• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airport Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Have just lost a Tin of Stagg Red Hot Chilli to Security at EDI - bang goes my tea in Dublin tonight !!

Absolute nonsense really I know it's hot but not explosive and I thought it would pass muster - evidently not.:(

Quite busy at the Airport today, although luckily the BA Lounge is empty so I am consoling myself with a Cognac.

Anyone else got any interesting anecdotes about items they have lost to security or other problems ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

neilmc

Oh gosh, the stupidity here is quite astounding. My son is a pilot and had a dangerous bottle of water confiscated by these morons as he went through the staff control - he reminded them that he had an AXE in the cockpit should he decide to take everyone out. Then there was the day he was updating the flight manuals for the plane which meant he had TWO items of hand luggage and he had to convince security that flying a plane with no manuals on board was really not a great idea.

I used to travel regularly between Manchester and Bristol and one thing which tipped the balance in favour of taking the train was not having to encounter so many jobsworth morons on the railway.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Then there was the day he was updating the flight manuals for the plane which meant he had TWO items of hand luggage and he had to convince security that flying a plane with no manuals on board was really not a great idea.
I'm reminded of "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" where one pilot declared he had no need for practice flights before the London to Paris race, as he would follow the manual. Which duly blew away half way over the Channel.

A young relative had visited a military museum and bought a souvenir torch in the form of a large bullet. Probably not the best idea to take it on a flight, but they let him go back out of security to mail it to himself. Another was stopped at Rome airport for having a penknife in his pocket, but was allowed to go back and add it to his already checked baggage. History doesn't record how he managed to get it on the outward flight...

Aictos

Established Member
I've had it before where as Gatwick would ignore a item but Manchester would pick up on it and say it needs to be in a sealed bag, that was when I did Gatwick to Manchester to Heathrow.

zero

The security staff at Manchester Airport are the worst in the EU (as of 2019). They constantly make things up, and insist on manual inspections of bags where the X-ray identifies items on a secret list known only to themselves, but which they claim is "standard" around the world.

KeithMcC

I was deprived of two small backup batteries and a 5m metal tape measure at Cairo airport a few years ago. Presumably they found their way to the souk.
None of that had ever been a problem anywhere else and I (used to) fly a lot.

WestCoast

Established Member
The security staff at Manchester Airport are the worst in the EU (as of 2019). They constantly make things up, and insist on manual inspections of bags where the X-ray identifies items on a secret list known only to themselves, but which they claim is "standard" around the world.

Agreed, I‘ve travelled through most UK airports and I’ve always found Manchester to be the worst for security. Pre-COVID there was always queues, the staff literally shout and scream at passengers as well as having rules that no one else has (e.g. using separate trays for everything meaning you end up with about 5 trays per person!).

Gatwick is polar opposite, usually quick, efficient and the staff pleasant. Heathrow a little worse, but not bad.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Have just lost a Tin of Stagg Red Hot Chilli to Security at EDI - bang goes my tea in Dublin tonight !!

Absolute nonsense really I know it's hot but not explosive and I thought it would pass muster - evidently not.:(

It's very clearly a fluid, I'm not quite sure what made you think it would get through?

I'm reminded of "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" where one pilot declared he had no need for practice flights before the London to Paris race, as he would follow the manual. Which duly blew away half way over the Channel.

A young relative had visited a military museum and bought a souvenir torch in the form of a large bullet. Probably not the best idea to take it on a flight, but they let him go back out of security to mail it to himself. Another was stopped at Rome airport for having a penknife in his pocket, but was allowed to go back and add it to his already checked baggage. History doesn't record how he managed to get it on the outward flight...

I'm not going to say which one because it would technically be posting information potentially useful to neer-do-wells and thus an offence, but there is an airport in western Europe where small penknives can be purchased in the departure hall and carried on. Quite a few countries allow them through up to 10cm blade and non-locking anyway - this is why the UK doesn't "trust" other countries' security.

