• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any trainee train driver job advertisements going anywhere ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ILoveLamp

I’d suggest looking at which TOC’s and FOC’s operate in an hour’s radius of where you live, then routinely check their websites, probably every few days, or check the forum pages as usually someone posts them up, but I wouldn’t rely on that. There are a few jobs advertised in the uk at present, but no good to you if over an hour away. Once you know who you are looking to potentially work for, you’ll find you are on their careers page almost daily! o_O

LCC106

Established Member
As ILoveLamp says, the best way to approach this is by looking on the TOC and FOC websites on a daily basis. I wouldn’t even bother with the email alerts as in my experience they don’t always come through. Not really a great idea to rely on other forum members to post any vacancies as A: they may not see them and B: even if they do, if it’s a job they’re going for themselves they probably wouldn’t want to post it on here and open themselves up to more competition for the vacancy!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Set up a bookmark folder on your web browser with all the various TOC and FOC careers pages in it, and go through that folder at least once a day. When I was searching for my first railway job, let alone drivers job, that's what I did. Sometimes I'd look two or three times. Eventually it paid off!

Honestly if you can’t be bothered to put the graft in to find local TOCs within an hours commute or even googling any sort of careers available then don’t bother.

TTDARL

GOOGLE (other internet search engines available) train / freight operating companies in the areas you are interested in. Go onto their careers / recruitment sites and check current vacancies. Also you can register for job alerts where the companies can inform you when they are advertising for specific roles you may be interested in. Job alerts can be a bit hit and miss with some companies though. A number of companies advertised for trainee train drivers the first half of 2020 so there are a lot of people in talent pools, on a recruitment process hold, going through delayed recruitment assessments, or being delayed in training due to COVID.

This is a firm but fair response. If you fall at the first hurdle of finding an opening then imagine how you'll do with the rules course!

The competition alone getting a driving job internally is hard enough, yet alone ‘off the street’, this forum was a godsend for me getting myself prepared for my driving assessment, MMI and DMI. And because I took the time to bother looking through hundreds of pages I think it massively helped me towards getting my key.

Maybe it was a little bit harsh but sadly you have to be when it comes to this industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.