• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Bobdogs

The fat oaf advertising insurance.
Any betting adverts.
Especially the bald old bloke telling us he cares?
The annoying person of restricted growth dancing around in some sort of fantasy world.
The slimy bloke who plays with the cards.
And, who in their right mind would be tempted to part with their money by the bearded hill billy fronting the sly bet advert.

If that's recently, it's for the Halifax bank.
Awful, it shows a man watching his dog being put to sleep.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Any betting adverts.
The annoying person of restricted growth dancing around in some sort of fantasy world.
And, who in their right mind would be tempted to part with their money by the bearded hill billy fronting the sly bet advert.
It sounds to me as if you should be reaching for the "off" button, and possibly getting your blood pressure checked too. Is there any other group of people you'd care to offend? ;)

Bobdogs

The most humorous one at the moment is for the LNER on the local ITV channel.
The closest station to us is Nuneaton, don't see to many LNER trains on the West Coast Main Line, so a complete waste of money, obviously the advertisers don't know which franchise goes through which television area.
I live in Wild West Wales and get that advert despite our local station having closed in 1964

It sounds to me as if you should be reaching for the "off" button, and possibly getting your blood pressure checked too. Is there any other group of people you'd care to offend? ;)
Perhaps you could suggest some.
I would suggest that it's not me whose blood pressure needs checking.
I find it highly amusing that there are folk out there who will part with money on the strength of being taken in by these excruciatingly terrible adverts.
By the way, I bought my car insurance through G C through Google, not due to the tv advert.
So there

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
Any betting adverts.
Not all gambling ads are completely rubbish, some end with 'When the fun stops, stop!' which I've found to be very sound advice (it did in 19 hundred and something).

To be honest I get more annoyed about the companies' business model which appears to be 'lure the punter in, then do anything and everything to get every last pound from them irrespective of the harm it does'. Unfortunately, there are too many who cannot 'stop'. I just treat the desperate ads you mention as a sign that they may not be doing as well as they would like which, to me, is a plus (although i do agree that some you mention are particularly annoying). Half the time, I don't know who they're actually advertising which sort of misses the point.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not all gambling ads are completely rubbish, some end with 'When the fun stops, stop!' which I've found to be very sound advice (it did in 19 hundred and something).

To be honest I get more annoyed about the companies' business model which appears to be 'lure the punter in, then do anything and everything to get every last pound from them irrespective of the harm it does'. Unfortunately, there are too many who cannot 'stop'. I just treat the desperate ads you mention as a sign that they may not be doing as well as they would like which, to me, is a plus (although i do agree that some you mention are particularly annoying). Half the time, I don't know who they're actually advertising which sort of misses the point.
As far as I can understand, the only "fun" is that enjoyed by the companies who seem to ask for a certain amount of money to be paid upfront.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
This firm's adverts are starting to become even more annoying than those of Domino's pizza. And some bloke trussed up with gaffer tape in the car's boot. Really?! :(

DunsBus

Established Member
Oral B Pro-Active Toothpaste. The voiceover implies that the first thing which dentists do when they get home each evening is to clean their teeth with the said toothpaste.

Omaze charity draw ads. Every time I hear "it's time to head for the beach/country/sun" or whatever, it's time for me to hit the mute button. That lady's voice is so annoying!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Oral B Pro-Active Toothpaste. The voiceover implies that the first thing which dentists do when they get home each evening is to clean their teeth with the said toothpaste.

Omaze charity draw ads. Every time I hear "it's time to head for the beach/country/sun" or whatever, it's time for me to hit the mute button. That lady's voice is so annoying!

Thank god its not me then who finds the Omaze voice annoying!

"To win this house worth 5 and a half mmmmmmiiillion pounds..AND the caaaaaaarr.."

Remember the Oral B one with the 'customer' who "didn't even know they did a toothpaste!!" but I see that was later cut out probably as someone realised it sounded stupid!

BluePenguin

On Moderation
The most humorous one at the moment is for the LNER on the local ITV channel.
The closest station to us is Nuneaton, don't see to many LNER trains on the West Coast Main Line, so a complete waste of money, obviously the advertisers don't know which franchise goes through which television area.
Similarly, for some bizarre reason Great Western Railway sponsors the ITV Meridian weather. Clearly they are interested in advertising to viewers in Kent and Sussex

I remember seeing the Famous Five adverts in 2018 and thinking that it was mistake, then a marketing play. Now several years later I am not sure why GWR want to advertise to me. The closest stations to us they operate from are Redhill, Gatwick and Paddington.

