• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airports with Smoking Areas Airside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Although this is probably a minority interest these days I thought it may be useful to any other smokers

In the UK:

Aberdeen - PAYE (£1) but most people knock the door and someone lets them in.

Birmingham - ( Currently closed during the refurbishment ?)

Cardiff - Free

East Midlands - Free

Newcastle -Free

Manchester - Free (Not all terminals)

Heathrow - Terminal 4 ? - Are there any others

Glasgow and Edinburgh - None

Gatwick - None

Belfast City - None

Stansted - None

Luton - None

Feel free to update or add Airports not mentioned !!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
Bristol has a small outdoor area next to Gate 4 I believe which is free

stuart100100

Liverpool had a free one last time I used it a couple of years ago, and their website suggests it's still there

Butts

Veteran Member
Liverpool had a free one last time I used it a couple of years ago, and their website suggests it's still there

Have used that myself in the past, glad to hear it's still there.

Caboose Class

The "outdoor cages" at UK airports are an utter disgrace when compared with the dedicated smoking lounges (often with free cigarettes on offer) found at major international airports. For a full list of airports worldwide where smoking is permitted see https://airportsmokers.com/

Brooke

Frankfurt, Schipol and Changi spring to mind. Changi also has a swimming pool which passengers can use whist in transit.
Schiphol one is good - you can have a beer and a smoke there while waiting for your flights gate to come up. Geneva is another with an indoor lounge. Zurich also if it’s still there?

Aictos

Established Member
Schiphol one is good - you can have a beer and a smoke there while waiting for your flights gate to come up. Geneva is another with an indoor lounge. Zurich also if it’s still there?
Was there last year and I never knew that, is it open to in transit passengers?

Brooke

Butts

Veteran Member
Schiphol? I’ve used it in the past for transiting, but I’ve not been to it post-Covid.

edit - just found this link, which implies it might not be open since last year: https://news.schiphol.com/schiphol-terminal-to-become-entirely-smoke-free-from-april/

Hopefully one of the other freq fliers on this forum can advise the current situation.

They used to have the "telephone box" booths at one time - not been for a few years.

Luxembourg ditched them and went smoke free when it was refurbished a few years ago.

TravelDream

Frankfurt, Schipol and Changi spring to mind. Changi also has a swimming pool which passengers can use whist in transit.

Partially true. The airside hotel has a swimming pool which guests can use when in transit. Others in transit (or just departing) can use it for a fairly heft charge (over £10 from memory).
I must say I have never seen free cigarettes in a smoking area there either. The government is pretty strongly anti-smoke so I can't see it.

Butts

Veteran Member
Birmingham Airports area not reopened yet, indeed in half the Airport all the retail outlets are completely closed - Gates 1-20 Area where my Easyjet Flight to Edinburgh departed from this Morning.

stuu

Established Member
Partially true. The airside hotel has a swimming pool which guests can use when in transit. Others in transit (or just departing) can use it for a fairly heft charge (over £10 from memory).
I must say I have never seen free cigarettes in a smoking area there either. The government is pretty strongly anti-smoke so I can't see it.
I haven't been to Changi for ~10 years but there definitely used to be a swimming pool which was a nominal fee to use, upstairs in one of the terminals and nothing to do with any hotel. There was a bar alongside which I have sat at a couple of times

Puppetfinger

Most Scandinavian airports have numerous smoking booths that are free to use.

I'm not a smoker but have travelled through there a lot with friends and colleagues who do partake, and I was impressed with the set up, own A/C or ventilation, and walking around the outside if it, you did not smell anything, even when the door was opened.

I like places being smoke free as a non smoker, but I find it crazy that we can't have a similar facility in the UK at indoor public venues.

TravelDream

I haven't been to Changi for ~10 years but there definitely used to be a swimming pool which was a nominal fee to use, upstairs in one of the terminals and nothing to do with any hotel. There was a bar alongside which I have sat at a couple of times

It's definitely located in the airside hotel Aerotel in terminal 1. I just Googled it and the current entrance fee for non-guests is 17 SGD which is £9.20 and that's for a maximum of three hours.
There is a bar there too.
You must has misremembered because it's always been a part of the airside hotel, but also open to the public for a fee.

stuu

Established Member
It's definitely located in the airside hotel Aerotel in terminal 1. I just Googled it and the current entrance fee for non-guests is 17 SGD which is £9.20 and that's for a maximum of three hours.
There is a bar there too.
You must has misremembered because it's always been a part of the airside hotel, but also open to the public for a fee.
Entirely likely, as I said it's been a long time since I was there. You definitely didn't need to go through the hotel to get to the bar/pool in the past though, it wasn't (to my recollection) obviously related to the hotel, and the price was a couple of S$ or something.

Regardless, sitting by a pool having a cold beer is a very civilised way to wait for a flight, and not something you can do in many other airports.

I did once go to the Maldives and needed to catch a seaplane from the airport, which involved sitting in a bamboo hut with your feet in the sand/sea and free cocktails whilst waiting for your plane to arrive. That is the way to travel

Status
Not open for further replies.