 4 for the 19:30 London Euston, with me boarding dud (expected as I only require 042 to clear the 390s) 390046 for the run straight to Euston. I had a walk over to Euston Square station to let a dud Metropolitan train go before boarding dud 21045+046 for the run straight to Paddington (Bishops Bridge Road), then making my way to Platform 14 for the 21:57 Didcot Parkway onboard dud pair 387162+166 for the run to Hayes & Harlington. I walked along Station Road and Shepiston Lane to check in to the Shepiston Lodge and settle down for the night.

Overall, I seemed to have had better luck with the XC Class 170s as I only require one to clear the XC fleet (170101), but no luck with any of the Class 350s. I have also done both boarding and alighting at Polesworth, Hamstead, and Old Hill where I had only previously boarded or alighted, plus have finally got round to scoring Water Orton and Tame Bridge Parkway after 32 and 28/29 years respectively.

Stay tuned for the Saturday and Sunday reports.

adrock1976

Established Member
Hunt for 332s 18 January

With me having had a reasonable night’s sleep and after getting ready, I had set off after breakfast at around 09:10 for the walk to Hayes & Harlington station for the 09:34 ex Heathrow T4 – Paddington onboard dud 360203. Switching to the Underground, it was on a southbound Bakerloo to Oxford Circus on dud 3250+ required 3537, then a northbound Victoria Line to Highbury & Islington on dud 11085+086. I made my way to the meeting venue via a short bus ride along Holloway Road.

After the meeting had ended and having had a quick post meeting session in the Coronet (Arsenal were hosting Sheffield United at Ashburton Grove, therefore both Holloway Road and Drayton Park stations would be closed, with Highbury & Islington being very busy as it was nearly full time when the meeting ended), I eventually made my way to Paddington via the Victoria Line and Bakerloo Line as per this morning in reverse, onboard dud 11081+11082 (Vic) and dud 3541+ required 3264 (Bak). My mission was to see if any of my final three Class 332s (005, 008, and 012) would be on the Heathrow Express. Being as it is Saturday, the five diagrams mainly appear to be single units, therefore a greater chance of all five being dud. I chose this option as I did think about venturing south of the Thames, but there seemed to have been lots of engineering works taking place affecting most of the routes from the southside termini. Having observed that the 17:40 and 17:55 were both dud (both Platforms 6+7 were being used for HX), I hung around for the incoming arrival for the 18:10, which was one of my requirements. The subsequent 18:25 and 18:40 were both dud.

Deciding not to let that one slip away as the 332s are planned to be withdrawn from service in the near future and replaced with the green Class 387s (130 to 141, which I have had all of them for haulage, and I only require five to clear the GW fleet), I knew that it would be back at Paddington for the 19:25 Heathrow T5. Having picked up something light from the Sainsbury’s store, I made my way over to Platform 14 for the 18:57 Didcot Parkway for a run to Hayes & Harlington onboard dud pair 387144+163, switching to the 19:24 Heathrow T4 onboard dud 360203 for the run to Heathrow Central. Ten minutes later, the 19:41 T5 rolled in and as confirmed it was required 332012 which I took a run to T5 and back, gricing Platform 3 in the process too (I have always had Platform 4 on previous times I have been here). I returned to Ealing Broadway on the 20:28 Paddington onboard dud 360205, before returning back to Hayes & Harlington on the 21:05 Didcot Parkway onboard dud pair 387146+147. I then went back to the accommodation and ordered a takeaway pizza online and had it delivered. I settled down for the evening afterwards.

Stay tuned for Sunday’s installment.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Your midlands accounts interested me being from the area myself, I have a couple of tricky stations to tick off in the near future, both of which I have a plan for, one being Polesworth and the other Elton and Orston.

Coincidentally 170101 is also my last XC 170 and as they are fairly local to me I expect to stumble upon it at some stage so I'm not really trying, but it would still be nice to get it!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some very productive days in there, despite the lack of 350 scores. Very good fortune with the 170s though, so it's not all bad. Nice work on the 332 as well, I think there's still a few months to go until the silver 387s will be able to go to Heathrow. Like you however, I've had my farewell to the class. Only need 001 to clear them, since 014's not coming back. I might have had 014 many years ago before I actually logged stuff properly, but who knows, it is what it is after all.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Your midlands accounts interested me being from the area myself, I have a couple of tricky stations to tick off in the near future, both of which I have a plan for, one being Polesworth and the other Elton and Orston.