Butts

Veteran Member
Forget the Smoking Ban....

It sounds like we definitely need "Happiness is a Cigar Called Hamlet - The Mild Cigar from Benson & Hedges" back with Gregor and his dodgy syrup adorning our screens.

Who else was there ? Castella and Manikin Cigars plus the Clan, St Bruno and Gold Block Pipe Tobacco adds.

Those were the days.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

It sounds like we definitely need "Happiness is a Cigar Called Hamlet - The Mild Cigar from Benson & Hedges" back with Gregor and his dodgy syrup adorning our screens.

Who else was there ? Castella and Manikin Cigars plus the Clan, St Bruno and Gold Block Pipe Tobacco adds.

Those were the days.
I can remember...."You're never alone with a Strand"

***************************************************************************************************
Still harking back to days of yore....

"Things happen after a Badedas bath" (something that was supposed to have chestnut essence in it)

Being inquisitive in my younger days, I tried it for a month or so.....but nothing happened!!!

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Still harking back to days of yore....

"Things happen after a Badedas bath" (something that was supposed to have chestnut essence in it)

Being inquisitive in my younger days, I tried it for a month or so.....but nothing happened!!!
Was this an annoying advert, though? o_O

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Those were the days.

Yes, where the bog roll rolls out under the privvy door. That was a good one.

JamesT

Established Member
Similarly, for some bizarre reason Great Western Railway sponsors the ITV Meridian weather. Clearly they are interested in advertising to viewers in Kent and Sussex

I remember seeing the Famous Five adverts in 2018 and thinking that it was mistake, then a marketing play. Now several years later I am not sure why GWR want to advertise to me. The closest stations to us they operate from are Redhill, Gatwick and Paddington.

The Southern and Western (Thames Valley) parts of the Meridian region are very much within GWRs area of operation. Presumably they had to sponsor the Eastern part as well as a bulk deal?

I think the advertising agency concerned were being too clever for their own good and paid the price for it.

They also broadcast to Hampshire, Dorset, Wiltshire and Oxfordshire. You may not realise this if you watch on HD TV as that only does the south east, the other version is on Channel 3 rather than cannel 103. One version is done live, the other is pre-recorded by the same presenters and are transmitted at the same time.

Ediswan

Established Member
Being pedantic, it was not a syrup, but a ludicrously optimistic comb over.

2 more awful ads. The one for the carpet cleaning powder with the bikes and the dogs going through the carpeted lounge, then talking about hoovering rather than vacuuming up the powder.

And the Lenor one with some odd people in a bed in the middle of a field enthusing about the smell of the bedding.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Lying prostrate on a settee in the lounge with heat related problems yesterday, I saw an advert (no idea what it was for) in which different people in the same room seemed to be having a Frankie Howerd-type competition saying "OOOOOOOOOH". Any idea which product was being marketed?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Lying prostrate on a settee in the lounge with heat related problems yesterday, I saw an advert (no idea what it was for) in which different people in the same room seemed to be having a Frankie Howerd-type competition saying "OOOOOOOOOH". Any idea which product was being marketed?
Yes, 'SumUp' small business card payments machines.

Already been mentioned upthread.

See posts #165 and #186.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Yes, 'SumUp' small business card payments machines.

Already been mentioned upthread.

See posts #165 and #186.
My apologies. I had never seen this advert before and was really suffering from the oppressive heat lying flat out on a settee when the advert came on. It was not until 0300 this morning when I woke up did I decide to make the posting, in which I did say I did not know what product was being marketed.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
But which you may need to see/hear more than once to work out what they're selling.
Not exactly doing their job if that message hasn't immediately gotten across to potential users of the product/service (small business owners?)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is now a separate thread for reminiscing about TV adverts (that aren't necessarily annoying ;)):

Busaholic

Veteran Member
'This is luxury you can afford. from Cyril Lord' - half sung, with emphasis on the words afford and Lord, who flogged carpets before hie companies went bust in 1968, taking lots of people's deposits with them. Every expense was served in the advert, with the rhyme most definitely not one of T.S. Eliot's best. :)