• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I too Old at 54 for a job in the Rail Industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good afternoon, I have been working in the travel trade since leaving school in 1977, but I would like a career change and I have a great interest in the public transport/mainly rail industry. Perhaps on a part time, 3 or 4 days per week basis. In the SWTrainland area, SW London. I will be 54 next birthday, but I wonder if my age would be a problem, I am still very youthful, keen & willing to learn. Any comments/suggestions would be gratefully received. Many Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leaffall

I'm on a trainee driver course and I'm 49, and I'm aware of people older getting in. I've heard anecdotally that the TOC's are generally happy if they can get ten productive years from you.

TDK

Established Member
I'm on a trainee driver course and I'm 49, and I'm aware of people older getting in. I've heard anecdotally that the TOC's are generally happy if they can get ten productive years from you.

It's 5 productive years for drivers so up to 58 is viable taking into account training and recruitment.

Aictos

Established Member
Simple answer-

No.

So get those forms filled in.

Agreed, one of my colleagues is 67/68 and he's still working so no I don't think there's a age limit, one colleague I think has done 50 years and is still happily working!

Beveridges

Established Member
I think TOC's generally want at least 3 productive years.

I only think this because of those schemes where you have to pay back the training costs if you leave too soon.

Some of the companies (e.g. DRS) who such a scheme. Generally once you have done 3 years you are clear to leave with no costs to pay back.

Sparkybill

I will be starting my driver course soon and I'm 56 so go for it! According to my FCC T & C's the retirement age is up to me so long as I can keep passing the medicals of course.

Clip

Established Member
Age generally is no barrier - I know of someone who was 63 when they joined a year or so ago.

Wolf

Definitely not too old , many drivers and conductors start in the 50s !

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you for your positive and supportive replies here. I will have a look at the job sites to see what may be suitable. I think it would need to be an office or platform based role, maybe on an information desk/counter as I do like trying to help people. (It would be good to get something in connection with steam traction etc, but in reality, that's not likely for a paid role on the main line charters. I know I could volunteer on the Bluebell, MHR or EOR, but I don't drive and they are all about 2 hours each way by public transport. I do need a paid position too.)

Last edited:

david_VI

I'm at the end of my training and one of the other guys is 54. Also one of the current drivers who just passed out earlier this year is also 54..

So sounds like a good age to me ;)

Beveridges

Established Member
Thank you for your positive and supportive replies here. I will have a look at the job sites to see what may be suitable. I think it would need to be an office or platform based role, maybe on an information desk/counter as I do like trying to help people. (It would be good to get something in connection with steam traction etc, but in reality, that's not likely for a paid role on the main line charters. I know I could volunteer on the Bluebell, MHR or EOR, but I don't drive and they are all about 2 hours each way by public transport. I do need a paid position too.)

To get a paid job driving steam you need to look at West Coast Railway Company.

They only take on qualified drivers though; usually freight as well, don't think they would consider taking on a unit driver. (Most entry level driving jobs are suburban unit work all stops)

You would have to do the following career path; local TOC driver > freight driver > WCRC steam driver.

That is unless you get straight in as a freight driver; that is not typical though.

Last edited:

Wizard2014

Like others have said, many start their rail career later in life, nothing to lose for applying, Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.