• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anti-maskers given free roam to post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

king_walnut

If I see someone who I feel is misinformed I will try to put my point across in the hope of changing their view. Banning people is a ridiculous idea.

fireftrm

Not when they are putting across dangerous stuff and not listening to the truth, your prior post shows that you aren’t someone who could sensibly discuss

Hoist by your own petard me thinks

YorksLad12

Established Member
I for one will defend the right of anyone who wants to post while not wearing a mask. Or, as in my current case, trousers.

Pshambro

Never thought I would type this but I preferred the seat chat and class 800 9 car vs 5. Funny how things turn out !

fireftrm

This is in relation to a post in heritage which the forum ‘rules’ mean that any reply I make is compiled into prior posts. There’s an anti-masker there

Is this a troll?

It just seems a bit random to post.... and in the wrong section.
Which is the right section to complain about anti-maskers posting freely?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
This is in relation to a post in heritage which the forum ‘rules’ mean that any reply I make is compiled into prior posts. There’s an anti-masker there

I'd assume General Discussion... or the COVID section.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Maybe post here.

or here.

Journeyman

Established Member
Well, I generally follow the mask rules because I want a quiet life and I don't want to cause hassle for other people, but there’s virtually no evidence they actually do anything.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It’s utterly disgusting that such people can use this forum
Which people?

People are entitled to not wear masks. They are also equally entitled to wear masks, whether they be effective ones or ineffective ones.

If you have a problem with any forum post, this needs to be reported using the report button. In your report, please state which part(s) of the post are causing concern and what rule(s) you think may have been broken and/or what your concerns are. Please do not re-publish any posts that are reported as causing concern and please do not respond/react to them or make any other reference to them on any forum post.

flitwickbeds

As of today it is not a requirement to wear a mask anywhere except where the owner enforces it on their private property. For transport that's largely London Underground.

So anyone who chooses not to wear a mask outside of those settings is not (necessarily) anti-mask, just making a choice.

I travelled into London today without a mask and it was a true blessing. For weeks, no - months, I have been forced to wear a mask despite being the only person in the entire carriage on most trips. When I'm not, there's generally only one or two more and they're at least 5 meters away. All that time I have risked an up-to £10k fine for daring to not cover my mouth when I'm on my own in a metal tube. I go to work, interact with dozens of colleagues, use multiple facilities, sometimes even go to the pub surrounded by dozens more people. In none of those scenarios am I obliged to wear a mask nor maintain social distance.

Then it's back to me and the driver on a train departing at gone-midnight on the way home where I'm facing that £10k fine again should I dare to de-mask.

Am I "anto-mask" too?

VauxhallandI

Established Member

Got to be a troll; 7/10

fireftrm

This was someone who was whinging about having to wear a mask, the useless government have said it’s up to businesses to say whether mask should be worn, or not, whilst allowing Covid to run free. People who have to work on railways deserve to be safe at work and anti-maskers deserve nothing

py_megapixel

Established Member
Preventing people from participating in discussion because they will express opinions you disagree with is just a few steps away from a completely censored Orwellian society. Is that what you want?

I don't agree with a lot of the views posted on this forum. This includes both Covid-related and more widely. I know I have posted opinions in the past which other people disagree with - often those opinions have been ill-informed in which case I change them according to new information I have acquired, but sometimes they are either sufficiently trivial, sufficiently subjective, or sufficiently likely to change with one's disposition that 'agree to disagree' is the correct (and often only) solution.

However, regardless of the outcome, the presence of conflicting opinions is a sign of a healthy society where citizens feel they have freedom to express themselves as they want, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice that.

Therefore one of the very, very few cases where preventing expression of an opinion is acceptable as far as I am concerned is where it poses a direct threat to freedom of expression (which anti-maskers, however disgusting you may find them, don't). And there are some opinions that are at direct odds with everyone being allowed freedom of expression - the people who argue that LGBT+ people should not show their true selves in public is an example - which I find ironic and horrible.

Scotrail12

This was someone who was whinging about having to wear a mask, the useless government have said it’s up to businesses to say whether mask should be worn, or not, whilst allowing Covid to run free. People who have to work on railways deserve to be safe at work and anti-maskers deserve nothing
Do you believe in freedom of speech?

Failed Unit

Established Member
you are aware some people can’t wear masks for medical reasons? I would be stuck in the house if I had to wear a mask. I am no more at risk of catching COVID then people wearing masks (unless I am missing something)

Scotrail12

Even when what they say is outright lies? Go on argue that

Free speech has its limits
I'd say it's perfectly justified to question some of these health measures given where we're at with the pandemic and the impact that it has on people's lives. It's really quite unpleasant to those who have issues with mask wearing to be acting like this.

Feel free to point out what is a lie and provide a fair rebuttal to what they say. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.