• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice Only for Greater Anglia - Delay Repay Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

clagmonster

Established Member
i have received the same letter today and i'm worried sick i have replied explaining i used a website called Delay Repay Genie which i paid a subscription to they would then email me delays i could claim on as i have a season ticket - now i'm worried that i was doing the wrong thing. can this go to court and i end up with criminal record?
That depends. Did you use the website to claim only for journeys which you actually made or were some of the journeys found by the website but were not made by you? If the latter, you could well be prosecuted, but from the wording of the letter posted it seems that Greater Anglia are amenable to a settlement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joharry

to be honest i claimed on the journeys they told me i could i didn't double check the details as i was paying them to do the work Actually they made the claims for me i didn't do it. Greater Anglia have asked me to respond which i have straight away they have asked me to explain and then said they will make a decision to either a) i repay or b) pass onto transport police

Gloster

Established Member
I have received the same letter today.
One paragraph says we have taken this step to write to you to ask if you’ve made an error in any of your claims and to see if it is possible to seek to resolve this matter with you without the need for these claims to be investigated further. Your claim pattern is not in line with what we see as a standard and we will look very closely going forwards at any further claims submitted.

based on your response we will either A) give you the opportunity to re pay any claims that have proved to have been made fraudulently and an admin charge or b) pass your file to the British Transport Police for further action to be
If the above extract is complete, then they do not appear to consider the possibility that there might be a reasonable explanation for the recipient’s claim pattern. They seem to be taking the attitude that they regard him or her as guilty of something and are going to make an issue of it. Those with better legal knowledge than me might have something to say about this.

Beazer

You can look at it another way through, in that they've obviously spent some time looking at your claims and found something unusual about them, or they wouldn't have written to you. Have they actually accused you of anything or are they just asking for further information?

I think some members of this forum are a tiny bit blinkered when it comes to train operators and seem to think that TOCs can circumnavigate laws and procedures, which on the whole is not true from what I'm hearing elsewhere. If they genuinely believe a crime has been committed, they have an obligation to investigate, as it would be negligent for them not to.

Bottom line is unless you do actually have something to hide, your reply will be very short, if you even choose to reply at all, safe in the knowledge that they surely cannot have any evidence of a crime against you, or at least nothing sufficient to bring a prosecution.
Thanks. The letter read more like a threat than anything else. They offered no evidence. And I commuted daily during that period on a season ticket.

have you replied and are you worried they may take you to court?
I claimed for journeys I made. If I made a mistake then they could point that out to be. They authorised the claim at the time. I’ve heard that they don’t like people using online claim tools. Maybe it’s that.

joharry

yep i had a season ticket and commuted daily they have listed 5 journeys they say look strange

Thanks. The letter read more like a threat than anything else. They offered no evidence. And I commuted daily during that period on a season ticket.

I claimed for journeys I made. If I made a mistake then they could point that out to be. They authorised the claim at the time. I’ve heard that they don’t like people using online claim tools. Maybe it’s that.
i used a claim tool now i'm really worried that i made a mistake

Darandio

Established Member
I’ve heard that they don’t like people using online claim tools. Maybe it’s that.

Why would they? Why would they like a service that people use to claim for journeys they didn't make?

philthetube

Established Member
One paragraph says we have taken this step to write to you to ask if you’ve made an error in any of your claims and to see if it is possible to seek to resolve this matter with you without the need for these claims to be investigated further. Your claim pattern is not in line with what we see as a standard and we will look very closely going forwards at any further claims submitted.

based on your response we will either A) give you the opportunity to re pay any claims that have proved to have been made fraudulently and an admin charge or b) pass your file to the British Transport Police for further action to be
This reasd to me as if there is an assumption that the recipiant is guilty, there should be a C, note that all claims were correct and take no further action.

Jo78

to be honest i claimed on the journeys they told me i could i didn't double check the details as i was paying them to do the work Actually they made the claims for me i didn't do it. Greater Anglia have asked me to respond which i have straight away they have asked me to explain and then said they will make a decision to either a) i repay or b) pass onto transport police
Did your letter say about seeking legal advice

eoff

to be honest i claimed on the journeys they told me i could i didn't double check the details as i was paying them to do the work Actually they made the claims for me i didn't do it.

What do you mean by this? You are paying them to tell you which trains are delayed on your route and to handle any claims you have for being delayed.

According to their FAQ...

6. Do you submit my claims for me?

When subscribed to the DRG plan, we handle the claim submission for you.
By subscribing to this plan, you give DRG the authority to submit claims on your behalf once you have confirmed you were impacted by the train you wish to claim for.

