• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anti-maskers given free roam to post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
Even when what they say is outright lies? Go on argue that

Free speech has its limits
There's a difference between outright lies and taking a different position in a perfect reasonable and well-contested scientific debate.

I'm sorry that you appear to have got the wrong end of the stick, although it's not entirely surprising considering some of the nonsense that's appearing in the press. There's really nothing misleading, inaccurate or unreasonable in questioning the value of masks.

bramling

Veteran Member
It’s utterly disgusting that such people can use this forum

If you don’t agree then no doubt you will be quite happy to articulate a convincing case why - in your opinion - such people are wrong.

In any case, masks are history now in many settings, so time to move on. Meanwhile there’s always the option for proper filtering masks for those who feel they need protection from others.

flitwickbeds

Not the person you were responding to, but challenge accepted.

Free speech is exactly that. Anyone is entitled to say anything they like, to anyone, in any location and at any time. Anything less than that is censorship - either self-imposed or mandated by, eg, government. Equally, if not more, important is the right for someone to NOT speak freely. I can choose to remain silent, that is part of free speech (or, more accurately, free expression).

If you don't like someone using their right to free expression, use your own right to free expression and debate them. With facts. Opting to ban them usually means your argument (or arguing skills) are weak.

fireftrm

ISO I need to provide the endless amounts of scientific evidence yet they are free to spout lies? But, yes I will - I’ll start with the latest studies which show that makes wearing reduced the speltwad of coronavirus by 50% - ONS

Scotrail12

ISO I need to provide the endless amounts of scientific evidence yet they are free to spout lies? But, yes I will - I’ll start with the latest studies which show that makes wearing reduced the speltwad of coronavirus by 50% - ONS
A lot of people have done their homework and researched it rather than just pulling arguments out of thin air.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Please enlighten us and provide a link to said studies. They need to be peer reviewed to have any scientific value.

fireftrm

But hey please tell us how 5G spreads the virus, the vaccine is magnetic and causes you to grow limbs, Rail Forums will be delighted and not stop you

Failed Unit

Established Member
If masks work that well, why are we seeing so many cases at the moment? Why can’t we see a drop in the numbers when they were introduced last year?

Scotrail12

But hey please tell us how 5G spreads the virus, the vaccine is magnetic and causes you to grow limbs, Rail Forums will be delighted and not stop you
I think any conspiracies of that level would be debunked on here.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The vaccine actually contains a semi-conductor used to track you. That is why it is impossible to get lots of consumer electronics at the moment. Source D Duck, Orlando. (Disclaimer this is not true)

roversfan2001

Established Member
Another locktivist favourite, a good old strawman argument. Carry on, this is hilarious.

superalbs

Established Member

Pro-maskers given free roam to post​

It’s utterly disgusting that such people can use this forum.

Looks a bit daft now, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

takno

Established Member

I don't recall anybody saying any of those things on this forum, and if they did them I'm sure that pretty much everyone would have pointed out how absurd they were. That's how free speech and rational debate work.

Masks are absolutely nothing to do with any of that fringe nonsense, which is why we continue to have a lively debate on them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

If you think someone is lying, you have two choices:
1) you can challenge them - this must be done in a constructive way
2) you can report the post - if you think the post breaks any rules.

But take a look at this post; do you consider the member of SAGE to be lying?
This forum is like a far right one. Quite appalling
The forum is politically neutral.

Individual moderators are entitled to their own opinions; they might be left or right leaning. I consider myself left leaning, but how do you define left?

I consider myself to be liberal in terms of human rights and consider mandatory mask wearing to be overly authoritarian. I am also extremely concerned at the rights of people with anxieties, medical conditions and hidden disabilities, which are infringed by mandatory masks. I do not see this as a left vs right matter at all.

If you want to accuse me of being too libertarian in terms of civil liberties, then that's fine, feel free to make that accusation, but if I am deemed to be 'right wing', I'd love to know what definition of right wing I meet!

Has anyone actually made such claims?

If they did, we'd have a choice whether to remove them or retain them. Depending on how it's worded, and whether any replies had already been submitted before the post was reported to us, I'd be tempted to allow them to stand on the basis that the disinformation would be robustly challenged.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer when it comes to disinformation; if we delete it we could be accused of stifling free speech (though there is no right to free speech on any website, per se) and we also could be deleting some excellent responses/rebuttals. But if we allow the disinformation to stand, we could be accused of being a site that allows disinformation. Therefore, we'd have to treat each case on its own merits. We may not always make the best decision, but we will try.

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
Shall we start asking the moderators to ban people who prefer coach travel from using the forum, because they must be inherently anti-railway?

I feel like that's the kind of level we're on now.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Didn't "anti-vaxxer" concerns prove true on Astrazenica blood clot risks which lead to an actual change in NHS policy, leading to under 40s getting the Pfizer instead?

If that was all swept under the carpet, instead of being public, then trust in this vaccine system would of collapsed to zero. Luckily the government has been transparent on risks and deaths from the jab, and that compares as a minor risk compared to the virus.
We all have a choice if we want to be injected or not, that is a good thing. I had my 1st jab, it gave me head aches, severe cramp, and tiredness for a week, but I'm okay now, there's not much to worry about jab wise. Having it or not won't make much difference for most under 60s.