Coincidentally 170101 is also my last XC 170 and as they are fairly local to me I expect to stumble upon it at some stage so I'm not really trying, but it would still be nice to get it!

Two tricky stations, probably Polesworth is the more tricky in terms of only being once a day, but has advantage of bus services to allow you to escape. Elton & Orston is one to be done in the summer months for it be a walk along an unlit country road to Bottlesford (although I believe there is some bus moves possible, but not the best times)

adrock1976

Established Member
Central Line lucky dip and homeward bound 19 January

Being as the sub group meeting that I am involved in was not taking place today and having held it yesterday lunchtime, I had offered to my partner to return home earlier but she had insisted to me that I should do some London Underground bashing as I never had the chance to much the last time I was in London back in October 2019. Having checked out of the accommodation and as there was a bus approaching when I reached the junction of Station Road, I hopped on the U4 to the station. I had decided upon a Central Line lucky dip (the trains are formed of 4 sets of 2 cars coupled together, which can change as required) being as I could reach the start of one of the branches easily. It was soon onboard the 10:38 Paddington for the run to Ealing Broadway onboard dud pair 387141+161, switching to the Central Line here. As I would be doing linear hops eastwards until I run out of steam, I have listed the moves below with requirements highlighted in bold.

91115+92070+92454+91223 Ealing Broadway – West Acton and Wanstead – Liverpool St
91179+92124+92074+91047 West Acton – North Acton
91347+92412+92094+91005 North Acton – East Acton
91053+92092+92098+91285 East Acton – White City
91009+92096+92014+91177 White City – Shepherd’s Bush
91247+92042+92256+91305 Shepherd’s Bush – Holland Park
91023+92128+92010+91027 Holland Park – Notting Hill Gate
91131+92030+92236+91087 Notting Hill Gate – Queensway
91029+92048+92052+91147 Queensway – Lancaster Gate
91213+92118+92264+91081 Lancaster Gate – Marble Arch
91243+92172+92016+91171 Marble Arch – Bond Street
91093+92424+92248+91151 Bond Street – Oxford Circus
91039+92224+92406+91159 Oxford Circus – Tottenham Court Road
91073+92440+92148+91277 Tottenham Court Road – Holborn
91139+92084+92006+91195 Holborn – Chancery Lane
91301+92158+92036+91013 Chancery Lane – St Paul's
91253+92082+92250+91289 St Paul's – Bank
91309+92434+92402+91067 Bank – Liverpool Street
91207+92450+92166+91255 Liverpool Street – Bethnal Green
91307+92122+92024+91091 Bethnal Green – Mile End
91135+92438+92038+91143 Mile End – Stratford
91117+92244+92190+91133 Stratford – Leyton
91233+92240+92154+91121 Leyton – Leytonstone
91265+92420+92456+91129 Leytonstone – Wanstead

Having returned to Liverpool Street from Wanstead on the exact same set I had for my first move from Ealing Broadway earlier on, I nipped out for a very gentle stroll to the Tesco store along Bishopsgate Street taking my time gently back to the Underground. With me just missing a dud westbound Hammersmith train, it was onboard dud 21561+562 for the run straight to Euston Square. As I still had some of my allotted time left, I decided to head north via Birmingham to see if there was anything that was required there.

I made my way to Platform 4 for the 14:20 Birmingham New Street, onboard dud 221114 for that part of the run. Switching to Platform 6b so as to see what was on the 15:57 Manchester Piccadilly, I was rewarded with required 221139 for a run to Stafford. Ten minutes or so later, I made my way to Crewe on the 16:38 Liverpool Lime Street onboard dud pair 350250+258 (I did mention the previous few days that I am not having any luck with the 350s), then northbound on the 17:09 ex London Euston – Edinburgh onboard dud 390001. My intention was to bail at Preston for the 18:11 ex Manchester Airport – Glasgow Central, but this had been cancelled and would start from Carlisle instead after checking online. Having bailed at Carlisle, it was on the 19:18 Glasgow Central onboard required 397003 meaning that I have broke my duck with the new Transpennine fleet, with the 397s feeling like a proper Intercity train rather than a Regional Express. I made my way back home up the road on the bus.