Veteran Member
The OP hasn't been back, but we have 2 sorry 3 new members who have in common that they use a third-party claim agency (not being a commuter, I don't know the details).
TOC (etc) claims departments are short of routine work for obvious reasons and seem to be reviewing past cases, which is fair enough.
I imagine (comparing with past threads) that they would be suspicious of
- people who claimed to have travelled on an unusually high proportion of delayed services (especially if the times varied randomly);
- people whose journey patterns varied somewhat randomly.
Of course both could have perfectly innocent explanations, but equally, some people will accept what the agency tells them to claim without checking.
The letters received by our newest members are effectively saying "we have our eye on you...."

Last edited:

eoff

The OP hasn't been back, but we have 2 new members who have in common that they use a third-party claim agency (not being a commuter, I don't know the details).
TOC (etc) claims departments are short of routine work for obvious reasons and seem to be reviewing past cases, which is fair enough.
- people who claimed to have travelled on an unusually high proportion of delayed services (especially if the times varied randomly);
If I worked for them that is exactly what I would do. I imagine that anyone who get trains often enough to put in multiple claims is likely to frequent a limited number of services.
In fact if is was possible, I would be tempted to feed targeted phantom delays (only) to the data feed that these companies use.

skyhigh

Established Member
I suspect that the people getting letters all use a delay repay 'handler', and potentially all had tickets on smartcards - it wouldn't surprise me if they've gone through and matched claims with tap in/outs that don't tie up.

sheff1

Established Member

I have made, and been paid, numerous Delay Repay claims with various TOCs from Scotland to Kent which I imagine might well not be "not in line with what we see as standard". All have been 100% legitimate.

It does appear though that the letters referred to might relate to mutiple claims on the same route. Even so, the apparent binary option of A) or B) concerns me too. As others have said, they seem to be saying that if someone replies stating that the claims are genuine they will not believe them - seemingly even if the reply includes compelling evidence.

Last edited:

Beazer

I suspect that the people getting letters all use a delay repay 'handler', and potentially all had tickets on smartcards - it wouldn't surprise me if they've gone through and matched claims with tap in/outs that don't tie up.
There is no tap-in at my station and often the gates at Liverpool Street would be opened to let us all though with out tapping out.
I’ll await their response but if any one here knows if the threatening letter saying pay up or we’ll send to the transport police (without evidence) is legitimate then please let me know.

Jo78

have you replied to the letter - i explained i used a website that claimed for me and had no idea they were not correct
No I haven’t replied yet. I work for a US firm so the hours I work vary as I go on overtime rotas for early shifts, late nights and weekends. I’m going to speak to a lawyer on Monday just for advice and how to reply to the letter.

eoff

It does appear though that the letters referred to might relate to mutiple claims on the same route. Even so, the apparent binary option of A) or B) concerns me too. As others have said, they seem to be saying that if someone replies stating that the claims are genuine they will not believe them - seemingly even if the reply includes compelling evidence.

It would be nice to see the full text of one or more of the letters (minus identifying information) to see if this was indeed the case.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The OP hasn't been back, but we have 2 sorry 3 new members who have in common that they use a third-party claim agency (not being a commuter, I don't know the details).
Of course both could have perfectly innocent explanations, but equally, some people will accept what the agency tells them to claim without checking.
The letters received by our newest members are effectively saying "we have our eye on you...."

I wonder if a TOC could ever falsify a delay (with permission from NR, DfT etc) in order to catch people out who could make a claim against it, due to the automated nature of such services?

(Edit: I see that has already been suggested above!)

Egg Centric

I wonder if a TOC could ever falsify a delay (with permission from NR, DfT etc) in order to catch people out who could make a claim against it, due to the automated nature of such services?

(Edit: I see that has already been suggested above!)

No idea if either legal or practical (I suspect the answers are 'yes'; 'no'), but morally that's boardering on entrapment - remember that for a season ticket holder travelling 5 days a week a 15 minute delay from some of the piss poor train "services" we had pre-Covid would not be particularly memorable, especially if changes were involved. You could easily be acting in good faith ticking all the boxes.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Thanks for posting this. Looking at the exact wording of option (a) (and adding some emphasis) it does cover the ‘nothing wrong’ scenario:

(a) offer you the opportunity to re-pay any claims that have proved to have been made fraudulently and an administration charge

If ‘any’ turns out to be ‘none’ then there’s nothing to pay. The wording could have been better, but it’s good enough.

More generally, can Greater Anglia pursue like this? I think that they can (although as with almost anything on the internet, please remember that I am not a lawyer). As far as I can make out, Delay Repay is governed by the National Rail Conditions of Travel (NRCoT) and the train company’s Passenger's Charter.

