• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alstom buys Bombardier Transportation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRAX

Established Member
What's this doing in the "International" section?
Its UK implications are huge.

Not as huge as its implications in the rest of the world. This is an international affair, don’t be so self-centered.
As ThameslinkUser said.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Not as huge as its implications in the rest of the world. This is an international affair, don’t be so self-centered.
As ThameslinkUser said.

Normally I'm quite EU/international-oriented.
I'm well aware how these companies are organised, and the global implications.
I'm just surprised the "keep Derby open" brigade have not surfaced.
Plenty of "what ifs" if you work for Alstom in the UK too.

Energy

Established Member
It will make HS2 interesting, Alstom now look a lot more likely as they have a factory (not just assembly site like Hitachi but I think Newton Aycliffe will be soon able to make body shells itself) in the UK, they made the pendolinos already used by Avanti and will maintain Avanti's Hitachi trains.

Mikey C

Established Member
As ThameslinkUser said.
But it also has a huge UK impact as well, which is far more relevant to 95% of people on this board

To me the "International" subforum should be more for events/news/decisions that have no direct impact on the UK

TRAX

Established Member
I get your points about the section, but is it really important ? It is after a fully international subject...

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It will make HS2 interesting, Alstom now look a lot more likely as they have a factory (not just assembly site like Hitachi but I think Newton Aycliffe will be soon able to make body shells itself) in the UK, they made the pendolinos already used by Avanti and will maintain Avanti's Hitachi trains.

Alstom don't have a direct manufacturing capability in the UK, and didn't build the UK Pendolinos (they did final assembly and fit out of the first batch at Washwood Heath).
Their new Widnes facility is capable of expanding its role, but I doubt if an AGV-type order would be "built" in the UK when the components are all from France.
A Zefiro-type order wouldn't necessarily be built in the UK either, as Hitachi have full facilities in Pistoia.

Mikey C

Established Member
I get your points about the section, but is it really important ? It is after a fully international subject...
I think the issue is that far fewer people look at this section than the UK ones. Indeed I'm only on this section because I'm following this one thread

TRAX

Established Member
Alstom don't have a direct manufacturing capability in the UK

They do now, in Derby.

I think the issue is that far fewer people look at this section than the UK ones. Indeed I'm only on this section because I'm following this one thread

Yes but this topic is quite quiet so it would quickly get lost in the abysses of the UK section pages.

Mikey C

Established Member
Yes but this topic is quite quiet so it would quickly get lost in the abysses of the UK section pages.
But then it's probably only quiet because nobody comes on this section :D

Giugiaro

- the grant of access to some of Bombardier’s products and interfaces of Train Control Management Systems and Signalling On-Board Units.

The Portuguese railway companies, including ones like Infraestruturas de Portugal, CP - Comboios de Portugal, Medway and Takargo Rail have asked for this grant specifically, since EBICAB 700 has been discontinued by Bombardier and there's a scramble for new ATC equipment in the country.

Now that two people lost their lives in consequence of the innexistence of such equipment in some rolling stock...

TRAX

Established Member
This went faster than I expected.

From today’s Alstom press release:

1 December 2020 – Alstom and Bombardier announced today that all necessary regulatory approvals required to complete the sale of Bombardier Transportation to Alstom have been received.
Alstom and Bombardier now expect the transaction to close on January 29, 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.