Overall, I am happy with the Central Line lucky dip with me having scored 50 requirements, plus me getting a required XC 221, and having broke my duck with the Class 397s. It appeared to be the wrong week for me regarding getting any of my required Class 350s though.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A productive session on the central line, not the easiest to linear hop on due to needing active to grab the numbers of the sets when they roll in

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Broke my duck is not an expression I'm familiar with, I must confess. I'm sure I can hazard a guess as to its meaning of course.

Well done on starting on the 397s, something I will hopefully do eventually myself. As for your Central line session, that was quite a clearout, very impressive. One must make an effort to get my 92ers needs down a bit more next time I'm there, although my next London visit is pretty much just mandatory moves to/from airports and hotels.

adrock1976

Established Member
I have not posted on this thread for a while.

Tidy up session East of Scotland July and September 2020
Preamble

As some of you may be aware, my location under my username is now Cumbernauld having relocated there from Springburn earlier on this year. There were several factors that made me want to leave Springburn with them being me having fell off the ladder while trying to remove wallpaper when I had a sharp shooting pain in my chest and also would sometimes fall to the floor after coming back with bags of groceries from Tesco. Furthermore, there was a drug dealer in the next building who recently got booted out that lead to a rise in anti-social behaviour, with in the buildings opposite there were a couple of heroin addicts who would have their former cronies yelling at them in the street that they would give one of them a doing in the morning with all this carry on happening at 23:00, 01:00, 02:00 or thereabouts. The final straw came when one time I was out with the dog playing with the ball that when I launched it forwards, there were some discarded syringes with hypodermic needles that had been left at the end of the pavement near the football pitches. Of note, both Springburn and neighbouring Possilpark now have the dubious honour of having the highest amount of drug related deaths in the UK since 2018 according to a report in the Glasgow Evening Times rag.

I have subsequently had a referral to a cardiologist and had a first test at Stobhill Hospital not long before I left Springburn, and had a second test at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary where I had iodine injected in me as part of the preparation for me being connected to a machine while I had exposure to gamma radiation. Those tests confirmed that I have angina, and I am still prescribed Simvastatin to as to reduce cholestrol and aspirin to reduce blood pressure. I have also been prescribed a sublingual spray to use if I get any chest pains.

I had searched online for flats to rent and having narrowed down the options, my first preference was the flat I am now residing in, which Lady Luck was with me that day. It is north of the M80 with it being a 10 minute walk to the Craiglinn Roundabout for various buses (including First Glasgow X3) and also a 15 to 20 minute walk from Croy railway station. As the lounge and bedroom both face south, they can get warm during the day and as the building is brick with roughcasting, it holds the heat better when compared with a sandstone tenement building.

Carnoustie and Golf Street 14 July

Being as lockdown restrictions are eased and with the weather being pleasant, I decided to have a simple trip with me thinking that when I attempted both Carnoustie and Golf Street in that order in May 2019 but could not do that as the train had been cancelled (I would have had very large gaps at Arbroath and Stirling if I went for the second train of the day that calls at Golf Street), I would have another go at this today. It is noted that I had done these the other way round back in 2017 by alighting Golf Street and walking along Links Parade to Carnoustie.

Having set out just after 14:40 with the dog and various provisions for the gentle stroll to Croy station, I purchased the tickets from the machine and as I would be returning the same route, this meant that I could get the day returns Croy – Perth and Perth – Golf Street. Due to the timetable still being thinned out slightly which during the lockdown, the Edinburgh trains via Falkirk High were calling at all stations except Edinburgh Park every 60 minutes, with the other Edinburgh train omitting Bishopbriggs and Lenzie. The Stirling/Alloa trains were running every 60 minutes instead of the normal 30 minute frequency, hence how journey planners were allowing a doubleback via Glasgow Queen Street for stations north of Stirling and Perth. First up it was onboard required 385019 that was on the 15:13 ex Alloa – Glasgow QS calling Lenzie and Bishopbriggs to Queen Street, then switching to the 15:39 Aberdeen for the run to Carnoustie onboard dud 170406.

