• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airport Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanstallon

In film days, I hated having my films put through the scanner. You used to be able to have them hand checked, but after about 2001 they would refuse to do that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XAM2175

Established Member
In film days, I hated having my films put through the scanner. You used to be able to have them hand checked, but after about 2001 they would refuse to do that.
Most of the time they can still be persuaded, though I've mostly given up in favour of tracking how many X-ray passes each roll's had. It's been nearly ten years now and I'm yet to notice any distinct ill effect on rolls that have had up to a dozen passes, and some beyond that.

Still always a faint worry for me though.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
T-keys and no 1 keys , plus Acme Thunderer caused repeated problems in Parliament and Portcullis House !

Airports - tube of garlic sauce confiscated at Berlin-Schonefeld. Then you could not find it in the UK.

Brooke

I won’t bother with the long story how, but my then-girlfriend inadvertently imported a large machete from Ecuador to UK via Schiphol.

It was in hold baggage but we were both pretty surprised it / she hadn’t been intercepted at some point on the way! Presumably it’d be illegal in one or both of NL or UK.

Meanwhile I had some brandy butter confiscated last Xmas at Dublin. Apparently it’s a liquid?

Rutland23

A friend of mine was detained for some hours in Norway.

Her mobile phone had traces of explosives on it.

After many hours of interrogation, her husband (in England) explained that he loaded ammunition for competition shooting on the same workbench that the mobile phone charger was on.

She was less than happy!!

Regards

Ian

edwin_m

Veteran Member
A friend of mine was detained for some hours in Norway.

Her mobile phone had traces of explosives on it.

After many hours of interrogation, her husband (in England) explained that he loaded ammunition for competition shooting on the same workbench that the mobile phone charger was on.

She was less than happy!!

Regards

Ian
At least this shows the explosives detectors are at least somewhat effective, unlike those ones someone sold to Iraq.

paul1609

Established Member
Think the other time I had issues at Gatwick was trying to explain to the security staff what a T Key was for as they were under the impression it was a weapon of some kind (I forgot it was in my bag as it was a spare I used for work), I even asked them if I wasn't allowed it on my person to allow me to collect it as I was coming though the airport later that evening. In the end, common sense prevailed and I was allowed to leave it in my carry on.

But every airport is different...
T keys are also used on the fire and sound instalation modules around diesel generators in the maritime offshore and other industries, for some reason they seem to attract the attention of airport security wherever you pack them. In the end I decided the best place was on a key ring as you could just explain what it was.

XAM2175

Established Member

I got pulled up by the explosives testers a fair few years ago now putting my dog on a flight. We worked out that it was because he'd been frolicking in a freshly-fertilised paddock the day before :E

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
At least this shows the explosives detectors are at least somewhat effective, unlike those ones someone sold to Iraq.
Haha, I just remembered that Iraq case. Amazing how these snake oil scams can happen with big clients in the 21st century.

Status
Not open for further replies.