• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alighting and re-boarding a booked service

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst43102

Hi,

I was just wondering if it would be permitted to buy a ticket for a specific train (for example, the 0730 Kings Cross - Edinburgh), alight at a station en-route (for example, York) and then re-board a later train to Edinburgh. Would the ticket still be valid on the second train, or would you have to buy two separate tickets for the journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You can't do it with an Advance ticket.

You can do it with all Anytime tickets.

You can do it with some (Super) Off Peak tickets, depending on the restriction code. Generally speaking almost all (Super) Off Peak tickets allow it on the return half but many don't on the outward, only a very few don't allow it on the return, and you'll need to take account of any time restrictions.

sonic2009

Established Member
On advance tickets this wouldn't be possible
You can't do it with an Advance ticket.

You can do it with all Anytime tickets.

You can do it with some (Super) Off Peak tickets, depending on the restriction code. Generally speaking almost all (Super) Off Peak tickets allow it on the return half but many don't on the outward, only a very few don't allow it on the return, and you'll need to take account of any time restrictions.

Some advance tickets do give you a wait at changes en-route, but I've never seen any with a long wait unless waiting for an infrequent service.

_toommm_

Established Member
I swear you can specify wait times on TrainSplit, so you can add a change at whatever station you want to alight at.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I swear you can specify wait times on TrainSplit, so you can add a change at whatever station you want to alight at.

In theory you could force an Advance to include an intermediate change of train which such a setting. Or by being clever with what via points you specify (in some circumstances)

island

Veteran Member
Even if, by whatever means, you get a long wait on your Advance ticket itinerary when waiting to join another train, the conditions of Advance tickets do not allow you to leave the station except in very limited circumstances.

You may if you wish use station facilities.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Even if, by whatever means, you get a long wait on your Advance ticket itinerary when waiting to join another train, the conditions of Advance tickets do not allow you to leave the station except in very limited circumstances.

Does that mean that in the case of a train with a long dwell time at a platform with a station cafe nearby, it would be valid for instance to get off the train, buy a coffee and get back on the same train, on an Advance?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Although, in practice, a word with the barrier staff to the effect of "I've got an hour until my next train, am I OK to get out for a bit, please?" is likely to work.

Does that mean that in the case of a train with a long dwell time at a platform with a station cafe nearby, it would be valid for instance to get off the train, buy a coffee and get back on the same train, on an Advance?
Yes

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is no requirement to remain on the train at all times, indeed if you take the Caledonian Sleeper in the seated portion to Fort William, you will have to get out and change carriages mid-journey!

Established Member
I managed to force a change at Ebbsfleet International on an advance once. I only did it to "tick" the station and I had to go through the gateline. Something which took a bit of an explanation! Once they'd clearly seen I was reserved on two separate trains they were obviously fine with it, but suggested/hinted I could have probably just stayed on the first train.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The reality is almost always practical approach. Nobody is going to suggest for example that you may visit the Sainsbury's inside Manchester Piccadilly station while you're changing trains there with an onward journey to make using a through Advance ticket, but that you're not allowed to visit the Coop on the station approach, as it is several metres outside of the station. This just doesn't happen. It's also very common for people to say "can I go out to the coffee shop and then come back in?" at all kinds of locations, and it's not going to be enforced whether that particular shop is within the station or not.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I remember back in the days of East Coast Rewards I was able to force changes (from Inverness) at both Durham and Newark by careful use of via and avoid points. I got three separate trains on a free rewards ticket. I got some funny looks at Durham - with gateline staff saying they'd never seen it before, but they were happy to let me through.

I did it because you were treated as a new customer on each train, and so got the first class comp options for each leg :)

Status
Not open for further replies.