The current NRCoT came in in December 2019 - and so may not have been in force for some DR claims mentioned in this thread. But without having gone to check, I don’t see why the previous version would have been significantly different.

Relevantly, NRCoT says

32. GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK FOR DELAYS AND/OR CANCELLATIONS
32.1. If you are delayed in reaching your destination as a result of a delay or cancellation of a train service, you may be entitled to claim money back. You can make a claim in one or more of the following ways:
32.1.1. through the industry arrangements provided for:
32.1.1.1. in these Conditions; and/or
32.1.1.2. in the Passenger’s Charter of the relevant Train Company and/or
32.1.2. by relying on your statutory rights, e.g. under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and the Rail Passengers’ Rights and Obligations Regulation as it applies in GB law.
However, you cannot recover the same money twice.
(source: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/National Rail Conditions of Travel.pdf)

And the Greater Anglia Passenger's Charter (dated 1 April 2019) tells us that
Compensation – get it with our Delay Repay scheme
Get compensation from 15 minutes onwards

If you hold a valid ticket for your journey, you can claim compensation for delays of 15 minutes or more, no matter what the reason. Compensation payments are made when services are delayed against the published timetable, including where we have published service alterations.

(Source: https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/sit...mAU/10673-ga_passenger_charter_dl_booklet.pdf)

As I've said, I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that a court would have no difficulty in taking the words of NRCoT 32.1 (' If you are delayed in reaching your destination as a result of a delay or cancellation of a train service') and the Passengers Charter ('If you hold a valid ticket for your journey') as meaning that someone claiming Delay Repay must actually have made the journey in question. Not a journey between the same two points an hour later or an hour earlier, but the specific journey actually claimed for.

So that means that we need to consider what journeys people posting here have claimed DR for. If they are journeys that they didn't make, then frankly I don't think that there's anything we can suggest other than letting the law take its course - which could be a voluntary repayment, or (not mentioned by Greater Anglia) the railway recovering the money in the civil courts, or the matter going to British Transport Police for investigation and potentially prosecution, presumably at the Crown Court for fraud.

But if there are people who actually have made the railway journeys in question, what to do now? The easy answer (and one which is legally sound) is 'nothing': wait for the railway and their police to do their worst, attend court and insist that they prove their point. But this will be an immensely stressful course of action - and if the matter goes to a criminal trial, bear in mind that proving something (in this case the allegation that the defendant did not make the train journey in question) beyond reasonable doubt is not that high a bar. Imagine that the railway puts forward that

- someone has put in claims every day for the most delayed A-B service, regardless of what time that journey is
- the railway has uncovered that the defendant works in an office job finishing every day at 1700
- on the day in question the defendant claimed for a delay on the A-B train leaving A at 2330

And the defendant refuses to answer because "it's for the railway to prove their case". Without getting into whether silence can be held against you (IANAL), the court will likely conclude that on the evidence, the 2330 A-B delay repay claim was false - because that's what the evidence the court has seen points towards.

But now imagine that on the day in question the defendant bumped into a friend they hadn't seen for years, and went to the pub, only leaving at 2325 and just making the 2330 train. They tell the court this (possibly even with a letter from the friend to confirm the facts). In that case, the prosecution's case looks much more tentative: the accusation has not been proved beyond reasonable doubt.

So the advice to anyone who really believes that they are being unfairly accused must be to check what journeys they are being challenged on (on the basis of the letter above, Greater Anglia seem to be telling you the day and the route but not the time - but presumably the various autoclaiming companies or Greater Anglia let them know at the time of the claim the specific journey being claimed for). Then try and see what evidence they have of why they might have got that train: do worklogs or timesheets or emails give a hint? If the challenge is (for example) regularly for Tuesday evenings because you regularly play squash after work on a Tuesday? And so on. Then my personal view would be to engage with Greater Anglia and share your evidence: the downside of this is that you are showing your hand, but the upside is that Greater Anglia (who have shown some of theirs by showing what days they are interested in) may then have enough information to walk away.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
I do wonder if there’s been a fishing expedition done to identify strings of claims made by people, particularly those who may have used this “delay repay genie”.

Abellio Greater Anglia is within its rights to do this and invite people to consider repaying the amounts in question. The people are in turn within their rights to say “no, prove it”. The next steps for the recipients of this letter all depend on whether, on mature reflection, you decide that the simplicity of putting through a claim with a few clicks meant that you decided to put through a claim for the train before/after the one you took, or on a day you worked from home, etc. Some people justify this to themselves because “the railway has loads of money”, “tickets are too expensive”, or “I always get delayed 10-14 minutes so just miss out”. But doing so is fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.