Ediswan

Established Member
Departing from Stansted a few years ago, the baggage scan operator said they could see a fork (cutlery) in one of the bags. One of their colleagues then stated that forks were now allowed. At the final destination, we emptied the bag. No fork was found.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Departing from Stansted a few years ago, the baggage scan operator said they could see a fork (cutlery) in one of the bags. One of their colleagues then stated that forks were now allowed. At the final destination, we emptied the bag. No fork was found.

Often you can see things that aren't there, it's really quite hard to interpret layers of stuff, hence why laptops have to come out. I once brought a German layout keyboard back home from Germany on Eurostar and was stopped (despite them being very lax indeed in the 1990s) - the guy pointed at the screen and asked what it was I had in my bag. The keyboard with the cable wrapped round it looked for all the world like an automatic weapon. Fortunately showing them it made it clear that it was an innocent purchase :)

Butts

Veteran Member
It's very clearly a fluid, I'm not quite sure what made you think it would get through?

I'm not going to say which one because it would technically be posting information potentially useful to neer-do-wells and thus an offence, but there is an airport in western Europe where small penknives can be purchased in the departure hall and carried on. Quite a few countries allow them through up to 10cm blade and non-locking anyway - this is why the UK doesn't "trust" other countries' security.

Hardly say a Tin of Chilli was fluid - it does have quite a bit of meat in it !!

Talking of knives my son bought a Swiss Army Knife in Geneva Airport airside (where else ?) and was allowed to take it onboard. As you say they are non-locking so no problem for the authorities - at least in Switzerland.

zero

I was also going to buy a swiss army knife at Zurich airport airside but it was cheaper in the UK so I didn't bother.

Aictos

Established Member
Think the other time I had issues at Gatwick was trying to explain to the security staff what a T Key was for as they were under the impression it was a weapon of some kind (I forgot it was in my bag as it was a spare I used for work), I even asked them if I wasn't allowed it on my person to allow me to collect it as I was coming though the airport later that evening. In the end, common sense prevailed and I was allowed to leave it in my carry on.

But every airport is different...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hardly say a Tin of Chilli was fluid - it does have quite a bit of meat in it !!

I believe the rule is "liquids, pastes or gels" - it doesn't quite fit one of those but is certainly the same type of consistency. Jars of jam or mayonnaise are certainly not allowed. It's also not possible to open it and show that it isn't nefarious.

Butts

Veteran Member
When I arrived in Dublin last night I realised that I had inadvertently conveyed two sachets of HP Brown Sauce in my hand luggage from Edinburgh to Dublin via LHR.

These were not picked up by Security Screening at EDI or LHR.

Were they to small to count (unlike my tin of chilli) or just missed ?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Think the other time I had issues at Gatwick was trying to explain to the security staff what a T Key was for as they were under the impression it was a weapon of some kind

Not an airport, but I was regularly picked up for my T key going through security at the Houses of Parliament. Although I was trumped one day by a colleague who for some reason tried to bring a 450mm crow bar through. That took some explaining on his part.

Most embarrassing confiscation at airport security was, ahem, a pair of handcuffs in my future wife’s handluggage. I nevertheless quite saw her in the same light again.

ABB125

Established Member
About 20 years ago, my dad managed to accidentally smuggle rifle ammunition into Bangkok. It was in his camera bag (which of course in those days used film) and the security staff couldn't work out what it was, but let him through. Needless to say, shortly afterwards a small plop was heard in a nearby canal... :D

(The ammunition was in his bag because he often took his camera when shooting rabbits.)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had a train control key confiscated from me at City Airport a few years ago. At the time I used the same bag (backpack) for work as outside of work and thought I’d emptied it.

The staff asked me if I had any tools in my bag and looked confusingly at them saying no, before they took it out & I realised what it was.

I tried to explain to them that I couldn’t really give the key to anyone because it was a safety thing, so they got the manager to come over & take it. It was annoying really as it was a unique one that I’d not seen before or since, that fits on a key ring.

