• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another One Looking For A Darwin Award? (Woman climbs under train to recover shopping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

applepie2100

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I am lost for words at the stupidity of some people.

I always remember the famous Yes Prime Minister sketch of who reads the papers "The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people that run the country" The papers pander to their readers prejudices.

Last edited:

alxndr

Established Member

A daring woman shocked passengers when she climbed underneath a ScotRail train to retrieve shopping which had fallen onto the tracks as she boarded.

The traveller had been boarding a train at Troon station in Ayrshire on Tuesday when items appeared to drop from a bag onto the tracks beneath the locomotive.

Footage from the incident shows two onlookers passing the woman products which had missed the gap as she moved her shopping bags safely inside the train.

She then returned to the train doors as a fellow passenger told her 'we cannot get down', but moments later she made the dangerous decision to ease herself below the train.

Another woman stood with her arm blocking the train door in an apparent attempt to stop the locomotive from leaving the station.

She emerged with the lost bag a few seconds later, throwing the item inside the train as the cameraman said: 'I've never seen anything like it in my life.'

The passenger then boarded the train as the clip came to an end.

ScotRail today reminded the public 'not to trespass anywhere on the railway' as they could be at risk of 'serious injury.'

A spokesperson added: 'We're aware of an incident where a customer climbed down on the tracks at Troon station on Tuesday, 8 September, which has been reported to the relevant authorities.

'We take this opportunity to remind people not to trespass anywhere on the railway as they put themselves and others at risk of serious injury.'

British Transport Police has been contacted for comment.

Absolute madness. I also despair at the fact that someone has chosen to stand there filming and do nothing useful. If the train had departed then part of the blood would have been on their hands.

py_megapixel

Established Member
How on earth did the shopping end up under the train to begin with?

How is a multiple unit a "locomotive"?
It obviously isn't. But I think most rail enthusaists have become pretty immune to the poor fact-checking in journalism in general, especially regarding the railways, and especially in the Mail.

Last edited:

alxndr

Established Member
What could they have done instead? Drag the woman back up?

Try to stop her going under the train in the first place, alert the guard if there is one, and/or pull the passcom. Any attempt to do something, even if it's the wrong thing or ineffective, would be better than just being a passive bystander.

broadgage

What could they have done instead? Drag the woman back up?

If on the train, pull the emergency alarm, as has already been suggested.
If on the platform, run towards the driving cab, shouting STOP DANGER at the driver.
Place luggage or a shoe, or oneself so as to obstruct the closing of the doors.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Certainly reckless but in this instance it doesn't appear to have been as dangerous as it could have been - it's OLE territory so no third rails to watch out for, and there was another woman blocking the doors from closing/the train being dispatched. It would have been a safety of the line incident for the train to move under those circumstances (quite ignoring the woman who stepped down to the track). Of course the woman was unlikely to have considered any of this.

Still, I have dropped things in the PTI before and it wasn't a big deal to get them back - station staff went and retrieved the items using a "granny grabber". So no need to engage this sort of risk.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Would staff have been able to see what's going on here. Or would there have been an easy way of alerting staff

py_megapixel

Established Member
Place luggage or a shoe, or oneself so as to obstruct the closing of the doors.
To be fair, there was someone holding the doors open. It looked like it was either a Desiro or a 385 so it'll have beam sensors (or equivalent) to stop the doors closing if something is in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
To be fair, there was someone holding the doors open. It looked like it was either a Desiro or a 385 so it'll have beam sensors (or equivalent) to stop the doors closing if something is in the way.

As far as I'm aware those only stop the doors closing automatically. If the door close signal is sent by the guard then the doors are going to close whether or not they're blocked.

py_megapixel

Established Member
As far as I'm aware those only stop the doors closing automatically. If the door close signal is sent by the guard then the doors are going to close whether or not they're blocked.
Aah... I assumed that the guard wouldn't shut the doors if there was an obstruction, though it's possible (s)he would be unable to see it.

In any case if I was in that situation I'd be heading straight for the passcom, which I assume would be the correct course of action?

applepie2100

Aah... I assumed that the guard wouldn't shut the doors if there was an obstruction, though it's possible (s)he would be unable to see it.

In any case if I was in that situation I'd be heading straight for the passcom, which I assume would be the correct course of action?

From the video it looks like a class 380 and it's operating in driver only territory. I'm pretty sure that the class 380 has a passcom and emergency door release in every doorway so as soon as she was down there I'd have been going for either of those.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I removed a post that contained completely incorrect information to avoid confusion.

