• Dear Guest, and welcome to RailUK Forums. Our non-railway discussion forums are currently restricted until members have five or more posts, and you will not be able to make a new thread or reply to an existing one in this section until you have made five or more posts elsewhere on the forum.

Adulting GCSE: Things that should be mandatory to learn in school

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
In this thread, I made a comment that learning how to wire a plug should be taught to everyone as part of a theoretical Adulting GCSE. What else should be on the syllabus?

Basic life skills that everyone really should be taught, but unfortunately many don't know how to do.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Established Member
Managing Finances
Cooking and nutrition
Basic DIY
Gardening (great stress buster)

My oldest is currently learning about Vikings, and youngest about Tudors in the best possible way they are both subjects that I haven’t needed to know in adult life

RichT54

Learn how to protect the environment, including not throwing trash everywhere.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Critical thinking

Learn how to protect the environment, including not throwing trash everywhere.

Learning that when you throw something in the bin, it doesn't magically disappear. It is either recycled or goes to landfill.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I did think of changing a car tire, but not everyone drives. Make that part of the driving test.

We should not normalise car ownership.

We should educate use of public transport, and make car ownership (purely as a status symbol) look weird.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In this thread, I made a comment that learning how to wire a plug should be taught to everyone as part of a theoretical Adulting GCSE. What else should be on the syllabus?

Basic life skills that everyone really should be taught, but unfortunately many don't know how to do.
Teaching people that using words like “adulting” shouldn’t be allowed?

nlogax

Established Member
Money management and everything under that umbrella,

- Credit cards
- Budgeting
- How renting works
- How overdrafts and debt work

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I was taught how to wire a plug in Physics, and so was my daughter. Is this not normal?

Things that should be taught to everyone at school:

Basic economics / social economics
How to manage personal finances (it’s astonishing how many people don’t know how to do this)
Hygiene in the home (aka cleaning)
The principle that if something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Lucan

How to recognise a scam (see other threads - a major modern problem).
Handling Sellotape.

PeterC

Established Member
Open a bank account, manage home finances, change a car spare wheel, mend a bicycle puncture.

i’m sure there are loads more
One problem is that you put skills into the syllabus and they become fosilised. Knowing how to change a wheel isn't that useful when the car comes with a bottle of tyre sealant instead of a spare wheel.

My schooling taught me the most important basic skill which has allowed me to keep up with changes - how to RTFM.

Since then I have changed both tyres and plugs and done many other things which were unheard of in the 60s

RTFM - Read the ****ing manual

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
RTFM - Read the ****ing manual

You need to keep up with the changes.

RTFM has long since replaced with COYT - Check on YouTube.

I’ve repaired quite a few things using this technique - none of were explained in the manual.

SS4

Established Member
It's been a while since I've been to school so forgive me if these are taught

Critical thinking, especially when it comes to how to recognise misinformation and disinformation

Financial literacy including saving, investing and how to pay off debt most efficiently.

How employment and self employment work - at least in theory so kids know their rights and know how an interview works and how to behave at work

Question is how do you get these ideas put into practice? You'll probably have to extend the school day or move something else out of the curriculum but what?

Calthrop

Established Member
Question is how do you get these ideas put into practice? You'll probably have to extend the school day or move something else out of the curriculum but what?

My oldest is currently learning about Vikings, and youngest about Tudors in the best possible way they are both subjects that I haven’t needed to know in adult life
Re my bolding above: start with those chaps...?

GB

Established Member
Is Home Economics not a thing in school any more? That covered some of what has been suggested.

RT4038

Established Member
We should not normalise car ownership.

We should educate use of public transport, and make car ownership (purely as a status symbol) look weird.
So says the unbiased person who makes a living from public transport.

So how about learning the skills of how to cope when public transport lets you down, or (more likely) doesn't go conveniently to the place you want to go at the departure and journey time that you want.

steamybrian

Established Member
Exercise and sport particular emphasis on swimming.
How to read a map (without a computer).

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Is Home Economics not a thing in school any more? That covered some of what has been suggested.
It is, generally known as Food Technology and Nutrition.

Financial literacy including saving, investing and how to pay off debt most efficiently.

How employment and self employment work - at least in theory so kids know their rights and know how an interview works and how to behave at work

These things are taught, via PSHE, within the general curriculum and days when the regular timetable is collapsed.

Map reading is on the Geography curriculum at KS3 and GCSE, all with traditional OS maps

Surprised no one has mentioned basic first aid.

Gloster

Established Member
Politeness and only to use swear words when you really need to.

i am probably showing my age, but if you swear all the time what outlet have you got when really need it. And do shop staff like being asked, “Where’s the f’s the fg bread?”

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Politeness and only to use swear words when you really need to.

i am probably showing my age, but if you swear all the time what outlet have you got when really need it. And do shop staff like being asked, “Where’s the f’s the fg bread?”

How about we teach people old fashioned "good manners" (not swearing all the time is a good example of one)!

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Quite a few of the ideas on this thread are, naturally, taught by parents and the extended family. Unfortunately a significant minority feel that it is not their job to do so.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Quite a few of the ideas on this thread are, naturally, taught by parents and the extended family. Unfortunately a significant minority feel that it is not their job to do so.

Yes but unfortunately some of the parents haven't been taught them either.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Modern vehicles often have big heavy wheels that would be too heavy for most people, besides, punctures are very rare

Plus One for not swearing

We were stuffed with Shakespeare and Chaucer at school, put me off for decades

Got interested in learning much later. Truth is, at 18 one has only just started

Whatabout moulded-on plugs? And whatabout colours of wires that colour-blind people can identify?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Lots of good middle class ideas here. I wonder if anyone has any experience of life beyond that? Perhaps people can explain why they want to see things added to the curriculum rather than a list of stuff.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Lots of good middle class ideas here. I wonder if anyone has any experience of life beyond that? Perhaps people can explain why they want to see things added to the curriculum rather than a list of stuff.

Basic First Aid. I teach in an inner city school (not many 'middle class' students, whatever the definition of middle class is) where every year we have at least one student lose a parent as a result of something like a stroke or heart attack. Always make me wonder if some of these outcomes would be different if a student knew the basics of maintaining an airway and basic CPR whilst awaiting the arrival of an ambulance. Thankfully knives and drugs are not a significant problem where I teach, but the basics above plus controlling bleeding might help save some lives where young people get caught up with these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.