• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Flange Squeal

Established Member
No one mentioned Schofield and We buy any car...
Seems to be man of the minute as he’s also currently in an advert for (I think) a gin club, where he is seemingly annoyed/upset the lady he’s delivering the gin to seems more interested in the gin than being wowed by him on her doorstep.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sprinter107

I hate them too: I think Parkinson did them originally, then stopped doing them but they still used his name, but now no more.

I'm the executor of an older friend's will and I'm pleased that I convinced him not to buy one of these plans ... for some people they might be appropriate, but I told him that I could afford to pay for everything myself and claim the money back from his estate in due course, he's got the money for sure! So I hope I gave him peace of mind without him having to give money to people I see as slightly better than bloodsuckers.

EDIT to correct my grammar and spelling!
Absolutely hate those adverts. On principal, id never take out a policy with them, as they annoy me nearly every advert break. I'm led to believe that even if you've been paying for years, and you've paid in more than you actually need, should you miss a payment fir whatever reason, (bank error maybe), then the policy is then void and you get nothing. If this is the case, then I despise them for it.

Butts

Veteran Member
Shame The Hamlet Cigar Adverts cannot return .... (Gregor's syrup slipping in the Photo Booth)

"Happiness is a Cigar called Hamlet....The Mild Cigar from Benson & Hedges"

Or The PG Tips Chimps. Loved them.

Or even Monkey and Vegas ....their successors.

As for my views on current adverts.....

Whatever their quality too many of them abound between programs, not just for products but also for forthcoming shows.

Last edited:

eoff

Mostly don't see adverts because I would watch a recording to avoid them and any "what is coming next"/"what have we just seen" padding in programmes. Particular ones I don't like.

Paula — well if your employer thinks your broadband is not good enough they can pay to upgrade it.
Pupdates
Smart Meters — I can't see how I would ever save the cost that was gouged from my bills to pay for them.
Advert for any product where the UK name was changed

From the past:

Shake n' vac

apk55

The ones I do not like are where they try and make them as loud as possible - often with distorted beat music. This incudes many gambling adverts also BT and EE. Maybe ok for a target market of drunken morons watching a football match but for somebody watching a quiet wildlife or historic program they invariably get me to hit the mute button as they are at a painful volume.

JamesT

Established Member
"Can you go on mute Paula!" That one, if I was Paula I'd have told her to bog off.

Also all the adverts that have been covidised.

Those irritate me as they conflate broadband and WiFi, like many ISP adverts.

Gareth

Established Member
There was also that BT advert with the man having his teenage daughter over for the weekend and they're planning to play online games. But the game they're playing freezes. Cue James Nesbitt: "there's never a good time for the internet to go down!". Like, no ****!

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Those irritate me as they conflate broadband and WiFi, like many ISP adverts.
Indeed my Broadband is very good but my wifi was poor as the Virgin hub is rubbish. I bought a Wifi router and turned my Hub into a modem and voila I have good wifi

daddy_badger

You may find that you get targeted ads, this is moreso with S K Y. Those bamboo undercrackers ad annoys me. Then there is the discreet underwear that's apparently (un)sexy, crikey a bit of leakage will certainly put the dampener on the nocturnal activities.

Try talking about fish finger sandwiches with your smartphone in ear shot, see what ads you get when you browse the interweb.

dgl

Established Member
The Halifax aderts with Hannah Barbara characters, so you really think that an adult is going to choose your product because you have cartoon characters in it, let alone trust a bank which has been knowingly dodgy.

and as has been said any gambling advert, always making it sound like it's so much fun, and how you can always set limits. Like they really care if you get in over your head as it's just more money for them.

pdeaves

Established Member
The Halifax aderts with Hannah Barbara characters, so you really think that an adult is going to choose your product because you have cartoon characters in it, let alone trust a bank which has been knowingly dodgy.
Well, to be fair, InterCity West Coast (just before privatisation) used Mr Men (specifically Mr Happy) to target business travellers. Maybe such advertising does work! :)

Gareth

Established Member
Hot girls in your area, sitting at home bored and just waiting to talk to you.

Gareth

Established Member
Most, if you're watching TV in the early hours. Or at least it was, back in the day. Perhaps the internet has killed off those chat lines.