I had a gentle stroll along the beach gradually towards the direction of the golf course before continuing along Links Parade to Golf Street station. Around 15 minutes or so later it was onboard dud 170430 that was on the 18:12 ex Glasgow Queen Street – Arbroath for the run to the train’s terminus point with me having invoked the official doubleback easement. I returned home on the 18:37 ex Aberdeen – Glasgow Queen Street as far as Stirling with dud pair 43032+134 that were on the HST, crossing over the bridge to the Kincardine side for the 19:55 ex Alloa – Glasgow QS (which was still the last southbound Glasgow train) onboard dud 385114 for the run back to Croy.

Although I never expected to get any requirements for haulage as apart from the 385s I have very little in Scotland, I took advantage of the good weather to have completed both boarding and alighting at Carnoustie and Golf Street. I am gradually completing the boarding and alighting stations between Stevenage and Inverurie, with ones I have yet to do are between Alexandra Palace and Stevenage, plus Balmossie and Barry Links.

adrock1976

Established Member
A run to Cardenden via Kincardine 23 August

While I was thinking of a plan to tick of the Fife stations along the route via Dunfermline (I require Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly, and Cardenden with the latter two having a frequency of every 60 minutes daily whereas Cowdenbeath – Rosyth is broadly every 30 minutes on Mondays to Saturdays), I realised that rather than going to Haymarket or Edinburgh Waverley to come back out again, I could get the St Andrews, Dundee, or Kirkcaldy Stagecoach bus from the town centre in Cumbernauld with the journey time being broadly similar to the train. After playing around with the timetables, I decided that I could do a quick out and back run on the train from Dunfermline Queen Margaret to Cardenden (as quick as it can be for a Sunday).

I had set out just after 11:40 for the short walk to the bus stop opposite the flat where there was a short wait for the 403A to the town centre. Having arrived at the town centre, I had noticed that the 11:45 X27 to Kirkcaldy had broken down as one of the windscreen wipers had failed. The driver had arranged to source a spare part from the Carbrain garage (used to be First Glasgow for their X2-5 and the 36 routes but transferred to Stagecoach when First pulled out only leaving the X3 now operated from Caledonia Road). It was not long before my intended 12:15 X24 arrived, with the passengers on the broken down X27 transferring across.

The route from the town centre was via the A8011 to Old Inns to join the M80, then diverging not far from Haggs to join the weird M876. If you ask how on earth is the M876 is weird, this is because it is in two sections – not a section of a standard dual carriageway that has not been upgraded like the M8 was for years between Baillieston and Newhouse, but that it borrows nearly 2 miles of the M9 – a totally different motorway running on a different axis. After reaching Kincardine-on-Forth, the bus continued along the A985 via Valleyfield to the roundabout at Cairneyhill, then the A994 via Crosshill to Dunfermline bus station. Having soon passed East End Park (the home of Dunfermline Athletic FC) the railway bridge along Halbeath Road soon came into view and I alighted from the bus there.

After walking to Queen Margaret station, there was around a 15 minute wait for the 13:32 ex Edinburgh – Glenrothes with Thornton loop train before hopping onboard as expected dud 170470 for the run to Cardenden. Having switched platforms as there were heavy showers and around 30 minutes later, it was back to Queen Margaret onboard dud 170396 that was on the 14:22 Edinburgh. I made my way to the bus stop on Halbeath Road for the X27 that was due at 14:53 for the run back to Cumbernauld town centre, switching to the 403A that was due at 16:10 for the run back home arriving around 20 minutes later.