On a similar note a colleague of mine who was with me and a few others on a staff trip to Belgium a few years ago was stopped & asked to explain by Eurostar security why he had a J-door key on him (this is the LU equivalent of a T-key) and advised them that it was because he was parked in a staff car park and needed it to get back to his car at the end of the trip! They seemed more concerned however because Eurostar staff carry a key of the same design to unlock equipment and cabinets on their trains!

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
About 20 years ago, my dad managed to accidentally smuggle rifle ammunition into Bangkok. It was in his camera bag (which of course in those days used film) and the security staff couldn't work out what it was, but let him through. Needless to say, shortly afterwards a small plop was heard in a nearby canal... :D

(The ammunition was in his bag because he often took his camera when shooting rabbits.)

A little more insidious than a couple of sachets of HP Sauce :E

Does anyone remember the crazy situation a few years back when you could only take one lighter through ?

That threw a few people off with forgotten spares in their hand luggage.

JamesT

Established Member
Coming back from a holiday in Egypt a few years ago. Happily swigging from a bottle of water as I went through the security gates at Luxor. But the unopened packet of AAA batteries in the hand luggage got confiscated.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Around 2014 I was sitting at the gate in Birmingham airport with a colleague on the return leg of a trip from Edinburgh. He was rooting about in his hand luggage for something then lifted out a massive 10” Philips screwdriver from the bottom. He said he’d had an increasingly nagging feeling about something since we went through security and this must be the cause; I told him to put it back quick! Neither the Edinburgh or Birmingham x-ray machines had found it.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just passed through LCY Security where they are trialling a new machine that means you don't have to take anything out of your Hand Luggage.

Unfortunately it seems to be having teething problems as my bag "slid off to the left"

The machine queried A Laptop, Liquids and a Book ? which were manually checked.

Fortunately not that busy at the Airport.

Iskra

Established Member
My mum once got pulled for having a slow cooker in her hand luggage. She was allowed to continue with it, but it certainly caused some bemusement.

hst43102

On the other hand, I've once accidentally made it through security with a pair of scissors and a pen knife inside my pencil case, which was in a rucksack. Only discovered whilst unpacking said bag.

Iskra

Established Member
On the other hand, I've once accidentally made it through security with a pair of scissors and a pen knife inside my pencil case, which was in a rucksack. Only discovered whilst unpacking said bag.
Pen knives with a blade shorter than a credit card are actually permitted. Of course, you would do more damage to your own fingers if you tried to hurt anyone with it.

hst43102

Pen knives with a blade shorter than a credit card are actually permitted. Of course, you would do more damage to your own fingers if you tried to hurt anyone with it.
That's interesting. Not sure why those are allowed but a bottle of water isn't?

Wolfie

Established Member
When I arrived in Dublin last night I realised that I had inadvertently conveyed two sachets of HP Brown Sauce in my hand luggage from Edinburgh to Dublin via LHR.

These were not picked up by Security Screening at EDI or LHR.

Were they to small to count (unlike my tin of chilli) or just missed ?
Under 100ml

My mum once got pulled for having a slow cooker in her hand luggage. She was allowed to continue with it, but it certainly caused some bemusement.
Some really nasty IED bombs have been based on pressure cookers (e.g. the Boston Marathon attack in April 2013). That is almost certainly why they checked....

Iskra

Established Member
That's interesting. Not sure why those are allowed but a bottle of water isn't?
Because then they can charge you more for water in the terminal and on the aircraft…

Under 100ml

Some really nasty IED bombs have been based on pressure cookers (e.g. the Boston Marathon attack in April 2013). That is almost certainly why they checked....
That’s interesting. I can fully understand why they checked it out, it’s certainly an odd shaped item.

ChrisRS

Few years back bought a bottle of water at departures after security. On arrival to Paris Charles de Gaulle airport security threw the bottle out, said "forbidden".

I had a 4 hour layover before my next flight. Safe to say they don't like to drink water over in France.

Status
Not open for further replies.