• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Artifact Id

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crangar

I'm a metal dectorist and had the opportunity to detect on some fields which I later found out ran along the side of the Wisbech to Upwell tramway which was shutdown in 1966, found a metal collar hand stamped 'LETCHWORTH' horizontally around it with the serial number '04474' vertically there is one further marking partially obscured by corrosion but 'G__N' is visible. I'm not sure if its rail related but I wanted to see if anyone can help, I've attached photographs of this artifact and some nails which we also think maybe related to the track.

Attachments

• received_974387226374307.jpeg
    received_974387226374307.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 64
  • received_242609863837941.jpeg
    received_242609863837941.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 63
  • received_2739179519704170.jpeg
    received_2739179519704170.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 59
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pinza-C55

The first and last photos look to me like Rope Ferrules which were put on the ends of ropes to stop them fraying. I've seen a couple of company marked examples but they are very rare.

WesternLancer

Established Member
The first and last photos look to me like Rope Ferrules which were put on the ends of ropes to stop them fraying. I've seen a couple of company marked examples but they are very rare.
Interesting thought. I guess beyond the instinct of the railway to brand everything as a matter of course, that would certainly help retain your stocks of rope which might be quite likely to end up anywhere .

randyrippley

Established Member
In the second photo the first and third items look like hand made nails - the first looks like a roof slate nail, though fairly hefty - maybe for a stone tile? Or could it be a rail spike?
Is the second a knife? Hard to tell from the photo whether the "blade" is flat or round
The third item may be a studded horse shoe nail ???

Last edited:

Pinza-C55

Interesting thought. I guess beyond the instinct of the railway to brand everything as a matter of course, that would certainly help retain your stocks of rope which might be quite likely to end up anywhere .

My own company (the NER) was scrupulous about having everything marked, like sacks and on handlamps the oil burners were invariably stamped with the company initials. If they were rope ferrules it would make sense in an agricultural area like Wisbech because they would be used to tie tarpaulins over the produce on the wagons. The ropes may have been burned.

Tio Terry

Could be GEGN, Great Eastern Great Northern as the Joint Line from March to Lincoln was known as.

Status
Not open for further replies.