• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alcohol on Long Distance Trains at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Does anyone know why some TOCs have banned Alcohol on trains at the moment, although those with a limited catering service, are now offering tea/coffee/soft drinks & snacks? I presume it is to do with CV19.

I was on a GWR service last week and another chap was having a couple of can of beers, removing his face mask to sip his drink.

I had an email from Avanti indicating that food and wine would be offered again soon in 1st class on the WCML. All being well I shall be traveling to the North East ECML and East Midlands MML in September and October and as it it a significant birthday soon, I was hoping to enhance the journeys with a glass of 2 of wine.

Is the Pub upstairs at KGX still open, I think it is called the Parcel Yard? Or the Wetherspoons or Champagne Bar at STP. I think there is another pub in STP too? Any of these any good for a light meal before getting on the trains?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FQTV

LNER is the only Train Operating Company that has designated all services as ‘dry’. Anecdotally, no-one seems to be paying a blind bit of notice.

johntea

Established Member
I would just get them down your neck and not worry about it too much from recent experiences on LNER!

Although they’ve FINALLY updated their website to mention this!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Best avoid fuss. I wouldn't want this contagion to spread to other TOC's

Established Member
This is another one of those policies that has to be finely balanced between dealing with the current situation, yet also attracting people back to the railway. For many a key advantage of the train over driving, especially over long distances, is the ability to relax and have a couple of drinks.

I can understand why onboard catering has been stopped for now, but it seems a little OTT not to allow people to bring moderate amounts of alcohol on board, along with other provisions (the usual caveats about not getting stupidly drunk apply). I can’t see how it’s enforceable* as a blanket ban on all services: contrast with proper “dry trains” after football matches which are patrolled by BTP etc.

*no doubt it’s as well enforced as the alcohol ban on TFL services :).

Alex27

I haven't had this myself (I'm too young to drink:)) But I don't think this is a bad thing neccisrly, as alcohol reduces ones inhibitions, meaning people may well not socially distance. So I can see why some TOC's are not serving alcohol, it might be annoying for some, but I personally don't think it's a terrible thing.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I haven't had this myself (I'm too young to drink:)) But I don't think this is a bad thing neccisrly, as alcohol reduces ones inhibitions, meaning people may well not socially distance. So I can see why some TOC's are not serving alcohol, it might be annoying for some, but I personally don't think it's a terrible thing.

Maybe when you're older you may change your mind :)

HBP

I think there is another pub in STP too? Any of these any good for a light meal before getting on the trains?

The Betjeman Arms at STP is open again. I’ve always found the food, drink and atmosphere pleasant at this pub.

greyman42

Established Member
The Parcels Yard is still shut but Wetherspoons in St Pancras is open. I don't know about the Champagne bar or the Sir John Betjeman. There is a bar in the Renaissance Hotel which is not as pricey as people think.

syorksdeano

LNER is the only Train Operating Company that has designated all services as ‘dry’. Anecdotally, no-one seems to be paying a blind bit of notice.

Afraid I am one of those that hasn't taken a blind bit of notice, mainly because this is the first I've heard of it

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Parcels Yard is still shut but Wetherspoons in St Pancras is open. I don't know about the Champagne bar or the Sir John Betjeman. There is a bar in the Renaissance Hotel which is not as pricey as people think.

The Betjamen was open and doing a fine trade a few weeks ago.

Afraid I am one of those that hasn't taken a blind bit of notice, mainly because this is the first I've heard of it

Can't blame you there !

FQTV

The Betjeman and the Champagne Bar are both open and have been for a while now.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I've never really been a fan of alcohol consumption on trains because of the potential issues it presents the driver & on board staff with very intoxicated passengers.

Again, it is a small minority that cause the problems but I've been on sat on trains opposite very intoxicated people who are still guzzling on a can of Strongbow.

I remember being sat on an Avanti service and a very loud Eastern European chap was drinking at 10 O'clock in the morning. He disappeared to the buffet car and came back to his seat with a paper bag containing two cans. I was actually surprised they had served him but I can understand the staff are probably eager to avoid a scene if they refused him which would possibly impact on the safety of staff & other passengers.

You can see my point here.

Drunken people using train services is an entirely different issue - my point is selling more alcohol on board.