I do hold a bit of nostalgia for 0891 50! 50!! 50!!!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Most, if you're watching TV in the early hours. Or at least it was, back in the day. Perhaps the internet has killed off those chat lines.

I do hold a bit of nostalgia for 0891 50! 50!! 50!!!

I remember that ad too !

I can't help thinking of the Priests chat line in Father Ted :lol:

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
There's an advert out there for a home security system that bugs me on two counts.

First, why are they advertising the idea of getting a system installed after a break-in.

Second, is their call centre staffed entirely by androids, or is it just the one they used for filming?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Over the festive period, there was a really annoying advert for Dreamies cat treats. The reason it annoyed me so much was that it made no narrative sense: At the beginning, a little boy is in his house and shaking the Christmas gifts under the tree, but one of them is the aforementioned treats so the boy's pet cat starts to chase him. For some reason the boy leaves the house to escape his own pet cat which of course means that all the neighbourhood cats start to chase him through the snow. He finally reaches what is hopefully his own back garden, only to find that he is still surrounded by dozens of cats. There are a number of issues here:
1) The treats are for cats, so why is the kid hoarding them? When I was at school we had a name for kids who ate pet food.
2) The kid has a pet cat, but is obviously quite petrified of them. The parents (who are mysteriously absent) need to look at their domestic situation.
3) The cats are after the treats, not seeking to maul and devour the kid (I assume). Just let the cats have the treats you dumb little toerag!

I think a copywriter must have had a fever-dream and didn't think the concept through very well before going ahead with production.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I think a copywriter must have had a fever-dream and didn't think the concept through very well before going ahead with production.
Reckon you may well be right with that and with quite a few other ads that have somehow seen the light of day.

Maybe dreamt up by an ad agency not too dissimilar in form and substance to the fictional PR company "Perfect Curve" that featured in the Olympic Games related mockumentary "Twenty Twelve".

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I really loathe those ones wherew the adults are dubbed with childrens voices.

Fortunately I haven't seen them for a while.
I can't take any brand who thinks that's clever remotely seriously. Especially as the Comedy sketch show "Big Train" took the mick out of that twenty years ago:

birchesgreen

Established Member
Reckon you may well be right with that and with quite a few other ads that have somehow seen the light of day.

Maybe dreamt up by an ad agency not too dissimilar in form and substance to the fictional PR company "Perfect Curve" that featured in the Olympic Games related mockumentary "Twenty Twelve".
It does sound a bit of a cliche but having been around the industry for a number of years a lot of advertising people are indeed on cocaine. Which may explain a lot.

My only vices were real ale and diesel locomotives of course.

jfollows

Established Member
Smart Meters — I can't see how I would ever save the cost that was gouged from my bills to pay for them.
Absolutely, an idea which is past its time, I see no point in them. Yes, the supplier can read your meter remotely; unfortunately it appears that bad people can also access your meter and, for example, work out whether or not anyone is at home. I find a mobile phone camera more than suitable for reading my meters, which I do regularly, and provide the information to my supplier as well as keeping my own record. They've never once asked for "proof", interestingly enough. The only time recently someone came to read the meter he screwed up with a "7" in place of a "2" in a rather significant digit, which caused me annoyance with getting the subsequent monster bill reversed. I guess a "smart" meter might have avoided this particular problem.

And then it transpired that anyone with a smart meter couldn't switch supplier any more! This one might be fixed by now, but the whole charade has been to benefit the supplier and not to benefit me in any way.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
And then it transpired that anyone with a smart meter couldn't switch supplier any more!
Indeed! It's almost as if that was the underlying intention all along! :rolleyes:

(Appreciate that you can switch supplier with a first generation smart meter, but it's more than likely that such a meter won't fully function properly, post transfer).

Welly

Since I was a teenager, I have been using the mute button on my remote control to cut off the ad sounds when watching non BBC TV.

I also use uBlock Origin for my browser when watching YouTube so I have never seen any awful YouTube advert at all.

I consider the above inventions to be the second and third greatest contribution to human civilisation after the sewage systems.

Gareth

Established Member
And then there's the actual BBC which has breaks between programmes so long it may as well run commercials.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Actually the most annoying advert recently is a cringeworthy and self-congratulatory one that regularly crops up on YouTube and other apps for... The BBC!

ABB125

Established Member
Grammarly adverts on the internet. They've been going on for years. Given that the service is supposedly free, how are all the adverts paid for?