I have managed to get one of the 60 minute frequency stations on the Dunfermline loop out of the way – one which I had intended to get when chasing after the former loco hauled sets but failed due to delays.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good news with getting those limited served stations on Tayside done plus one of the hourly stations on the inner Fife loop involving use of buses

adrock1976

Established Member
Fauldhouse and Breich 17 September

Being as I was under orders to do a bashing trip as I have done very little this year due to the coronavirus pandemic, both my partner and both of her twin sons had insisted to dog sit for a few days while they were off work. Again I decided to keep things simple and to stick with remaining in Scotland as the North West and North East/Yorkshire regions have some lockdowns. As Breich has trains that call there every 60 minutes rather than twice daily on Mondays to Saturdays, I would have a run out there. I had set out just after 11:40 for the walk to Croy station to board the 12:12 ex Alloa to Glasgow Queen Street onboard required 385044, then making my way to Central for the 12:42 Paisley Canal onboard dud 380016, returning later to Central on the same train that was on the 16:05 Canal – Central.

I made my way over to Platform 3 for the 16:47 Edinburgh Waverley via Shotts limited stop service for the run to West Calder onboard dud 385041 with the train having a 7-8 minute layover at Shotts. It was over to the westbound platform for the 17:57 ex Edinburgh – Glasgow Central all stations service for a run to Fauldhouse onboard dud 385014. I had a walk via the former Longridge railway path to Breich (I did this walk the opposite way round back a few years ago), having just made the 19:05 ex Glasgow Central – Edinburgh for the run to Haymarket onboard dud 385004.

Due to the flooding at Polmont, the Edinburgh – Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High trains were split into two sections running Waverley – Linlithgow and Falkirk Grahamston – Queen Street with a bus linking Grahamston and Linlithgow. It was onboard dud pair 385113+119 that was on the 19:49 ex Waverley to Linlithgow and rather than hanging around unnecessary for the rail replacement bus, I hopped onboard the First X28 to take me to Falkirk via the A803 having beaten the replacement bus. With me having a gentle walk past the side of the Asda store to Grahamston station for around a 20 minute wait, it was eventually onboard dud 385124 that was on the 21:02 Glasgow Queen Street for the run back to Croy.

adrock1976

Established Member
Fife and a run to Balmossie 19 September

As the weather was pleasant today, I decided to tick off the remaining station visits in Fife, plus I would also have a run to Balmossie as I could do that on a linear hop to Monifieth rather than Arbroath (the line is closed between Arbroath and Aberdeen due to the derailment and with the Glasgow – Aberdeen trains being curtailed at Dundee, the replacement bus timings do not work out very well as the bus arrives Dundee not long after the 19:49 Glasgow train has departed. Being as I require very little for haulage with the exception of the 385s, I am not expecting to get any required diesel trains that are common in Fife and Dundee (I require 3 Inverness 158s, 43033, and 43130, and of the Sleeper locos, 3 x 73s and 5 x 92s). Furthermore, by travelling via Falkirk Grahamston and the bus to Linlithgow to pick up the train there, this means that I can grice the crossover from Platform 2 heading in the Edinburgh direction.

It was out of the door just after 11:00 for the walk to Croy station to pick up the 11:26 Falkirk Grahamston onboard dud pair 385010+016. Walking past the Asda store into town, I had around a 10 minute wait or so before boarding the X38 to Linlithgow. Having arrived on Platform 2, it was onboard dud pair 385107+108 that was on the 12:42 Edinburgh Waverley for the run to Haymarket, with me having griced the crossover at the Edinburgh end of the platform at Linlithgow.

At Haymarket, it was over to the opposite face of the island platform for the 13:15 Glenrothes with Thornton via Kirkcaldy onboard dud 170415 for a linear hop to North Queensferry, continuing around 12 to 15 minutes later on the 13:37 Cowdenbeath onboard dud 170401 straight to its terminus. Having had a wander to the Morrisons store to pick up a meal deal, it was back to the station for the 14:35 loop train onboard dud 158711 for a Fife style bus stop bash along to Lochgelly, then returning to Inverkeithing on the 14:55 Edinburgh onboard dud 170406 having completed both Lochgelly and Cardenden where the frequency is every 60 minutes rather than every 30 minutes with the other stations.

