• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any idea when the next ECML diversion through Cambridge/Ely will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
Weekends 9th/10th, 16th/17th and 23rd/24th January 2021 and Sundays 7th and 14th February 2021.

Kieran1990

What is the usual pattern for LNER via Ely?
Assume an hourly Anglo-Scottish and bi hourly Leeds?
I’m travelling from Leeds to London on 16th so unsure if to avoid and go via Sheffield or maybe Manchester WCML option

DB

How will they work it? A bimode and an electric 5 car paired, plus bimode 9-cars, with the electric 9-cars not in use?

TheBigD

Established Member
What is the usual pattern for LNER via Ely?
Assume an hourly Anglo-Scottish and bi hourly Leeds?
I’m travelling from Leeds to London on 16th so unsure if to avoid and go via Sheffield or maybe Manchester WCML option
Earlier this year it was just an hourly Edinburgh service just using either 9 car or 5+5 car bimodes (14 diagrams) and a reduced service north of Edinburgh.
Now that LNER are using 5 car bimode + 5 car electric on diversions there could be up to 18 diagrams available this year allowing for a few more services to be diverted.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
How will they work it? A bimode and an electric 5 car paired, plus bimode 9-cars, with the electric 9-cars not in use?

At a guess the electric 9 coach units will run shuttles from say Doncaster/Peterborough to Edinburgh/Leeds.

Last edited:

gazr

From the 16th to the 24th, there will also be Single Line Working between Tallington Jn. and Helpston Jn. on the Down Slow.

TheBigD

Established Member
From the 16th to the 24th, there will also be Single Line Working between Tallington Jn. and Helpston Jn. on the Down Slow.
As only the down Stamford is electrified between Helpston and Peterborough I assume it will only be diesels/bimodes used on the services. Can't see there being single line working between Helpston and Peterborough on the down Stamford as well.

Class 170101

Established Member

I thought it has been said that a new signal had been installed to permit signalled moves on this route instead of Single Line Working.

Veteran Member
Please explain?
Sorry I wasn't clear.

SLW has a specific railway meaning, which doesn't apply here (assuming the signal is being provided).

However, I reckon your average non-railway person would understand Single Line Working simply to mean using only one line to run both ways.

Last edited:

lambo89

Sorry I wasn't clear.

SLW has a specific railway meaning, which doesn't apply here (assuming the signal is being provided).

However, I reckon your average non-railway person would understand Single Line Working simply to mean using only one line to run both ways.
Okay, well I think there is some uncertainty above that a signal will actually be provided, in which case it would be SLW with trains working in the 'wrong direction'. (Basically we agree I just wasn't sure where you were coming from!)

Veteran Member
Okay, well I think there is some uncertainty above that a signal will actually be provided, in which case it would be SLW with trains working in the 'wrong direction'. (Basically we agree I just wasn't sure where you were coming from!)
Yes we do! Without a signalled route it is true SLW

gazr

Looking at RTT, it looks like the idea of SLW has been shelved?

Status
Not open for further replies.