• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice for Gateline Operator Interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articuno

Hi! Long story short, I may have an interview on Friday for a ticket barrier operator job at Northern Rail in Leeds. This is a dream come true for me, I am desperate to get into this company but I am wondering if anyone else has had interviews for similar roles and what advice they can offer?
I know the questions asked should be somewhat different to driver and conductor questions (I have been reading up about those), and have also been wondering what sort of qualities they're looking for in particular, I know it may seem like an obvious answer but I would like to have some inside knowledge if poss :>

I guess customer service, good communication, attention to detail and health + safety are all in there, what else can you think of?

I really would appreciate any advice that can prepare me for this particular role. Thanks a lot! Now if anyone is interested, here's the rather long story.

Last week I was called up and asked to take some assessments the day after, very short notice but this was because there was a screw up on the mail side of things and the invitations didn't reach anybody, so at the last minute, the Northern recruitment team began calling as many people up as possible.
Anyway I got there and passed just two tests, failed the maths test because the first question was purposely difficult.. and my mind just blanked out. I spent far too long on it and ran out of time for the other more simple questions.
I went home feeling like a pile of poop to put it bluntly, then I got a call a few days later saying I was only one or two marks from a pass and they'd like me to retry just the maths test simply because I didn't get any of the practice papers beforehand.

So that's what I'm doing Friday. If I pass, I go straight to the interview. I want to do as best as I possibly can! The last two interviews I had for other jobs went perfectly but I know Northern Rail are tough..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The obvious things like what you know about the company.

What you think the role entails.

Examples of where you've dealt with difficult customers in the past, and how it made you feel.

Your hobbies and interests.

I also find that the way you conduct yourself before/after the interview also helps a lot - general chit chat and the like (eg: if they ask how you got there, rather than just saying "on the bus," something like "on the bus, it only took 10 minutes, not too bad, but it's not cheap!")

Articuno

Thanks! I quite like talking to people anyway so that last part won't be too difficult :>
Must I avoid mentioning my interest in the railway for this type of job?.. Will it matter much or does Northern Rail not favour rail enthusiasts overall?

driver9000

Established Member
as long as you dont come across as obsessed with railways then mentioning your interest shouldnt go against you - there are plenty of enthusiasts working on the railways.

Mojo has pretty much hit it on the head with thesort of things they will be looking for, details of the company are on the Northern website - services operated, network size, whos in charge arm yourself with some of this information. Dont go reading too much on driving or conductor grades as these are totally different to the job you are going for and the information would be irrelevant to the interview in my view.

Good luck with the interview!!

morgantyreman

Humm i applied on friday for this closing date wasnt till yesterday so how have you got a interview so quick. i last applied for a possision in Halifax in December and didnt get the interview will march

Articuno

They advertised this vacancy back in Jan or Feb. Because of the mail screw up, they've had to advertise it again because they didn't get enough applicants into the tests the first time round.
It went ok.. could have been better.. my problem was that I was too nervous :( I think my chances are blown but I won't know until after the second lot of tests on the 20th..

Owain

failed the maths test because the first question was purposely difficult.. and my mind just blanked out. I spent far too long on it and ran out of time for the other more simple questions.

I've been told (in a different company, similar role) that it's not how many questions you get right that count, but you must not get any wrong, as that could mean giving wrong info to a passenger.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I've been told (in a different company, similar role) that it's not how many questions you get right that count, but you must not get any wrong, as that could mean giving wrong info to a passenger.

not so much you can't get ANY wrong, but accuracy is the key to pretty much all railway assessments over quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.