It was not long before the 15:31 Glenrothes via Kirkcaldy rolled in where I hopped onboard dud 158714 for a run to Kinghorn, then having another Fife style bus stop bash on the 16:06 Edinburgh onboard dud 170452 to Burntisland. Having completed the Fife stations it was now time to concentrate north of the Tay first with a linear hop to Kirkcaldy on the 16:16 Glenrothes onboard dud 170415, then on the 16:40 ex Edinburgh – Arbroath onboard dud 170406 for the run to Broughty Ferry. After nipping to the convenience store to pick up a snack, it was on the 18:00 ex Glasgow Queen Street – Arbroath onboard dud 170450 for a Tayside style bus stop bash to Balmossie for around a 30 minute wait for the next train.

Being as the timings do not work out well with the replacement buses due to the line closure between Arbroath and Stonehaven following the derailment, it was another Tayside style bus stop bash on the 18:40 ex Edinburgh – Arbroath onboard dud 170427 along to Monifieth, then heading back south just over 15 minutes later on the 19:00 ex Arbroath – Dundee onboard as expected the return of 170450. Around 30 minutes later, it was over to Platform 3 for the 19:49 Glasgow Queen Street onboard dud 170394 to Stirling having griced Platform 3 at Dundee. It was not long before returning to Croy on the 20:54 ex Alloa – Glasgow QS onboard required 385043+ dud 008 arriving Croy at 21:12 with me being back home around 20 minutes later.

Although I had no diesel requirements for haulage today as expected, I have completed all of the Fife station visits, plus I have bagged Balmossie too which leaves me Barry Links remaining. The stations I require between Alexandra Palace and Stevenage I can easily do those when in London as I have yet to have the recently introduced Class 717s. Also, I have scored a couple of grices today with the Platform 2 crossover at Linlithgow and Platform 3 at Dundee.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This reply is to unlock the thread to enable @adrock to post an update

adrock1976

Established Member
One from 2020 I thought I had already posted, but never did.

North Highland adventure 21 and 22 September 2020

While I was deciding where to go for a trip, I had settled upon the North Highlands as there were various restrictions both sides of the Pennines. This meant that I could tackle some of the request stops and tick off all the stations north of Helmsdale, plus it would also enable me to have a go at seeing if I could get any of my remaining three Inverness based Class 158s for haulage (701, 710, and 716). Having booked the Muthul Royal Hotel in Thurso for an overnight stay (I also had the cheaper option of the backpackers hostel, but due to my cardiac problems I was not going to chance it in case I would be allocated a top bunk and fall off the ladder if I was to get chest pains as what had happened to me at my old flat when I was attempting to strip wallpaper), this would allow me to fit in the visit of Forsinard on a linear hop southbound. Also, owing to the bus timings from the A9 junction at Georgemas for a short hop to Halkirk plus the walking time to Scotscalder not working out well in that direction (I did that the opposite way round back in 2017), I would build in the visits of both so as to have both alighted and boarded a train at both of those stations meaning that I would not have to go north of Helmsdale in the future.

Day 1 – Outward bound to Thurso 21 September

Having got some provisions the previous day as onboard catering has been suspended, and also having make some flasks of tea (I still have my blue Thermos flask that my mum got me for my birthday back in 1989) and checking that I have packed my medication, it was out of the door just after 06:40 for the gentle walk to Croy station reaching the Edinburgh bound platform around 20 minutes later, with the ticket machines out of order. I had took a snapshot of it if I happen to be questioned as the 07:05 Alloa would be due in a couple of minutes. I had hopped onboard dud pair 385019+008 for a run to Larbert, where I was able to collect the tickets from the machine there. As I can now relax, it was soon onboard dud 385105 that was on the 07:21 ex Edinburgh – Dunblane for the run to the train’s terminus, continuing seven minutes later to Inverness on the 07:35 ex Glasgow Queen Street that had dud pair 43026+035 with me opting for coach 42072.

Upon arrival at Inverness and having spotted 66783+73967 that had worked the sleeper from Edinburgh, it was over to Platform 6 for the 10:41 Wick. I hopped onboard dud 158702 for the lengthy run to the request stop of Scotscalder, doing this exact trip as back in 2017. Having arrived at Scotscalder at 14:05, I went for a very gentle wander northwards along the country lane and turned off down a track towards Loch Olginey admiring the views there. Having made my way back to the station arriving at around 16:00 or thereabouts, I tucked in to some provisions and had some tea (which was still hot) while awaiting the return of 158702 that was due at 16:50. My next port of call was by means of a Highland style bus stop bash (or thumbing a lift owing to no buses for a good number of miles around) south to another request stop at Altnabreac, having awarded Scotscalder full marks for both boarding and alighting.

