• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Art Deco train journeys - 3/4 September

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Trips announced today using London Underground's preserved 1938 stock unit.

Be transported to a bygone era on a 1938 Art Deco-style vintage train this September!

The beautifully restored electrified train is made up of four cars complete with green and red moquette seating, grab handles and distinctive Art Deco light fittings.

The 1938 Stock was the first kind of Tube train to have all of the electrical equipment underneath the floor, combining the latest technology of the era with quintessential late 1930s style. These trains served London, on several deep-level Tube lines, for half a century.

4x trips daily:

10:46, 12:46, 14:46 Amersham-Watford-Amersham, via the North Curve
15:56 Amersham-Harrow only, via Main Line and Harrow North Junction

These trips also usually reverse off of one of the platforms at Amersham (1 or 2), which are relatively 'rare' track (there's a couple of booked moves off 1).

Watford trips £25 adults, £17 concessions & children; Harrow trips £17 adults, £11 concessions & children.

Full details and booking at: https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/heritage-events/art-deco-train-journey

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E759

Thank you. I had feared that covid had killed off any chance of the 38TS ever running again. Good to hear there will be some more outings. Tickets booked!

Pardon me for being boring, but from an art history point of view does 1938 Tube Stock count as 'Art Deco'? I was always taught that it was one first steps in Modernism (along with the Holden stations).

1Q18

Pardon me for being boring, but from an art history point of view does 1938 Tube Stock count as 'Art Deco'? I was always taught that it was one first steps in Modernism (along with the Holden stations).
Presumably that would be something you'd need to discuess with the LT Museum curatorial staff.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
First I've ever heard of the 1938 stock being so described, and I spent a week in the early 1970s as a L.T. trainee Traffic Administrator riding around all day in them, including a cab ride from Morden to High Barnet on the warmest day of the year! No wonder the Northern Line was known as the Misery Line at the time! Frankly, a museum is the best place for them. From an artistic point of view they're fine, just so long as you never have to travel on one on a hot day.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
The LTM have marketed the '38 trips under the 'Art Deco' moniker for at least a decade now. As mentioned, you'd be best bringing up your concerns directly; I've simply copied the official name of the trips as used for booking etc.

Enthusiast

I suppose “Art Deco” is subjective rather than having a closely defined set of criteria to follow. There is no doubt that many railway vehicles of the 1930s were described as Art Deco with some justification. Many US locomotives and passenger vehicles were so described, in particular the “Twin Cities Zephyr” and the Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 streamlined electric locomotives. In the UK Gresley A4s were definitely considered Art Deco (witness the opening sequence of “Poirot”).

I believe 1938 stock scrapes in to the definition. Compared to their pre-1938 standard stock predecessors they had much more flowing lines and a curved front roofline with the integrated ventilator. The interior fixtures and fittings were also very much of the period. Pre-38 stock was much more “functional” in appearance, with a slab front, connection pipes and other dangly bits, not to mention the louvred control gear compartment taking up one third of motor cars. But I think the clincher is the design of the streamlined driving motor cars among the “Experimental” 1935 stock from which the 1938 stock was developed. There is no doubt these qualified as “Art Deco” and for that reason I believe the production 1938 stock similarly qualifies.

urbophile

Established Member
There is a strong correlation between Art Deco and Modernism. Think of the countless suburban cinemas of the 1930s which are not short of the glitz and bling associated with the Jazz Age, yet architecturally , with their simple lines and plain brickwork, are Modern in the same way as the Holden stations. The trains share a similar aesthetic; some of the details, especially the light fittings and the moquette seating fabrics, are very clearly Deco.

I just wanted to leave the following here for reference and for anyone else who wants to know the empty movements the 1938 Stock will be making. Kindly provided by Dstock7080 in another thread:

T746 Sat 3/9
Neasden depot d.09.18
Wembley Pk 1 09.26
FL
HoH 4 a.09.38 d.09.42
LL
Amersham 1 a.10.19 d.1046
shuttle Amersham-Watford until:
Amersham 1 d.15.56
ML
HoH 5 a.16.34 d.16.38
Neasden depot a.16.55

T746 SUN 4/9
Neasden depot d.09.18
Wembley Pk 1 09.26
FL
HoH 4 a.09.38 d.09.42
LL
Amersham 1 d.15.56
ML
HoH 5 a.16.34 d.16.38
Neasden depot a.16.55

bluegoblin7

Established Member
It is worth noting that with the current higher temperatures routing south of Watford South Junction will be subject to change - there are restrictions on the use of various points at Harrow on the Hill and the train may be required to run local line throughout, and/or be replatformed. I expect this will mainly affect the evening run on both days.

Does anyone know if there is any Real Time Trains equivalent for tracking trains on the London Underground or know of any other reliable trackers for London Underground trains?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Does anyone know if there is any Real Time Trains equivalent for tracking trains on the London Underground or know of any other reliable trackers for London Underground trains?

Intertube seems to be recommended by many for passenger trains, although I can’t comment as I’ve not used it personally (having access to the internal systems).

However, assuming you are asking with reference to the 1938 stock specifically (given the thread), the answer is no. Combined with the legacy signalling on the Met line and the operational challenges of the train, it won’t appear in any of the open data feeds in a meaningful and identifiable way.

From an artistic point of view they're fine, just so long as you never have to travel on one on a hot day.
Couldn't have been any warmer than 24°C on Saturday, but it was boiling when the doors were closed. Those tiny opening windows and vents are very ineffective at ventilating the carriages. Everything else about it was actually quite comfortable, but the heat was fairly uncomfortable considering the train wasn't even at capacity so god knows how hot it would get at capacity or running underground. A great little train at the end of the day, but If I had to commute on the lines they worked, I'd much prefer to travel on their replacements thank you very much.

jumble

I just wanted to leave the following here for reference and for anyone else who wants to know the empty movements the 1938 Stock will be making. Kindly provided by Dstock7080 in another thread:

T746 Sat 3/9
Neasden depot d.09.18
Wembley Pk 1 09.26
FL
HoH 4 a.09.38 d.09.42
LL
Amersham 1 d.15.56
ML
HoH 5 a.16.34 d.16.38
Neasden depot a.16.55

T746 SUN 4/9
Neasden depot d.09.18
Wembley Pk 1 09.26
FL
HoH 4 a.09.38 d.09.42
LL
Amersham 1 d.15.56
ML
HoH 5 a.16.34 d.16.38
Neasden depot a.16.55

We were travelling back from the Amersham on the 16.50 ex Amersham
I must have imagined that we passed the 38 coming up the Main towards Amersham around Moor Park
Perhaps one of our resident line controllers could put our minds at rest
( we could not go on the 38 itself because LTM don't like me much)

Regards Summer the Spaniel

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Nope, you are quite correct. As I predicted(!), points issues at Harrow prevented the train from crossing to the Local lines at Harrow North Junction, with the train terminating in platform 2 in consequence.

The train returned empty to Rickmansworth, reversed, and ran empty to Neasden via the Local to Harrow and the Fast to Wembley.

E759

Great event - again! What a privilege to be able to ride this stock on the network. Special mention to a certain passenger who corrected the steward regarding the number of movements over the Watford curve ha hah! Shame we didn't get to Wembley Park, perhaps next time.

njr001

Great Event as you say, I think special mention should go to one the carriage stewards for his handmade moquette Elizabeth Line & Overground waistcoats see attached image with Andy Byford

Attachments

• IMG_6861.jpg
    IMG_6861.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Status
Not open for further replies.