• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I looking too early for flights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
During my Annual leave this Summer we are flying from the UK to China. We are flying from either Newcastle or Manchester to Chengdu, however our first two options (KLM from Newcastle change at Amsterdam and Etihad from Manchester change at Adu Dhabi) are showing as mega expensive online. 2 years ago I flew KLM to Chengdu and it was miles cheaper (showing, last time we looked over £1,000 per person, cost me about £600 last time). Does anyone have any tips or ideas when we should look for flights. Its the Wife's first trip home since coming to the UK so its essential we go!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
what dates are you looking at? Things are going to be quite expensive this summer with the Olympics on.

I tried Manchester for random June days on Hipmunk (it quotes in $ but gives a good overview of what is available) best I've seen is $900 with KLM - http://www.hipmunk.com/#!MAN.CTU,Jun05.Jun19@0,0

last week in July & first week in August. Even the prices to Beijing from London are bloody expensive too. I thought about the Olympics having an effect, but we should be going the opposite direction to spectators. At this rate I think we might use our FIPS and get the train to Paris or Brussels, however that would mean the Wife applying for a Schenzen Visa.

starrymarkb

Established Member
last week in July & first week in August. Even the prices to Beijing from London are bloody expensive too. I thought about the Olympics having an effect, but we should be going the opposite direction to spectators. At this rate I think we might use our FIPS and get the train to Paris or Brussels, however that would mean the Wife applying for a Schenzen Visa.

That's probably the best idea anyway, especially as you would then avoid UK Air Passenger Duty...

flymo

Established Member
I got booked up a couple of weeks ago coming the other way from Hong Kong to Newcastle for April/May. The prices for most of the flights via London were just stupidly expensive so opted for Emirates via Dubai. I accept however that EK do not fly to Chengdu so also probably not an option for you.

As a rule I tend to book about 3 months in advance if I can but obviously it's not always possible.

Also don't forget the taxes etc on many flights are higher than I have ever seen. For example from HKG to NCL via LHR I was looking at over £600 with around £300 of that in taxes and surcharges.

Good luck in your hunt.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
That's probably the best idea anyway, especially as you would then avoid UK Air Passenger Duty...

If I was going on my own, then I would be perfectly happy doing it that way, however the Wife just wants to get there ASAP (understandable) but she's not happy about the prices online. With a pit of puersuasion I might get her to come round to the idea. Just got quoted £1,446 for the two of us from Brussels, Lufthansa Brussels - Frankfurt, Air China Frankfurt - Beijing, then to Chengdu. Return is more straightforward with Hainain Airways Chengdu - Beijing then onto Brussels. She might just buy that considering PRIV to Brussels is pretty cheap, as is the PRIV Euro single Newcastle - London.

Might also try getting DFD's to Amsterdam, then KLM from there but she doesnt like travelling by Ship!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I got booked up a couple of weeks ago coming the other way from Hong Kong to Newcastle for April/May. The prices for most of the flights via London were just stupidly expensive so opted for Emirates via Dubai. I accept however that EK do not fly to Chengdu so also probably not an option for you.

As a rule I tend to book about 3 months in advance if I can but obviously it's not always possible.

Also don't forget the taxes etc on many flights are higher than I have ever seen. For example from HKG to NCL via LHR I was looking at over £600 with around £300 of that in taxes and surcharges.

Good luck in your hunt.

Yeah, I noticed that the taxes have seemed to rocket. Its shocking, only a few years ago I got quoted loads of flights for under £500 and all on National Carriers. I think we might have to settle for flying from a European Airport and using train to get there, which will add onto the journey time (not a problem for me but a big problem for my Wife) and the added time and expense of her having to apply for a Schenzen Visa

Status
Not open for further replies.