Theres little can be done to stop the drunken football supporters, the revellers going to race days, stag dos, etc, but if the sale of alcohol was stopped on services it might just remedy the problem a little.

CJ

HBP

I only heard about it from this forum on a previous thread. Not had announcements on any LNER I’ve travelled on recently. Nothing about it on the booking confirmation email from them either.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've never really been a fan of alcohol consumption on trains because of the potential issues it presents the driver & on board staff with very intoxicated passengers.

Again, it is a small minority that cause the problems but I've been on sat on trains opposite very intoxicated people who are still guzzling on a can of Strongbow.

I remember being sat on an Avanti service and a very loud Eastern European chap was drinking at 10 O'clock in the morning. He disappeared to the buffet car and came back to his seat with a paper bag containing two cans. I was actually surprised they had served him but I can understand the staff are probably eager to avoid a scene if they refused him which would possibly impact on the safety of staff & other passengers.

You can see my point here.

Drunken people using train services is an entirely different issue - my point is selling more alcohol on board.

Theres little can be done to stop the drunken football supporters, the revellers going to race days, stag dos, etc, but if the sale of alcohol was stopped on services it might just remedy the problem a little.

CJ

Whilst I can understand the issue with rowdy behaviour, I just don't think that people minding their own business should be prevented from having a beer.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yes, I wonder why they did that?

My bet it's leverage against "Lads Lads Lads" groups having a giant rowdy piss up on the train.

I suspect staff are turning a blind eye to anyone simply quietly sipping a can.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Whilst I can understand the issue with rowdy behaviour, I just don't think that people minding their own business should be prevented from having a beer.

I think the point is that some people with a few beers inside them no longer mind their own business. It's the usual minority of drinkers causing problems but then I don't see why those not drinking alcohol (likely to be the vast majority) should have to suffer.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think the point is that some people with a few beers inside them no longer mind their own business. It's the usual minority of drinkers causing problems but then I don't see why those not drinking alcohol (likely to be the vast majority) should have to suffer.

Well indeed. Those of us who enjoy a beer also don't want to be troubled by the minority of problem drinkers, which is why I'm all for robust action against them.

jfisher21

The Doric Arch pub at Euston is open, enjoyed a beer there the other night waiting for the sleeper

Taunton

Established Member
This seems to be one of a number of issues where the opportunity has been taken to use the virus emergency as an excuse. I suspect that the anti-alcohol temperance brigade have seized the chance to impose their views on others under a smokescreen.

The same applies to compulsory reservations. By all accounts services are running almost empty. But there is a long term desire of the major operators to run reservations only (even more so than airlines, where you can always get a seat assigned or changed up to departure, not easily the case on many rail operators).

Excessive alcohol consumption and inappropriate behaviour is a completely separate matter from serving refreshments in the train.

FQTV

This seems to be one of a number of issues where the opportunity has been taken to use the virus emergency as an excuse. I suspect that the anti-alcohol temperance brigade have seized the chance to impose their views on others under a smokescreen.

The same applies to compulsory reservations. By all accounts services are running almost empty. But there is a long term desire of the major operators to run reservations only (even more so than airlines, where you can always get a seat assigned or changed up to departure, not easily the case on many rail operators).

Excessive alcohol consumption and inappropriate behaviour is a completely separate matter from serving refreshments in the train.

I’m minded to agree. There’s little so civilised as a long distance rail journey with a good meal and a bottle of wine, whether that’s on a private charter, GWR Pullman Dining, or a BYO picnic.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I believe that's exactly the reason. What it misses (as does banning alcohol on e.g. late evening "vomit comets" out of London on a Saturday evening) is that most people who are drunk on trains consumed the alcohol before boarding. Even pre-ban, very rarely would you see significant drinking on the late Saturday evening trains out of Euston, just drunk people mostly with Burger Kings etc.

I suppose IC trains are a bit different, though, as the journey is longer.

I don't entirely get why TOCs want this, as it limits ticket sales to the number of seats. A full and standing train is very, very profitable.

TOCs certainly want to abolish off-peak walk-up fares, but that's a rather different thing - you'd still be able to buy an Anytime and cram on.

(One to discuss further here though, at least in the COVID context: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/covid19-and-compulsory-reservations.204174/)

johntea

Established Member
Personally after a few beers I find myself minding my own business...fast asleep! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.