For the avoidance of doubt, many train companies have reached agreement with the Unions for ticket checks to resume; there is a thread to discuss whether you've had your ticket checked on your journey here:

We also had a thread about the long term impact of the lack of ticket checks, which can be found at:

The problem is now the railway is seen as free and lawless as buying a ticket is either optional or not....
I do not know if Scotrail and the Unions have yet come to an agreement regarding the checking of tickets on these trains, but I can assure you that on the trains in this incident, under normal circumstances my experience has been of extremely efficient, helpful and friendly staff constantly selling & checking tickets. If you wish to disagree that's fine but can I suggest discussing it in one of the existing threads related to that topic (or create a new one if you don't think any of them covers your point).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Once had an occasion when travelling on old slam door Class 304 stock when a fellow passenger rushing to exit the train knocked a small parcel out of my hands which promptly fell down into the gap between the train and the platform and on to the track.

Spoke with the guard who arranged with the driver to draw the train forward 25 yards or so, in order that the parcel could be retrieved, then back on the train, and off we went, with maybe a one minute delay, which probably wouldn't happen nowadays! :rolleyes:

175mph

On Moderation
Once had an occasion when travelling on old slam door Class 304 stock when a fellow passenger rushing to exit the train knocked a small parcel out of my hands which promptly fell down into the gap between the train and the platform and on to the track.

Spoke with the guard who arranged with the driver to draw the train forward 25 yards or so, in order that the parcel could be retrieved, then back on the train, and off we went, with maybe a one minute delay, which probably wouldn't happen nowadays! :rolleyes:
If you don't mind me asking, what year, (or what decade if you cannot remember the exact year) did that happen?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If you don't mind me asking, what year, (or what decade if you cannot remember the exact year) did that happen?
Would have been sometime between mid 1988 and end 1991. Location was Sale station on an Altrincham bound service.

You weren't the alighting passenger, were you? ;)

Donny_m

On Moderation
I’ve yanked a dog from under a Wessex trains dmu at Teignmouth that slipped down, owner didn’t even say thanks.

syorksdeano

I’ve yanked a dog from under a Wessex trains dmu at Teignmouth that slipped down, owner didn’t even say thanks.
I'm off to get my eyes tested or going to bed, as I thought I thought you had said something else about the dog

Meerkat

Established Member
Ignoring the Darwin Award application the real danger here is that the platform to step gap is so big a passenger can climb down quite easily - if they can climb down they can very easily fall down.

najaB

Veteran Member
Ignoring the Darwin Award application the real danger here is that the platform to step gap is so big a passenger can climb down quite easily - if they can climb down they can very easily fall down.
Not necessarily. The vertical gap might be big enough to wriggle through but the overlap of the step means that the horizontal gap (as seen from above) is small. Think of a set of open stairs - there's enough room for a slim person to squeeze between the risers but nobody would fall through the gap in normal use.

Meerkat

Established Member
Not necessarily. The vertical gap might be big enough to wriggle through but the overlap of the step means that the horizontal gap (as seen from above) is small. Think of a set of open stairs - there's enough room for a slim person to squeeze between the risers but nobody would fall through the gap in normal use.
I accept your point, but the photos seem to show a big gap in both directions

najaB

Veteran Member
I accept your point, but the photos seem to show a big gap in both directions
She does appear to have to bend somewhat to fit into the space. Yes, the gap is a bit on the large side, but I don't think there's a massive risk of the average punter ending up falling through the gap. If you were to slip on the step (or miss it entirely) your momentum would carry you to the platform.

There are some stations - e.g. Platform 2 at Perth where there is a quite sizable horizontal gap.

Meerkat

Established Member
She does appear to have to bend somewhat to fit into the space. Yes, the gap is a bit on the large side, but I don't think there's a massive risk of the average punter ending up falling through the gap. If you were to slip on the step (or miss it entirely) your momentum would carry you to the platform.

There are some stations - e.g. Platform 2 at Perth where there is a quite sizable horizontal gap.
I guess the response would be ‘new vs grandfathered old stuff’ but it just seems silly insisting on uncomfortable and viewblockingly tall seats for the extremely unlikely chance of being in a fire/crash when getting on board the thing in the first place has an obvious risk.

Pete_uk

Established Member
We'll, I guess shopping costs money and depending on what it was and what it cost she may have felt perfectly justified in getting her shopping back.

Still a daft thing to do though!

Meerkat

Established Member
We'll, I guess shopping costs money and depending on what it was and what it cost she may have felt perfectly justified in getting her shopping back.

Still a daft thing to do though!
Maybe the railway could learn from her quick risk assessment and implementation of a mitigation!

Status
Not open for further replies.