While admiring the station environs which had a disused platform and water tower on the former northbound side, and on the platform in use there is a gigantic Invernet passenger information screen which was not functioning (and I cannot fathom out why it was installed here), this was a very short wait of twenty minutes compared with the previous stop at Scotscalder before required 158701 arrived on the 17:20 Wick (meaning that I will be meeting this train again at some point in the morning due to overnighting at Wick) for the run to Thurso arriving half an hour later. Having checked in to the accommodation, I went for a wander to the Tesco store to pick up some provisions for tomorrow before settling down for the rest of the evening.

Day 2 – Wick, Flow Country, request stops, and homeward bound 22 September

After having had a good night’s sleep, it was an early rise not long after 05:30 for me to get showered, dressed, and make flasks of tea and pack things away, with me checking out just after 06:30 for the 10 minute or so walk to the station, waiting in the shed as it was light drizzle. The first southbound train was due at 06:50 and it was onboard dud 158708 for a run to Forsinard. Being as I had plenty of time for the next southbound train that was due one and three-quarters hour later at 09:13, I had a very gentle wander down past the former Forsinard Hotel that now seems to be crumbling apart before heading over the opposite side of the track and along a wooden footpath to the observation tower.

As the weather was starting to turn showery, I made my way back to the station around 30 minutes before the train was due. It is noted that the next two departures southbound after the 09:13 are timetabled to pass the middle two out of four northbound trains here at the same time, hence how I was doing a linear hop that involved an early start. It was onboard as expected now dud 158701 for a run to the request stop of Kildonan (this southbound train is timetabled to pass the first northbound at Helmsdale), walking to the nearby bridge over the Kildonan Burn listening to the flow of water for a short while being as I had 25 minutes between trains, plus a pair of grumpy dogs in the nearby cottage. Very soon after returning to the platform for the 09:59 Wick, it was onboard dud 158712 for the run to Wick, with me alighting at Georgemas Junction while the train went to Thurso and back so as to give that full marks for having boarded (which I did back in 2017) and alighting here, while admiring and visualising how the Thurso and Wick portions coupled and uncoupled back in the days of loco hauled stock.

Having had a wander round town with the showers having eased off slightly, it was back to the station to re-board 158712 that was on the 13:34 Inverness for a run to the request stop of Rogart via Thurso. During the 60 minute wait here, I had spotted the collection of historical railway signage and the former signalbox that appears to be a form of accommodation, alongside with some coaches nearby. My last mission before heading back home was a run on required 158710 that was on the 7 minutes delayed 15:58 Wick for a run to the final request stop of the day to Kinbrace. Twenty minutes later, it was onboard dud 158718 that was on the 5 minutes delayed 17:20 ex Wick for the run straight to Inverness, with the guard asking me if I was connecting at Inverness with me mentioning Stirling. Fortunately, the train arrived into Inverness on time at 20:10, and having spotted 800102 in Platform 2 that arrived from London Kings Cross and 66783+73967 that are on the sleeper in Platform 1, it was over to Platform 3 for the 20:16 Glasgow Queen Street to board much to my surprise 158701 (that I have now had for the third time in the last couple of days) for the run to Stirling, arriving 7 minutes behind schedule due to being held at Kincraig Loop for a late northbound Inverness to pass. It was over to Platform 9 on the Kincardine side for the 23:33 ex Alloa and onboard dud 385105 for the run back to Croy, with me arriving home and being back in the door just before 00:15.

Overall, I managed to get two out of three required Inverness based 158s, which leaves me with 716 to have cleared the 158s in the Scotrail fleet. Also, I have visited all of the stations north of Helmsdale, meaning that I can concentrate on the ones south of there to Dingwall in the future. Also, at Forsinard and all of the request stops, not surprisingly I was the only passenger who boarded or alighted at them.

*** I will have a report from the first trip of 2021 coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.