Imagine if the government said tomorrow morning that all Flat-Earth theories were illegal and banned from everywhere...
The public would not forget about the nonsense theory, they would instead feel that there might be some truth to it.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
anti-maskers deserve nothing
Yeah, this is quite the slippery slope you're on here pal.
This forum is like a far right one. Quite appalling
I can assure you that after almost 4k postings, this forum is not far right.
Via the bill gates designed google/amazon microchips in vaccines, of course.*
Didn't "anti-vaxxer" concerns prove true on Astrazenica blood clot risks which lead to an actual change in NHS policy, leading to under 40s getting the Pfizer instead?

If that was all swept under the carpet, instead of being public, then trust in this vaccine system would of collapsed to zero. Luckily the government has been transparent on risks and deaths from the jab, and that compares as a minor risk compared to the virus.
We all have a choice if we want to be injected or not, that is a good thing. I had my 1st jab, it gave me head aches, severe cramp, and tiredness for a week, but I'm okay now, there's not much to worry about jab wise. Having it or not won't make much difference for most under 60s.
Pretty much this. It's good that these issues were found and reported on so to prevent serious health problems that could result in death.
Imagine if the government said tomorrow morning that all Flat-Earth theories were illegal and banned from everywhere...
Again, this.

*Caution, this may have been said in jest. Authoritarians and lockdown lovers be advised.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is an example where if someone said they believed the vaccine was not worth getting due to a risk of blood clots, I'd probably be inclined to let a post of that nature stand (providing it's in a suitable thread and not off topic etc) on the basis that it could be rebutted.

I'd argue that the risk of blood clots is extremely low, though not zero. But the alternative of not being vaccinated is almost certainly to be infected with Sars-CoV-2 as it is now endemic. While most people are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms, anyone who is into betting (or simply making rational choices based on probabilities!) would get the vaccine on the basis that the chances of blood clots through natural infection in an unvaccinated individual are far higher than the chances of blood clots through the vaccine (both risks are low)

The public would not forget about the nonsense theory, they would instead feel that there might be some truth to it.
I was once on a train where a Flat Earther handed out leaflets, between Inverness and Wick/Thurso; we had an interesting conversation and asked them some challenging questions and in the end they gave up. It was actually quite amusing

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
One of the problems with masks (and indeed other restrictions, such as lockdowns) is that, right from the very start, some people on the authoritarian left tried to portray it as a left vs right matter, when it's actually on the authoritarian vs libertarian axis.

This explains why so many people have come to feel politically homeless; this has all been discussed on other threads, incidentally, I will try to find a link...

Edit: the most relevant thread is this one:

And some other threads where this cropped up:

Last edited:

hst43102

One of the problems with masks is that, right from the very start, some people on the authoritarian left tried to portray it as a left vs right matter, when it's actually on the authoritarian vs libertarian axis.
To be fair I think that's a very American way of looking at it - masks have become such a political status symbol over there and it appears to have spread over here.
I started a thread about political homelessness here : https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...c-made-you-move-further-left-or-right.213323/

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
To be fair I think that's a very American way of looking at it - masks have become such a political status symbol over there and it appears to have spread over here
The key difference is that it's become a Democrat vs Republican thing over there; here it's much more nuanced and complex.

Masks reduce the virus spread, fact
FFP2/3 masks do prevent virus particles from spreading, I agree.

However the standard flimsy loose-fitting masks that complied with mask mandates do not, according to a member of SAGE:

Dr Colin Axon warned some cloth masks have gaps that are invisible to the naked eye, but are 500,000 times the size of viral Covid particles

Standard face coverings are just "comfort blankets" that do little to reduce the spread of Covid particles, a scientist advising Sage on ventilation has said.

Robert Dingwall, who is a member of Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling (SPI-M), which reports to Sage, stated:
Robert Dingwall, professor of sociology at Nottingham Trent University, said: “The benefits of masks have always been uncertain because the quality of the evidence in both directions is so weak.

“Any benefit has probably been quite small, or it would have been obvious even from weak studies, and needs to be offset by the psychological impact on population fear and anxiety, on children’s learning and interactions with adults, on people with communication issues, and on the substantial number of adults who cannot wear masks because of underlying health conditions or other disorders, including previous trauma from assaults or abuse or worse

“In my opinion it is a positive step to make mask-wearing voluntary.”

A study, reported in this BBC article, found flimsy loose fitting masks did not protect against Sars-CoV-2 infection, whereas FFP3 masks did:

Wearing a high grade mask known as an FFP3 can provide up to 100% protection.
By contrast, there is a far greater chance of staff wearing standard issue surgical masks catching the virus.
[Standard] masks are relatively flimsy and loose-fitting and are not meant to screen out infectious aerosols - tiny virus particles that can linger in the air and are now widely accepted as a source of coronavirus infection.

The study found high levels of infection with standard masks, which was 47 times higher than when effective masks were worn. Obviously we don't have a 'control group' with no masks, but the results are very damning for the standard, flimsy surgical masks.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And that’s enough of that I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.