• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Altrincham Gas Works Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
This short railway ran along Moss Lane in Altrincham, my home town. I came across it on an IRS email group and wanted to find out more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

P.S. Is this a Railway or a Tramway ?

Interesting question it could be referred to as either, I think. It was steam powered after being horse drawn, it could be classed as an industrial railway, but rails were in the road over much of its length. It was not used for passengers, just for freight. .....

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Are any parts of the former gasworks tramway rails still in place in downtown Altrincham, or have they long since been lifted and/or tarmacked over?

I could not see any last time I was there a few weeks back, but other may know better. I have seen comments elsewhere which suggest some of the rails my be imbedded in lower levels of the road construction but not visible at the surface.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Interesting article thanks.

As a former resident of Alty and a current regular visitor to Moss Lane I wasn’t aware of this.

I’m assuming the gas works are where BTH school is and where the Shearings coach station was.

I’m pretty sure there was a Gasometer further down behind Alty FC where the new estate is (Welman Way?)

Moss Lane was their location to the East of the railway - the gasometer you remember was one of two on the site.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Moss Lane was their location to the East of the railway - the gasometer you remember was one of two on the site.
A fairly large gasworks then. Where the old red buildings on Moss lane part of it; the one which housed the Riley snooker club opposite Stamford Park?

Interesting to see the spur would have gone through the ice rink now

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Interesting to see the spur would have gone through the ice rink now
Looks like the Gas Works branch curved off from Altrincham station opposite (and on the far side from) the station approach, where the clock tower (built 1880) still is.

Presumably that would have meant that the only access to the Chester bound platform 4 at Altrincham would have been via the overbridge.

Interesting that when the gas works company purchased a diesel shunter in 1946, it kept breaking down, and so the previously acquired steam engine was retained by the company until closure of the tramway in c. 1958.

Revaulx

I'm from Alty. The gasworks and tramway closed when I was a tiny baby. I first learned of the tramway's existence when I was about 12 (1969-70) and explored its route pretty thoroughly. There were some rails still visible alongside the old Pickfords depostitory on Oakfield Road, but that was pretty much all.

Greybeard33

Established Member
According to Rail Map Online, the tramway left Moss Lane roughly along the alignment that is now Welman Way, and the Royal Mail Delivery Office is now on the former gasworks site.

Status
Not open for further replies.